ADVERTISEMENT

The offense should flow through Singleton in big games

LMTLION

Mar 20, 2008
He is the only difference maker on offense that has ability to break open a game. He did so yesterday, and we went right back to this rotation of running backs. I like Allen a lot and there are games he should get at least half the carries, but he’s not going win a game for us when we are in a dog fight like that. Singleton should’ve gotten at least 10 more carries yesterday. It was obvious that Allar was struggling as a young qb in a huge game and we did that young man a disservice by not using using our star running back as often as we should have.

He is the only big time player Psu has on offense needs to touch the ball 20 times or more a game.

Reactions: LMTLION
See Auburn last year… see Utah game last year… I was screaming!!!! 10 was moving the line of scrimmage…then he wasnt given the ball!
Exactly, this is how you win the big game by using your best athlete. He is the best athlete on offense and he should be used 75% of the time on running plays versus big-time opponents.

Singleton (who did not start) on the 3rd drive had runs of 20, 16 and 6 yards. We kicked a field goal on that drive. That was the first qtr. He was only handed the ball 6 more times and thrown the ball on 2 screens for the rest of the game. I am not sure about his NIL deals but if I were him I might start looking elsewhere.

Reactions: WaffleShopper
Singleton (who did not start) on the 3rd drive had runs of 20, 16 and 6 yards. We kicked a field goal on that drive. That was the first qtr. He was only handed the ball 6 more times and thrown the ball on 2 screens for the rest of the game. I am not sure about his NIL deals but if I were him I might start looking elsewhere.
If he wants good NIL money that YPC has to jump. Singleton has been a huge disappointment which is why Allen should have started. He also did nothing on his next 6 carries and dropped an easy pass on 3rd and short. I don't disagree our lack of commitment to the run was infuriating but can we stop pretending Singleton has done anything this season to support the hype in this thread? That 20 yard run is his only explosive play of the season and should have gotten more on it.

As to NIL I meant what he might lose if he were to transfer. He was the only spark on our offense yesterday and we went away from him.

As to NIL I meant what he might lose if he were to transfer. He was the only spark on our offense yesterday and we went away from him.
Here or elsewhere, he has to produce more than he has this year for other programs to throw huge NIL money at him. He's not Maye or Caleb Williams for example.

How can one produce if he not given the ball. Yesterday he did produce in the 1st qtr yet ended the game with the same number of carriers as Allen.

How can one produce if he not given the ball. Yesterday he did produce in the 1st qtr yet ended the game with the same number of carriers as Allen.
It's not just yesterday...it's been all season. This year he's averaging less YPC than Allen. That's why Allen's moved ahead of him and many think should be the primary back. ALlen's steadier and more reliable. When Singleton drops an easy pass he's going to lose playing time.

His last 6 carries produced 6 (SIX) yards yesterday
Against Iowa he averaged 2.9 YPC on 17 carries, against NW it was 3.8 on 21 carries...he's not producing. I hope we see a change but the guy that we're pretending he is has yet to be seen in 2023.

Allen is the better inside runner, by far. He's just unusually leg-strong -- can move the pile. Singleton is probably a touch faster and maybe a better receiver, but we really don't run anything that gets him the ball quickly in space. Think about it. He starts most plays standing right next to Allar. Same thing with the tight ends. Plays are just too slow to develop. Doesn't work when the defense can counter with speed.

Singleton made a few nice early runs, probably through failed defensive assignments. I would not bet the house that this would have continued, but I do see why not sticking with it would frustrate fans. Some may be hanging too much on those runs. There were many plays later where OSU stopped the run in the backfield. That is where Allen is a tad better. The way this game materialized I wanted to see more of Allen, with perhaps Potts as a split back wide. As it was, OSU could easily penetrate the edge and shut us down.

Give credit to OSU. Their defense played disciplined football. Their corners could match up better on our receivers than ours could match up on their's. That was the difference. It slid downhill from there because we had no answer within the game plan. Those trick plays were evidence that we had no answer.

He’s very good, but not great, and not a true difference maker. Barkley would’ve took those 16 and 20 yard carries to the house. Is it fair to compare him to Barkley? Not really, but if you want to be the man he has to perform that way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT