ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Recruiting Class Thread

Townley + McGraw is a pretty athletic duo at DE. I know Scott struggled a bit this cycle because of covid/relationships, but that's a pretty solid pull given the circumstances. Not sure either of those guys will be ready right away, but with some development, they have pretty high ceilings to look forward to later in their careers.

Most here don't believe either of these DE's will be ready to help at all in 2021. And who really knows at this point. But with Townley listed at 6'6" 220 and McGraw listed at 6'5" 255, from a point of view of hoping that one may be ready for some snaps in 2021 to develop and contribute to the numbers it takes at DE to keep players fresh and spell players that get minor injuries it's good that McGraw seemingly being further physically developed enrolled early and may have a chance to develop his body enough to be physically near ready by next Fall.

Townley on the other hand only started playing football as a Junior in H.S. and seems slimmer and more of a little longer term project to be ready, although his athletic ability is reportedly excellent and in the longer term he looks to have a high ceiling as a DE.....

But at least the staff got 2 quality DE's at a position of need.

Most here don't believe either of these DE's will be ready to help at all in 2021. And who really knows at this point. But with Townley listed at 6'6" 220 and McGraw listed at 6'5" 255, from a point of view of hoping that one may be ready for some snaps in 2021 to develop and contribute to the numbers it takes at DE to keep players fresh and spell players that get minor injuries it's good that McGraw seemingly being further physically developed enrolled early and may have a chance to develop his body enough to be physically near ready by next Fall.

Townley on the other hand only started playing football as a Junior in H.S. and seems slimmer and more of a little longer term project to be ready, although his athletic ability is reportedly excellent and in the longer term he looks to have a high ceiling as a DE.....

But at least the staff got 2 quality DE's at a position of need.
PSU lists McGraw at 230

Reactions: grinagrin
Are we expecting anyone else? If not, let's put a bow on 2021. I think this is CJF's lowest rated recruiting class (since he took over in 2014). Some numbers...(using 247s composite scores/rankings):

Penn State - 216.43 Score, 6th in Big Ten; 6 x 4* Recruits, 10 x 3* Recruits - Recruit Avg. 89.07 (would be good for 4th in B1G).

According to 247 Sports, their 25 composite 5* recruits went to only 6 schools.

Really excited by Tengwell and White. I think they'll see the field early. Also like the two safety prospects - Wheatley and Reed - would be nice to have that position settled for the next few years. Getting Brisker back was huge. I don't see a lot of other immediate contributors but maybe down the road. I think if Harbaugh gets his sh*t together soon we're going to be back to a two game season, noting Maryland, Nebraska, and Wisconsin all had better classes (on paper) than PSU this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ranger Dan
If you look at 247 Composite, there were 34 5* that went to the following teams:

Alabama - 7
OSU - 6 (assuming they get Tuimoloau)
UGA - 4
Clemson - 3
Miami - 2
LSU - 2
Florida - 1
UNC - 1
USC - 1
Oklahoma - 1
Texas - 1
Maryland (!?) - 1
Washington - 1
Wisconsin - 1
Michigan - 1
A&M - 1

Disappointing that PSU couldn't hit on any of those, but 70% of of the 5* going to 6 teams is clearly showing the rich are getting richer (Miami being the outlier of that group).

Not sure what happened with Maryland's lone 5*, he is a linebacker from Miami so a curious choice. They also hit on a high 4* DE from Maryland, so Locksley doing something right in recruiting.

Michigan's 5* is the QB, so we know that won't count in the end ;)

Reactions: gslachta
Are we expecting anyone else? If not, let's put a bow on 2021. I think this is CJF's lowest rated recruiting class (since he took over in 2014). Some numbers...(using 247s composite scores/rankings):

Penn State - 216.43 Score, 6th in Big Ten; 6 x 4* Recruits, 10 x 3* Recruits - Recruit Avg. 89.07 (would be good for 4th in B1G).

According to 247 Sports, their 25 composite 5* recruits went to only 6 schools.

Really excited by Tengwell and Smith. I think they'll see the field early. Also like the two safety prospects - Wheatley and Reed - would be nice to have that position settled for the next few years. Getting Brisker back was huge. I don't see a lot of other immediate contributors but maybe down the road. I think if Harbaugh gets his sh*t together soon we're going to be back to a two game season, noting Maryland, Nebraska, and Wisconsin all had better classes (on paper) than PSU this year.
It doesn’t sound like there will be anyone else in the 2021 recruiting class. I am excited about Tengwall, Reed, and Wheatley. A few commits are projects. I doubt we will ever see White suit up based on where some baseball experts/websites are projecting him to be drafted in the upcoming MLB draft. The coaching turnover along with the staff’s struggles to recruit in the spring/early summer really hurt this recruiting class.

Reactions: Midnighter2
If you look at 247 Composite, there were 34 5* that went to the following teams:

Alabama - 7
UGA - 4
Clemson - 3
Miami - 2
LSU - 2
Florida - 1
UNC - 1
USC - 1
Oklahoma - 1
Texas - 1
Maryland (!?) - 1
Washington - 1
Wisconsin - 1
Michigan - 1
A&M - 1

Disappointing that PSU couldn't hit on any of those, but 70% of of the 5* going to 6 teams is clearly showing the rich are getting richer (Miami being the outlier of that group).

Not sure what happened with Maryland's lone 5*, he is a linebacker from Miami so a curious choice. They also hit on a high 4* DE from Maryland, so Locksley doing something right in recruiting.

Heard the Maryland LB commit did not have a lot of options and is a 'we'll believe it when we see it' when he suits up kind of player.

It doesn’t sound like there will be anyone else in the 2021 recruiting class. I am excited about Tengwall, Reed, and Wheatley. A few commits are projects. I doubt we will ever see White suit up based on where some baseball experts/websites are projecting him to be drafted in the upcoming MLB draft. The coaching turnover along with the staff’s struggles to recruit in the spring/early summer really hurt this recruiting class.

Right - meant White; not Smith. Hope he decides to give football a go.

Alabama - 7
UGA - 4
Clemson - 3
Miami - 2
LSU - 2
Florida - 1
UNC - 1
USC - 1
Oklahoma - 1
Texas - 1
Maryland (!?) - 1
Washington - 1
Wisconsin - 1
Michigan - 1
A&M - 1

The 5 Star LB in Maryland’s class had nowhere else to go. He has a lot of character issues and he assaulted a female teacher at his high school. At the end of the day, Maryland was the only school that would accept his commitment and NLI. A friend of mine is a Maryland alum and football follower and he predicts this 5 Star LB will be in the portal within a year.

Reactions: bmw199 and bison13
Watching the 247 Signing Day Show - Wilfong said after adjusting for small class size, PSU has the third best class in the BIG.

This class doesn't get us into the "elite" category, but it certainly doesn't drop us a tier.

It's SOP I think for the most part, noting we're usually #2. The small class size hurts our overall ranking but our 'average recruit ranking' puts us up a few spots as well. Again, the misses are the story - Rucci at the top of the list.

Reactions: ftlpsu
I get the frustration from a general recruiting viewpoint - but DT is not an area I'm particularly concerned with? If we took a DT this cycle, it was only going to be one and we were going to be picky. Since '18:

4* Mustipher
4* Ellies
4* Beamon
4* Brevard
4* Izzard

Not to mention a handful of 3*s: Vanover, Darkwa, Hawkins, Culpepper. We actually have a bit of a logjam at the position, with Culpepper already transferring out with more probable in the future.
You must be satisfied with the recent status quo of out DL performance

Reactions: Midnighter2
Well time to move along to 22 thread and catch up on all 21 pages. My limited brain capacity can only handle keeping names straight for one class at a time. While not perfect, kudos to all in that the 21 thread did not have nearly as many transgressions(bickering) as in prior year threads. Based on the great 22 start, expecting and hoping for lots of enlightening and positive info. Catch y'all on the other side!!!

Anyone had an idea on what happened with the WR Mosley that there was talk of coming to PSU? i.e. was the PSU interest legit for a commit from him or was he a backup in case Townley didn't decide on PSU. Looks like he signed with Northwestern so if he was legit we will see him on the field.....

Anyone had an idea on what happened with the WR Mosley that there was talk of coming to PSU? i.e. was the PSU interest legit for a commit from him or was he a backup in case Townley didn't decide on PSU. Looks like he signed with Northwestern so if he was legit we will see him on the field.....

I've seen a couple of different things mentioned on Mosley's recruitment over the past couple of weeks, such as Penn State ultimately did not have enough room in the recruiting class, to Northwestern simply out-recruited us for him. He decommitted from Tennessee in mid-January so there wasn't a lot of time to recruit and develop the meaningful relationships.

Reactions: GregInPitt
I've seen a couple of different things mentioned on Mosley's recruitment over the past couple of weeks, such as Penn State ultimately did not have enough room in the recruiting class, to Northwestern simply out-recruited us for him. He decommitted from Tennessee in mid-January so there wasn't a lot of time to recruit and develop the meaningful relationships.

@PSULionsDub reply is a collection of rumors.

The facts: Last week, Mosley decided that he wanted to accept PSU's offer. However, it wasn't a commitable offer. PSU was made aware of Mosley's decision. They met as a staff to consider whether to make his offer commitable, and there was serious discussion about doing so. In the end, the coaching staff opted to not change the status of his offer, and so Mosley turned to NW, and verballed to them.

PSU had built a meaningful relationship with Mosley, and NW did not out-recruit PSU. PSU does not comment on their recruiting decisions, and I wouldn't disclose why they opted to not make Mosley's offer commitable even if I knew the reason.

The portal has added a new dynamic to recruiting. Given the recent transfers to Penn State, I feel better about the incoming players than what I thought 60 days ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: bmw199 and bdgan
Some reason I today I looked at rival's 250. Wow on the surface we are way way behind. Do stars /rankings matter ? If so we were fully owned Alabma, Georgia, Clemson, OSU of course , Michigan (WTF) , and quite a few others. I knew we wouldn't be at THAT level but the numbers to those schools really shows the disparity . Is that the state of state or is CJF the master of evaluation? Hmmmmm

Reactions: TheGLOV
Some reason I today I looked at rival's 250. Wow on the surface we are way way behind. Do stars /rankings matter ? If so we were fully owned Alabma, Georgia, Clemson, OSU of course , Michigan (WTF) , and quite a few others. I knew we wouldn't be at THAT level but the numbers to those schools really shows the disparity . Is that the state of state or is CJF the master of evaluation? Hmmmmm
Bad year all the way around, in recruiting and on the field. Judging by 2022 so far. It seems like a mere slip up. Seeing the old recruiting coordinator, Kenny Saunders, back after pulling him out of Oregon where he was for 1 year, seems like a great move.

Have you been hiding under a rock for the past 3 months? Or maybe just lost in the sauce on the testicle board? The 2021 class has been signed and delivered for months.

Reactions: 1PSU1
Bad year all the way around, in recruiting and on the field. Judging by 2022 so far. It seems like a mere slip up. Seeing the old recruiting coordinator, Kenny Rodgers, back after pulling him out of Oregon where he was for 1 year, seems like a great move.
Kenny Rodgers is dead. Kenny Saunders was re-hired. Our Small class size affected the ranking as did a few misses. 2022 looks very good. Relax.

• Haha
Reactions: PearlSUJam
Kenny Rodgers is dead. Kenny Saunders was re-hired. Our Small class size affected the ranking as did a few misses. 2022 looks very good. Relax.
Damn autocorrect, ill edit my post, but yeah that was my point, I think 2021 was a one off.

So what' this Drew Shelton 'official' visit BS?

Oh, didn't he proclaim his firm commitment to PSU??
Committed kids can take official visits to their committed school. It just determines what interaction they can have with the coaching staff, what they can participate in, etc. I understand the wording is a bit irksome, and yes, he probably will take other “official” visits elsewhere, but when many of these recruits haven’t visited ANY campuses, they’re going to take what they can get. Would you rather it be an unofficial visit and the coaching staff pretty much ignore him?

Committed kids can take official visits to their committed school. It just determines what interaction they can have with the coaching staff, what they can participate in, etc. I understand the wording is a bit irksome, and yes, he probably will take other “official” visits elsewhere, but when many of these recruits haven’t visited ANY campuses, they’re going to take what they can get. Would you rather it be an unofficial visit and the coaching staff pretty much ignore him?

I do understand fully what you just said.

However, I was only referencing what HE said.

Irksome to say the least.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT