ADVERTISEMENT

Ashnault 6th year granted

El-Jefe

Jul 27, 2012
Article also says "There is a good chance Ashnault will move up to the 149-pound weight class for his final season."

The way they are handing them out, I guess this means Shak could get a 6th year. Missed most of redshirt and 75% of last year.

I thought I knew the requirements for receiving a medical RS, but I clearly do not. Don't understand how Ashnault qualified. Nevertheless, I'm happy for him.

Hard to believe that he and Jimmy G were the same class year

RU seems to know how to handle transfers and medical RS-
Im thinking the made an offer the NCAA couldn't refuse.

"Give us a 6th year or we'll tell Gravina where you live."

20170929_RU_WRS_Portraits_016.jpg

I thought I knew the requirements for receiving a medical RS, but I clearly do not. Don't understand how Ashnault qualified. Nevertheless, I'm happy for him.

I'm with you. I was always under the impression to even be considered you needed to have lost 2 seasons due to injury. How can he be a 3-time AA and meet this threshold? Obviously that must not be the threshold...

If it weren't for B1G scheduling, Gravina could wind up wrestling 5 B1G regular season duals against multiple teams, which just seems absurd to me.

Good for him. I met his neighbor who is a PSU alum at Rose Bowl last year. He said Anthony is a great young man

I'm with you. I was always under the impression to even be considered you needed to have lost 2 seasons due to injury. How can he be a 3-time AA and meet this threshold? Obviously that must not be the threshold...
It has never been clear cut, but missing 2 years with 2 separate injuries was a guideline. I guess AA having surgery on 3 different body parts at the same time helped his case. Hope he is fully recovered as he could be RU's 1st N. Champ.

Reactions: Used2BEerie
The NCAA must of really changed how they view 6th year eligibility because not that long ago there was no way an athlete would of gotten another year after taking a redshirt and competing in 3 post seasons.

It has never been clear cut, but missing 2 years with 2 separate injuries was a guideline. I guess AA having surgery on 3 different body parts at the same time helped his case. Hope he is fully recovered as he could be RU's 1st N. Champ.

I wouldn't count on that. Coming off a year of inactivity and labrum surgery, I'd view him as more likely to not place than to win a title.

The NCAA must of really changed how they view 6th year eligibility because not that long ago there was no way an athlete would of gotten another year after taking a redshirt and competing in 3 post seasons.

Get ready for Ke-Shawn Hayes to get one after wrestling 27 matches his RS year.

haha..good luck with that..Matter would you even wake up if you couldn't talk about Rutgers?

It is an Ashnault thread, right? But, yeah, a guy that never finished higher than 4th when healthy should be considered a favorite after two major surgeries and a year of inactivity. Rutgers thinking, the same kind that had Richie Lewis being a national champ and has Donnie Pritzlaff guaranteeing a team trophy in 2019. Pretty sure none of these are happening.

Reactions: funkisfun12
Not specific to Ashenalt but you get 5 years so theoretically you can be injured in 2 and AA the other 3.

At what point in the season did he stop competing during his redshirt. Maybe they "remembered" an injury the rest of us don't.

Not specific to Ashenalt but you get 5 years so theoretically you can be injured in 2 and AA the other 3.

At what point in the season did he stop competing during his redshirt. Maybe they "remembered" an injury the rest of us don't.
Ashnault's shirt year (2014), he competed at opens on 11/3 (8 matches), 11/10 (5 matches), and 3/2 (5 matches).

It is an Ashnault thread, right? But, yeah, a guy that never finished higher than 4th when healthy should be considered a favorite after two major surgeries and a year of inactivity. Rutgers thinking, the same kind that had Richie Lewis being a national champ and has Donnie Pritzlaff guaranteeing a team trophy in 2019. Pretty sure none of these are happening.

They’re a perennial top 5 team that’s never finished higher than 11th, and they’re also our rival in football. And NYC’s hometown school, only an hour away by bus!

Maybe Zain can go for a 6th because he was screwed out of the Hodge 3 years ago. IMO you wrestle any more than 5 matches (maybe 10 if they are the first 10), that year should count and only injury being reason for consideration. I prefer the idea for someone who has had 2 major injuries affecting the bulk of 2 seasons. Cassar should skate in given what seems to be the new standard.

They’re a perennial top 5 team that’s never finished higher than 11th, and they’re also our rival in football. And NYC’s hometown school, only an hour away by bus!
I’ll go with Columbia there before I say RU

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT