ADVERTISEMENT

A mom on a college tour called the cops on two Native American teens because they made her 'nervous'

In addition to this, the kids were dressed and acting like tools. I'd venture a guess that EVERY high school in the US has a dress code that forbids hoodies. Hoodies signify gangs/trouble and EVERYONE knows this. The one kid was wearing a hoodie, with the hood up, hands in pockets, and wouldn't answer a basic question like...what's your name? Everything about the kid projected trouble. If you don't want trouble don't project trouble.

Didn't the kids parents teach them about the importance of first impressions? Since they're not allowed to wear hoodies in high school (pretty good assumption here) why on earth did they think it was a good idea to wear one, with the hood up, on a tour that they arrived very late for?

This is not about racism. It's about a couple of knuckleheads acting like knuckleheads.

We need a list of clothing and associations so that there are no missed opportunities to judge.

HOODIE. :eek:

Last edited:
Good points, thanks. Racism is a belief. That's why I believe people can evolve out of those beliefs if they allow themselves to see other points of view.
And it is often the subtle, unspoken, hidden racism that ends up being the most frustrating for minorities. Any number of black co-workers or friends have indicated to me over the years that they would rather deal with the overt racism, because then they know what they are dealing with and what to expect in large part.

I’m no sociologist or psychologist, but I’d guess that “racism” (or a xenophobia or merely noticing differences in people) is not a “belief” but rather a survival tactic as a result of evolution.

Reactions: Nitwit97
We need a list of clothing and associations so that there no missed opportunities to judge.

My kinda *trouble*....

2d05c19714b615ea17fb1bcf2f7cb248.jpg

I’m no sociologist or psychologist, but I’d guess that “racism” (or a xenophobia or merely noticing differences in people) is not a “belief” but rather a survival tactic as a result of evolution.

So there Is a story on the web about a guy in Kansas who shot and killed an Indian IT professional after screaming "Get out of my country" The IT guys was having an after work drink. Not doing anything other than that.

Was that a survival issue? Was he afraid the brown guy was gonna drink up all the Coors Light?

Reactions: Nitt1300

I may be misunderstanding what you are saying or guessing here... racism is not defined as, or in any way equal to, merely noticing differences in people. At least not to me. I can identify people of other races without being a racist. Any prejudices about other races may lean toward being a racist in the negative sense of the word, at least some of the time. But certainly not always. Perhaps I may be someone who relies too much on stereotypes about other races without being a racist in the worst sense of the word.

I also can imagine, or believe, that ever since people decided that enslaving or otherwise minimizing the importance of lives of other groups of people, that action was driven by a belief that the lives of certain groups of people were of less value than their own. That is the way I'm referring to 'belief' in the context of racism. And of course, in the world-wide context, that belief was and is not held only by white people toward non-whites. But we are talking primarily about incidents that continue to happen in the US in this thread.

Since long before 2018, defining racism as a survival tactic would never cross my mind.

Example: I don't think the slave owners in North America in pre-Civil War times viewed their ownership as a survival tactic. I think it was a misguided business decision based on the devaluation of another human life. We grew out of that belief as a result of our reasoning skills evolving. My hope is that evolution takes farther and farther away from racism, and is not ever viewed as a necessary survival tactic.

But I'm speaking only for myself.

We need a list of clothing and associations so that there no missed opportunities to judge.

I’m not a sociologist, but I think why some people view hoodies as being problematic is because it disrupts the way people interact. When you meet someone, or even see someone walking down the street, you (the generic you) immediately (and I’m sure subconsciously) size that person up: Threat or not a threat? Friendly or to be avoided? We do that in large part by reading people’s faces. But if someone covers their face an elemental aspect of communication is lost - and that probably makes some people - maybe a lot of people - feel threatened and uneasy.

I’m not saying if you see someone wearing a hood up, covering their face, you should call the police. But I think it’s understandle why it makes some people feel threatened.

I’m not a sociologist, but I think why some people view hoodies as being problematic is because it disrupts the way people interact. When you meet someone, or even see someone walking down the street, you (the generic you) immediately (and I’m sure subconsciously) size that person up: Threat or not a threat? Friendly or to be avoided? We do that in large part by reading people’s faces. But if someone covers their face an elemental aspect of communication is lost - and that probably makes some people - maybe a lot of people - feel threatened and uneasy.

I’m not saying if you see someone wearing a hood up, covering their face, you should call the police. But I think it’s understandle why it makes some people feel threatened.

Like these good folks for instance.

Reactions: Nitt1300 and Bob78
In addition to this, the kids were dressed and acting like tools. I'd venture a guess that EVERY high school in the US has a dress code that forbids hoodies. Hoodies signify gangs/trouble and EVERYONE knows this. The one kid was wearing a hoodie, with the hood up, hands in pockets, and wouldn't answer a basic question like...what's your name? Everything about the kid projected trouble. If you don't want trouble don't project trouble.

Didn't the kids parents teach them about the importance of first impressions? Since they're not allowed to wear hoodies in high school (pretty good assumption here) why on earth did they think it was a good idea to wear one, with the hood up, on a tour that they arrived very late for?

This is not about racism. It's about a couple of knuckleheads acting like knuckleheads.
What an absurd post. What high school do you know of that bans hooded sweatshirts? Certainly not any that I'm aware of or that I've ever been associated with. All kinds of kids wear hooded sweatshirts in school all the time - though they might have rules about not having the hood up during class.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob78
So there Is a story on the web about a guy in Kansas who shot and killed an Indian IT professional after screaming "Get out of my country" The IT guys was having an after work drink. Not doing anything other than that.

Was that a survival issue? Was he afraid the brown guy was gonna drink up all the Coors Light?

Yes. That’s exactly what i was saying. o_O

What’s your point? Or are glib responses all you have when you can’t formulate a logical argument?

I use glib responses to make a point. It's not that complicated to understand.

But I will explain-in your post you said (I am paraphrasing) "wearing a hood makes some people nervous". I agreed with that statement with a video response. The KKK wear hoods. They make me nervous.

Last edited:
What’s your point? Or are glib responses all you have when you can’t formulate a logical argument?

He's responding to the generalization made that seeing someone in a hoodie is an indication that a dangerous situation is likely to follow. Imo, that is not a logical argument to make, when hoodies are and have been in fashion for a number of years (cute on women, absurd on men. - Bob78's Fashion statement du jour).
So, as other posters have done, Ro is pointing out notable hoodies in history... some more indicative of imminent danger than others.

That, imo, is a logical response to the hoodie premise presented.

Reactions: psuro
He's responding to the generalization made that seeing someone in a hoodie is an indication that a dangerous situation is likely to follow. Imo, that is not a logical argument to make, when hoodies are and have been in fashion for a number of years (cute on women, absurd on men. - Bob78's Fashion statement du jour).
So, as other posters have done, Ro is pointing out notable hoodies in history... some more indicative of imminent danger than others.

That, imo, is a logical response to the hoodie premise presented.
Thank you.

I use glib responses to make a point. It's not that complicated to understand.

Glib. What a weird sound. Glib. It's like a cartoon sound effect for an underwater scene, like a lesser 'glub'.

I need to find a way to work in the word 'glib' into my everyday conversations. Or into my everyday cartoons. Barry Glib and the BeeGlees were never a fave of mine.

Reactions: psuro
They weren't arrested. Where the heck did you come up with that? Get a grip. However, tools get questioned...yes they do. Unfortunately for you, this is not racism. Every kid, white, black, blue, red, yellow, or green(see Captain Kirk), females included, would have been in need of a vetting in this situation.

Hood up, hands in pockets, and refusing to answer a simple question like what's your name...while joining a campus tour 45 minutes late with ZERO explanation. You're clueless.

Subjunctive, Thickness.

Right. So a guy wearing a hoodie up and covering his face so no one can read his facial expressions and not making eye contact with people, etc. is no cause for concern. Nothing to see here. It’s normal for people to hide their faces in public not and not engage with others in a group. Okay.

Glib. What a weird sound. Glib. It's like a cartoon sound effect for an underwater scene, like a lesser 'glub'.

I need to find a way to work in the word 'glib' into my everyday conversations. Or into my everyday cartoons. Barry Glib and the BeeGlees were never a fave of mine.

You could be a version of the Karate Kid.

Glib on.

Glib off.

Right. So a guy wearing a hoodie up and covering his face so no one can read his facial expressions and not making eye contact with people, etc. is no cause for concern. Nothing to see here. It’s normal for people to hide their faces in public not and not engage with others in a group. Okay.

Gotta do an LBO of Kimberly Clark.

I found this video of the police interacting with the two kids. Seemed to be handled well by the police and by the kids.

I don't see where the hoodie was covering the kid's face - note that only one kid was wearing a hoodie. His face was in plain sight.

Reactions: BBrown
My hoodies dont cover my whole face. Wtf are you talking about ???

Do you fear welders? Motorcyclists with tinted face shields?

Where's it say you get to read my face in public? If i want you to know what im thinking, i'll tell you. Its not your business nor the cops business. If your fear is too large GTF OFF the street.

Why is it i suspect you ALSO believe you should be allowed to carry a gun hidden in your clothes?

Hey, this is pretty good I think. I don't agree with all of it, but still - there is a lot of valid points here. I will say for a lot of folks in rural communities who are suffering from lack of quality employment and who likely know people abusing opioids, their situations haven't changed much since January 2017. But, I bet if you ask them, they're happier overall because they elected one of their own (at least one who says what they think). My family and relatives made Western PA their home and have never left for the most part - still waiting for the steel mills to show back up.

I work in the steel industry in rural PA and our situation has improved considerably since Jan 2017. After years of stagnation, we're in the middle of a second facility expansion and have nearly doubled our number of employees. We serve a broad range of industries and it's amazing how everything has picked up.

Reactions: MtNittany
I work in the steel industry in rural PA and our situation has improved considerably since Jan 2017. After years of stagnation, we're in the middle of a second facility expansion and have nearly doubled our number of employees. We serve a broad range of industries and it's amazing how everything has picked up.

That's great to hear. Continued success for your company and coworkers.

Yet another example of the criminalization of people of color. All she needed to do was say something to the tour guide - and no doubt she would have had those young men looked like her and her kid. No surprise, we see this in all stages of life from school administrators disproportionately suspending elementary school children of color to the criminal justice system disproportionately sentencing offenders of color. This woman was just doing what she’s been conditioned to do.

My hoodies dont cover my whole face. Wtf are you talking about ???

Do you fear welders? Motorcyclists with tinted face shields?

Where's it say you get to read my face in public? If i want you to know what im thinking, i'll tell you. Its not your business nor the cops business. If your fear is too large GTF OFF the street.

Why is it i suspect you ALSO believe you should be allowed to carry a gun hidden in your clothes?

I didn’t say it was a right to read a persons face in public. I said it was one of the most basic and elemental ways that people communicate with one another. And if you cannot see another persons face, if it’s obscured, it takes that basic human interaction away and I can understand why that would make people feel uncomfotable. Is that so hard to comprehend? And no I don’t conceal/carry. Nor do I understand how in the hell you brought that into this conversation.

I didn’t say it was a right to read a persons face in public. I said it was one of the most basic and elemental ways that people communicate with one another. And if you cannot see another persons face, if it’s obscured, it takes that basic human interaction away and I can understand why that would make people feel uncomfotable. Is that so hard to comprehend? And no I don’t conceal/carry. Nor do I understand how in the hell you brought that into this conversation.
Good. So if you have no fuc#ing right to read my face, and you can't read my face, there is no reason on earth to call the Police. A lack of communication is not a threat. It is a lack of communication.

Good. So if you have no fuc#ing right to read my face, and you can't read my face, there is no reason on earth to call the Police. A lack of communication is not a threat. It is a lack of communication.

I said in a post above that I did not think it was a reason to phone the police but rather I could understand how someone concealing their face could be construed as threatening. It’s not, on a day to day basis, how we as humans interact with one another. That’s all I ever said. Maybe you should actually READ the thread before letting your righteous indignation get the better of you.

Cool - which company? Hope growth continues.

Last edited by a moderator:
I said in a post above that I did not think it was a reason to phone the police but rather I could understand how someone concealing their face could be construed as threatening. It’s not, on a day to day basis, how we as humans interact with one another. That’s all I ever said. Maybe you should actually READ the thread before letting your righteous indignation get the better of you.
So, the mother should NEVER have called the police. The hoodie has zero to do with it. And it provides ZERO justification for what she did. You somehow think it does, or you would not have said it.

Like Burkas?

Glib on.

I found this video of the police interacting with the two kids. Seemed to be handled well by the police and by the kids.

I don't see where the hoodie was covering the kid's face - note that only one kid was wearing a hoodie. His face was in plain sight.

Video confirms earlier accounts that I read. Police were professional and courteous. No issues with the way they handled it or how CSU responded. The mother who reported these kids needs to get out in the real world more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT