ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone still watching Phillies

psulongago

Aug 29, 2001
I know it is football season but analytics genius Kapler made a defensive change in the SECOND inning up 2 - 1. Removes potential offense for questionable defense (Kingery). Now, after 5 innings down 5 - 2 to Mets.

I know it is football season but analytics genius Kapler made a defensive change in the SECOND inning up 2 - 1. Removes potential offense for questionable defense (Kingery). Now, after 5 innings down 5 - 2 to Mets.
The only thing that can help the Phillies is if the owner(s) open their wallets and hire Theo Epstein as President/GM.

The Mets even gave them a break by holding Jake DeGrom off because of the weather. Regardless of the result today, the Mets win the Phillies again this year and that has become common theme.

I just hope they end up with a winning record given their play through the first two-thirds or so of the season. But right now I’m sick of them — Klentak and Kapler mainly.

Reactions: harjeff
Klentak gave up the season when he gave up the trade deadline. This team desperately needed bats and he chose not to pay the asking prices. But, this season will not determine whether he was right. It will take a few years to see how things play out with free agency and the prospects he chose not to part with.

The only good thing is the Braves are doing their best to give away the division. Unfortunately the Phils don't seem able to take it

Reactions: jp3272
Klentak gave up the season when he gave up the trade deadline. This team desperately needed bats and he chose not to pay the asking prices. But, this season will not determine whether he was right. It will take a few years to see how things play out with free agency and the prospects he chose not to part with.
I agree but I have to say that this team/organization has a major issue with fundamentals. A good example occurred this week in their only win against the Marlins. Kingery hits a gapper to right center and he's full speed past first. He's closing on 2B and he looks *backward* to right center to see what's going on, almost trips over 2B and barely beats the throw at 3B. Don't they teach their players to look at the 3B coach in those situations? Guess not. From the inability to lay down a bunt, to make contact with men on base, to defensive shortcomings, I just can't see where this team has the players to win the pennant.

Reactions: WestSideLion
I agree but I have to say that this team/organization has a major issue with fundamentals. A good example occurred this week in their only win against the Marlins. Kingery hits a gapper to right center and he's full speed past first. He's closing on 2B and he looks *backward* to right center to see what's going on, almost trips over 2B and barely beats the throw at 3B. Don't they teach their players to look at the 3B coach in those situations? Guess not. From the inability to lay down a bunt, to make contact with men on base, to defensive shortcomings, I just can't see where this team has the players to win the pennant.
I suspect that’s why Klentak stayed put at the trade deadline. He knew their time was limited and needed way more to contend than one deadline could provide. Really, how many Phillies positional players could crack the Red Sox, Astros, Cubs or Dodgers lineups?

Reactions: aquapong
Excluding the 2 game split with Boston back in Mid-August, The Phils have now come out on the losing end of their last 9 series. Surprisingly, they've avoided being swept in all 9. I'm sure one is coming soon though.

Last edited:
Starting pitching carried this team early. Outside of Nola, it has not been good in the 2nd half. Adding the bats were helpful, but clearly not elite options. Have to be realistic about the opportunity this year. Quite frankly, having a winning record is a huge accomplishment. What they do in free agency this winter will be critical.

Excluding the 2 game split with Boston back in Mid-August, The Phils have now come out on the losing end of the last 9 series. Surprising, they've avoided being swept in all 9. I'm sure one is coming soon though.
Well, they have achieved some consistency. :rolleyes:

Reactions: PSUoh90
The Phillies should have pick up Hamels and let the young kids play till the end instead of trading and picking up all these vets. The lineup Kapler is throwing out there now are not the guys that got them to first place. Throw in no real closer and they are toast.

Reactions: PSUoh90
The Phillies should have pick up Hamels and let the young kids play till the end instead of trading and picking up all these vets. The lineup Kapler is throwing out there now are not the guys that got them to first place. Throw in no real closer and they are toast.

I agree whole heartedly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT