ADVERTISEMENT

A mom on a college tour called the cops on two Native American teens because they made her 'nervous'

If she had called the cops on (me and) my kids for similar behavior, it would have been a news story when I knocked her teeth out.

Dang. Never had you pegged for a woman beater, Art. And such misogyny actually gets a like?? Must be the Trump effect.

What business is it if this woman who they are? And why did she not report this to the guide instead of calling the police?

She is the idiot here-not the kids nor Colorado State.

After seeing the video and hearing more of the story I put the blame at 40-40-20 40 on the kids for various reasons and 40 on the person that called. It decreases a lot if there were other people in the group that were not comfortable and 20 on the tour guide. As for them being Native Americans maybe it was the video quality but I wouldn't have guess it.
Let me also add that I thought the CSU cops did a great job.

After seeing the video and hearing more of the story I put the blame at 40-40-20 40 on the kids for various reasons and 40 on the person that called. It decreases a lot if there were other people in the group that were not comfortable and 20 on the tour guide. As for them being Native Americans maybe it was the video quality but I wouldn't have guess it.

Yeah - try to sort it out with the tour guide first. Calling the cops is unnecessary if the guide confirms they’re part of the tour - then who cares how they act?

Yeah - try to sort it out with the tour guide first. Calling the cops is unnecessary if the guide confirms they’re part of the tour - then who cares how they act?

I'll disagree with you on that somewhat if I'm a parent and I have my kid on a tour of the school I don't want a bunch of kids cutting up and acting like fools.
The caveat being I don't know how "official" this tour was.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Survival tactic?
I
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/evolution-of-prejudice/

“Overall, the results support an evolutionary basis for prejudice. Some researchers believe prejudice is unique to humans, since it seems to depend on complex thought processes. For example, past studies have found that people are likely to display prejudice after being reminded of their mortality, or after receiving a blow to their self-esteem. Since only humans are capable of contemplating their deaths or their self-image, these studies reinforce the view that only humans are capable of prejudice. But the behavior of the rhesus monkeys implies that our basic tendency to see the world in terms of “us” and “them” has ancient origins.

Psychologist Catherine Cottrell at the University of Florida and her colleague Steven Neuberg at Arizona State University, argue that human prejudice evolved as a function of group living. Joining together in groups allowed humans to gain access to resources necessary for survival including food, water, and shelter. Groups also offered numerous advantages, such as making it easier to find a mate, care for children, and receive protection from others. However, group living also made us more wary of outsiders who could potentially harm the group by spreading disease, killing or hurting individuals, or stealing precious resources. To protect ourselves, we developed ways of identifying who belongs to our group and who doesn’t. Over time, this process of quickly evaluating others might have become so streamlined that it became unconscious.”

Don’t kid yourself ‘ro. Even you harbor unconscious bias.

Reactions: Anison
I'll disagree with you on that somewhat if I'm a parent and I have my kid on a tour of the school I don't want a bunch of kids cutting up and acting like fools.

Were the 2 kids cutting up and acting foolish?
I didn't read or see that, but I read only the first article and saw the one video I posted.
Thanks.

Tour guide, registration for it, specific start time.... likely an official or school-sponsored tour.

I
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/evolution-of-prejudice/

“Overall, the results support an evolutionary basis for prejudice. Some researchers believe prejudice is unique to humans, since it seems to depend on complex thought processes. For example, past studies have found that people are likely to display prejudice after being reminded of their mortality, or after receiving a blow to their self-esteem. Since only humans are capable of contemplating their deaths or their self-image, these studies reinforce the view that only humans are capable of prejudice. But the behavior of the rhesus monkeys implies that our basic tendency to see the world in terms of “us” and “them” has ancient origins.

Psychologist Catherine Cottrell at the University of Florida and her colleague Steven Neuberg at Arizona State University, argue that human prejudice evolved as a function of group living. Joining together in groups allowed humans to gain access to resources necessary for survival including food, water, and shelter. Groups also offered numerous advantages, such as making it easier to find a mate, care for children, and receive protection from others. However, group living also made us more wary of outsiders who could potentially harm the group by spreading disease, killing or hurting individuals, or stealing precious resources. To protect ourselves, we developed ways of identifying who belongs to our group and who doesn’t. Over time, this process of quickly evaluating others might have become so streamlined that it became unconscious.”

Don’t kid yourself ‘ro. Even you harbor unconscious bias.
I did not read your entire post just the last line-I am thoroughly conscious of my bias.

Reactions: Bob78

AgEditree. If kids are misbehaving to the point that they're disrupting the tour, something ought to be done. I would expect the tour guide to be cognizant of and able to handle that. Two of my kids were tour guides at their schools and both said that was part of the training they received.
I've never heard of a college tour that wasn't "official" i.e. conducted by or under the auspices of the school. Some are more formal and elaborate than others. Some are by invitation only. I would consider any tour run by the school to be "official."

Reactions: Bob78 and BBrown
You want to limit my rights to free speech?
Nah! Speak or type all you want. I was just trying to figure out what the heck you were talking about.

Figured your message may have made sense in response to someone else.

Carry on writing whatever to whomever about whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two late teenagers dressed in complete black and following me around and when asked their name and what they are doing refuse to speak or answer. I am calling the cops. Don’t see the issue here.

Two late teenagers dressed in complete black and following me around and when asked their name and what they are doing refuse to speak or answer. I am calling the cops. Don’t see the issue here.

Take a look at the video a page back. If those kids and their gaarb scare you, then I suggest you stay inside,triple-lock your doors, bolt your windows, and don't bother going outside again.

Take a look at the video a page back. If those kids and their gaarb scare you, then I suggest you stay inside,triple-lock your doors, bolt your windows, and don't bother going outside again.

I didn’t watch the video nor did I respond to it. My response was to Bob’s (I think that’s who it was?) comment as to prejudice being a belief. I pointed out that racial profiling is more than a belief....rather it could be something ingrained and a result of evolution (i.e a survival tactic). The link I provided in a follow up post said as much. Ro’ assumed (as he is wont to do) that because my post wasn’t a knee-jerk defense of a minority then it must be a defense of a white majority. And to be clear, I wasn’t commenting one way or the other as to the actions by either the students, the police, or the mother.

I didn’t watch the video nor did I respond to it. My response was to Bob’s (I think that’s who it was?) comment as to prejudice being a belief. I pointed out that racial profiling is more than a belief....rather it could be something ingrained and a result of evolution (i.e a survival tactic). The link I provided in a follow up post said as much. Ro’ assumed (as he is wont to do) that because my post wasn’t a knee-jerk defense of a minority then it must be a defense of a white majority. And to be clear, I wasn’t commenting one way or the other as to the actions by either the students, the police, or the mother.

Don’t bother. It’s about being right, not trying to get the point someone was trying to make, esp. if it’s perceived as not being the “correct” point or observation.

So, the mother should NEVER have called the police. The hoodie has zero to do with it. And it provides ZERO justification for what she did. You somehow think it does, or you would not have said it.

Are you functionally illiterate? “You somehow think it does... .” It sounds like you stepped in it and can’t admit you were wrong. How you got that because someone may feel wary or threatened by another person’s behavior that they should therefore call the police is beyond me. You’ve never seen a situation you thought was sketchy and just left or removed yourself from the situation without phoning the police? WTF? I can’t even make sense of the illogical connections you’re trying to make. Don’t tell me how I think you f@cktard. See I can drop the f-bomb too.

Last edited:
After watching the video, I can't believe this made the news...Actually, I can, but appears to be much ado about nothing. Two kids show up late for the tour, and refuse to identify themselves...Would I have called the cops, probably not....That being said, identify yourself when asked and this never happens. I remember taking a dozen or so college tours, I don't recall ever seeing anyone touring a school without a parent...(although I do remember my dad hitting on the hot blond tour guide at Gettysburg)...

This was a discussion about whether the mother had the RIGHT to do what she did, not whether she had some survival instinct to do it from her caveman genetic makeup.

After all, murdering those with food allows one to eat longer and thus might be considered a survival tactic. There was lots of killing in those days, too.

There are lots of reasons why people do this sort of thing. Hating on rhe stranger is an ancient thing. We have also evolved past these choices, to a place where mere survival of the individual or tribe is not the only value. We have made killing the stranger at the well ILLEGAL. That is because it is WRONG. We developed those rules because of evolution, also. They work better. Hating on the stranger is a blind alley, just like me killing your kids so mine can eat is a blind alley. Calling it instictual makes it neither less stupid nor in any sense more moral.

Are you functionally illiterate? “You somehow think it does... .” It sounds like you stepped in it and can’t admit you were wrong. How you got that because someone may feel wary or threatened by another person’s behavior that they should therefore call the police is beyond me. You’ve never seen a situation you thought was sketchy and just left or removed yourself from the situation without phoning the police? WTF? I can’t even make sense of the illogical connections you’re trying to make. Don’t tell me how I think you f@cktard. See I can drop the f-bomb too.
Did you watch the video? The kid's face was PLAINLY VISIBLE. So, that's not it. I'll tell you how you think if I see you are making up stuff to justify this absurd act by the mother.

And thats how you think.

This was a discussion about whether the mother had the RIGHT to do what she did, not whether she had some survival instinct to do it from her caveman genetic makeup.

These discussions are NEVER about whether somebody has a right to do something. These are always about one side believing they are morally superior to another.

After all, murdering those with food allows one to eat longer and thus might be considered a survival tactic. There was lots of killing in those days, too.

There are lots of reasons why people do this sort of thing. Hating on rhe stranger is an ancient thing. We have also evolved past these choices, to a place where mere survival of the individual or tribe is not the only value. We have made killing the stranger at the well ILLEGAL. That is because it is WRONG. We developed those rules because of evolution, also. They work better. Hating on the stranger is a blind alley, just like me killing your kids so mine can eat is a blind alley. Calling it instictual makes it neither less stupid nor in any sense more moral.
Many people misunderstand what white privilege is. They think it means that we whites don’t struggle. That’s not the case. It means that the quality of our struggles are different than other racial groups’ because we’re considered the “default” group by an overwhelming majority of the systems we interact with.

We are racial insiders rather than racial outsiders. The advantages we have over people of color in our system stem from our insider status. It is not a guarantee of success in life. I understand white privilege as being the product of white prevalence. Prevalent is defined as 1) being in ascendancy: dominant; and 2) generally or widely accepted, practiced, or favored: widespread. It’s also worth noting that the words prevalent and prevail come from the same root. White privilege has at its root the goal of whites prevailing over other groups.

There are examples of the benefits of white privilege in everyday life, such as, “If I should need to move, I can be pretty sure of renting or purchasing housing in an area which I can afford and in which I would want to live.” Some people say this is about class rather than race, that it is her socioeconomic class that allows her to have more choices, choices that poorer whites don’t have. This is a misconception. Yes, class plays a role in everyone’s life, but statistically speaking, race profoundly impacts housing choices and outcomes.

People of color, as well as HUD and other institutions, report that, class and financial means being equal, people of color will be funneled to neighborhoods where the economic class is on average lower than in the neighborhoods where white people are funneled. In other words, people of color often cannot find housing in areas that they can otherwise financially afford. And though there are certainly people who espouse explicit white nationalist philosophies in all spheres of U.S. society, most of this happens without conscious awareness or intention. Certainly, many whites who are real estate agents, property managers, owners, etc., hold earnest beliefs in equality but don’t see the ways they are contributing to the process.

7792034.0.jpg

After watching the video, I can't believe this made the news...Actually, I can, but appears to be much ado about nothing. Two kids show up late for the tour, and refuse to identify themselves...Would I have called the cops, probably not....That being said, identify yourself when asked and this never happens. I remember taking a dozen or so college tours, I don't recall ever seeing anyone touring a school without a parent...(although I do remember my dad hitting on the hot blond tour guide at Gettysburg)...
Yeah. The video was helpful. Still wish there was video of the event running up to the call to police. But without these kids being Native American and the context of events like Starbucks and the York golf club, this isn’t news. She overreacted. She also probably remembers Columbine.

Reactions: Bob78
These discussions are NEVER about whether somebody has a right to do something. These are always about one side believing they are morally superior to another.
She does not have a right to believe she is morally superior to anybody.

I'm still not seeing anything that indicates what their odd behavior was. By being quiet? By not answering questions asked by strangers?
Were they acting out and being disruptive somehow? If so, that's a different animal, then. I haven't read that they were.

I'd guess there are some folks who post here who would happily tell a stranger that their questions about majors, or what are you doing here, to not worry about it and to mind their own business. It is odd to not give any answer at all, but that's a pretty thin thread to hang a threat on.
Black clothing? With weird stuff on it? That's pretty common in HS and even on college campuses.

We know from the video that the hoodie was not an issue at all.

The one kid was described as shy. Those with Asberger's sometimes are awkwardly 'shy' in a group of strangers, but can interact well with authority and familiar people. I have no idea if that was the case here, but the thought crossed my feeble mind.

If it were a white kid wearing a black Polo shirt, and a Polo cap, and shades, who joined late, kept his hands in his pockets, and who told a stranger to f*** off when asked about their major or what they were doing there (Ha! that question would not have come up!), the adults would go on about their business and remark about the rude young rich kid who joined the tour. I'm thinking they would not have called 911 to mention their anxiety over it. That's the difference here, imo.

On 11 April 2011, France became the first European country to ban the full-face Islamic veil in public places.

Under the ban, no woman, French or foreign, is able to leave their home with their face hidden behind a veil without running the risk of a fine.

As President, Nicolas Sarkozy, whose administration brought in the ban, said that veils oppress women and were "not welcome" in France.

In 2016 France introduced a controversial ban on women's full-body swimsuits, known as "burkinis". Prime Minister Manuel Valls called the swimsuits "the affirmation of political Islam in the public space".

The burkini ban, imposed by French Riviera mayors, was later lifted in seaside resorts after France's top administrative court overruled the law.

It's simpler than that - there is such a thing as right and wrong. People who prejudge or treat others based on race are in the wrong- period. There is no gray area.
Agreed! 100%. The question is frequently whether the circumstance is born of prejudice or treating others differently based on race. If they are, even partially, they are in the wrong.

I found this video of the police interacting with the two kids. Seemed to be handled well by the police and by the kids.

I don't see where the hoodie was covering the kid's face - note that only one kid was wearing a hoodie. His face was in plain sight.

I'm not understanding how this is a racial issue other than somebody wants to make it one. Nothing in that video suggests to me they are Native American. If I wasn't told differently I would have said they were white. Those kids could have been me 35 years ago. They could have been me today in my black Pink Floyd t-shirt except my hair isn't that long anymore.

Doesn't seem like much of a story. Some lady freaked out because she saw some young guys in 'weird' black clothing so she called the cops. The police investigated and it turned out to be nothing so everybody went their own way. No big deal.

Reactions: Monlion
I'm not understanding how this is a racial issue other than somebody wants to make it one. Nothing in that video suggests to me they are Native American. If I wasn't told differently I would have said they were white. Those kids could have been me 35 years ago. They could have been me today in my black Pink Floyd t-shirt except my hair isn't that long anymore.

Doesn't seem like much of a story. Some lady freaked out because she saw some young guys in 'weird' black clothing so she called the cops. The police investigated and it turned out to be nothing so everybody went their own way. No big deal.

When looking at the video, I thought it was tough to tell what their race was, but white may not have been at the top of my list of guesses. The women who called it in indicated that she thought at least one of them was Hispanic. I agree with you that they had a bit of an 'every kid' look to them, which makes the woman's reaction even more curious.

I think the point is that had they been as WASPy as you or me, they likely would not have been challenged as to what they were doing there, and their silence would not have seemed threatening. I guess the perception of threat is in the eye of the beholder, and their decision to not answer uninvited questions was perceived as such by the woman.

It's a tough call sometimes, and domestic terrorism is far too prevalent. I get that. That said, I still think the woman over-reacted in a huge way in this case, and that she did so because the kids didn't look like people in her comfort zone look.

Reactions: Art
If you see something, gather all your fears and misconceptions and call police as if a crime were committed.
yet when going through security at the airport there are big signs that say, 'see something, say something'. So how do we square this?

yet when going through security at the airport there are big signs that say, 'see something, say something'. So how do we square this?
Heres how i square it: It says, " if you SEE SOMETHING....."

It naturally follows that, if all you see is someone who is different than you, and nothing else, you have not seen jack shit, and you should STFU.

Reactions: KnightSlayer
if you see something, DO SOMETHING!!

like this great Graduation marshal!!

I'm so sick of people acting like EVERY TIME a person of color is singled out and mistreated, it is racism. THERE IS NO RACISM. none. in this great country. Never has been, never will be.

Why, a cop passed me the other day on the highway. IT HAPPENS TO WHITE PEOPLE TOO!

Black college students 'aggressively' pulled off Florida graduation stage

Reactions: Nitwit97
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT