65kg Zain Retherford
70kg James Green
74kg Jordan Burroughs
79kg Kyle Dake
86kg Pat Downey
92kg J'Den Cox
97kg Kyle Snyder
125kg Nick Gwiazdowski

Senior World Championships will be held September 14-22, 2019 in NUR-SULTAN, KAZAKHSTAN.

Disciplines
9/14 - 9/17 Greco-Roman
9/17 - 9/20 Ladies Freestyle
9/19 - 9/22 Men's Freestyle

Men's Freestyle Schedule
& 65kg - 9/19 through 9/20 (Zain's weight)
70, 74, 92 & 125kg - 9/20 through 9/21
61, 79, 86 & 97kg - 9/21 through 9/22

Other Notes of Interest
Nur-Sultan is 10 hours ahead of those of us in EDT.

Last edited:
TEAM USA
57kg Daton Fix
61kg Tyler Graf
65kg Zain Retherford
70kg James Green
74kg Jordan Burroughs
79kg Kyle Dake
86kg Pat Downey
92kg J'Den Cox
97kg Kyle Snyder
125kg Nick Gwiazdowski

Senior World Championships will be held September 14-22, 2019 in NUR-SULTAN, KAZAKHSTAN.

Disciplines
9/14 - 9/17 Greco-Roman

Men's Freestyle Schedule

Other Notes of Interest

any idea what place is required to qualify the weight for the Olympics ?

TEAM USA
57kg Daton Fix
61kg Tyler Graf
65kg Zain Retherford
70kg James Green
74kg Jordan Burroughs
79kg Kyle Dake
86kg Pat Downey
92kg J'Den Cox
97kg Kyle Snyder
125kg Nick Gwiazdowski

Disciplines
9/14 - 9/17 Greco-Roman

Men's Freestyle Schedule

Other Notes of Interest

I searched but was unable to find a TV schedule. Is any of this on the Olympic channel or NBCSports? Or is it all on Track? Last year, I thought the finals were on NBCSports.

I dunno if you guys know anything about Nur-Sultan, but it's a pretty wacky place:

Morning sessions before bed sound good. And finals for breakfast is aiight. It's not the worst time difference, oddly enough.

Reactions: danoftw
When you leavin Roar??

Sure sucks that DT and Zain cant be team-mates.
Ha, would LOVE to go. Did my tour of eastern Europe last year, but got no further than Hungary. Wife won't let me this year (and yes, I know who wears the pants...), given we have a wedding in October among other things in our life. GO TEAM USA!!!!!

According to the UWW website, top six places qualify for the Olympics.
Looks like the UWW will have streaming. You can get it free if you use a VPN, or at least that's how I have done it in the past.

any idea what place is required to qualify the weight for the Olympics ?
Qualifying a weight is a three-step process for the 2020 Olympics.

(1) Top-6 placers at the Senior World Championships, in weight classes 57kg, 65kg, 74kg, 86kg, 97kg, and 125kg ONLY, earn their country a spot.

(2) Top-2 placers at a North American qualifying tournament, in the weight classes noted above, earn their country a spot. Countries that earned a spot at the Senior World Championships are not allowed to compete.

(3) Top-2 placers at a World qualifying tournament, in the weight classes noted above, earn their country a spot. Countries that earned a spot at the Senior World Championships or the North American qualifying tournament are not allowed to compete.

Note: I wrote this for USA athlete qualifying. Each continent (step (2)) will have their own qualifying tournament.

They are very proud of that big ball on the pedestal
ZtEnGr.png

I dunno if you guys know anything about Nur-Sultan, but it's a pretty wacky place:

Morning sessions before bed sound good. And finals for breakfast is aiight. It's not the worst time difference, oddly enough.
Sounds like it could be a clothing free

As long as it's not clothing optional for cornermen.

According to the UWW website, top six places qualify for the Olympics.
Looks like the UWW will have streaming. You can get it free if you use a VPN, or at least that's how I have done it in the past.
For the technically challenged, what does this mean and how do you do it? I have read about VPNs on here before, but really have no clue how to go about doing it:confused::(

For the technically challenged, what does this mean and how do you do it? I have read about VPNs on here before, but really have no clue how to go about doing it:confused::(
When I've tried to post about them here, the posts have deleted. There are many perfectly legal reasons why you might want a VPN though! Google some reviews--here's a decent start: https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/296955/the-best-vpn-services

You usually get what you pay for--the freebies in my experience are buggy, but might get the job done, depending on what your "job" is ;-)

When I've tried to post about them here, the posts have deleted. There are many perfectly legal reasons why you might want a VPN though! Google some reviews--here's a decent start: https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/296955/the-best-vpn-services

You usually get what you pay for--the freebies in my experience are buggy, but might get the job done, depending on what your "job" is ;-)
Thanks! So it is a service I purchase....I thought it was a type of router or something :oops:

Can’t think of Kazakhstan without thinking of the great Borat

I see you and raise you one.

Man, my little clique of friends were the only kids in my school who found this movie hilarious in HS/MS. We were all pretty smart, but lacked in the effort/give a shit category. I just remember discussing the movie in "advanced" or "gifted" or whatever they call the classes for kids who try hard and getting glared at by the try-hard kids for having social lives and seeming uncultured.

One of them actually stopped class and made a big scene, raising their voice to yell "YOU KNOW KAZAKHSTAN ISN'T ACTUALLY LIKE THAT, RIGHT?!" And then we called her a gypsy for like 2 weeks. Good times.

I see you and raise you one.

Man, my little clique of friends were the only kids in my school who found this movie hilarious in HS/MS. We were all pretty smart, but lacked in the effort/give a shit category. I just remember discussing the movie in "advanced" or "gifted" or whatever they call the classes for kids who try hard and getting glared at by the try-hard kids for having social lives and seeming uncultured.

One of them actually stopped class and made a big scene, raising their voice to yell "YOU KNOW KAZAKHSTAN ISN'T ACTUALLY LIKE THAT, RIGHT?!" And then we called her a gypsy for like 2 weeks. Good times.
Hahahaha!!! I feel you so much.

I remember sitting in a National Honor Society meeting where people were discussing what to do on our trip to NYC. After I endured endless chattering about going to Broadway to see a play (shoot me), the vast majority then voted to see another play if we had enough time. Not just 1 play which is torture enough but back to back plays - that’s like getting put on the Rack AND lit on fire.

Except for 2 other members, they looked at me like I had 3 heads when I suggested going to the Garden to watch the Rangers.

Qualifying a weight is a three-step process for the 2020 Olympics.

(1) Top-6 placers at the Senior World Championships, in weight classes 57kg, 65kg, 74kg, 86kg, 97kg, and 125kg ONLY, earn their country a spot.

(2) Top-2 placers at a North American qualifying tournament, in the weight classes noted above, earn their country a spot. Countries that earned a spot at the Senior World Championships are not allowed to compete.

(3) Top-2 placers at a World qualifying tournament, in the weight classes noted above, earn their country a spot. Countries that earned a spot at the Senior World Championships or the North American qualifying tournament are not allowed to compete.

Note: I wrote this for USA athlete qualifying. Each continent (step (2)) will have their own qualifying tournament.
Hey Roar,
Is it still possible for DT to be our representative?
If so what path can, or does he have to take?

Hey Roar,
Note Roar describes the process to earn the country a spot. Nothing described above earns a wrestler a spot. US will have Olympic qualifying tourneys, for the weights where we are eligible (per the criteria above). In fact, one of them (not sure if it is the only one) will be at PSU. David will compete for “his” spot, same as if he was never injured.

Hey Roar,
Absolutely yes.

Any American can qualify Team USA for 86 kg, at any number of qualifying events. Olympic Trials will determine which guy gets to compete in Tokyo.

It's similar to how NCAA qualifiers work -- conference gets a number of qualifiers based upon regular season results, and the actual names are determined at B10s

Anyway, hopefully Downey gets us a spot at Worlds, but plenty of opportunities if he doesn't.

... I just remember discussing the movie in "advanced" or "gifted" or whatever they call the classes for kids who try hard and getting glared at by the try-hard kids for having social lives and seeming uncultured ...
So you were in the try-hard class, but let the record show, all these years later, that you were not like the others! #streetcred :)

Last edited:
Reactions: crablegs1
Hey Roar,

Note Roar describes the process to earn the country a spot. Nothing described above earns a wrestler a spot. US will have Olympic qualifying tourneys, for the weights where we are eligible (per the criteria above). In fact, one of them (not sure if it is the only one) will be at PSU. David will compete for “his” spot, same as if he was never injured.

Absolutely yes.

Any American can qualify Team USA for 86 kg, at any number of qualifying events. Olympic Trials will determine which guy gets to compete in Tokyo.

It's similar to how NCAA qualifiers work -- conference gets a number of qualifiers based upon regular season results, and the actual names are determined at B10s

Anyway, hopefully Downey gets us a spot at Worlds, but plenty of opportunities if he doesn't.
Hi midniteride!
aalion and E-J are dead-on. That answers your question, correct?

@midniteride
I would only add that David (and Zain!) has already qualified for Olympic Trials in State College, per this criteria:
Any 2017, 2018 or 2019 Senior Freestyle USA World Championships participant and/or Final World Team Trials Champion is automatically qualified to enter the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Wrestling.

In this document, put out by USA Wrestling.

VPN stands for Virtual Private Network. It will hide your IP address from the internet. meaning you can essentially change a setting within the VPN client to show your computer like its in Zimbabwe when your physically in centre county :). AVG has a pretty easy to use VPN that had a free trial for 30 days.

VPN stands for Virtual Private Network. It will hide your IP address from the internet. meaning you can essentially change a setting within the VPN client to show your computer like its in Zimbabwe when your physically in centre county :). AVG has a pretty easy to use VPN that had a free trial for 30 days.
It really is amazing what I have learned on this message board! Thanks!

Reactions: Str8DBLz
It really is amazing what I have learned on this message board! Thanks!

As nerfstate's article mentioned, the main purpose of a vpn (for most people) is encryption for data protection. I run it on everything, phone, tablet, home network, etc.

I'm sitting in Bergen, Norway (did the Iceland trip the other year :) ), and interestingly have to set my vpn to the USA to be able to get to rivals.

As nerfstate's article mentioned, the main purpose of a vpn (for most people) is encryption for data protection. I run it on everything, phone, tablet, home network, etc.

I'm sitting in Bergen, Norway (did the Iceland trip the other year :) ), and interestingly have to set my vpn to the USA to be able to get to rivals.
So, that's what my problem is when I'm overseas! BTW--Norway is a very beautiful country. My family lived there for 9 months when I was 8 years old--many special memories!

Reactions: nitlion6 and Gebmo
Hi midniteride!
aalion and E-J are dead-on. That answers your question, correct?
It does, thanks to all!
I was hoping that DT's chances to wrestle in the Olympics weren't resting on PD3 qualifying at the Worlds. So that is quite a relief.

It does, thanks to all!
I was hoping that DT's chances to wrestle in the Olympics weren't resting on PD3 qualifying at the Worlds. So that is quite a relief.
IIRC Frank Molinaro won the Olympic Trials before Team USA qualified at his weight. He then competed at an overseas event and qualified for the Olympics.

If the calendar works out similarly in 2020 -- international qualifying events remain after the USA Olympic Trials -- hard to imagine a healthy Taylor (or Cox) failing to qualify for Tokyo.

IIRC Frank Molinaro won the Olympic Trials before Team USA qualified at his weight. He then competed at an overseas event and qualified for the Olympics.

If the calendar works out similarly in 2020 -- international qualifying events remain after the USA Olympic Trials -- hard to imagine a healthy Taylor (or Cox) failing to qualify for Tokyo.

Or Dierenger, since it sounds like he is moving up rather than down.

TEAM USA
57kg Daton Fix
61kg Tyler Graf
65kg Zain Retherford
70kg James Green
74kg Jordan Burroughs
79kg Kyle Dake
86kg Pat Downey
92kg J'Den Cox
97kg Kyle Snyder
125kg Nick Gwiazdowski

Been said before, and probably will be again, but it is a damn crime that 10 weight classifications for World Championships get cut to 6 for the Olympics.

I searched but was unable to find a TV schedule. Is any of this on the Olympic channel or NBCSports? Or is it all on Track? Last year, I thought the finals were on NBCSports.

Yes. The schedule on Olympic Channel and NBC Sports showing coverage.

The only tricky thing with qualifying the weights is that there is now only 1 qualifying event after the trials. 2019 World's is the first event, the Pan Am qualifier and various other continental events is the 2nd one but that is set to be only a few weeks before the trials and then the last chance qualifier shortly after the trials. At world's you need to make the bronze medal match to qualify the weight. Curious to see which weights the US qualifies there. Any ideas on what weights we qualify at world's?

ADVERTISEMENT