ADVERTISEMENT

Kudos to your team.....hope you beat Michigan

NOVABuck45

Jun 25, 2022
You're obviously disappointed in the result (just as OSU fans probably will be if/when we lose to Michigan in late November), but you all are still probably one of the best 5 or 6 teams in the country. Washington struggled late to beat 1-6 Arizona State. Oklahoma struggled to beat a terrible UCF team. FSU is up and down. Outside of UGA/Michigan/OSU, you guys are right there with anybody. So, not all is lost.

Tremendous defensive effort, as expected. I for one look forward to seeing all those defensive studs go pro -- as soon as possible. Diaz is the real deal as a coordinator. A bit surprised you didn't run the ball more -- I really do think our defense is potentially vulnerable to the power running game. Allar just doesn't have weapons, period. I've never seen WR talent this bad at Penn State.

Anyway, looks like a 10-2 season at worst for you all, and another top-10 finish. As I've said since last year, the OSU-PSU game next year in Happy Valley is the one that ends our winning streak, I think. Assuming you all can get Allar some weapons and don't lose too much on defense.

You're obviously disappointed in the result (just as OSU fans probably will be if/when we lose to Michigan in late November), but you all are still probably one of the best 5 or 6 teams in the country. Washington struggled late to beat 1-6 Arizona State. Oklahoma struggled to beat a terrible UCF team. FSU is up and down. Outside of UGA/Michigan/OSU, you guys are right there with anybody. So, not all is lost.

Tremendous defensive effort, as expected. I for one look forward to seeing all those defensive studs go pro -- as soon as possible. Diaz is the real deal as a coordinator. A bit surprised you didn't run the ball more -- I really do think our defense is potentially vulnerable to the power running game. Allar just doesn't have weapons, period. I've never seen WR talent this bad at Penn State.

Anyway, looks like a 10-2 season at worst for you all, and another top-10 finish. As I've said since last year, the OSU-PSU game next year in Happy Valley is the one that ends our winning streak, I think. Assuming you all can get Allar some weapons and don't lose too much on defense.
Excellent take. Exactly what our fans are saying. Harrison for Heisman.

Reactions: jimarnp and b&w1987

Thanks and I agree with your assessment of the other teams in the top 10. After the top 3 it's unimpressive. It's just 10-2 is stagnant and not a great year when our best win will be Iowa who couldn't score against some quality HS teams (exaggeration but not by much)

Finally an honest evaluation of this game. I don't think this is the OSU teams of old..But they have some of the best 4 or 5 players at their position. Whether they're current NFL players now or not, they're extremely talented. Harrison Jr is uncoverable. Covering him with man coverage is insane.

Finally an honest evaluation of this game. I don't think this is the OSU teams of old..But they have some of the best 4 or 5 players at their position. Whether they're current NFL players now or not, they're extremely talented. Harrison Jr is uncoverable. Covering him with man coverage is insane.

It's a very different Buckeye team than what we've seen in the Ryan Day era. Definitely not an elite offense, but the defense makes up for it. My biggest concern is the inability to run the ball consistently -- that's the missing piece. But I'm okay with having a QB that isn't going to toss 40+ TD passes. I'd rather have fewer TD passes and a stronger defense than go back to what we had in 2021.

I suspect Allar put too much pressure on himself and was too amped up. I'd bet he rebounds just fine, but damn, you all need some WRs around him.

Your defense will definitely be good enough to keep you in the game vs. Michigan. Making some big plays on offense will be the deciding factor, and I hope you all find something in the passing game to do that before November 11th.

"A bit surprised you didn't run the ball more"

You aren't the only one. Ridiculous that PSU threw 42 passes.

Reactions: Waltwam and psu00
Classy post. Thanks nova buck. Although we clearly aren't your teams equal, there seems to be mutual respect between both programs. Beat Michigan

You ain't rooting for us against Michigan and you know it.

• Haha
Reactions: bluehair666
You ain't rooting for us against Michigan and you know it.

LOL.

I care first and foremost for Ohio State. In most scenarios, whatever benefits OSU is what I'll root for. Frankly, the PSU-Michigan game doesn't really impact us terribly much one way or the other. Fact is, we have to beat Michigan to get to where we want to be. We control our destiny in that sense. If we don't beat Michigan, then I'd rather Penn State win the Big Ten East via a tiebreaker scenario than Michigan win the Big Ten East.

Classy post. Thanks nova buck. Although we clearly aren't your teams equal, there seems to be mutual respect between both programs. Beat Michigan

Something I've noticed over the past handful of years is the mutual respect between players after the game. Even before our final snap in victory formation yesterday, guys on both sides of the line were giving each other handshakes. Other than the 2019 pre-game stuff, I've always detected nothing but respect between our players and coaches (aside from the usual chirping between players, which is all part of competition at this level).

Obviously I don't want PSU to get to a point where they overtake us, but I think James Franklin is a really good coach, a good role model, and a much, much more admirable adversary than Jim Harbaugh.

i think that ship sailed like 20 years ago

It's true that the Jim Tressel era sorta brought OSU up a level.....but if you all find a way to get pressure on JT Barrett in that 4th quarter in 2017.......or if Tuf Borland doesn't force that Miles Sanders fumble when PSU was driving up 13-0 in 2018.......or if Franklin doesn't call the horrendous 4th and 5 play right into the teeth of Chase Young.......things could have turned out much differently trajectory-wise in this series.

Many OSU fans say that 2016 was a fluke, but personally I think the 2017 game set the tone. If PSU wins that game, then PSU takes firm command of the Big Ten, and who knows what happens recruiting-wise.

Unlike the Iowas or Wisconsins or Michigan States of the conference, Penn State actually has the potential to do what Michigan is doing now -- taking control of the conference. You all are probably an elite WR and maybe another solid O-lineman away from being at that level.

Reactions: Waltwam and jimarnp
Many OSU fans say that 2016 was a fluke, but personally I think the 2017 game set the tone. If PSU wins that game, then PSU takes firm command of the Big Ten, and who knows what happens recruiting-wise.
2016 was fluky but Franklin blew it in both 2017 and 2018. really psu could have won both of those, and definitely should have won the 2017 game after leading by 18 at two different points in the game. both games involved terrible play calling.

Reactions: Waltwam and psu00
Something I've noticed over the past handful of years is the mutual respect between players after the game. Even before our final snap in victory formation yesterday, guys on both sides of the line were giving each other handshakes. Other than the 2019 pre-game stuff, I've always detected nothing but respect between our players and coaches (aside from the usual chirping between players, which is all part of competition at this level).

Obviously I don't want PSU to get to a point where they overtake us, but I think James Franklin is a really good coach, a good role model, and a much, much more admirable adversary than Jim Harbaugh.
sure, everybody loves a bad gameday coach, lol....franklin is a great recruiter, has all the soundbites, but always gums up something on gameday..pretty sure diaz has the gravitas to tell franklin to keep his nose out of the defense...also pretty sure yurcovich(sp) doesn't on offense...

Good luck the rest of the way. In the case that OSU can't beat UM, I'd much rather PSU win any 3 way tie and go to the CFP. I'm certainly not one of those OSU fans that wishes UM was good "for the sake of the rivalry". I like it when they stink like they did in the Richrod years and am really angry that they won the last 2 years through this elaborate sign stealing operation, if the allegations turn out to be true (which I think they are).

Good luck the rest of the way. In the case that OSU can't beat UM, I'd much rather PSU win any 3 way tie and go to the CFP. I'm certainly not one of those OSU fans that wishes UM was good "for the sake of the rivalry". I like it when they stink like they did in the Richrod years and am really angry that they won the last 2 years through this elaborate sign stealing operation, if the allegations turn out to be true (which I think they are).
You seem like a pretty classy fan. Wish the rest of the folks at OSU were. Never been treated worse anywhere like we've been treated at OSU.

What a strange perspective. May I ask why you believe this? That is, why do you think Ohio State fans would root for Michigan to take one step closer to a national championship?
It’s kind of his hang up. He has said the same about me as a Michigan fan. No disrespect toward you but I wouldn’t root for OSU ever. Just like you wouldn’t for Michigan.

Reactions: LandoComando
What a strange perspective. May I ask why you believe this? That is, why do you think Ohio State fans would root for Michigan to take one step closer to a national championship?
He wants to believe that Ohio State/Michigan/Big Ten are all involved in a scheme to screw over Penn State.

It's a very different Buckeye team than what we've seen in the Ryan Day era. Definitely not an elite offense, but the defense makes up for it. My biggest concern is the inability to run the ball consistently -- that's the missing piece. But I'm okay with having a QB that isn't going to toss 40+ TD passes. I'd rather have fewer TD passes and a stronger defense than go back to what we had in 2021.

I suspect Allar put too much pressure on himself and was too amped up. I'd bet he rebounds just fine, but damn, you all need some WRs around him.

Your defense will definitely be good enough to keep you in the game vs. Michigan. Making some big plays on offense will be the deciding factor, and I hope you all find something in the passing game to do that before November 11th.
When you have Marvin Harrison, YOU ARE ELITE. He was the difference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT