ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Recruiting Class Thread

There is legit information out there that the staff stopped pursuing Brubaker and Nelson. They showed up at camp (or refused to) and underperformed. It’s not a case of sour grapes. In fact, as an example, the top DBs on the board are about to commit. Each have been ahead of Nelson for weeks. Just because some of these kids are rated higher on a recruiting service website, doesn’t mean that the staff sees it the same way.

The LBer recruits you mentioned are being heavily pursued by PSU at the moment and most are hopeful that we close out with at least one of them.
I’ll buy the first two no problem. I’ve read all posts taking that position. But if SC boats the second two would you at least admit that perhaps young Beamer and his assistants are a threat not be ignored in the future. Virginia and more importantly the DMV are his father’s old stomping ground and that’s a very fertile area for us.

Last edited:
This is the time of year when recruiting rankings are deceptive. The schools with a low number of commitments will - obviously - will make up ground once they start filling their classes. The only thing I pay attention to right now is the school's average / recruit number. With that said, however, PSU's 247 Composite average (90.32) is outstanding and only behind OSU in the B1G. When all said and done, PSU should end up with a top 10 class which, if done yearly, should put them in the conference and NC talks
247Sports is updating their Top 247 rankings tomorrow so let’s see what happens to Penn State’s commitments.

This isn’t going to be very popular. When Brubaker signed with SC people said he slid down the board. When Nelson signed with SC once again people said he slid down the board. Now we could really use a good linebacker and SC is confident that their getting both Barnum and Carter.
Now that’s either a pretty steep and slippery board we have. Or if the Gamecocks get the other two they just might be cleaning our clocks, and nobody wants to admit it because the rest of the class is looking great. I’m definitely not an alarmist,
I may be wrong, but where there’s smoke there’s usually a fire.
I understand your point. But I suggest you picked the wrong two recruits..... IMO they either were passed over or told to wait.

This isn’t going to be very popular. When Brubaker signed with SC people said he slid down the board. When Nelson signed with SC once again people said he slid down the board. Now we could really use a good linebacker and SC is confident that their getting both Barnum and Carter.
Now that’s either a pretty steep and slippery board we have. Or if the Gamecocks get the other two they just might be cleaning our clocks, and nobody wants to admit it because the rest of the class is looking great. I’m definitely not an alarmist,
I think any prediction for either one of the two linebackers to South Carolina is premature, and largely based on a misunderstanding by South Carolina writers about their actual level of momentum in the northeast.

Reactions: bmw199

I think any prediction for either one of the two linebackers to South Carolina is premature, and largely based on a misunderstanding by South Carolina writers about their actual level of momentum in the northeast.

It's mentioned that SC was going the hardest for him. Also mentioned that he could end up at safety.

Seems like we backed off after that camp performance.

I’ll buy the first two no problem. I’ve read all posts taking that position. But if SC boats the second two would you at least admit that perhaps young Beamer and his assistants are a threat not be ignored in the future. Virginia and more importantly the DMV are his father’s old stomping ground and that’s a very fertile area for us.
I’ll be remote starting my car when I fart if SC lands both Barham and Carter

Nelson also had a rough time at the Five-Star camp in Atlanta. There's a reason he's being mentioned as a Safety.

I'd say he drops in the updated ratings as well. Not that it matters, but it might make some feel better.

Not sure why some are having a hard time accepting that the staff cooled on Nelson and then got one of their top choices at CB in Allen, and will likely get their other top choice at CB to commit later this month. If Cam Miller, or Driver or Winston commit to South Carolina we could have something to gripe about......... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Franklin and his staff won't take PA players just because they got high ratings from the "experts" and they are PA kids........

Last edited:
Whoa up there, I’ll buy the part where we backed off and found better fits for the program. But if you think SC signed players that they think won’t be potential starters in the SEC just for optics and to curry favor with recruiting services your way off base. Maybe they didn’t evaluate them as well as our staff, but their in the business of winning football games also. They think, perhaps wrongly, that those kids can contribute. A coaching staff would have to insane to recruit players to please the evaluating services analysts.
No one is saying that because (purportedly) PSU may have tapped the breaks on some recruits that it makes them poor prospects. Remember that recruiting is a two sided process. The young men need to buy in to your approach and culture and the coaching staff needs to see you as a fit in areas including but not limited to.. ability to fit in to a defined role and scheme.....as well as intangibles like how they fit into the chemistry of the program. It's in many ways a beauty contest. I prefer brunettes and you may like blondes......

Whoa up there, I’ll buy the part where we backed off and found better fits for the program. But if you think SC signed players that they think won’t be potential starters in the SEC just for optics and to curry favor with recruiting services your way off base. Maybe they didn’t evaluate them as well as our staff, but their in the business of winning football games also. They think, perhaps wrongly, that those kids can contribute. A coaching staff would have to insane to recruit players to please the evaluating services analysts.

When 2 of their highest rated recruits are top 300 kids that all the big boys backed off of, it's not meant to be a slight to them as much as it is a matter of they were the team who pushed the hardest and offered the most of the rest.

It's very similar to us getting Allen. He was supposed to be our #1 target at CB. Others reportedly cooled on him to the point our primary competition was Louisville.

And it's not like the young Beamer is known for pulling in PA recruits. Yet.

Singleton just upgraded to the #1 RB on 247.
Strange that he is the 247 #1 RB but "only" a 95 rating. It would seem that if they believe he is the #1 RB he should be a 98 or 99. 1.0 is seemingly reserved for #1 overall players.....

Whereas in the 2021 class the top 5 RB's as rated by 247 were all 96 or above.

They are saying that 2022 is a down year for RB's?

And look at WR's. 247 has Sanders at #12, with oh-high-ya having commits from 4 of the top 8 WR's.... o_O

Last edited:
Strange that he is the 247 #1 RB but "only" a 95 rating.

They are saying that 2022 is a down year for RB's.
They still have games to play this Fall.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGLOV
Singleton, Allar, and Saunders are all Top 100 recruits. Ivey, Flowers, Allen, Fearbry, Cross, and Shelton are all Top 247 recruits.

Drew Shelton dropped almost 100 spots to #227, which is surprising unless he didn't go to camps or had a tough time at IMG.
Drew did not drop. That’s where he was in 247. You’re confusing his composite with 247.

Reactions: bison13
Strange that he is the 247 #1 RB but "only" a 95 rating. It would seem that if they believe he is the #1 RB he should be a 98 or 99. 1.0 is seemingly reserved for #1 overall players.....

They are saying that 2022 is a down year for RB's.

And look at WR's. 247 has Sanders at #12, with oh-high-ya having commits from 4 of the top 8 WR's.... o_O
Apparently only the Top 10 national recruits (regardless of position) have a 247 rating above 95.

Allar moved up as well, no? I can't remember where he was ranked on 247 but he's up to #64 in country and #7 QB now. I thought he was somewhere around 90 before.
Allar is up 25 spots to 7th (composite) QB according to a 247 article.

Also of note, Fearbry is up to 197 nationally.

Last edited:
DDS dropped to 86?
Well, we know DDS was unlockable at all the camps and wowed everyone who watched with many asking themselves if he is the No. 1 DE recruit in the nation. Plus he is an extremely hard worker and a self-motivated person (and very well-spoken). Combine that with his physical gifts and you can't ask for much more.

I feel sorry for the kids and hope they have great careers where ever then end up. But it does go to show that our talent evaluators, at least in this instance, seem dead on

So the "talent evaluators" for 247, or Rivals for that matter, are the be all and end all? Makes one wonder how they got it wrong the first go round.

• Haha
Reactions: bmw199
Dani Dennis-Sutton will announce his commitment Today at 5:00 pm at McDonogh High School in Maryland. If he commits to Penn State (all CBs and FCs indicate he will as of now), then he would probably be our top-rated recruit, and a game changing recruit at DEnd.

Dani Dennis-Sutton will announce his commitment Today at 5:00 pm at McDonogh High School in Maryland. If he commits to Penn State (all CBs and FCs indicate he will as of now), then he would probably be our top-rated recruit, and a game changing recruit at DEnd.
Wait 'til Enai White changes his mind! (I can always hope. Right?)

Well, we know DDS was unlockable at all the camps and wowed everyone who watched with many asking themselves if he is the No. 1 DE recruit in the nation. Plus he is an extremely hard worker and a self-motivated person (and very well-spoken). Combine that with his physical gifts and you can't ask for much more.

Stay healthy.

Reactions: Shadow99
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT