ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Recruiting Class Thread

I have to laugh at all the praise being heaped on Clifford. Not long ago some of you guys were throwing him to the wolves and couldn't wait for Robinson to take the field. Now all of a sudden it sounds like he's the best QB PSU has ever had. I have never been down on Clifford. He, like all other players, has good games and not so good games. Recently, he has had many more good games. To me that is confidence in himself and people around him. The only way that happens is by playing and having success. I don't know who the QB will be next year, don't sleep on Pribula, but if it is someone other than Clifford or even if it is Clifford, I do know that the first mistake that he makes will bring calls for someone on the bench. That's what makes sports fun. Everyone can be a Monday morning QB and have all the answers.

By the way, it's been great being part of this board for about 20 years. I check it everyday and I will miss it. I have enjoyed all of the discussions about all things Penn State as well as discussions about everything else. What a great place to get advice on everything from music to stock picks and of course all the polls of music and young ladies. I hope that all of you and your families are happy and well and continue to stay that way. All the best to each of you. WE ARE!!
Interesting what makes people laugh.

It's not a newsflash that when QB's play poorly teams don't usually win games. And last season's 0-5 start was greatly influenced by poor QB play. When QB's play well they get praise. When they play poorly they get blame. Pretty simple.

We know that Clifford is not the best QB PSU ever had. But after playing well and leading PSU to 11 wins in 2019 he was playing like one of the worst QB's PSU ever had at the start of 2020, which seemed like a significant underachievement after he led PSU to 11 wins in 2019. So naturally PSU fans wanted better QB play - whether it was Roberson or some other unknown getting a chance, or a dramatic improvement in Clifford. That does not mean fans were rooting against Clifford.

And it's not like Clifford didn't make MANY, MANY mistakes in 2020. So I don't buy the "fans turn on a QB with the first mistake" observation.

The anticipation of stars emerging from the incoming players is one of the significant parts of college football that make it special. So it sure is a plus when PSU has incoming QB's such as Allar and Pribula, but all most fans want from their team is for their coaches to put a competent QB on the field and if Clifford returns all the better - Allar and Pribula would be that much more confident going into the competition to start in 2023..........

Last edited:
I know we were never really in it, but 5 star OL Zach Rice to UNC. Recruits really seem to be buying what Mack Brown is selling, despite the on the field results. Looks like UNC is picking up the slack recruiting in Virginia from Tech, UVA and to a lesser degree us.

Last edited:
I know we were never really in it, but 5 star OL Zach Rice to UNC. Recruits really seem to be buying what Mack Brown is selling, despite the on the field results. Looks like UNC is picking up the slack recruiting in Virginia from Tech, UVA and a lesser degree us.
Mac left Texas in 2013. In 2010-2012 Texas had 3rd, 3rd, 2nd best classes in the country and could get shit done on the field. We'll see if that changes over the next few years.

I know we were never really in it, but 5 star OL Zach Rice to UNC. Recruits really seem to be buying what Mack Brown is selling, despite the on the field results. Looks like UNC is picking up the slack recruiting in Virginia from Tech, UVA and a lesser degree us.

He's hurting Clemson the most. UVA hasn't pulled in these kids very often, if ever, on a regular basis. VT did OK for a few years, but FSU used to get quite a few of the VA kids on the high end they wanted.

PSU does well there, but we don't get every kid either. Poindexter should help going forward though. Already 2 VA commits in '23. 2 of the top 4.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Mack has always been a great recruiter, but he's going to have to win some games soon enough or it'll fall back to the UNC norm. I think most assume Howell to go pro after this season, so they might be in for another rough season in '22. With both Clemson and UNC struggling this season, we might be able to make another move into the southern portion of the mid Atlantic in the '23 cycle.

Reactions: bison13
Seems that with the decommitment of Jordan Allen, this class really does need another CB. Only 2 in the 2021 class, with obviously King being a future starter. And only 1 in the 2020 class, Joseph Johnson. Haven't seen any names mentioned at CB in some time................................

Meanwhile, back on page 11 is the 2022 recruiting thread. Maybe the visitors this weekend will resurrect it for a while.

If Franklin is going to be the next head coach of USC, then he’s about to lose his top committed recruit (Domani Jackson) to Alabama after Wiltfong put in a CB for Jackson to flip to Alabama today.

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
If Franklin is going to be the next head coach of USC, then he’s about to lose his top committed recruit (Domani Jackson) to Alabama after Wiltfong put in a CB for Jackson to flip to Alabama today.
SoCal will not hire James...

Tucker is what you call a damn good coach. MSU was terrible last year and the one year turnaround is amazing. MSU also does not light it up when it comes to recruiting so clearly Tucker is coaching his players up and getting the team as a whole to buy into his system.
They had 42 transfers. I doubt it was all Tucker’s coaching them up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT