ADVERTISEMENT

Any one make their own wine?

The Spin Meister

Gold Member
Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
I have been making dandelion wine for over ten years. Disclaimer: for cork sniffers like @BicyclePete its not a true wine as wine is fermented from fruit and dandelion doesn’t have fruit. It is more of a flavored meade and a mead is fermented honey.

Making dandelion wine is pretty much following a recipe with several steps involved. Fairly simple. Turns out pretty good as most people really like it. And I swear it is medicinal. If I take a few sips at the very first sign of a cold or flu it’s either gone in hours or very mild. But if I feel a sore throat or congestion in the middle of the night and wait until morning to sip the D wine it’s too late and I get a full blown cold or flu.

Now I am making wine from elderberries, a much more complex undertaking. Have to use a Brix meter to measure sugar content. Test acid level. Use pectin enzymes. Oxygenate during primary fermentation. Rack several times. Clarify. Lots of stuff.

The worst part is that both take a minimum of a year to age. Hard to wait that long not knowing if I screwed up any.

Curious if anyone else does so and if you have any advice.

I have been making dandelion wine for over ten years. Disclaimer: for cork sniffers like @BicyclePete its not a true wine as wine is fermented from fruit and dandelion doesn’t have fruit. It is more of a flavored meade and a mead is fermented honey.

Making dandelion wine is pretty much following a recipe with several steps involved. Fairly simple. Turns out pretty good as most people really like it. And I swear it is medicinal. If I take a few sips at the very first sign of a cold or flu it’s either gone in hours or very mild. But if I feel a sore throat or congestion in the middle of the night and wait until morning to sip the D wine it’s too late and I get a full blown cold or flu.

Now I am making wine from elderberries, a much more complex undertaking. Have to use a Brix meter to measure sugar content. Test acid level. Use pectin enzymes. Oxygenate during primary fermentation. Rack several times. Clarify. Lots of stuff.

The worst part is that both take a minimum of a year to age. Hard to wait that long not knowing if I screwed up any.

I also have made dandelion wine. Are Pennsylvania Dutch? Used to help my dad make wine. I never really was a wine drinker so quit when he did. I like the liquor we made when the wine tasted bad. We had a small still and would make some hi test booze. If you are looking of help, I am not the guy.

I also have made dandelion wine. Are Pennsylvania Dutch? Used to help my dad make wine. I never really was a wine drinker so quit when he did. I like the liquor we made when the wine tasted bad. We had a small still and would make some hi test booze. If you are looking of help, I am not the guy.
Had an uncle that made it when I was young. Sadly he is long gone. Looked up recipes on the net years ago when we had a bumper crop of dandelions.

Ever distilled anything. Maybe some day.

Just thought others ideas would be interesting. Always willing to learn.

Wife made a dry red some years ago. She actually won a gold medal in competition.

I made an ale also some years ago.

Advice would be to buy both beer and wine at your local Total Wine and More, unless of course you live in PA.

• Haha
Reactions: The Spin Meister

I make fruit wine. Learned from my father in law, who learned from his FIL.
My favorite is raspberry and cran-raspberry, but also make cherry, blueberry, grape, etc. My FIL does lots of different flavors, including rhubarb, strawberry, elderberry and has tried pear, peach, currant and others.

FWIW, what he found and taught me is that you don't need to go through as extensive a process as you describe. It does involve using some additional refined sugar, but it produces a pretty consistent product. Pretty much, I'm using juice, water, sugar and yeast. Cap and vent it and wait till it stops fermenting. Rack it/bottle it/drink it.
Different fruits ferment at a very different speeds. Cherry is very fast...maybe 3-4 mos. Cranberry takes a full year. Others vary. If you are interested in chatting more, let me know.

Had an uncle that made it when I was young. Sadly he is long gone. Looked up recipes on the net years ago when we had a bumper crop of dandelions.

Ever distilled anything. Maybe some day.

Just thought others ideas would be interesting. Always willing to learn.
I could send /post my recipe

I make fruit wine. Learned from my father in law, who learned from his FIL.
My favorite is raspberry and cran-raspberry, but also make cherry, blueberry, grape, etc. My FIL does lots of different flavors, including rhubarb, strawberry, elderberry and has tried pear, peach, currant and others.

FWIW, what he found and taught me is that you don't need to go through as extensive a process as you describe. It does involve using some additional refined sugar, but it produces a pretty consistent product. Pretty much, I'm using juice, water, sugar and yeast. Cap and vent it and wait till it stops fermenting. Rack it/bottle it/drink it.
Different fruits ferment at a very different speeds. Cherry is very fast...maybe 3-4 mos. Cranberry takes a full year. Others vary. If you are interested in chatting more, let me know.
I could send /post my recipe
Just curious about others experiences and techniques. Any tricks of the tradecraft.

For example, I read that adding oak chips will soften the wine....reduce its astringency....so I added some to the eldeberry since it is a strong wine.

My parents made a few batches of grape wine by just letting it ferment when I was young. Too young to know how it turned out but they seemed to enjoy it!

eng, would appreciate seeing your recipe.

Last edited:
Wife made a dry red some years ago. She actually won a gold medal in competition.

I made an ale also some years ago.

Advice would be to buy both beer and wine at your local Total Wine and More, unless of course you live in PA.
When I run out of a bottle of something I go to Total Wine and inevitably walk out the door with dozens of items having spent 10x what I planned for.

Reactions: GSPMax
When I run out of a bottle of something I go to Total Wine and inevitably walk out the door with dozens of items having spent 10x what I planned for.
In a lifetime, even an alcoholic would be hard pressed to sample everything they carry.

Went a couple of weeks ago looking for Chesterfield Ale (they quit carrying it I learned) but walked out with a couple hundred dollars of whiskey, beer, and wine.

I have been making grape wine since I was teenager helping my dad. We would go to the Strip and buy the grapes and go from there. Today it is a lot easier buying the juice in buckets. I am still making wine today the only wines other than grape wine I have made are blueberry and cherry. It’s basically the same process and I still enjoy it.

Here is my recipe.

5 Gallon Dandelion wine

Ingredients:

• 10 quarts flowers (cleaned well)
  • 10 quarts boiling water
  • 17.5 pounds Sugar
  • 5 Lemons
  • 2.5 oranges
  • 2 yeast cakes
Procedure:

• Combine flowers with boiling water and stir. Let stand 3 days, stirring once a day then strain
  • Combine liquid with sugar, lemons, oranges and yeast. Stir to combine
  • Let stand for 6 days then strain and transfer to secondary container (5-gallon jug or other 5-gallon container) that can except an air lock/bubbler
  • If it is not full add water and add air lock and set away for min of 3 weeks
  • Convert to smaller containers trying to leave sediment in container
It is sweet, I only made it twice for my dad and neighbor (in their 80's) who grew up on it.

Reactions: JoeLion
Here is my recipe.

5 Gallon Dandelion wine

Ingredients:

• 10 quarts flowers (cleaned well)
  • 10 quarts boiling water
  • 17.5 pounds Sugar
  • 5 Lemons
  • 2.5 oranges
  • 2 yeast cakes
Procedure:

• Combine flowers with boiling water and stir. Let stand 3 days, stirring once a day then strain
  • Combine liquid with sugar, lemons, oranges and yeast. Stir to combine
  • Let stand for 6 days then strain and transfer to secondary container (5-gallon jug or other 5-gallon container) that can except an air lock/bubbler
  • If it is not full add water and add air lock and set away for min of 3 weeks
  • Convert to smaller containers trying to leave sediment in container
It is sweet, I only made it twice for my dad and neighbor (in their 80's) who grew up on it.
Very similar to mine. But I also add raisins after straining it off the must/flowers. Rack it a couple times to remove sediment. Worst part is after you bottle it it is best to wait a minimum of six months. Preferably one year.

Last years batch was a little too citrussy so I cut back on citrus fruit this batch. Won’t know until next spring if it is better.

Very similar to mine. But I also add raisins after straining it off the must/flowers. Rack it a couple times to remove sediment. Worst part is after you bottle it it is best to wait a minimum of six months. Preferably one year.

Last years batch was a little too citrussy so I cut back on citrus fruit this batch. Won’t know until next spring if it is better.
and @PSUeng

How do you process the lemons and oranges? Peel them? Cut them up? Squeeze them?

and @PSUeng

How do you process the lemons and oranges? Peel them? Cut them up? Squeeze them?
I peel them, then cut up the rest into small pieces.

I also, stir the mixture at least twice a day during those first three days. Allows CO2 and sulfide to escape. Add the yeast after the mixture cools. And follow yeast directions to start it in a little warm water for fifteen minutes or so before adding it in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Agoodnap
and @PSUeng

I just cut mine in half and squeeze them real good. Then same as Spin master. I agree on letting it sit for a while. I have 1 jar left from my last batch that is 7 years old. Sorta afraid to try it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT