ADVERTISEMENT

Best PSU team you saw in person?

I actuaglly thought the 81 team was better than 82.
They might have been - that team was playing as well as anyone at the end of the year. That's one of the reasons I don't like the current CFP - there have been some 2 loss teams that had some bad luck or maybe developed a little late into what they could be (our 1981 and 1991 teams come to mind). That 1981 team had 10 players drafted, including two in the first round (Mike Munchak and Sean Farrell) to go with the 9 who were drafted from the 1982 team (Curt Warner and Todd Blackledge in the first 7 picks).

I may be wrong, but believe I once read the 1969 defense scored more points that year than they allowed from opponents. They gave up 90 points for the year. Few teams even come close to that defense.

The offense wasn’t a juggernaut like the 1994 team but had All Americans like Kwalik and Pittman and future AAs like Franco and Lydel.

1994 was jaw dropping. Best team I've ever seen. I may be wrong but I think the average scoring drive for the season was less than 2 minutes. That's just ridiculous.
One of the great crimes in the history of College Football was that team finishing 2nd in all the polls that mattered. F -Nebraska.

Gotta go with 86.
Obviously 94 was the best offense, but I think 86 offense > 94 defense
End of year defense was decimated... defense in first 3 games was strong. Give me both teams at their best and i'd take 94. imo, of course :)

It is like your children -- which do you like the best. Have been watching PSU in person 47 years as a season ticker holder and the on TV forever it seems. Remember the days when there were only 2 games on any given Saturday, i. e., 1 PM and 4 PM. My favorite, all of them, but 67, 68, 69, and 70 were a helluva run.

Reactions: Jerry
Penn State women’s volley ball team of ten years ago. Consecutive national titles with beautiful, classy, intelligent women. Champions all the way around.

Not sure if I say 1969 or if it was 1970 team in person, but I'll go with 1973 team, my freshman year of the four at U.Park of which I attended every home game. Undefeated team, Heisman trophy winning RB in Cappeletti, lots to like.

I also attended games during the 1982 and 1986 seasons......

I'm going to cheat and add "or on television" to the question.

In my mind, it comes down to '69 versus '86 versus '94.

The '69 team was dominant on D, with five All-Americans (to include Honorable Mentions), undefeated, and totally throttled the then Big-8 champ in the Orange Bowl.

The '94 team featured one of the best offenses in the history of college football, went undefeated, with only two games being relatively close (Michigan and Illinois).

But I go with '86, which might have been Joe's favorite team based on a couple quotes of his. Wonderful, tough trademark defense and teamwork. Undefeated. National champs. And of all three of the mentioned squads, the '86 group won the biggest game of all against the toughest team of all.

It was the high point of Joe's career, but we didn't realize it at the time. I've watched the replay a number of times...and still love Bob Griese's line after, like, the 4th Penn State interception: Vinnie's seeing linebackers where there aren't any. Vinnie probably still sees them to this day.

I thought that the 1982 and 1986 National Championship tams were both great, and 1994's offense was without equal in the day.

But I'll go with 1969, in a day when defense did in fact win championships, that defense was otherworldly.
ANY that Franklin didn't coach!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT