ADVERTISEMENT

A mom on a college tour called the cops on two Native American teens because they made her 'nervous'

I figured out long ago that my white, male, middle-class upbringing gives me little understanding of what it feels like to experience racism on the receiving end. I hear plenty from white people about what should not be considered racism, and many of those thoughts are countered by people of color who I have met or know and who see things from a much different perspective.

So, I have learned to know better than to decide whether or not something should be perceived as racist unless I understand what the perspective of the people on the receiving end may feel. Is the nickname "Redskins" racist? I say it without that intent, but it's not my call, imo, as my perspective is pretty one-sided and shallow. And from what I've seen, there are even varied opinions within the Native American culture. I prefer to let that decision up to those who may feel the actual impact of the name or designation.

Same with sexism. There's a whole litany of stuff I've said or laughed at or ignored that when explained to me by someone who has experienced it from a way different point of view, has changed its meaning for me. I'm still guilty of sexism to some degree, but I'm moving along the right path for me.

Diversity of thought and opinion are valuable to me, both professionally and personally. I've had to evolve to become far more open-minded than I started out being. But that has been personally rewarding for me. I find it is not hard to assume respect for others, for other points of view, for the most part. (Some knuckleheads are apparent from square 1). I also find that that respect can and should be taken away when it deserves to be.

I'm not equating basic respect or empathy for another person with political correctness. Two different animals to me.

Just my opinion. (Don't forget that the ignore feature can be your friend!)

giphy.gif

Yes. They were wearing cloths, well groomed and smiling. How dare they. We are becoming a nation of afraid of life pussies. What America needs is more walled communities and children that do not engage the ourtside world. Things will be a lot better then. God save us.
Huh? Was that a response to my post?. I was asking for information about what happened, not some broad condemnation of society.

Three things that are certain in this story:

1. There is more to it than two clean cut Native Americans show up and get cops called on them

2. Racism claims get more clicks

3. Everything else is second fiddle to #2

Yeah, I recently got pulled over too. I suppose some albinos can be considered whiter than me but not by much. I have to figure that I was targeted because of my red hair (well, it USED to be red). I'm amazed at the level of hatred that the world has toward gingers (we can call ourselves that). I dream of the day we can live without the pheomelanism rampant in our society.

Damn straight, brotha. Any non-gingers that use the word ginger or ginja (as in ginja ninja) around me and they immediately get a firm “YOU can’t say that!”.

Reactions: LionJim
So this kind of absurd over reaction happens all the time. But it only makes news when it's not a white person

1. There is more to it than two clean cut Native Americans show up and get cops called on them

As to #1:
I read just the posted story, haven't seen anything else.
Have there been updates or other stories online? What else happened?

those are certain are they? lol

Yeah, I recently got pulled over too. I suppose some albinos can be considered whiter than me but not by much. I have to figure that I was targeted because of my red hair (well, it USED to be red). I'm amazed at the level of hatred that the world has toward gingers (we can call ourselves that). I dream of the day we can live without the pheomelanism rampant in our society.
Were they able to discern that you were an escapee from McNeil Island?

So this kind of absurd over reaction happens all the time. But it only makes news when it's not a white person

I certainly think if a woman called the cops on *any* two kids who, while on a college campus tour "made her nervous", it would make the news. Really.

Well.... I'm Lebanese and have a pretty good Middle Eastern vibe going on. I got randomly pulled out of check in at the airport the other week to get a pat down. Gotta be racial profiling, right? Who do I call to sue or get my mug up on the TV?????? Maybe I'll just tweet about it and see if I can start a firestorm!!!

I am a male Caucasian and have been pulled out of security line at airports for special pat downs. I guess I look suspicious.

I am a male Caucasian and have been pulled out of security line at airports for special pat downs. I guess I look suspicious.

Sometimes it's a numbers game - sometimes it isn't. There is a difference; an airport security line is not the same as a college campus tour, but false equivalency is the theme in this thread it seems....

Who here can regale us with a similar tale to this one? I'm sure there are dozens of folks here who had the same thing happen to them...

Reactions: psu_et_vt
What about French legs?

I worked at a company that had multi-national personnel, France, Britain, Taiwan, Greece, Japan, et. al. One lady was from France. She wore stockings that seemed to have a unique design until I realized she wore shear hosiery, but didn't shave her legs.

I worked at a company that had multi-national personnel, France, Britain, Taiwan, Greece, Japan, et. al. One lady was from France. She wore stockings that seemed to have a unique design until I realized she wore shear hosiery, but didn't shave her legs.

giphy.gif

Welcome to the 'New World' Chris Columbus.....
unfortunately, some people are so insecure in their identity and so desperate to be offended they have breathed new life into H. L. Mencken’s definition of puritanism: “the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chinese prom dress draws outrage (by Bob' 92?), but Utah student said she meant no harm

LINK: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...tah-student-said-she-meant-no-harm/567846002/

"A Utah teen stands by her decision to wear a traditional Chinese dress to her prom, a move panned by some as cultural appropriation but embraced by others.

Keziah Daum said she won't give in to pressure and delete an April 22 Twitter post showing her posing with her prom date in the red cheongsam, or qipao."

"To everyone causing so much negativity," she tweeted. "I mean no disrespect to the Chinese culture. I'm simply showing my appreciation to their culture. I'm not deleting my post because I've done nothing but show my love for the culture. It's a f***ing dress. And it's beautiful."

636607592935158610-Screen-Shot-2018-05-01-at-8.14.25-AM.jpg

Nice booty.

Reactions: step.eng69
I just started binge watching Atlanta and really like it. It’s pretty funny and has some seriously biting commentary on everything. LOL

DUDE. Season Two is unreal. Glover really lets loose on the promise of a 'surreal' dramedy. It's more short story oriented with self contained episodes, but he really lets the characters breathe (and touches the fringes of shows like Twin Peaks). Let me know when you start!

DUDE. Season Two is unreal. Glover really lets loose on the promise of a 'surreal' dramedy. It's more short story oriented with self contained episodes, but he really lets the characters breathe (and touches the fringes of shows like Twin Peaks). Let me know when you start!

LOL. Ok but I kind of cheated and watched the creepy episode this season when Darius went to pick up the piano and met Teddy. I liked it so I went back to season 1 and started watching. I just finished the one with the Blogger and Paper Boi. Good stuff. I'm not sure Donald Glover is getting all the acclaim he deserves, maybe by industry insiders but I think for the most part the General Public doesn't know who he is, well until Solo that looks half-way decent.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
LOL. Ok but I kind of cheated and watched the creepy episode this season when Darius went to pick up the piano and met Teddy. I liked it so I went back to season 1 and started watching. I just finished the one with the Blogger and Paper Boi. Good stuff. I'm not sure Donald Glover is getting all the acclaim he deserves, maybe by industry insiders but I think for the most part the General Public doesn't know who he is, well until Solo that looks half-way decent.

Maybe the general public at large but I think he has an Emmy, Grammy, and Golden Globe. He’s hosting SNL this weekend too. He was great on Community too and his stand up is funny as hell.

You did cheat, but you’re forgiven. Still - the two seasons are very different.

Reactions: BBrown
I absolutely do not get the issue here. She looks great, and so does the dress - it's respectful and worn properly. I just....wow. I did see the Chinese response was very positive and supportive.

And if we're opening the Friday 'Is this racist?' can of worms, Gigi Hadid is taking heat for her Vogue Italia cover...

gigi-hadid-vogue-italia-blackface.jpg

DcSyt49VwAATylm.jpg

What Gigi normally looks like....

DPIPtR5X4AUKlAR.jpg

Gigi doesn't normally look like anything. Her face changes by the day.

LdN

I figured out long ago that my white, male, middle-class upbringing gives me little understanding of what it feels like to experience racism on the receiving end. I hear plenty from white people about what should not be considered racism, and many of those thoughts are countered by people of color who I have met or know and who see things from a much different perspective.

So, I have learned to know better than to decide whether or not something should be perceived as racist unless I understand what the perspective of the people on the receiving end may feel. Is the nickname "Redskins" racist? I say it without that intent, but it's not my call, imo, as my perspective is pretty one-sided and shallow. And from what I've seen, there are even varied opinions within the Native American culture. I prefer to let that decision up to those who may feel the actual impact of the name or designation.

Same with sexism. There's a whole litany of stuff I've said or laughed at or ignored that when explained to me by someone who has experienced it from a way different point of view, has changed its meaning for me. I'm still guilty of sexism to some degree, but I'm moving along the right path for me.

Diversity of thought and opinion are valuable to me, both professionally and personally. I've had to evolve to become far more open-minded than I started out being. But that has been personally rewarding for me. I find it is not hard to assume respect for others, for other points of view, for the most part. (Some knuckleheads are apparent from square 1). I also find that that respect can and should be taken away when it deserves to be.

I'm not equating basic respect or empathy for another person with political correctness. Two different animals to me.

This is called white guilt. There's a name for it and you implying white people who are middle class can't understand racism... well that's a micro aggression right there. Wait maybe micro-agression isn't the right word here... not sure.

I'm sorry for you that you didn't ever experience racism. I did, when I moved to England, when I lived in France both as a child and when I went to a primarily Asian university for two years.

Being white does not mean you've never experienced hatred.

And yes, while you're talking about yourself, you're implying it is a skin color and wealth thing.

LdN

Reactions: bison13

If he had said, Chinese People, on average, are shorter than African Americans, would that be racist?

https://www.disabled-world.com/calculators-charts/height-chart.php

It's an argument I got into once about what defines a stereotype and not.

I said, women's hair is longer than men's. I was told I was stereotyping. I said, no - on average women have longer hair. And they are able to grow it longer in general before it falls out.

It's the opposite of a stereotype.

LdN

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13

Outstanding Bob

Reactions: Bob78
This is called white guilt. There's a name for it and you implying white people who are middle class can't understand racism... well that's a micro aggression right there. Wait maybe micro-agression isn't the right word here... not sure.

I'm sorry for you that you didn't ever experience racism. I did, when I moved to England, when I lived in France both as a child and when I went to a primarily Asian university for two years.

Being white does not mean you've never experienced hatred.

And yes, while you're talking about yourself, you're implying it is a skin color and wealth thing.

LdN

I was speaking strictly for myself; you can add your own assumptions about what I wrote or about me if you choose. That said, I am hard-pressed to think of racism not being based primarily on skin color and national origins. What am I missing there? Wealth? Comes into play, certainly, but not what I had in mind here.

I didn't say I have not experienced racism or hatred. I have, in small, isolated, relatively very rare instances. Example: My first discussion about racism with my Dad when I was a kid was about an incident that happened to me at a Little League All-Star game in Harrisburg when I said hello to a black kid on another team. Luckily for me, my Dad, a WWII veteran and working in a blue collar job, told me to (essentially) base my feelings about people on what kind of people they are, and not on race.
Overall, any experience I've had has been a rare instance, largely because of where I grew up, where I went to college, and where I worked and lived since then. I'm always in the majority. That 'pales' in comparison to what the average minority has experienced. (But now I'm over 60, and I'm seeing some hard ageism in the workplace and in job searches).

My brother and his family lived in France, outside of Paris, for 3 years in the 80s. Their kids experienced a significant degree of bias being American, so more nationalism than racism. Americans were not necessarily embraced warmly, but tolerated.

I'd guess most of the people who read what I wrote understood that I was talking about consistent, pervasive racism, both subtle and not-so-subtle, that many/most minorities in the US experience in their everyday lives... at work, at school, in social situations, while running errands, while making major purchases, etc. I do not believe that the average white, middle class, male can fully understand the impact and the frustration of racism, because they have not experienced it. It's not much different than anything else.... I don't know what it is like to live in poverty, so I cannot truly understand it, only try to by listening to those who live it, and then by being empathetic to their experiences.
So, yes, certainly a white person can understand racism as far as their minds will allow, as I think I try to, but not to the extent that a person who experiences it daily in their home town, home state, home country, can understand it and its impact on them. How could they?

If my recognition of that equates to white guilt in your mind, so be it. It's wrong, and more recognition and intelligent conversation - stripped of preconceived ideas - about the whys and the hows and the ways to resolve it are generally constructive. I have nothing to be guilty about personally, and I never have, but I recognize that the barriers to equality and opportunity have been built on the actions of white people throughout the history of the US. I believe those barriers need to come down permanently.

White guilt? Micro-aggression? Those sound like phrases used by people who are inconvenienced by the changes needed to be made. Just my opinion.

If he had said, Chinese People, on average, are shorter than African Americans, would that be racist?

https://www.disabled-world.com/calculators-charts/height-chart.php

It's an argument I got into once about what defines a stereotype and not.

I said, women's hair is longer than men's. I was told I was stereotyping. I said, no - on average women have longer hair. And they are able to grow it longer in general before it falls out.

It's the opposite of a stereotype.

LdN

I'd say don't waste your time arguing with someone who wants to equate a basic physical characteristic of a people with the real meaning of racism or the negative aspects of stereotyping / assuming negatives about someone based on physical characteristics only. I'd figure they don't have the depth of thought necessary to carry on an informed conversation about an important subject.

I think most here understand the difference between stereotyping about hair length and the problems and issues brought on by racism and sexism.

But I'm thinking I may be told otherwise fairly soon!

I hate everyone equally. Is that O.K.?

EDIT: I hate me most. I’m MEIST. :eek:

Treating people consistently is the key. So, you're good here.
I'd wish you a good day, but self-loatheism prohibits that, I think.

Reactions: psuro
Treating people consistently is the key. So, you're good here.
I'd wish you a good day, but self-loatheism prohibits that, I think.

I agree with the first point.

I hate when I have a good day. Such a waste.

Reactions: Bob78
Welcome to the 'New World' Chris Columbus.....
unfortunately, some people are so insecure in their identity and so desperate to be offended they have breathed new life into H. L. Mencken’s definition of puritanism: “the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chinese prom dress draws outrage (by Bob' 92?), but Utah student said she meant no harm

LINK: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...tah-student-said-she-meant-no-harm/567846002/

"A Utah teen stands by her decision to wear a traditional Chinese dress to her prom, a move panned by some as cultural appropriation but embraced by others.

Keziah Daum said she won't give in to pressure and delete an April 22 Twitter post showing her posing with her prom date in the red cheongsam, or qipao."

"To everyone causing so much negativity," she tweeted. "I mean no disrespect to the Chinese culture. I'm simply showing my appreciation to their culture. I'm not deleting my post because I've done nothing but show my love for the culture. It's a f***ing dress. And it's beautiful."

636607592935158610-Screen-Shot-2018-05-01-at-8.14.25-AM.jpg

Believe it or not people have made a fuss about cultural appropriation when it comes to food. Is it ok for a white person to serve or eat chinese food?

Reactions: step.eng69
I am as pale and white as they come. I am also 6’-1 and bigger than the average bear. Even while it is clear that I am traveling with my wife and kids, I get pulled out of the line EVERY time. My wife and I joke about it and count on it happening.

Not sure why anyone thinks being pulled out of line is a racist thing. It’s a safety thing and I am sure a numbers thing as well. Folks have to get over some things. Just because you are being subject to a random search doesn’t mean it only happens to your race or you are being singled out

ADVERTISEMENT