ADVERTISEMENT

2024 NCAA's - Day 3 - Match/discussion thread

AB really did a great job in the finals. Hidlay was going to try and do his BS stalling for 6:30 and then try to pick him off but Brooks wouldn't allow it. The only thing Trent succeeded at was not getting bonused.

Reactions: Cafe210
Yikes. Maybe you don't know, but wrestling is a pretty physically demanding sport. There's plenty of moves within the rules that cause cause stress on muscles and joints. If you put a power half on a kid like the other Steiber who's shoulders were basically held together by Elmers glue, that's the sport.

I did it, poorly. As an untalented, undersized, late to the game without the right build guy who joined a high school team on lark with a buddy, because we needed something athletic on college applications, trust me I understand the rigors of the sport. Sweat, blood, fatigue and discomfort are part of the game and as is their intentional infliction.

Those are the same reasons I was glad that the rules were designed to prevent intentional injury, because if intentional injury was allowed; I'd have been in a wheel chair for the past few decades.

At the same time Burroughs is auditioning to be a coach and talking about how the couch makes a "man"; he's on TV contemplating/encouraging the targeting of an injury without regard for his opponent's health.

You wrestle an opponent, not an enemy.

Last edited:
The hawks missed out on a team trophy, but they didn’t go home empty handed. The two most powerful blocs in wrestling, The Slush and the PAID IOWA HATERS, sponsored and presented them with the inaugural LEVEL PLAYING FIELD AWARD. Guess it’s true, you get what you earn.
il_fullxfull.4995022908_mt6b.jpg

I did it, poorly. As an untalented, undersized, late to the game without the right build guy who joined a high school team on lark with a buddy, because we needed something athletic on college applications, trust me I understand the rigors of the sport. Sweat, blood, fatigue and discomfort are part of the game and as is their intentional infliction.

Those are the same reasons I was glad that the rules were designed to prevent intentional injury, because if intentional injury was allowed; I'd have been in a wheel chair for the past few decades.

At the same time Burroughs is auditioning to be a coach and talking about how the couch makes a "man"; he's on TV contemplating/encouraging the targeting of an injury without regard for his opponent's health.

You wrestle an opponent, not an enemy.
Correct. Wrestling is a tough sport and injuries happen, but there are a lot of rules in place to try to keep the injuries to a minimum. If a wrestler does something that is perceived as a deliberate attempt to injure their opponent, or if they don’t use proper technique and cause an injury (like a slam) they get DQd.

A few years ago, J’Den Cox got a little too enthusiastic and slammed his opponent on the floor, outside the mat area. He got DQd on the spot. Cox had the decency to write an apology to the other wrestler afterwards. If you make a public statement on TV about your intention to deliberately injure another wrestler, I don’t think that’s going to sit well with the rest of the wrestling community.

Try to wrap your head around this stat: We finished 6 points behind Ohio State, Nebraska, and Oklahoma State combined. These three traditional powers were a scant few placement points from Davis or Nagao from being topped by Penn State alone. Wow.
That’s not the best way to think about it IMO. Take the top scorer’s points at each weight from that (or any) set of schools and compare that sum to our total …

I don't mind Cormier -- my god, have we already forgotten Johnson and GIbbons? Understood that he's not for everyone, and that's OK.

But really, Mason Beckman calling him out for unprofessionalism?
I can't even imagine thinking Johnson and Gibbons were as bad as Cormier and Burroughs. That's laughable. I could actually stand to listen to Tim and Jim, whereas Cormier is a certified yapper and a lousy commentator and Burroughs is out there threatening injuries.

I couldn't make it long before muting and putting on Byers.

I can't even imagine thinking Johnson and Gibbons were as bad as Cormier and Burroughs. That's laughable. I could actually stand to listen to Tim and Jim, whereas Cormier is a certified yapper and a lousy commentator and Burroughs is out there threatening injuries.

When did Burroughs threaten to injure Carter?

All he said was he would attack a weak point. Which is absolutely true for any competitor, and legal.

If the roles were reversed -- Burroughs wore a bulky knee brace and Carter were healthy -- Carter would absolutely go after it, without the tiniest bit of remorse. As he should. If an opponent has a weakness and you don't try to exploit it, you're not competing.

Burroughs' mistake here was personalizing it. Had he said everyone at trials would go after Carter's knee, he'd still be right, because it's so obvious. But he said "I would" and therefore everyone here has lost their minds.

Last edited:

All he said was he would attack a weak point. Which is absolutely true for any competitor, and legal.
You might be right but I think it was pretty bad taste for him to say that on a public broadcast. Besides, if that is going to be his strategy, I don’t think it was wise to let Carter and the PSU coaches know about it.

If the roles were reversed -- Burroughs wore a bulky knee brace and Carter were healthy -- Carter would absolutely go after it, without the tiniest bit of remorse. As he should. If an opponent has a weakness and you don't try to exploit it, you're not competing.

Burroughs' mistake here was personalizing it. Had he said everyone at trials would go after Carter's knee, he'd still be right, because it's so obvious. But he said "I would" and therefore everyone here has lost their minds.
I honestly don't remember Carter going after Griffith's bad knee as a focus of his attacks. If I'm wrong I'll stand corrected?

I’ve read your additional edits and I think you’re right. We’re reading something into Burroughs statement that he really didn’t say. However, I think we both agree that he should have exercised some discretion about the topic. There are probably a lot of Carter fans who don’t post here that are reading a malicious intent into what Burroughs said.

I’ve read your additional edits and I think you’re right. We’re reading something into Burroughs statement that he really didn’t say. However, I think we both agree that he should have exercised some discretion about the topic. There are probably a lot of Carter fans who don’t post here that are reading a malicious intent into what Burroughs said.
Yep, you and I are in complete agreement here.

We just got 4 champs, two 4x champs, broke the scoring record, broke the margin of victory record ... and we're angry about something a color commentator said or didn't say?

Shortest-lived celebration ever, and for what? If we can't enjoy this, what can we enjoy?

Some more IA factoids:

No Championship
No Champion
No Trophy
All Hawks last match loss
Only 4 AA's - 3 were portal transfers
Outscored by Iowa State for the first time since...1987.
Only in-state school with 0 champs (ISU & UNI each had 1)
Tied for Brands's second-worst NCAA finish ever
Brands's second-lowest point total ever
Lower placement than 7 of Zalesky's 9 seasons
Lower point total than 7 of Zalesky's 9 seasons

😬

Just putting this question in this thread instead of adding a new thread. How old is Tyler? He was on the U17 world team in May 2022, but not sure of the cutoffs and such.

Last night, they had O'Toole-Carr and Messenbrink - Caliendo going on and they're talking about transfers out of Minnesota. They are ****ing horrific. The only way it could get worse is if they added Sonnen to the mix. Rock Harrison and Cocaine Shane, real announcers with enthusiasm were done a disservice.

They should have tossed them before the last contract extension.

FYI - when I was coaching HS in WA, we had a first year guy with a lot of talent who was also a physical specimen. He was leading his opponent in a tournament but got called several times for locking hands. I was yelling from the corner for him to cut the guy and go neutral but he didn’t and got DQd for the final locked hands call. I asked him why he didn’t cut the guy loose and he told me he couldn’t understand what I was saying between the crowd noise and his headgear.

There’s a pretty good chance that Cael’s corner was trying to let MM know that he was losing on RT, but he couldn’t understand what they were saying. We might learn more in the upcoming interviews.
Should of thrown a brick...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT