ADVERTISEMENT

AKB: looking for recommendations for 2022 family ski trip

republion

Mar 24, 2009
Hey all, it's time for me to start planning our 2022 winter ski trip and I'm looking for recommendations. Here are things to consider:

- we are looking for somewhere new, but it isn't an absolute requirement
- there are 4 families going, and we tend to break off on the slopes by ability
- ages of kids are 10-18
- snowboarders and skiers

We typically go for a week, from Saturday to Saturday, so locking in on a location with only a single resort isn't ideal. We also like other activities for the family off the mountain on our days off from skiing.

Places we've been before as a family:
- Breck
- Vail
- A-Basin
- Keystone
- Copper Mt
- Beaver Creek
- Big Sky

Places we are considering:
- Salt Lake
- Tahoe
- Steamboat
- Whistler
- Wyoming???

We are going the entire week of President's week, and looking for something that isn't overly crowded.

Thanks for any and all input.

EDIT: for the right price, a European ski trip isn't out of the question.

Last edited:
Hey all, it's time for me to start planning our 2022 winter ski trip and I'm looking for recommendations. Here are things to consider:

- ages of kids are 10-18

We typically go for a week, from Saturday to Saturday, so locking in on a location with only a single resort isn't ideal. We also like other activities for the family off the mountain on our days off from skiing.

- Breck
- Vail
- A-Basin
- Keystone
- Copper Mt
- Beaver Creek
- Big Sky

- Salt Lake
- Tahoe
- Steamboat
- Whistler
- Wyoming???

We are going the entire week of President's week, and looking for something that isn't overly crowded.

Jackson Hole - massive mountain with plenty of trails for any level. Cool town, 2 national parks nearby.

For true powder hounds, some can split off and drive to neighboring grand Targhee

- ages of kids are 10-18

- Breck
- Vail
- A-Basin
- Keystone
- Copper Mt
- Beaver Creek
- Big Sky

- Salt Lake
- Tahoe
- Steamboat
- Whistler
- Wyoming???

No brainer. Whistler. Canada doesn’t celebrate Presidents week and it will be less crowded than US slopes as a result. We do Canada that week and will be at Whistler in 2022.

in addition, put those kids in lessons for the 5 days and don’t look back. They will come back shockingly better. They will go on runs they’d never find on their own and make new friends.
Get lessons for your self for 3 days and the instructors will take you to Apres Ski. Tell the instructors what you want to learn, bumps, trees, rocks, steeps…. Often the kid’s instructors will bring the kids to you at Apres rather than having to go get them. Lol.

Reactions: ClarkstonMark
No brainer. Whistler. Canada doesn’t celebrate Presidents week and it will be less crowded than US slopes as a result. We do Canada that week and will be at Whistler in 2022.

in addition, put those kids in lessons for the 5 days and don’t look back. They will come back shockingly better. They will go on runs they’d never find on their own and make new friends.
Get lessons for your self for 3 days and the instructors will take you to Apres Ski. Tell the instructors what you want to learn, bumps, trees, rocks, steeps…. Often the kid’s instructors will bring the kids to you at Apres rather than having to go get them. Lol.
Sounds like a great option. There is, however, a budget to consider as well ;)

Whistler is incredible but I don't think I'd mess with planning an international trip until covid settles down. You don't want to risk complications with border crossings or customs and possible quarantines that may separately family members if someone happens to contract the virus.

Colorado spots are a bit longer drive if you fly into Denver. I have had some harrowing drives from Denver to the ski spots. You can fly into Vail and solve that problem. I liked the town of Breckenrisge more than Vail. Breck is more of a real town.

I also love Park City. Easy drive from SLC. If you can find a place downtown you can walk to the lift which is super nice. We didn’t use our car once when we went there in March. Walked to slopes and to dinner every night.

Whistler is incredible but I don't think I'd mess with planning an international trip until covid settles down. You don't want to risk complications with border crossings or customs and possible quarantines that may separately family members if someone happens to contract the virus.
Agreed. We were suppose to do Whistler last year, but backed out due to Covid.

Off the beaten path but wolfcreek is a great mountain. That time of year they’ll have had a couple hundred inches of snow with probably 150” on the ground
Now think of Aspen. Wolfcreek is the antiAspen. Old school kind of place. It’s a ski slope not a resort. No TVs anywhere but you can get lunch for $5!!!
Lift tickets are around $75 for adults
Stay over the mountain in Pagosa Springs about 20 minutes away. Go to the natural hot springs
Take a day go over the pass and head to Creede. See if Billy Joe Dilly is around
Great snow great skiing less expensive
I’ve been there when we had 48” in 2 days !!

Reactions: republion

- ages of kids are 10-18

- Breck
- Vail
- A-Basin
- Keystone
- Copper Mt
- Beaver Creek
- Big Sky

- Salt Lake
- Tahoe
- Steamboat
- Whistler
- Wyoming???

We have a time share at Park City and go every March so i am biased. Now that they bought the Canyons there is a ton of slopes of different ability. The town is great as well but Presidents week is going to be very crowded. Based on one of the above posts Whistler might be your best bet although mid Feb in Whistler could be brutally cold.

Off the beaten path but wolfcreek is a great mountain. That time of year they’ll have had a couple hundred inches of snow with probably 150” on the ground
Now think of Aspen. Wolfcreek is the antiAspen. Old school kind of place. It’s a ski slope not a resort. No TVs anywhere but you can get lunch for $5!!!
Lift tickets are around $75 for adults
Stay over the mountain in Pagosa Springs about 20 minutes away. Go to the natural hot springs
Take a day go over the pass and head to Creede. See if Billy Joe Dilly is around
Great snow great skiing less expensive
I’ve been there when we had 48” in 2 days !!
Good info. I’ll look into it.

Reactions: sluggo72
We have a time share at Park City and go every March so i am biased. Now that they bought the Canyons there is a ton of slopes of different ability. The town is great as well but Presidents week is going to be very crowded. Based on one of the above posts Whistler might be your best bet although mid Feb in Whistler could be brutally cold.
Yah, crowds are absolutely a concern.

If it wasn't for Covid, I would suggest Banff/Lake Louise in Alberta. It's an easy ride from Calgary. Sunshine Village is a terrific ski resort and has some of the best scenery in NA. Banff is a great resort town. Lake Louise is easy on the eyes too. The nice thing about Canadian trips is the exchange rate.

For a week, I wouldn't trust Tahoe. We went there 30 years ago in early March and they were hurting big time for snow.

Based on my experience, can't go wrong with Utah for snow conditions. Been to Snowbird, Solitude and Park City, but I hear Deer Valley is one of the best family resorts in the country.

We have been to Whister in summer and always said how much fun it would be in winter. Amazing resort town and two huge mountains.

Gonna look into Jackson H. Thanks. Whistler seems a bit on the more expensive side when looking at lodging.
Until you consider the currency conversion.

and remember it’s presidents week. I’ve been to all places you listed. I LOVE targhee and Jackson but not THAT week.

Trust me. Whistler and you will not be unhappy. And your kids will be happy about and endless amount of things to do.

I only ski Canada that week and it’s worth avoiding the crowds.

Until you consider the currency conversion.

and remember it’s presidents week. I’ve been to all places you listed. I LOVE targhee and Jackson but not THAT week.

Trust me. Whistler and you will not be unhappy. And your kids will be happy about and endless amount of things to do.

I only ski Canada that week and it’s worth avoiding the crowds.
Are you saying Jackson will be crowded the ENTIRE WEEK? I can see the weekend, but the entire week? We’ve been out west before over MLK and Presidents Day weekend, and although Saturday and Sunday are packed, people usually clear out and use their Monday off as a travel day.

I would suggest Steamboat. Three hours by car from Denver Airport or a direct flight into Hayden from multiple cities back East.
Jackson Hole is too cold for non die hards and Canada may continue to restrict travel due to COVID.

Are you saying Jackson will be crowded the ENTIRE WEEK? I can see the weekend, but the entire week? We’ve been out west before over MLK and Presidents Day weekend, and although Saturday and Sunday are packed, people usually clear out and use their Monday off as a travel day.

The crowds the ENTIRE WEEK were awful this past year. The tram line was jammed. As bad as the line for Big Sky’s small tram, relatively speaking. JH is not as much of a weekend area as you seem to think.

- ages of kids are 10-18

- Breck
- Vail
- A-Basin
- Keystone
- Copper Mt
- Beaver Creek
- Big Sky

- Salt Lake
- Tahoe
- Steamboat
- Whistler
- Wyoming???

Look into Park City. Park City Mountain and The Canyons are connected by a gondola for a massive skiing/trail experience. Deer Valley, a mile away. Mining town is beautiful. Lots of bars and restaurants and lodging options. Olympic Village is cool for kids. You can take a run on a bobsled and check out the facility. 30 minutes up the mountain from salt lake City airport makes it incredibly convenient. We love it there.

Mamoth is such a pain in the a$$ to get to. I live in SD. Flying in to Bishop is harrowing and driving from LA or SD is pretty much a full day. The mountain is decent but the town is meh. I think Colorado and Utah have much more to offer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT