ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome From Auburn! Making The Trip Down? AMA

SH0RTS

Sep 9, 2021
Mornin, Fellas! Big Auburn guy here. My wife and I made the trip up to Penn St last year and had a blast. It was my wife’s first trip to that part of the country(i lived in upstate NY a few years and Boston for a year), so we made a weeks trip out of it, and toured around Pennsylvania for a few days. We were taken in and made to feel at home at some tailgates in one of the field lots. So, if you’re making the trip down to Auburn this week, I’m here to give you a little info and answer any questions as best as I can.

Auburn is a decent sized university nestled in small town Alabama. Approximately 40 miles west of the Georgia border. It is in the central time zone. If flying in, Atlanta is only about an hour and a half drive down I-85 S. Birmingham is approximately the same drive time.

if you don't already have hotel reservations, you’re going to have to look outside Auburn. Start with Opelika(it borders Auburn city limits), Columbus, Ga(home of Ft Benning, US Army Infantry training center), Montgomery, Al(about 45 minute drive down I-85). Last year, we stayed in Williamsport, Pa.

It’s a 2:30cst kick off. And, there are really only a couple of main arteries into AU. You can access it off of I-85 or Hwy 280. So, if you try to slip into town a couple hours before kickickoff, you’re going to be pressed to get there in time. I recommend getting there in the morning hours.

Parking- there are a few lots you can park in. There are some on campus that require a pass. I recommend buying a parking pass from Stubhub or another ticket site. If you get to town early, all metered public parking spots on the streets are free on the weekends. You’ll find its not quite as spread out as it is at Penn St. the stadium is kind of located more centralized on campus than Beaver Stadium. Also, there will be a few places you can pay $20 to park, like the Methodist Church off of Gay St, one off of Magnolia near the old frat row, etc. its not a bad walk from the downtown area to the stadium. Everything is a relatively easy walk

Tailgating(my favorite part of gameday). I was kind of shocked last year that most of the tailgating occurred in the lots where we parked at Penn St. in Auburn, you’ll find most tailgating happens all over campus and not so much where you park. Spots are first come first serve. But, most folks get out there and reserve their spots the day before the game. Tailgate Guys has the areas around the stadium locked down with their paid white tent city(a source of aggravation for folks that have tailgated for years down there). Alcohol is allowed on campus, and if you walk by the right tailgate in your Penn St garb, you’re probably going to be welcomed to join by someone. We are not a hostile bunch. Our limited success doesn't lend itself to arrogance. So, you should be treated well. If you’re like me, and want to sneak a few minis into the game, get minis with plastic lids(like jim beam), as there are metal detectors into Jordan-Hare Stadium. The screening is pretty quick, and once you get in line to the stadium, it doesn’t take long.

if you want to see the Eagle circle the stadium, that happens 20 minutes before kickoff.

I’ll try and answer questions as best I can. Safe travels, have fun and War Damn Eagle!

Last edited:
Mornin, Fellas! Big Auburn guy here. My wife and I made the trip up to Penn St last year and had a blast. It was my wife’s first trip to that part of the country(i lived in upstate NY a few years and Boston for a year), so we made a weeks trip out of it, and toured around Pennsylvania for a few days. We were taken in and made to feel at home at some tailgates in one of the field lots. So, if you’re making the trip down to Auburn this week, I’m here to give you a little info and answer any questions as best as I can.

Auburn is a decent sized university nestled in small town Alabama. Approximately 40 miles west of the Georgia border. It is in the central time zone. If flying in, Atlanta is only about an hour and a half drive down I-85 S. Birmingham is approximately the same drive time.

if you don't already have hotel reservations, you’re going to have to look outside Auburn. Start with Opelika(it borders Auburn city limits), Columbus, Ga(home of Ft Benning, US Army Infantry training center), Montgomery, Al(about 45 minute drive down I-85). Last year, we stayed in Williamsport, Pa.

It’s a 2:30cst kick off. And, there are really only a couple of main arteries into AU. You can access it off of I-85 or Hwy 280. So, if you try to slip into town a couple hours before kickickoff, you’re going to be pressed to get there in time. I recommend getting there in the morning hours.

Parking- there are a few lots you can park in. There are some on campus that require a pass. I recommend buying a parking pass from Stubhub or another ticket site. If you get to town early, all metered public parking spots on the streets are free on the weekends. You’ll find its not quite as spread out as it is at Penn St. the stadium is kind of located more centralized on campus than Beaver Stadium. Also, there will be a few places you can pay $20 to park, like the Methodist Church off of Gay St, one off of Magnolia near the old frat row, etc. its not a bad walk from the downtown area to the stadium. Everything is a relatively easy walk

Tailgating(my favorite part of gameday). I was kind of shocked last year that most of the tailgating occurred in the lots where we parked at Penn St. in Auburn, you’ll find most tailgating happens all over campus and not so much where you park. Spots are first come first serve. But, most folks get out there and reserve their spots the day before the game. Tailgate Guys has the areas around the stadium locked down with their paid white tent city(a source of aggravation of folks that have tailgated for years down there). Alcohol is allowed on campus, and if you walk by the right tailgate in your Penn St garb, you’re probably going to be welcomed to join by someone. We are not a hostile bunch. Our limited success doesn't lend itself to arrogance. So, you should be treated well. If you’re like me, and want to sneak a few minis into the game, get minis with plastic lids(like jim beam), as there are metal detectors into Jordan-Hare Stadium. The screening is pretty quick, and once you get in line to the stadium, it doesn’t take long.

if you want to see the Eagle circle the stadium, that happens 20 minutes before kickoff.

I’ll try and answer questions as best I can. Safe travels, have fun and War Damn Eagle!
Met some of your Auburn fans and enjoyed talking to them. You had a good representation last year. Heading down Thursday and staying in Opelika. Looking forward to it.

Was told the VCOM lot was free parking for those with handicapped placards and just a short distance to the stadium with shuttles to and from. Is that correct?

A bunch of us during law school (from a variety of Northern schools) took a trip to NOLA for Mardi Gras. Stopped for the night at Auburn.

We were given good advice about where to go for drinks and were subsequently floored by the insane amount of hot girls just walking around everywhere. I had been in the South for a few years - and had attended a lot of “SEC bars” in DC for game days, so I was prepared, but my friends (from Cornell, Harvard, Yale, Michigan x2, Oregon/UDub) all soon admitted that perhaps their choice of undergrad was made too hastily - that they should have made a few fact-finding trips in SEC country.

Blondes with ponytails wearing baseball caps and tight jeans + Alabama accent = Heaven

Any general advice regarding tickets besides going to Stubhub? I’m in Atlanta and was going to drive in for the day. I’m just looking for 2. If I wait to gameday can I pick up a couple around the stadium or do you recommend securing in advance? Right now on Stubhub the cheapest seats are around $160 each.

Reactions: SH0RTS
Any general advice regarding tickets besides going to Stubhub? I’m in Atlanta and was going to drive in for the day. I’m just looking for 2. If I wait to gameday can I pick up a couple around the stadium or do you recommend securing in advance? Right now on Stubhub the cheapest seats are around $160 each.
I believe $160 is almost face value. You probably wont get them any cheaper than that without a connection. I will confirm with some buds, but i believe Auburn has gone all digital with their tickets now. I havent noticed many scalpers with fists full of tickets last year or this season. Im a donor, and all season tickets sold by AU were digital. Personally, i would secure them now and not have to deal with all that on gameday, especially after having driven a couple hours to get there. Besides, you would rather be at a tailgate drinkin and eating a lot more than hunting down tickets. Remember, JHS capacity is 87+k, about 20k less than Beaver Stadium. There always seems to be empty seats at games, but for one like this, i expect an enthusiastic turnout. We don't get high quality OOC games at JHS very often.

A bunch of us during law school (from a variety of Northern schools) took a trip to NOLA for Mardi Gras. Stopped for the night at Auburn.

We were given good advice about where to go for drinks and were subsequently floored by the insane amount of hot girls just walking around everywhere. I had been in the South for a few years - and had attended a lot of “SEC bars” in DC for game days, so I was prepared, but my friends (from Cornell, Harvard, Yale, Michigan x2, Oregon/UDub) all soon admitted that perhaps their choice of undergrad was made too hastily - that they should have made a few fact-finding trips in SEC country.

Blondes with ponytails wearing baseball caps and tight jeans + Alabama accent = Heaven
You should see plenty of that this weekend, since the weather is still warm.

4161fb0655ea5849ea886d22aaa424f0--auburn-game-auburn-football.jpg

93c5fa1bcdbb8376388f6946e8c3a3a3.jpg

n7018265_35306569_1365.jpg

190c5c80e375a628b32f7855e2cd6e80--auburn-football-auburn-tigers.jpg

7743f8496ee4ee4c0a45d6328f683f7a.jpg

e845367d2fd18083bf45efcd1fd80483.jpg

Oh, i almost forgot an important detail. If you bought your tickets through Penn St to sit in the visitor’s section, the sun and heat is going to beat you down like a rented mule until later in the game when it drops behind the west upper deck. So, bring a hat, some sunglasses(you’ll have raccoon eyes, but at least you’ll still have your vision) and for any of you fair skinned folks, you may want to apply a little sunscreen. And, like they used to preach to us in the Army- hydrate, Hydrate, HYDRATE

Thanks Shorts. Really looking forward to coming down. What's the scene like on Fridays before the game? We're going to an alumni event at Resting Pulse Brewing Company in the evening. Also, how do Auburn fans see this game? Have they had this one circled from the tough loss last year, or are they pretty much focused on the SEC schedule?

Thank you for the info Shorts. Do they run a shuttle from the Hayfield Lots? The lots on Roosevelt Drive don't look very far from Jordan Hare Stadium am I right?

In looking at the map, which direction is Toomer's Corner and downtown? Thank you in advance.

Thanks Shorts. Really looking forward to coming down. What's the scene like on Fridays before the game? We're going to an alumni event at Resting Pulse Brewing Company in the evening. Also, how do Auburn fans see this game? Have they had this one circled from the tough loss last year, or are they pretty much focused on the SEC schedule?
Man , the night life in AU is pretty much set up to cater to the younger crowd. Really depends on your age and tolerance. The Skybar is really for the young folks. Next door to it, on Magnolia a half block off Toomers Corner is a newer bar(Southeastern). Its a mix of the student age kids and adults, so its more tolerable if you’re say, over 30. Another low key bar is Avalon. Its upstairs next door to Toomers Drug Store. Also, 1716 is on Magnolia Ave on the other side of the street from Toomers and a few doors down. Auburn is going through a transformation from the old to the new in the downtown area. Some like it, the old school, locals not so much. As far as the game, nah. I haven't noticed any hangover from last years game. Not much belly aching about the revenge factor, although nothing would make me happier. Probably more important for the message board guys than the average fan. There’s a lot of online negativity from our fans. Most are too young to know our history, so they dont have any perspective. They were coming up when we won a Natty in 2010 and played for it again in 2013. So, thats all they know, and tend to be a bit extreme as far as expectations. Lots of them look at our poor performance last saturday and have convinced themselves AU will lose to Penn St. I’ll only offer that this is a mistake. AU has a history of making an overmatched, small team look like a playoff contender, create a panic, and come out the next week against a top 10 team and look like a playoff contender itself. This AU team that lost its last 5 games last year is the same one that held bama scoreless until two minutes left in the game, and took it to 4 overtimes. Historically, AU always performs better when they are overlooked and stains their sheets when gifted high praise.

Thank you for the info Shorts. Do they run a shuttle from the Hayfield Lots? The lots on Roosevelt Drive don't look very far from Jordan Hare Stadium am I right?

In looking at the map, which direction is Toomer's Corner and downtown? Thank you in advance.
Yes. I believe the shuttles run around campus all day to all the lots. But, its not a terrible walk. After my fat ass humped that distance and climbed those hills to Beaver Stadium last year, i couldn’t wait to get back to Auburn. You’ll find the walking much easier than walking from those fields at Beaver Stadium.

Yes. I believe the shuttles run around campus all day to all the lots. But, its not a terrible walk. After my fat ass humped that distance and climbed those hills to Beaver Stadium last year, i couldn’t wait to get back to Auburn. You’ll find the walking much easier than walking from those fields at Beaver Stadium.
Just got a cortisone shot in the bad knee this morning. If I was a car, I'd be in certified-used condition. Thanks Shorts!

Toomers Corner/central downtown AU is N/NW direction from the stadium.

Reactions: john4psu
Recent bypass surgery. Are elevators or escalators available?
There are elevators on the east and west concourses in the stadium. I never see them commonly used by most fans. So, i think they are for folks with wheelchairs or medical conditions. So, im inclined to say yes.

Last edited:
Reactions: JerseyRon
Y

You are now officially my favorite poster!

I’ll be down your way on Saturday with a bunch of family and friends. Are those girls going to be at your tailgate?
Sorry, no. Those are rando Auburn girls that google provided. But, you’ll have no problem spotting girls like that on Saturday. They will be as plenty as feral hogs on a Texas soybean field.

Great info Shorts! We like to tour the campus and town the day before the game. What are the must-see spots? Any iconic statues, sculptures, etc that represent history or tradition? Any other key traditions we need to take in? We definitely plan to be in the stadium for the Eagle.

Last edited:
Great info Shorts! We like to tour the campus and town the day before the game. What are the must-see spots? Any iconic statues, sculptures, etc that represent history or tradition? Any other key traditions we need to take in? We definitely plan to be in the stadium for the Eagle.
With Auburn being as small as it is, most all the sites and traditions can be walked pretty easily. Downtown at Toomers Corner is where the old 100+ year old oaks that were poisoned were, and the new ones have been transplanted. Toomers Drug store is on that intersection. It was one of the only buildings there when it was nothing but a dirt road intersection. There, you can try the lemonade or buy some souvenir type stuff. Right diwn the block headed east is Samford Hall where the Presidents office is. The bell tower is functional and plays the fight song and others songs on Sundays. Outside JHS are the Bo Jackson, Pat Sullivan and Cam Newton statues. You could go out to the Raptor Center. They put on a show about the birds and give you a live flight show with the eagles and other birds of prey they have. Here’s a link for that

But, really, everything Auburn you want to see is easily done by strolling around campus.

Last edited:
Also, the new culinary center just got finished last month. Apparently it's the largest of its kind in a university setting. Equipped with luxury suites at the top, a pool. I hear its something to see.

inside of it is the Hey Day Market. It is getting great reviews. But, fair warning, take a wad of cash with ya. I hear it will cost you one testical and a kidney for a smoothie. But, i hear the food is good

Reactions: Wandering Spectator
Thanks for the info! Any suggestions for where to park for the easiest exit (least amount of traffic) out of town? Unfortunately I have to head back to Atlanta right after the game

Thanks for the info! Any suggestions for where to park for the easiest exit (least amount of traffic) out of town? Unfortunately I have to head back to Atlanta right after the game
Look at the map i provided in an earlier post in response to the VCOM parking. Assuming you are coming in off of I-85 at the college St exit(exit 51), if you park anywhere along college st, the lot on the interstate side of campus, or the Mell St corridor, those will give you your best shot at the easiest escape. A lot of the green(free) areas on the map get roped off and reserved the day before the game by tailgaters(like me). If you find a parking pass in the library parking deck on stubhub, id grab that too since it is right on College st. You’d just pull out of the deck, turn right onto college, and shoot straight out to the interstate.

Reactions: PSU10

Tailgating(my favorite part of gameday). I was kind of shocked last year that most of the tailgating occurred in the lots where we parked at Penn St. in Auburn, you’ll find most tailgating happens all over campus and not so much where you park. Spots are first come first serve. But, most folks get out there and reserve their spots the day before the game. Tailgate Guys has the areas around the stadium locked down with their paid white tent city(a source of aggravation for folks that have tailgated for years down there). Alcohol is allowed on campus, and if you walk by the right tailgate in your Penn St garb, you’re probably going to be welcomed to join by someone. We are not a hostile bunch. Our limited success doesn't lend itself to arrogance. So, you should be treated well. If you’re like me, and want to sneak a few minis into the game, get minis with plastic lids(like jim beam), as there are metal detectors into Jordan-Hare Stadium. The screening is pretty quick, and once you get in line to the stadium, it doesn’t take long.

Is there any parking available for RV's? How close to the stadium or do you have to park outside the campus and get a ride to the stadium. Thanks and glad you enjoyed your trip to Happy Valley except for the outcome.

Is there any parking available for RV's? How close to the stadium or do you have to park outside the campus and get a ride to the stadium. Thanks and glad you enjoyed your trip to Happy Valley except for the outcome.
Yes. Lots of RV’s. But, my understanding is those reservations are made prior to the season. But, from this article in Tailgate concierge, it states that rv parking is free in Hay Fields and a couple other places. Ive known people that stayed out there.

Reactions: Fayette_LION

I talked to a lot of Auburn fans last year they were really nice people. It was probably one of the biggest turnouts from an away team that I've seen at State College.

I talked to a lot of Auburn fans last year they were really nice people. It was probably one of the biggest turnouts from an away team that I've seen at State College.
I hope Penn St has a large contingent this weekend too. Its always fun to see other schools, their towns and traditions and parts of the country we dont get to see. And, its equally fun sharing ours with them.

auburn fans travel well. Primarily because our AD doesnt schedule many interesting and tradition rich opponents. When they do, we jump on it. I hate those neutral site games in big cities with domed stadiums, like when we played Oregon in Dallas in 2019. Id have much rather hd a home and home with them. Oregon would have been surprised at how many AU folks made that trip.

Last edited:
I hope Penn St has a large contingent this weekend too. Its always fun to see other schools, their towns and traditions and parts of the country we dont get too see. And, its equally fun sharing ours with them.

auburn fans travel well. Primarily because our AD doesnt schedule many interesting and tradition rich opponents. When they do, we jump on it. I hate those neutral site games in big cities with domed stadiums, like when we played Oregon in Dallas in 2019. Id have much rather hd a home and home with them. Oregon would have been surprised at how many AU folks made that trip.

Sorry, no. Those are rando Auburn girls that google provided. But, you’ll have no problem spotting girls like that on Saturday. They will be as plenty as feral hogs on a Texas soybean field.
That’s great news SHORTS, because my friends and I have often been mistaken as feral hogs ourselves!

PS-I LOVE southern colloquialisms!

ADVERTISEMENT