ADVERTISEMENT

A shout out to the Penn State Wrestling Club website

Whoever tracks and constantly updates team and tracks the brackets deserves a special attaboy (attagirl? attaperson?) from the wrestling community. They do a masterful job.

giphy.gif

It’s a bit different look this year. I’m having problems seeing the entire page using safari. I’ll have to figure something out in the next two weeks.

Reactions: psu00 and danoftw
I’m finding the updates, esp. team scores to be slower than in the past. In fact, too slow to be useful for me to follow.
I enjoy all the hard work they have put into the changes and the updates but I have to sadly agree. I think the site regressed. The updates were slow. In past years, it was nearly instantaneous. This year, I noticed updates every two weights. It also wasn't clear at times because of the delay what the update was through. If you're going to delay, let us know what weight the points are through.

Sorry for the complaint. I do really love the site overall. Just thought this was a step backwards.

Reactions: psu85psu
It's a great website, I always give it a workout during Nationals.

Sign up for membership to the club if you want to expand your interest. They mail out newsletters and organize trips to all the away events. They even have social gatherings at the home events with food provided, and the coaches address the attendees. They also sell PSU wrestling merchandise. If we get more involvement and contributors, perhaps more can be added. I'd love to see archived video at some point.

Sign up for membership to the club if you want to expand your interest. They mail out newsletters and organize trips to all the away events. They even have social gatherings at the home events with food provided, and the coaches address the attendees. They also sell PSU wrestling merchandise. If we get more involvement and contributors, perhaps more can be added. I'd love to see archived video at some point.
I'll do just that this evening. Thank you.

Thanks for all of the kind words on the PSWC website. I'm glad that so many find value in the site, particularly during the postseason.

We did a major upgrade of the PSWC website last summer, and while the implications of the upgrade have been very positive - there have been a few learning lessons along the way.

I am aware that some of the columns on the right-hand side of the scoring table got cut-off from mobile screens. This past weekend, the quick fix was to rotate your phone into landscape mode. Going forward, I've made an update that enables horizontal scrolling which should also correct the issue.

Regarding the timing of updates - scores were generally updated within seconds of the completion of each bout. However, our server caches pages to improve the website's performance, and this had the positive outcome of our website experiencing no downtime throughout the tournament.

Note that caching is disabled for logged-in PSWC members, which explains why some experienced a delay in score updates while others did not. Consider this another perk of the $35 membership! :)

I hope everyone enjoyed the B1Gs... on to NCAAs!

Go State!
Ben

Thanks for all of the kind words on the PSWC website. I'm glad that so many find value in the site, particularly during the postseason.

We did a major upgrade of the PSWC website last summer, and while the implications of the upgrade have been very positive - there have been a few learning lessons along the way.

I am aware that some of the columns on the right-hand side of the scoring table got cut-off from mobile screens. This past weekend, the quick fix was to rotate your phone into landscape mode. Going forward, I've made an update that enables horizontal scrolling which should also correct the issue.

Regarding the timing of updates - scores were generally updated within seconds of the completion of each bout. However, our server caches pages to improve the website's performance, and this had the positive outcome of our website experiencing no downtime throughout the tournament.

Note that caching is disabled for logged-in PSWC members, which explains why some experienced a delay in score updates while others did not. Consider this another perk of the $35 membership! :)

Go State!
Ben

Wildly helpful post, thank you!

Go State!
Ben
I should have guessed it was a caching issue. I tend to stay logged in on my computer, but was confused why my phone seemed to lag behind. Thanks for your work--I love the new site design, and am sure you'll continue to improve it. I sure wish the NCAA had anything remotely close to the richness the "History" pages bring.

Go State!
Ben
Thanks for the explanation. I guess I'm good at Nationals. 👍

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT