ADVERTISEMENT

A mom on a college tour called the cops on two Native American teens because they made her 'nervous'

BobPSU92

May 6, 2015
See the link below. From the article:

“(CNN) — For the two Native American brothers, Colorado State University was their dream school.

But when they showed up for a campus tour, a parent of another prospective student called the police on them because they apparently made her "nervous," the school said.”

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/05/04/us/colorado-state-university-racial-profiling-trnd/index.html

It was just a little misunderstanding.

:eek:
Who knows the facts here? Many campus tours include checking in with univ. authorities, providing names, etc., then getting access to otherwise secured places like student dorms while on tour. Was this just a giant walk around publicly accessible places? Was there any effort to identify them with campus or tour officials? The article made it seem all about race. Was there any other cause for concern?

Who knows the facts here? Many campus tours include checking in with univ. authorities, providing names, etc., then getting access to otherwise secured places like student dorms while on tour. Was this just a giant walk around publicly accessible places? Was there any effort to identify them with campus or tour officials? The article made it seem all about race. Was there any other cause for concern?
Then let the tour guide take care of it.

Reactions: BBrown
can someone copy and paste the article?

A mom on a college tour called the cops on two Native American teens because they made her 'nervous'

By Dakin Andone and Hollie Silverman, CNN

Updated 12:41 PM ET, Fri May 4, 2018

Colorado State University in Fort Collins
(CNN)For the two Native American brothers, Colorado State University was their dream school.

But when they showed up for a campus tour, a parent of another prospective student called the police on them because they apparently made her "nervous," the school said.
Critics are holding up the incident as just the latest example of racial profiling. In the past few days, two African American men were arrested for sitting in a Philadelphia Starbucks; a group of African American women had the cops called on them at a golf course for playing too slow; and a gym was forced to apologize after a member felt he was racially profiled and asked to leave.
"This incident is sad and frustrating from nearly every angle, particularly the experience of two students who were here to see if this was a good fit for them as an institution," school officials said.

They arrived a little late for the tour
The teens saved their own money to take the family's only car and drive 7 hours from New Mexico to Fort Collins, Colorado, to visit the campus Monday, their mother told reporters with CNN affiliates KOAT and KRQE.
"This was their dream school, and I wanted to give them that opportunity," the mother, Lorraine Kahneratokwas Gray, said.
By the time they showed up, the tour had already begun.
"A parent participating in the tour called campus police because she was nervous about the presence of two young men who joined the tour while it was in progress," the school said.
Officers responded and pulled the young men aside while the tour continued on ahead without them.
When the police confirmed the brothers were part of the tour, they let them rejoin the group. But by that time, the tour had moved on, the school said.
"It breaks my heart, because they didn't do anything to warrant that," Gray told the affiliate. "They're walking on their own ancestors' land, so it breaks my heart."
School says it regrets the incident
Colorado State officials said they are working to ensure there's not a repeat of such an incident. They've also reached out to the students' family.
"As a university community, we deeply regret the experience of these students while they were guests on our campus," they said. "The fact that these two students felt unwelcome on our campus while here as visitors runs counter to our principles of community."
Colorado's Lt. Gov. Donna Lynne said her office was concerned as well. Lynne also serves as the chair of Colorado's Commission on Indian Affairs.
"We want to reiterate our commitment to ensuring our public universities are open and welcoming to all students and hope that the young men will not be deterred in their pursuit of attending college in Colorado, a traditional homeland to many tribal nations," Lynne said.
This piece has been updated to correct the names of the CNN affiliates with whom the mother spoke and the photo of the campus.

OL

See the link below. From the article:

“(CNN) — For the two Native American brothers, Colorado State University was their dream school.

But when they showed up for a campus tour, a parent of another prospective student called the police on them because they apparently made her "nervous," the school said.”

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/05/04/us/colorado-state-university-racial-profiling-trnd/index.html

It was just a little misunderstanding.

:eek:

"A parent participating in the tour called campus police because she was nervous about the presence of two young men who joined the tour while it was in progress"

All those native american boys... always having the police phoned on them. White kids never have the police called on them... EVER.

LdN

Lots of folks just seem remarkably quick to call the police lately. I’m not sure what these two could have possibly done that was so suspicious to warrant calling the police.

Welcome to the 'New World' Chris Columbus.....
unfortunately, some people are so insecure in their identity and so desperate to be offended they have breathed new life into H. L. Mencken’s definition of puritanism: “the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chinese prom dress draws outrage (by Bob' 92?), but Utah student said she meant no harm

LINK: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...tah-student-said-she-meant-no-harm/567846002/

"A Utah teen stands by her decision to wear a traditional Chinese dress to her prom, a move panned by some as cultural appropriation but embraced by others.

Keziah Daum said she won't give in to pressure and delete an April 22 Twitter post showing her posing with her prom date in the red cheongsam, or qipao."

"To everyone causing so much negativity," she tweeted. "I mean no disrespect to the Chinese culture. I'm simply showing my appreciation to their culture. I'm not deleting my post because I've done nothing but show my love for the culture. It's a f***ing dress. And it's beautiful."

636607592935158610-Screen-Shot-2018-05-01-at-8.14.25-AM.jpg

Welcome to the 'New World' Chris Columbus.....
unfortunately, some people are so insecure in their identity and so desperate to be offended they have breathed new life into H. L. Mencken’s definition of puritanism: “the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chinese prom dress draws rage (by Bob' 92?), but Utah student said she meant no harm

LINK: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...tah-student-said-she-meant-no-harm/567846002/

"A Utah teen stands by her decision to wear a traditional Chinese dress to her prom, a move panned by some as cultural appropriation but embraced by others.

Keziah Daum said she won't give in to pressure and delete an April 22 Twitter post showing her posing with her prom date in the red cheongsam, or qipao."

"To everyone causing so much negativity," she tweeted. "I mean no disrespect to the Chinese culture. I'm simply showing my appreciation to their culture. I'm not deleting my post because I've done nothing but show my love for the culture. It's a f***ing dress. And it's beautiful."

636607592935158610-Screen-Shot-2018-05-01-at-8.14.25-AM.jpg

I absolutely do not get the issue here. She looks great, and so does the dress - it's respectful and worn properly. I just....wow. I did see the Chinese response was very positive and supportive.

And if we're opening the Friday 'Is this racist?' can of worms, Gigi Hadid is taking heat for her Vogue Italia cover...

gigi-hadid-vogue-italia-blackface.jpg

DcSyt49VwAATylm.jpg

What Gigi normally looks like....

DPIPtR5X4AUKlAR.jpg

The article said that these two guys were from NMex., and Colorado State was their dream school. Their mother referred to some ancestry in the area.

So, is it so out of the ordinary that two Native Americans would show up on a college campus in Colorado? I don't know the area, but I would guess that there is some degree of Native American history in and around that area, and therefore, possibly some actual folks of N.A. heritage! That by itself should not trigger suspicion, should it?

The school's response has been swift and appropriate, imo.

I looked up CSU's demographics, and Native American / Alaskan native are lumped together and comprise just 1% of the student population. But, there are some N.A. students there.

I wonder if that percentage will increase or decrease as a result of this incident? Maybe nothing will change, and it will blow over soon enough. (Sometimes that happens with an appropriate, reasoned response. Just sayin', OGBOT.)

Link: http://www.collegeportraits.org/CO/CSU/characteristics

Then let the tour guide take care of it.
Thanks Jim. One of my questions above: “Was there any effort to identify them with campus or tour officials?”

I certainly agree that would have been a heck of a place to start.

Two ethnically Native American guys show up. >> nervous lady calls the cops. Could be an awful story of racially profiling and over-reaction. Could also be a story where more facts would be helpful.

Seems to me that people are more fearful these days, scared of their own shadows. Wouldn't a "Hi, are you here for the tour?" be appropriate? Instead, there's no way the lady's kid is going to CSU now.

+1000. It seems to me a little common sense could have averted a number of these situations.
Also sounds like the parent was a real snowflake. ;)

Reactions: m48tank
Well.... I'm Lebanese and have a pretty good Middle Eastern vibe going on. I got randomly pulled out of check in at the airport the other week to get a pat down. Gotta be racial profiling, right? Who do I call to sue or get my mug up on the TV?????? Maybe I'll just tweet about it and see if I can start a firestorm!!!

Lots of folks just seem remarkably quick to call the police lately. I’m not sure what these two could have possibly done that was so suspicious to warrant calling the police.

And some folks (ahem) apparently never call the police, even when they believe that a child has been sexually assaulted in their presence. (Sorry. Couldn’t resist.).

Reactions: Bob78 and BBrown
Well.... I'm Lebanese and have a pretty good Middle Eastern vibe going on. I got randomly pulled out of check in at the airport the other week to get a pat down. Gotta be racial profiling, right? Who do I call to sue or get my mug up on the TV?????? Maybe I'll just tweet about it and see if I can start a firestorm!!!

Love your Bologna, the regular not the sweet. ;)

Sorry I thought that was in keeping with this thread.

I have a friend that went through a period where was routinely pulled out of line to be patted down. He’s white but at the time had longer hair and a goatee. He always wonder if the long hair and goatee was reason - maybe he looked like a drug smuggler. One out of Miami Vice. LOL!

Yes. They were wearing cloths, well groomed and smiling. How dare they. We are becoming a nation of afraid of life pussies. What America needs is more walled communities and children that do not engage the ourtside world. Things will be a lot better then. God save us.

Yeah, I recently got pulled over too. I suppose some albinos can be considered whiter than me but not by much. I have to figure that I was targeted because of my red hair (well, it USED to be red). I'm amazed at the level of hatred that the world has toward gingers (we can call ourselves that). I dream of the day we can live without the pheomelanism rampant in our society.

I've learned my lesson. Never call anything "racism" on this board.

Bob and Ro are notorious for posting these kinds of threads; while topical and worth discussing, you can almost predict to the letter what the board lefties and righties will say.....

Lefties: Racist!

Righties: What about white people?!

21dc5c8a3a0bd683be0ec3730efab54c.gif

Bob and Ro are notorious for posting these kinds of threads; while topical and worth discussing, you can almost predict to the letter what the board lefties and righties will say.....

White people are never racist. FACT

Reactions: Nittany Ned2
Just seems strange. were these kids acting up or saying crazy things or generally creating issues? I was just on a tour up at PSU a few weeks ago. If all of a sudden a few more high school age kids showed up and started walking around with us, why would i care unless they were creating huge issues. And before calling the cops, I would goto the tour guide and ask a question what was going on if some random kids were acting a little crazy on the tour. Something just not right in this story.

I started the thread looking for some good interwebs OUTRAGE. :eek: and possibly mature discussion, not an over-the-top partisan shitstorm. Leave that to the TEST. BOARD. :eek: .

I figured out long ago that my white, male, middle-class upbringing gives me little understanding of what it feels like to experience racism on the receiving end. I hear plenty from white people about what should not be considered racism, and many of those thoughts are countered by people of color who I have met or know and who see things from a much different perspective.

So, I have learned to know better than to decide whether or not something should be perceived as racist unless I understand what the perspective of the people on the receiving end may feel. Is the nickname "Redskins" racist? I say it without that intent, but it's not my call, imo, as my perspective is pretty one-sided and shallow. And from what I've seen, there are even varied opinions within the Native American culture. I prefer to let that decision up to those who may feel the actual impact of the name or designation.

Same with sexism. There's a whole litany of stuff I've said or laughed at or ignored that when explained to me by someone who has experienced it from a way different point of view, has changed its meaning for me. I'm still guilty of sexism to some degree, but I'm moving along the right path for me.

Diversity of thought and opinion are valuable to me, both professionally and personally. I've had to evolve to become far more open-minded than I started out being. But that has been personally rewarding for me. I find it is not hard to assume respect for others, for other points of view, for the most part. (Some knuckleheads are apparent from square 1). I also find that that respect can and should be taken away when it deserves to be.

I'm not equating basic respect or empathy for another person with political correctness. Two different animals to me.

Just my opinion. (Don't forget that the ignore feature can be your friend!)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT