ADVERTISEMENT

A casual fan's reaction to Haines-O'Connor

Conewago

Jul 10, 2017
My father is a very casual wrestling fan.

I've taken him to 2 Penn State wrestling matches, but they were a long time ago. I think the one was back during the "punt" year against Indiana. I forget the other one.

Dad hasn't watched a wrestling match since then, until Levi's final - which was because we're all from Biglerville.

Although Dad admits he could be biased as a Biglerville graduate, he still had this to say and ask:

"I like wrestling. I think it's fun to watch. That, to me, that second period ... that was not really wrestling. I don't understand why a guy's allowed to just hang on the legs over multiple restarts. He didn't try to break him down. I don't know that Levi wins if they call it differently, but that was not fun. I don't like wrestling when it isn't fun. Why do they call it like that?"

Yeah O'Conner was the cagey NC veteran who to me looked pretty large for the weight, and the true freshman Levi had yet to go up against anyone with that combination of skill and experience. Another year and Levi will have both the experience and more skill to deal with an opponent like O'Conner. Levi exceeded my expectations by a mile this year, and I can't wait to watch the rest of his career play out.

18 year old lost to a 24 year old. Pretty much that simple.

Might be the last time we see Haines lose a match.

Reactions: royboy
I love Levi's style. AOC simply was bigger, stronger and controlled that match. No shame there. I actually thought all of the champs really controlled their matches and they were the better wrestler that day.

AOC controlled Levi
OToole controlled.
CStar never in danger
AB never in danger
Nick Pitt controlled the match
Unfortunately Parris was a killer
Glory controlled
Vito was just better
I stopped watching!!

I love Levi's style. AOC simply was bigger, stronger and controlled that match. No shame there. I actually thought all of the champs really controlled their matches and they were the better wrestler that day.

AOC controlled Levi
OToole controlled.
CStar never in danger
AB never in danger
Glory controlled
Vito was just better
I stopped watching!!
I agree with you, but 141 was by far the best finals match entertainment wise (other than the 5 minute review) as the control shifted back and forth throughout the match.
149 was just Yianni controlled.

Reactions: SJP80 and hlstone

AOC controlled Levi
OToole controlled.
CStar never in danger
AB never in danger
Glory controlled
Vito was just better
I stopped watching!!
Levi got beat by a girl?!!?

I agree with you, but 141 was by far the best finals match entertainment wise (other than the 5 minute review) as the control shifted back and forth throughout the match.
149 was just Yianni controlled.
yes, I stopped watching after Kerk and RBY and had no interest in Woods and Yanni (shame on me). Plus I'm 5 hours ahead and it was early in the am!!!

As PSU fans we can't really complain about the leg pinch ride as we have a few guys who have perfected that ride. I would rather see top guys be pushed for more attempts to turn but as of right now its the rules that allow it.

Reactions: yekrut321
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT