ADVERTISEMENT

2024 B1Gs - Day 2

He did, but his injury occurred on Jan. 29, 2018. Big Tens started on March 3, 2018. He had an almost five weeks to to rehab his injury.
If I remember correctly they made a rule for that year after the Suriano situation because they had to re seed the entire 125 bracket when they became aware that he wouldn’t be wrestling.

Reactions: mn78psu83
Just got home. Left after 165 :(. My son was a champ; he’s not a wrestler and still watched almost every match, wrestlebacks, 9th place mini-tournaments, non-PSU guys, etc. But he has school tomorrow and staying thru 285 wasn’t going to work.

Shout out to @Hey_Blue (seats next to mine), @86PSUPaul ,@hlstone @creamery freak, @RoarLions1 and everyone else. Nice meeting and seeing you all.

You think somebody from outside the wrestling program called Cael and told him he couldn't let Carter wrestle? If that's the case where do you think Cael will be coaching next year? I'm thinking he ends up at Pitt.
Some people have lost their damn minds over this. There's some Area 51 level stuff floating around here. Thankfully we haven't hit GIA level conspiracies yet.

Carter had his nation-leading 64 match win streak ended, a chance to become a 4x B1G Champion and Hodge Winner ended... and potentially fully cleared to wrestle by his private physician.... and apparently led to believe by PSU that the decision would be his and he would be allowed to wrestle (apparently several hundred people from Erie, including his family, made trip to College Park to watch him wrestle.... and they were treated to watching him forfeit.). But some of you a-holes say he has nothing to be pissed about. Don't necessarily think it was Cael, but my Alma Mater's Athletic Department and shit-show Administration has done it yet again.
It is hard to believe that Carter, would throw all his wrestling dreams away over this situation. If he quits and leaves, then he will not get an automatic shot at trials, will not be a 4 timer. will be out of NLWC and PSU.
Where and who does he train with? Not to mention the cost of travel, health insurance ..... He still gets his NIL $$. But to burn his bridges? I do not see that. I could be wrong, but I feel he will be grateful to wrestle at Nationals.

Brooks was awesome but I could make an argument for Davis as tourney MVP. He won a bracket that had the #1, 2, 4, 5, 8 and 9th ranked wrestlers

Last edited:
If I remember correctly they made a rule for that year after the Suriano situation because they had to re seed the entire 125 bracket when they became aware that he wouldn’t be wrestling.
Perhaps, but Suriano did take one 0:01 INJ DEF at B10s that year.

I'm not sure what the 2nd INJ DEF accomplishes. Has it actually affected anybody's seed?

players lol
one of the dumbest things I've read today, and there was competition
Also, the Big Ten title means nothing. The whole point of the tournament is to figure out who the 15-33 seeds will be. Carter will either get the #3 or #4 seed which means he'll be wrestling a top-4 guy in the semis just like he would be if he wrestled. AB did it last year and Carter will have it just as easy.

Perhaps, but Suriano did take one 0:01 INJ DEF at B10s that year.

I'm not sure what the 2nd INJ DEF accomplishes. Has it actually affected anybody's seed?

There was another injury situation that prompted that, right? Guy MFF twice, got a bid, and didnt wrestle? So they ruled you have to compete at conference championships but left the :01 loophole.

Some people have lost their damn minds over this. There's some Area 51 level stuff floating around here. Thankfully we haven't hit GIA level conspiracies yet.
I made my point and that's about Terrell. If Carter goes then fantastic, if not, my point stands.

Reactions: Ski
It is hard to believe that Carter, would throw all his wrestling dreams away over this situation. If he quits and leaves, then he will not get an automatic shot at trials, will not be a 4 timer. will be out of NLWC and PSU.
Where and who does he train with? Not to mention the cost of travel, health insurance ..... He still gets his NIL $$. But to burn his bridges? I do not see that. I could be wrong, but I feel he will be grateful to wrestle at Nationals.
I was thinking the same thing. Unless he's going right to MMA he pretty much has to show up for Nationals and win it.

Reactions: Ski and PSUeng
He weighed in at about 190 in the postseason
By his own account, he was never really a full-size 197. Have read several statements attributed to him to the effect he weighed in the high 180's to low 190's his last year in that weight class, and that he believes 184 is his most natural wrestling weight.

Isn’t deliberating putting a foot or hand off the mat for a fresh start supposed to be stalling or a violation? Cause it happens a ton.

If there's one thing I wouldn't want to be at NCAAs it's the #1 or #2 seed at 125.
I get the sentiment but considering how many guys are capable of beating each other, give me the easiest possible first 2 matches while they are busy facing each other.

The only hitch is if Figueroa ends up 15 or 18 -- which is threading a needle and especially unlikely if Figs beats Kaylor in the Pac 12 final tonight.

Reactions: District four
I hear you but I'm not so sure a #2 seed will be a favorite against a 16/17 guy. Hell, the #1 guy probably wouldn't be favored in some HS tournaments.
I think Babyfaces toughest style match ups aren't falling that far down. We will see.

Bring it like he did this weekend and let it fly. It's March and it's Penn freaking State

I’d could believe that… but if he was cleared by his physician why would PSU Admin say no? Sign a waiver exonerating them of any liability and go for it.

So why would hundreds of his supporters show up expecting him to wrestle..... only to be treated to two Forfeits??? Why would Carter be pissed if he was told this was going to be the way it was??? Why would Carter leave College Park and not be there for the remainder of Tournament and trophy presentation??? Given how this has played out, it's rather ridiculous to claim that Carter was not led to believe he would be allowed to compete.

Carter had his nation-leading 64 match win streak ended, a chance to become a 4x B1G Champion and Hodge Winner ended... and potentially fully cleared to wrestle by his private physician.... and apparently led to believe by PSU that the decision would be his and he would be allowed to wrestle (apparently several hundred people from Erie, including his family, made trip to College Park to watch him wrestle.... and they were treated to watching him forfeit.). But some of you a-holes say he has nothing to be pissed about. Don't necessarily think it was Cael, but my Alma Mater's Athletic Department and shit-show Administration has done it yet again.
If anything the PSU medical staff spoke to Cael and coaches about competing over the 2 days and the risk injury. I truly think Cael said no. Maybe that should have been discussed and determined by Thursday.
No way did administration get involved.

what’s the rule on trials? I thought Carter’s only route now was winning NCAAs.

If Carter REALLY wanted to wrestle, how could Cael have stopped him? He weighed in and was on the mat in his singlet and headgear. HE could've defied Cael and just wrestled and there would've been nothing Cael could do.

Well that's wrong - the Official and opponent are notified prior to handshake that PSU's wrestler is Forfeiting. You're full of shit that Carter could still have made his own decision and wrestled - you don't know what you're talking about. Once a team puts in a Fofeit prior to match start, the wrestler doesn't have the authority to reverse it.

• Haha
Reactions: hlstone
I thought about that, I'm kind of surprised he didn't.

That being said, if he decided to quit and not go for a fourth title because he's mad it will be a very sad ending to his career. Nobody just quits this far into the season when they're the favorite to win a title.

It will be a blemish on the University - no way someone gets this pissed-off unless they believe they were intentionally misled. Apparently several hundred supporters from Erie showed up at College Park for B1Gs (got the tickets, lodging, etc....) only to be treated to two MFFs he knew he was MFFing and told them all to come check it out [insert eyeroll].

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT