ADVERTISEMENT

All Things SENIOR WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

Women's results from this morning:

50 kg - Conder lost to PRK 6-0 in qualification round. Korean lost her next match

53 kg - Hildebrandt defeated VIE 10-0 in 1/8 round
lost to JPN 12-1 in quarterfinal. Awaiting Japan's SF match

55 kg - Winchester defeated KGZ 10-0 in 1/8 round
defeated MGL 13-2 in quarterfinal. On to semifinals

72 kg - Francis defeated Canada 5-0 in 1/8 round
lost to UKR 4-0 in quarterfinals. Awaiting UKR SF match

To be fair, the coach has some effect on “if you lose, it should only be to someone extremely good.”
That's true, though losing before the finals is not always an indicator of the other guy's quality -- for example, Staebler winning bronze earlier this week.

Man, I wish Flo Arena was up for Worlds--would love those mat assignment texts for Zain. Does anyone have any idea how one can approximate when Zain might be up for the 1st session? Or is it gonna be a sleepless night tomorrow?

Tracks dashboard usually has on deck matches at least 2 or 3. Haven’t checked it yet this year.

Tough morning for our ladies:

Repechage:

53 kg - Hildebrandt lost to IND 8-2

Qualification:

57 kg - Burkert df CZE 8-0 in qualification
lost to RUS 9-2 in 1/8 round;
RUS lost in 1/4, Burkert done

59 kg - Ragan lost to UKR 6-2 in qualification
UKR lost in 1/8; Ragan done

65 kg - Molinari df VIE 7-0 in 1/8
df SWE 3-0 in 1/4;
Semifinal vs. UKR later this morning

76 kg - Gray df ITA 10-0 in qualification
df KAZ 10-0 in 1/8
df TPE 10-0 in 1/4;
Semifinal vs GER later this morning

Medal:
Later this morning:

72 kg - Francis for bronze

55 kg - Winchester for gold

Last edited:
Ouch. Zain draws winner of Rashidov/Aliyev in quarters, then Otoguro in semis. Not quite a DT 2018 draw, but not far off. Let’s Go!!

Last edited:
Yeah, sorry, no coffee yet.

No problem. I had to check it about 10 times. The brackets look so jacked up with the way they stack the bottom. And it becomes a complete mess. We have a world championship rematch in the first round, with the winner having a round of 16 match with the defending champ.

Also Zains first round is with a two time medalist.

You could easily argue 5 of the best 6 are on the bottom and maybe like 8 of the top 10. I don’t understand how anyone thinks unbalanced brackets are a good thing.

Reactions: jtothemfp
No problem. I had to check it about 10 times. The brackets look so jacked up with the way they stack the bottom. And it becomes a complete mess. We have a world championship rematch in the first round, with the winner having a round of 16 match with the defending champ.

Also Zains first round is with a two time medalist.

You could easily argue 5 of the best 6 are on the bottom and maybe like 8 of the top 10. I don’t understand how anyone thinks unbalanced brackets are a good thing.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, your DRAW doesn't matter, you have to beat them all anyway, there are no easy matches...just go out and get the job done. End of Story...Let's GOOOOO ZAIN!!!!!
True if it's gold or bust, and it's the mentality our guys should have.

However, bust doesn't qualify the weight for the Olympics. So if Zain doesn't reach the finals, then the draw absolutely matters.

Alternate take: Zain is the bad draw for everyone else.

The later is how I prefer to look it:)

True if it's gold or bust, and it's the mentality our guys should have.

However, bust doesn't qualify the weight for the Olympics. So if Zain doesn't reach the finals, then the draw absolutely matters.

Alternate take: Zain is the bad draw for everyone else.

Bringing this thread back for the now Zain-free (boo) worlds action.

It’s also Fix-free now, after Takahashi goes down. Not good for any hopes of a team race (unless PD3 or Green can get a run going).

Stock made the semis though!

Reactions: jtothemfp
As hard as I've tried, I just can't get into Greco. I know that some guys can really appreciate the style, and I envy them. Ha! Anyone else struggle with really looking forward to watching Greco?

I look forward to Kamal Bey. But that's about it.

Having wrestled some Greco in my day it is definitely an acquired taste to watch or even participate in if its not your main focus. I do appreciate the amount of effort and skill it takes in that style to score on an opponent which makes what Bey does seem out of this world.

Reactions: funkisfun12
pretty crazy that 2 NLWC guys meet in the 1st round of the world championships Franklin Gomez Vs Bekzod abdurakhmonov

Cox techs Algeria, has Kaz in quarters.

Gwiz loses to Iran. Needs Iran to beat Ukraine, then probably Petriashivili. Gonna be tough to get pulled back in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dogwelder
Burroughs now in semi-finals.

Cox up now.

Cox stalking his prey. Passivity warning against Kaz. Wants nothing to do with Cox. Now scoreless midway through.

Thank God the U.S. didn't choose baby blue and yellow for our country colors.

1-0 Cox, I think fleeing call. Now Kaz on clock. And, passivity point. 2-0. Cox converts single for 2, then exposure for 2. Let's go! Double for 2. And, it ends 8-0.

Gadshiev has gotten by Batirov, now awaits the Russian, Baev. If he beats him, Green gets pulled back in. Hopefully, Gadshiev takes it out of the refs' hands.

Overnight Results:

70 kg - James Green df DeMarinis (CAN) 10-0 in qualifier
lost to Gadzhiev (POL) 3-4 in 18,
Gadzhiev still alive into SF

74 kg - Jordan Burroughs - df. Nurykau (BLR) 4-3 in qualifier
df. Kuramagomedov (HUN) 6-4 1/8
df Ghadzhiev (AZE) 8-1 in QF
on to SF vs Sidakov (RUS)

92 kg - J'Den Cox - df. Fardj (ALG) 11-0 in 1/8
df. Nurgaipuly (KAZ) 8-0 in QF
on to SF vs. Mtsituri (GEO)

125 kg - Nick Gwiazdowski - lost to Mohebi (IRI) 2-5 in 1/8