ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else baffled by our play calling in the Army game?

Jerademan74

Gold Member
Jun 29, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I again think that we are wasting Hack's QB talents by continually asking him to make horizontal passes (not his strength) when we seemingly have WR's who can catch the ball when thrown on the money downfield. Ditto for TE's. That TD pass to Gesicki was a great example! We had 1 passing series against Army that worked terrifically (3 passes totaling 75 yards and a TD). I don't believe the BS being spewed by some that our receivers don't run routes that get them open. Maybe they aren't NFL receivers, but we have an NFL QB. I was always taught to keep doing something that is working well until the other team can stop it. Our receivers were somehow open. Therefore, what do we do? We go back to the same plays that Army has successfully been able to defend. This seems like reverse logic to me!

I again think that we are wasting Hack's QB talents by continually asking him to make horizontal passes (not his strength) when we seemingly have WR's who can catch the ball when thrown on the money downfield. Ditto for TE's. That TD pass to Gesicki was a great example! We had 1 passing series against Army that worked terrifically (3 passes totaling 75 yards and a TD). I don't believe the BS being spewed by some that our receivers don't run routes that get them open. Maybe they aren't NFL receivers, but we have an NFL QB. I was always taught to keep doing something that is working well until the other team can stop it. Our receivers were somehow open. Therefore, what do we do? We go back to the same plays that Army has successfully been able to defend. This seems like reverse logic to me!

I was kind of shocked it took 3 quarters to test Army deep. In fact it was pretty idiotic as it was not a monsoon.

It is tough to keep doing what is successful when the offense is not really consistently successful at anything other than running Barkley.

I see plenty of dropped passes and bad passes.

Change that subject line to Anybody baffled by our play calling in the __________ game

Not really. I think the plan was to keep it vanilla, get some people healed up, and get out with a win. It wasn't sexy, but all three boxes got checked.

Read the press conference notes...there's your answer. James is trying to avoid turnovers, and "third and long". The clear inference is he doesn't trust Hackenberg to make the throws some are calling for. Given the accuracy issues we've observed, his concern is well founded. In its current situation, this team simply cannot afford pick sixes...just can't.

Read the press conference notes...there's your answer. James is trying to avoid turnovers, and "third and long". The clear inference is he doesn't trust Hackenberg to make the throws some are calling for. Given the accuracy issues we've observed, his concern is well founded. In its current situation, this team simply cannot afford pick sixes...just can't.

His accuracy issues seems to be on the shorter throws. I don't think JF trusts the protection and that is why PSU has a 10 yard and in passing attack. Hack needs to stop throwing fastballs from 3 feet away and start to play pitch and catch again. You don't get points for a 90mph incompletion.

Reactions: Obliviax
Donovan may be well educated but I don't think he has been a very good gameday coach. I wish Hack could call some of his own plays like he did for Bill O'Brien. There is a problem when the fans can consistently figure out the next play. Seldom in his plan does he gain a lot of yards up the middle or get any yards after his 1-3 yard passes. There is a lot of talent on Penn State's team that needs to be able to show their strength. Look at the success with some of the long passes. It seems there is a lack of creativity in the game plans - No reverses, end arounds, shuffle passes, etc.

Is what we saw in the Army game, or any game for that matter, play calling? Coulda' fooled me.

His accuracy issues seems to be on the shorter throws. I don't think JF trusts the protection and that is why PSU has a 10 yard and in passing attack. Hack needs to stop throwing fastballs from 3 feet away and start to play pitch and catch again. You don't get points for a 90mph incompletion.
Exactly. Hack is not a short pass type QB. Does this need improvement if he goes to the NFL? Of course! But he is pretty darned good at intermediate to long passes when given protection! Let him wing it on first and second downs as he did in the 1 drive against Army that resulted in a TD on 3 plays!

Exactly. Hack is not a short pass type QB. Does this need improvement if he goes to the NFL? Of course! But he is pretty darned good at intermediate to long passes when given protection! Let him wing it on first and second downs as he did in the 1 drive against Army that resulted in a TD on 3 plays!

I have watched Donovan's offense for two years now. It is based on three plays. Everyone is busting on Hackenberg but he is the real deal. The past two games have had single man coverage on the wideouts and it took Donovan three freaking quarters to throw more than 10yards downfield. If protection is the issue; put a reserve LB back there with him but let him throw the ball and get in a rhythm. Good things would happen but that damn bubble screen is driving me nuts!

Donovan may be well educated but I don't think he has been a very good gameday coach. I wish Hack could call some of his own plays like he did for Bill O'Brien. There is a problem when the fans can consistently figure out the next play. Seldom in his plan does he gain a lot of yards up the middle or get any yards after his 1-3 yard passes. There is a lot of talent on Penn State's team that needs to be able to show their strength. Look at the success with some of the long passes. It seems there is a lack of creativity in the game plans - No reverses, end arounds, shuffle passes, etc.

Hack never really called plays for O'brien. McGloin did, but during Hack's freshman year most of the adjustments at the LOS came from the bench.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT