ADVERTISEMENT

All Things SENIOR WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

We should definitely have all 10 weights and double bronze is dumb but the problem is number of competitors not number of medals. Removing the double bronze would have no effect.
That plus Olympic qualification being largely based on random draws without full wrestlebacks.

For example, Myles Amine wrestling 174 and months later qualifying for the Olympics at 189. Congrats to him, but he'd be a 2x national finalist if the NCAA random drew him away from Hall and Valencia.

That plus Olympic qualification being largely based on random draws without full wrestlebacks.

For example, Myles Amine wrestling 174 and months later qualifying for the Olympics at 189. Congrats to him, but he'd be a 2x national finalist if the NCAA random drew him away from Hall and Valencia.
I’m hardly qualified to read TR’s mind, but I don’t think he’s trying to change qualification rules— just to find a way to get the IOC to fit 10 weights in at the actual games. I thought the constraining factor was venue for all the combat sports in an olympic schedule. Maybe this wouldn’t do it though.

I’m hardly qualified to read TR’s mind, but I don’t think he’s trying to change qualification rules— just to find a way to get the IOC to fit 10 weights in at the actual games. I thought the constraining factor was venue for all the combat sports in an olympic schedule. Maybe this wouldn’t do it though.
The constraint is the number of competitors relative to other sports.

It's a dual-edged sword, because part of keeping the sport in the Olympics is maximizing the number of represented countries -- which is also the reason for having multiple bronzes.

** Might be the only time we see Tan Tom argue against bronze wrestlers.

I’m not quite sure how to read Dake’s answer “I think you know”. My feeling is he will go 74. Would it be in our best interest if Snyder went 125 and Cox 97? Gives us a possible lineup of:
57: Fix/Gilman/Lee
65: Zain/Yanni
74: Burroughs/Dake
86: Taylor/Downey
97: Cox/Nickal ( don’t think Nickal can beat him at this point but I’m guessing Nickal goes up as well )
125: Snyder/Gwiz

Thoughts?

I’m not quite sure how to read Dake’s answer “I think you know”. My feeling is he will go 74. Would it be in our best interest if Snyder went 125 and Cox 97? Gives us a possible lineup of:
57: Fix/Gilman/Lee
65: Zain/Yanni
74: Burroughs/Dake
86: Taylor/Downey
97: Cox/Nickal ( don’t think Nickal can beat him at this point but I’m guessing Nickal goes up as well )
125: Snyder/Gwiz

Thoughts?
Doesn't matter, Snyder isn't going up to 125 for the Olympics.

That said, with 97 kg qualified, I'd have no objection to Snyder entering qualification tourneys at 125 to help Gwiz get to Tokyo. Maybe he gets a better random draw.

Reactions: Junglekitty
More embarrassing than losing?
I don't see it as a binary, but obviously not. He did what he felt he had to do--but to me, it looked like he pretty much quit wrestling (which we have seen out of KD on numerous occasions). I would have given him a caution + 1 on the first push out, as well as the 2nd, and possibly a fleeing too (which would have meant losing). Those refs didn't, so I guess the strategy worked, but it was embarrassing to me--as someone else said, he's too good at actual wrestling to have to do that stuff. It happens--Nico did it somewhat against Gilman too.

Last edited:
The constraint is the number of competitors relative to other sports.

I'm a bit ignorant on the process of getting Wrestling restored to the Olympics--can you (or someone else) elaborate for me a bit on the "# of competitors" being the constraint? That's the constrainee, but what is the constrainer? Cost of housing the athletes? Length of opening/closing ceremonies? Bribes from oligarchs who hate seeing cauliflower ear?

I don't see it as a binary, but obviously not. He did what he felt he had to do--but to me, it looked like he pretty much quit wrestling (which we have seen out of KD on numerous occasions). I would have given him a caution + 1 on the fist push out, as well as the 2nd, and possibly a fleeing too (which would have meant losing). Those refs didn't, so I guess the strategy worked, but it was embarrassing to me--as someone else said, he's too good at actual wrestling to have to do that stuff. It happens--Nico did it somewhat against Gilman too.
What you call "quit[ting] wrestling", others might call "defending a lead in the World Championship finals."

What you call "quit[ting] wrestling", others might call "defending a lead in the World Championship finals."
You’re not wrong. Still didn’t care for it. I don’t get paid to coach these guys, so take it for what it’s worth. I really love Dake’s wrestling when he does it—and his strategy/tactics are definitely a key reason for his success—as a fan, I just would prefer more of the former and less of the latter.

Last edited:

Unless you are up by ten in Freestyle you don't have a lead because the refs are still a factor in the outcome of the match.

I'm a bit ignorant on the process of getting Wrestling restored to the Olympics--can you (or someone else) elaborate for me a bit on the "# of competitors" being the constraint? That's the constrainee, but what is the constrainer? Cost of housing the athletes? Length of opening/closing ceremonies? Bribes from oligarchs who hate seeing cauliflower ear?
Part of it, lame as this sounds as I type it, was that the "venue" only had time allotted for the brackets for 18 weight classes (6 MFS, 6 WFS, 6 GR). The venue, if I recall, was shared with other sports, and it squeezed wrestling (though I'm sure the other sports were squeezed too). That's one of the conversations I remember.

When a finance professional requests accountability and a PR flack says trust me ...

PS, Tirapelle posts the Kazakhstan history in the thread. This year was a huge outlier.

Part of it, lame as this sounds as I type it, was that the "venue" only had time allotted for the brackets for 18 weight classes (6 MFS, 6 WFS, 6 GR). The venue, if I recall, was shared with other sports, and it squeezed wrestling (though I'm sure the other sports were squeezed too). That's one of the conversations I remember.
That's what I thought too--in which case, only one repecharge bracket might help bring things closer, per Tom Ryan's idea. Maybe not close enough though.

When a finance professional requests accountability and a PR flack says trust me ...

PS, Tirapelle posts the Kazakhstan history in the thread. This year was a huge outlier.

At one point last week, Foley tried to assert the infallibility of the current random draw by asserting it was managed by "UWW IT." As an IT guy, let me tell you, that's hysterical. Sure, refs might be bribed, but not those tech guys--they're the professional equivalent of King Solomon. LMAO.

Last edited:
At one point this week, Foley tried to assert the infallibly random draw by asserting it was managed by "UWW IT." As an IT guy, let me tell you, that's hysterical. Sure, refs might be bribed, but not those tech guys--they're the professional equivalent of King Solomon. LMAO.

Ryan's idea of just 1 bronze would ADD an extra match per weight class as what would have to happen would be the two bronze medal winners now would have to wrestle off for true third.

Ryan's idea of just 1 bronze would ADD an extra match per weight class as what would have to happen would be the two bronze medal winners now would have to wrestle off for true third.
Not if they only pull in the losers to the eventual champion--could even add a "true 2nd" match. Not ideal, I know--but I think I'd rather have 10 weight classes (if this is possible, I doubt it is, as the number of matches "gained" on the back side probably isn't even close to the ones added on the front side).

Last edited:
At one point last week, Foley tried to assert the infallibility of the current random draw by asserting it was managed by "UWW IT." As an IT guy, let me tell you, that's hysterical. Sure, refs might be bribed, but not those tech guys--they're the professional equivalent of King Solomon. LMAO.
I find it problematic, even with the best of systems. The UWW now has selected tournaments where wrestlers can earn rankings points (translated: "seedings" points too). With so much talent spread across so many countries, and domestic wrestlers not getting the same quantity of matches at these tournaments, it must be really hard, nearly impossible I'd say, to have any accuracy. That doesn't explain anything resembling cheating, so there's that too.

Not if they only pull in the losers to the eventual champion--could even add a "true 2nd" match. Not ideal, I know--but I think I'd rather have 10 weight classes (if this is possible, I doubt it is, as the number of matches "gained" on the back side probably isn't even close to the ones added on the front side).

Think about what you wrote. The wrestler who loses in the semis to the silver medalist then has no chance to wrestle for a medal. Ugh. But the wrestlers who lost to the champ all the way back to the 1st round could potentially get the silver medal. Ideally they add full wrestle backs and 10 weight classes, but unfortunately, neither of those things is happening any time soon, no matter how much we want them to.

My general understanding of the IOC deciding to drop wrestling had to do with the IOC reviewing the current sports with an eye on adding other sports. During the review, the IOC program commission analyzed various criteria, including TV ratings, ticket sales, oversight (e.g., anti-doping policy), global participation, popularity, and diversity. Of course, politics are always involved. Wrestling, evidently, scored low during the review, so the IOC commission decided to drop it.

Diversity was a significant issue. Women's wrestling was added in 2004. For the 3 Olympics from 2004-2012, 14 Men's weight classes were wrestled (7 each in FS and in GR) and only 4 Women's weight classes. Note: There were only 7 weight classes in each style contested at the World Championships during this time period. The IOC made it known to FILA that increased gender equality was essential if wrestling hoped to retain its place in the Olympics in 2020 and beyond.

So, as part of the effort to get wrestling reinstated, FILA proposed adding two WM FS weight classes for the 2016 Games while subsequently cutting one each from MFS and MGR to achieve a 6-6-6 weight class split of the three disciplines. FILA also allocated a spot for a female vice president and three spots for women on its bureau, while adding a commission dedicated to furthering women’s wrestling. I'm sure there were other changes made as well.

Since 2014, FILA (now UWW) added additional weight classes to the World Championships (up to 8 in 2014 and then up to 10 in 2018). Not sure if UWW has had conversations with IOC regarding increasing the number of weight classes in the Olympics, but that might be a hard sell if UWW cannot also show improvement in some of the other factors the IOC considers (i.e., TV ratings, ticket sales, global participation, popularity, etc.).

Last edited:
My general understanding of the IOC deciding to drop wrestling had to do with the IOC reviewing the current sports with an eye on adding other sports. During the review, the IOC program commission analyzed various criteria, including TV ratings, ticket sales, oversight (e.g., anti-doping policy), global participation, popularity, and diversity. Of course, politics are always involved. Wrestling, evidently, scored low during the review, so the IOC commission decided to drop it.

Diversity was a significant issue. Women's wrestling was added in 2004. For the 3 Olympics from 2004-2012, 14 Men's weight classes were wrestled (7 each in FS and in GR) and only 4 Women's weight classes. Note: There were only 7 weight classes in each style contested at the World Championships during this time period. The IOC made it known to FILA that increased gender equality was essential if wrestling hoped to retain its place in the Olympics in 2020 and beyond.

So, as part of the effort to get wrestling reinstated, FILA proposed adding two WM FS weight classes for the 2016 Games while subsequently cutting one each from MFS and MGR to achieve a 6-6-6 weight class split of the three disciplines. FILA also allocated a spot for a female vice president and three spots for women on its bureau, while adding a commission dedicated to furthering women’s wrestling. I'm sure there were other changes made as well.

Since 2014, FILA (now UWW) added additional weight classes to the World Championships (up to 8 in 2014 and then up to 10 in 2018). Not sure if UWW has had conversations with IOC regarding increasing the number of weight classes in the Olympics, but that might be a hard sell if UWW cannot also show improvement in some of the other factors the IOC considers (i.e., TV ratings, ticket sales, global participation, popularity, etc.).
NCAA also not helping thanks to lack of strategic thought.

The biggest target for Olympic wrestling should be the TV contract. That's Comcast, HQ at 17th/Arch in Center City PHL.

Get the NCAA Tournament back in Philly and FULL COURT PRESS !!!! the Roberts brothers the whole time. (They also own the Xfinity Live bar/restaurant hub in the stadium complex.) Then show them the increasing TV ratings and pitch it as a growth opportunity for the Olympics.

Monkeys will fly before the NCAA thinks like that.

It was also a shakedown. If you are concerned about diversity and participation, nothing screams shut off from most people and elitist more than equestrian, fencing and the modern pentathlon. Those are the types of sports the key members of the IOC enjoy.

Wrestling got picked on because they had not been good about providing gifts to the IOC to keep them happy. That is how it got resolved with some cosmetic changes for the women weight classes.

Imagine the Olympics without the oldest sport in the world.

I will pledge to give $1000 to wrestle for life if @GG121AND2 or @CowboyUp61 would get Foley to do a Q&A on this site for 24hrs.

No holds barred.....he has to answer everything Tom allows to pass the pearly gate and all rivals handles can ask questions.

Make it happen gentlemen.

#getfromtheslushfund
#timetoenterthunderdome
#eatitturk

I will pledge to give $1000 to wrestle for life if @GG121AND2 or @CowboyUp61 would get Foley to do a Q&A on this site for 24hrs.

No holds barred.....he has to answer everything Tom allows to pass the pearly gate and all rivals handles can ask questions.

#getfromtheslushfund
#timetoenterthunderdome
#eatitturk
Awesome!!! Everyone wins, make it happen Cowboyup61!

#getfromtheslushfund
#timetoenterthunderdome
#eatitturk
How much of a pledge if Mike C does the BWI AMA?

#getfromtheslushfund
#timetoenterthunderdome
#eatitturk
I will take that challenge, and give it my best shot (for Turk ;))

#getfromtheslushfund
#timetoenterthunderdome
#eatitturk
And if MikeC participates, too, and asks at least 5 questions, I’ll add $50. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT