ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Recruiting Class Thread

Four CB's this morning for Rooks to UM. Three from UM insiders, and also Dohn.

Not a good sign............. :oops:
Rooks was not coming to Penn State. It was reported a couple of months ago that his parents did not like Penn State's academics, and when interest in Michigan faded, the parents pushed him to Boston College. Sounds like Michigan has made a late surge here.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Apke played as a freshman and ZW is 10 lbs bigger. Was apke too small?

i must have missed apke playing as a freshman, sorry bout that. I actually thought he was a WR as a true freshamn.

Look, I value your opinion on him. I am sure you see something I don't. I am much higher on the tape of Rudolph and Jennings and they have yet to see the field.

I hope you are right as anytime I am wrong the team is a better team.

Apke didn't start until Jr-Sr year and Nick Scott was a RB for about 3 years. Remember, the original comments that were back and forth had someone saying ZW was going to be ready year 1-2.

No, the original comments were that it would be great if PSU could have a Safety such as ZW come in get on the field at Safety in their 1st or 2nd year, because of the current lack of candidates on the PSU roster to excel at Safety. Not that ZW was some kind of sure thing to do that. How would anyone here know that?

And then you took it from there to create the "back and forth".

Any contribution early in their PSU careers, which we all know is more likely to be special teams, will put an incoming Safety prospect such as ZW on the path to get on the field on defense. Bottom line is PSU needs players at Safety, and as fans we have to hope that ZW and Jaylen Reed get on a path to get on the field.

Last edited:
He's retiring as coach and staying on as athletic director. And the new coach is.......his son.
Does anyone have any firsthand knowledge as to why a program like Saint Peters and their coach would not send kids to Penn State? Or is this just some rationale that people throw out because those kids always seem to pick somebody else?

Reactions: cjrugger
Anyone think the Starting WR next year could go: Dotson, Washington, and Lonnie White?

Franklin is quoted as saying White could be "PSU's version of Deion Sanders" as far as athletics go.

Sounds like we're going to have to wait and see what his baseball draft stock looks like before we know if he's planning on being a PSU football player.

Does anyone have any firsthand knowledge as to why a program like Saint Peters and their coach would not send kids to Penn State? Or is this just some rationale that people throw out because those kids always seem to pick somebody else?

I don't know but it's really beginning to worry me that Scott keeps missing on DL recruits.

Reactions: ChandlerPearce
Spencer was a much bigger loss than what most of us could have imagined. I thought he would have been a college lifer. Anyway, I think Scott can coach but his recruiting chops haven't shown yet.

Reactions: ftlpsu
I don't know but it's really beginning to worry me that Scott keeps missing on DL recruits.

In fairness, he's looking pretty good for the 2022 class. Talley in the fold with Dennis-Sutton looking positive.

The 2021 class was certainly not ideal on the DL, that's for sure. Not that they're our near-peer, but look at what OSU is getting. We really need Larry Johnson to retire.

In fairness, he's looking pretty good for the 2022 class. Talley in the fold with Dennis-Sutton looking positive.

The 2021 class was certainly not ideal on the DL, that's for sure. Not that they're our near-peer, but look at what OSU is getting. We really need Larry Johnson to retire.
We don't offer the $ame thing Ohio $t does. We aren't going to get the recruit$ that are a$king for what they offer.

We don't offer the $ame thing Ohio $t does. We aren't going to get the recruit$ that are a$king for what they offer.

Well, there's that whole "Larry Johnson is the best DL coach in the business" thing, as PSU fans know as well as anybody.

(also forget Kwan Williams in 2022 as a DL prospect that we appear to be well positioned to land. I suspect Scott will make up some ground in the next class)

Reactions: grinagrin
Spencer was a much bigger loss than what most of us could have imagined. I thought he would have been a college lifer. Anyway, I think Scott can coach but his recruiting chops haven't shown yet.
PSU missed out on many DL prospects while Spencer was here. Let’s not do revisionist history. We’ve been asking for years why Dline seems to be the hardest position to recruit for psu. Do we even know if Scott was the primary recruiter for some of these guys?

Reactions: PSU_Chicago
Jordan Moseley's 60 meter times cluster around 7 flat. For reference sake, Journey Brown's PR was 6.87. This kid has plenty of speed. I would guess mid to low 4.4 in the forty. Of course, if Journey had grown up in Alabama, he would have run a 6.67....

Jordan Moseley's 60 meter times cluster around 7 flat. For reference sake, Journey Brown's PR was 6.87. This kid has plenty of speed. I would guess mid to low 4.4 in the forty. Of course, if Journey had grown up in Alabama, he would have run a 6.67....

Because even the stop watches move more slowly in the south?

I'm leaning toward pass. White is obviously the question mark, but two starters are freshman, you took 8 in 20 & 21 combined, and have 3 committed for '22 with lots of good options left that are better players right now than Mosley. You could be looking for him to portal as quickly as he came in if Clemons, Greene, Morris, or Mbake want to jump on board.

Reactions: TheWizardofCamelot
I'm leaning toward pass. White is obviously the question mark, but two starters are freshman, you took 8 in 20 & 21 combined, and have 3 committed for '22 with lots of good options left that are better players right now than Mosley. You could be looking for him to portal as quickly as he came in if Clemons, Greene, Morris, or Mbake want to jump on board.

yes, pass. We have enough Cam sullivan Browns on the team. we need more dotsons and washington, not CSB's and Georges.

Out of curiosity, have you watched his video highlights? He isn't just fast. He plays explosively.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Out of curiosity, have you watched his video highlights? He isn't just fast. He plays explosively.

I watched his "highlights" and was not as impressed as you seem to be. He didn't really explode through defenders for long gains as often as I would have expected in a highlight film. And there were many "highlights" where he just made a simple catch for a couple of yards and was tackled.

And I compare that with the H.S. highlights for our current CB Hardy. Hardy seemed to have as many true highlights during his senior year playoffs for Penn Hills against large school playoff teams as were put together for the highlights for Mosley's entire H.S. career.

Maybe CJF is trying to get him as a Safety. Somewhat light, but at 6' he could fill out..... As a WR, I don't see him as an explosive B10 player.

Last edited:
Reactions: 81b&w
I did. If he doesn’t run by them initially then that’s the end of play. He does have some nice cuts in his routes but nothing after the catch and his situational awareness was lacking. By that I mean, he misses cuts to space with the ball in his hands, cuts short of the marker to gain on third down, and gives up too much ground before a break (that last one isn’t totally his fault). He’s explosive when he’s wide open.

He had 31 catches. Parker Washington had 54 his sr year. Jahan Dotson had 66 his JR year. Daniel George had 61 catches his sr year. Lambert-Smith 60. Mosley’s numbers resemble Meiga’s numbers but he doesn’t have his size or athleticism.

Reactions: 81b&w

Davon Townley is announcing in an hour. Choosing between PSU, Nebraska and Washington. Somehow, the only crystal ball is a '1 confidence' to ASU. Is he the first kid in history to not leak his choice? How is this possible

Reactions: bison13
I'm tired of hearing all this BS about how hard it is to recruit DT's.

We are just not getting it done. Period.

NO more excuses. Excuses are like "CHINS" in a Chinese phone book.

Michigan flips 2021 four-star DT Rayshaun Benny from MSU (msn.com)

I get the frustration from a general recruiting viewpoint - but DT is not an area I'm particularly concerned with? If we took a DT this cycle, it was only going to be one and we were going to be picky. Since '18:

4* Mustipher
4* Ellies
4* Beamon
4* Brevard
4* Izzard

Not to mention a handful of 3*s: Vanover, Darkwa, Hawkins, Culpepper. We actually have a bit of a logjam at the position, with Culpepper already transferring out with more probable in the future.

Townley + McGraw is a pretty athletic duo at DE. I know Scott struggled a bit this cycle because of covid/relationships, but that's a pretty solid pull given the circumstances. Not sure either of those guys will be ready right away, but with some development, they have pretty high ceilings to look forward to later in their careers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT