ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Recruiting Class Thread

Keon Saab to Clemson. It’s been funny watching Michigan talking heads believe they had a shot.

Classic Sam Webb. Selling his subscribers hope that he knows damn well isn't warranted. Michigan never had a legitimate shot at Sabb. He was Clemson/SEC all the way.

But I guess when your program is headed into the shitter and recruiting has become a constant drumbeat of self-deceptive "sure, he's a 3*, but he's really a 4* or better", you need to keep subscriptions going somehow.

Yep, Nelson Jr doesn’t seem to be on PSU’s CB board, and maybe not on the PSU board at all now. Just seems a little odd for 247 to put Allen at Safety and the PSU staff to have him as their #1 CB target. But lots of differences of opinions this cycle….

Can’t have enough talented DB’s….
Allen and Cam Miller seem to have surpassed Nelson on the CB big board a while ago. Flowers and Winston will probably be the highest-level safety tandem we've signed in a really, really long time, and might end up bumping Mills down to the hybrid safety/linebacker role.

Reactions: bmw199 and TheGLOV
Allen and Cam Miller seem to have surpassed Nelson on the CB big board a while ago. Flowers and Winston will probably be the highest-level safety tandem we've signed in a really, really long time, and might end up bumping Mills down to the hybrid safety/linebacker role.
Seems like Driver could fit into the Safety mold as well.

If Driver comes on board the 2022 Fall camp could be a tryout for both Flowers and Driver to compete to be difference makers at WR, but with the potential to up the level of competition to heights previously unknown at Safety at PSU..... o_Oo_O

Last 5 in?

DDS
Driver S/WR
Safety - Winston
OL - Roye or ?
LB - Carter?

Or will it be last 6 or 7 in........

Reactions: TheGLOV

Commitment Story

10 Things to Know following Jordan Allen's Commitment

T-Frank's Film Evaluation

Meet the Commits

Junior Season Highlights

I like 3 star Allens....
For you analytic star worshiper types.
1. 17 year olds often mature physically over the next 3 years of their life
2. High School players are often playing out of the position in high school
3. They often grow into another position and out of the one they are evaluated for by the numbnut recruiting services.

3 star Marcus Allen is a great example of a 3 star that won many games by the goal line stops he made and the fumbles he caused and is now an NFL lb.

Here is a fun article... Anyone recall that Troy Drayton WR that grew into a pretty good TE.. and played in the nfl a while. Anyone remember Greg Jones? How about Guttuso? Here is a pretty good article about 3 stars and PSU.

Reactions: TheGLOV and brupsu
How about LB? The depth chart certainly indicates we need at least one more, No?
Will depend on whether a guy like Fearbry or Talley converts to LB -- particularly if/when DDS commits and solidifies the DE position. Doubt Talley moves from DE, but perhaps Fearbry?

Of the remaining LB targets, Barham is definitely the best -- but may be trending South Carolina. Shawn Murphy is a bit of a question mark, but is probably leaning SEC. Abdul Carter......is his offer even commitable? Might be, but there hasn't been a lot of buzz with him. Beyond that, not a lot of LB targets on the board. But based on the way the game is changing, I wonder if we'll see more 4-2-5 sets anyway in the years to come as the traditional LB becomes replaced by LB/S hybrid types.

How about LB? The depth chart certainly indicates we need at least one more, No?

Hmmm... 5 to go maybe 6
Safety
SDE
WR
CB
OL or WR or CB

I definitely see another LB coming into this class. Could be one of those that are regularly mentioned (Carter, Barham, Bissanthe,...), or it could be a late bloomer as the staff evaluates the 2021 Fall high school action.

Talley and Fearbry don't look like LB's to me. Getting DDS doesn't mean the class will have too many DE's, as I believe the staff wants 3 DE's in this class - DDS would be the only one likely to see significant playing time in 2022 with Talley and Fearbry likely redshirting.

My guess:
DE - DDS
LB
Safety - Winston
WR/S - Driver
OL - at least one more
CB and/or possibly another WR for the 26th or even 27th player of the class if a good one wants in....

I like 3 star Allens....
3. They often grow into another position and out of the one they are evaluated for by the numbnut recruiting services.

3 star Marcus Allen is a great example of a 3 star that won many games by the goal line stops he made and the fumbles he caused and is now an NFL lb.

Here is a fun article... Anyone recall that Troy Drayton WR that grew into a pretty good TE.. and played in the nfl a while. Anyone remember Greg Jones? How about Guttuso? Here is a pretty good article about 3 stars and PSU.

This young man had a pretty big offer sheet and cjf has a great eye for talent

Reactions: GregInPitt
But based on the way the game is changing, I wonder if we'll see more 4-2-5 sets anyway in the years to come as the traditional LB becomes replaced by LB/S hybrid types.
All the way back to '99, even with a crazy deep LB room, we played half the snaps in a 4-2-5. It's been trending that way for a long time.

Will depend on whether a guy like Fearbry or Talley converts to LB -- particularly if/when DDS commits and solidifies the DE position. Doubt Talley moves from DE, but perhaps Fearbry?

Of the remaining LB targets, Barham is definitely the best -- but may be trending South Carolina. Shawn Murphy is a bit of a question mark, but is probably leaning SEC. Abdul Carter......is his offer even commitable? Might be, but there hasn't been a lot of buzz with him. Beyond that, not a lot of LB targets on the board. But based on the way the game is changing, I wonder if we'll see more 4-2-5 sets anyway in the years to come as the traditional LB becomes replaced by LB/S hybrid types.
Regarding the LB’s, with Barham trending to SC and Murphy a ?, I’d say that Carter’s offer is most likely commitable at this point.

I like 3 star Allens....

There are some who think recruiting should be a matter of the coaching staff looking at the recruiting services rankings and chasing after those that are among the top rated there. LOL LOL LOL......"I don't understand why we are going after 3 stars so early in the process...." mentality. Throughout the process (recruiting services) rankings can go up or down......what really matters to me is where a prospect is rated by the coaches. Especially if they've had the chance to see them and or work them out in person. Another good indicator to me (although again not fool proof...see Journey Brown) is if the offer sheet looks out of sync with the stars.
Even if the services were 100% accurate, where would these people fit in character, age and growth potential, where they might fit into a particular scheme and academics.....just to name a few?

All the way back to '99, even with a crazy deep LB room, we played half the snaps in a 4-2-5. It's been trending that way for a long time.
Watch almost any college football game today and 2nd and 7 or more is nickel. Hell, a lot of defenses get in it on 1st and 10 because of one back spread.

Would like to see either Fearbry or Talley at LB. Size and speed would be awesome.

Would like to see either Fearbry or Talley at LB. Size and speed would be awesome.
Talley apparently has grown quite a bit, don't see him moving from DL. He's more likely to be a DT than a LB at this point.

Fearbry is more likely, but I love his skillset at DE and hope he can stay there. We need all the help at DE we can get.

A few days old, but didn't see this previously posted (posted in this thread since it prominently features DE commit Fearbry), but some PSU 2023 targets (such as Ta'mere Robinson and Jacob Porter (little brother to Joey Porter Jr.) are also referenced in the accompanying article):

A few days old, but didn't see this previously posted (posted in this thread since it prominently features DE commit Fearbry), but some PSU 2023 targets (such as Ta'mere Robinson and Jacob Porter (little brother to Joey Porter Jr.) are also referenced in the accompanying article):

Quick kid with long arms. Worry that when he puts on good weight he looses some of that quickness. He will need to get a lot stronger as well. We will see.

As an aside, I hate those 1 on 1 rush drills; they don't impress me. Defense knows they can just rush and not worry about a screen, a back chipping them, the line sliding to protect, or a quick QB moving out of the way. The o-lineman has almost no chance of winning the majority of those drills.

Quick kid with long arms. Worry that when he puts on good weight he looses some of that quickness. He will need to get a lot stronger as well. We will see.

As an aside, I hate those 1 on 1 rush drills; they don't impress me. Defense knows they can just rush and not worry about a screen, a back chipping them, the line sliding to protect, or a quick QB moving out of the way. The o-lineman has almost no chance of winning the majority of those drills.

You're right. It's not all that different from the QB drills during the Elite 11 and other such camps.

They're good for gauging athleticism, arm strength, speed, etc. And that's a big part of the equation. But they don't tell you much about actual in-game productivity. Sure, a DE can run a 4.5 and fly by an OL guy in a 1-on-1 drill, but does he bring it on every down? How does he cope with double teams? How well does he adjust mid-play? And so forth.

There's no substitute for actual productivity in live action.

Shawn Murphy committing on 1 August. Will be very interesting to see where he goes, as it's suspected that many of his bigger offers are not commitable.

Shawn Murphy committing on 1 August. Will be very interesting to see where he goes, as it's suspected that many of his bigger offers are not commitable.
Well, unfortunately considering the lack of a PSU visit to date, unless he is Jordan Allen Part 2 or visits within the next 2 weeks we all know one school that he WON'T be choosing. ;)🤷‍♂️

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT