ADVERTISEMENT

Backup 197-pounder Kellan Stout transferring to Pitt...

too bad. I always was rooting and hoping for an emerging star in the PSU lineup!

Good luck to the kid.

Hopefully Gavin changes Pitt's personality and the kid builds upon his PSU skill set.

Reactions: diggerpup
I'm cool with this on a bunch of levels:
- current & future PSU depth coverage of 184/197: Cutch, Cassar, Nickal, Rasheed, Beard
- pretty easy to root for him at Pitt
- #actually, after that shitshow of a coaching search, and after listening to Keith Gavin on Bonus Points, and after re-learning his entire wrestling, training & coaching path, I'm far more inclined to root for Pitt than laugh at them.
- Pitt has an incredibly marketable future, and trotting out another quality local lad is an excellent fit

Best of luck to him but you think he'd go somewhere that has a wrestling program with a pulse like Edinboro or somewhere.

Oooh, interesting question: how long until Gavin has Pitt regularly finishing ahead of Edinboro. Tim Flynn's last 5 years:
2013: 14th
2014: 5th
2015: 3rd
2016: 34th
2017: 20th

Pitt's last 5:
2013: 15th
2014: 22nd
2015: 21st
2016: 39th
2017: 34th

Classy of Cael to grant him a full release, especially to an in-state rival.

Rival ? o_O

Pitt has been so recently irrelevant at wrestling that Cael & Cody punted them off the schedule.
Actually, Pitt was off the schedule at the end of Troy's tenure, and remained off for 4 years, the longest they were off the schedule since prior to 1950. Cael and company scheduled them again for 6 years starting 2009-10, now they're off again, but not due to relevance. With only 16 competition dates, and the only current safe out-of-conference opponent is Lehigh, it's a numbers game for all other PA schools. Pitt will be back on the schedule at some point, which is good for PA wrestling and recruiting.

Actually, Pitt was off the schedule at the end of Troy's tenure, and remained off for 4 years, the longest they were off the schedule since prior to 1950. Cael and company scheduled them again for 6 years starting 2009-10, now they're off again, but not due to relevance. With only 16 competition dates, and the only current safe out-of-conference opponent is Lehigh, it's a numbers game for all other PA schools. Pitt will be back on the schedule at some point, which is good for PA wrestling and recruiting.
It is the competition dates, but relevance is important also.

If Pitt was an occasional threat and a reliable quality competition I believe Pitt would be scheduled more frequently. However, Pitt is currently very much nothing more than a middle of the road opponent that wrestles a very unentertaining "in reverse" style.

Hopefully Gavin can change that.

It is the competition dates, but relevance is important also.

If Pitt was an occasional threat and a reliable quality competition I believe Pitt would be scheduled more frequently. However, Pitt is currently very much nothing more than a middle of the road opponent that wrestles a very unentertaining "in reverse" style.

Hopefully Gavin can change that.
This discussion is "bigger picture" than that...it's simply not about Pitt's "relevance" at all.

In 2014-15, the B1G went from 8 conference duals to 9, in essence taking away one out-of-conference dual each year. It's a numbers game...9 Conference Duals, 2 in-season tournaments, and Lehigh, that's 12, leaving 4 non-conference duals per season on average to schedule, where there was 5. This made it tougher to schedule any one specific team...even Lehigh for that matter, though longevity (we've wrestled them every year since 1934) means they get scheduled first after the B1G Duals are set.

Then there's the bigger-than-known challenge of open dates. If two schools want to wrestle a dual, but can't find a date that suits them both, it doesn't get scheduled. This happens FAR more than folks realize.

Sorry, but your posts have an anti-Pitt tone to them, when it's nothing more than the number of competition dates, and/or finding common open dates, maybe even a little move-around-the-state-and-help-other-teams thinking (Lock Haven, Clarion, and Bloomsburg have all been on the schedule once or more in the past 7 years).

This discussion is "bigger picture" than that...it's simply not about Pitt's "relevance" at all.

In 2014-15, the B1G went from 8 conference duals to 9, in essence taking away one out-of-conference dual each year. It's a numbers game...9 Conference Duals, 2 in-season tournaments, and Lehigh, that's 12, leaving 4 non-conference duals per season on average to schedule, where there was 5. This made it tougher to schedule any one specific team...even Lehigh for that matter, though longevity (we've wrestled them every year since 1934) means they get scheduled first after the B1G Duals are set.

Then there's the bigger-than-known challenge of open dates. If two schools want to wrestle a dual, but can't find a date that suits them both, it doesn't get scheduled. This happens FAR more than folks realize.

Sorry, but your posts have an anti-Pitt tone to them, when it's nothing more than the number of competition dates, and/or finding common open dates, maybe even a little move-around-the-state-and-help-other-teams thinking (Lock Haven, Clarion, and Bloomsburg have all been on the schedule once or more in the past 7 years).
I've never lived in Pennsylvania, so I've never had the Pitt hate myself. I have witnessed it both directions of course at various events. I don't think his post was that anti-Pitt, just reality.
You certainly know more about scheduling than I do, but I would hope that if Pitt had lineups like tOSU, OSU,IA or even Cornell, Michigan etc, there would be more priority placed on scheduling them.

Rival ? o_O

Pitt has been so recently irrelevant at wrestling that Cael & Cody punted them off the schedule.

FYI my original post was more of a "not-so-subtle" shot at a lunatic poster on another board who posted identical sentiments about his selfless coach letting a kid transfer to a rival in-state institution while, at the same time (of course), slamming Cael. Poor timing on his part, to say the least.

I've never lived in Pennsylvania, so I've never had the Pitt hate myself. I have witnessed it both directions of course at various events. I don't think his post was that anti-Pitt, just reality.
You certainly know more about scheduling than I do, but I would hope that if Pitt had lineups like tOSU, OSU,IA or even Cornell, Michigan etc, there would be more priority placed on scheduling them.

Absolutely on the bolded part. However, they haven't had a lineup like that in recent memory so the point is moot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT