ADVERTISEMENT

My biggest disappointment with the 2024 recruiting class.

19333lion

Jan 30, 2016
We nabbed a couple inside LBers and no one who clearly plays on the outside. We missed on a couple of prospects that seemed tailor made for Manny Diaz, Jamonta Waller, who was a longshot that seemed very interested in us and Chris Cole and Elijah Newby, both of who look like LBers in the recent PSU mold. At least one of them appeared to be a sure thing and the other sure showed a lot of interest.

Can't have everything...yet.

Early signers are in mid-december. by then, lots of coaches will be fired and change jobs. Plus, the portal works.

wizard-of-oz-the-wicked-witch.gif

Reactions: Marylovesthelions
We nabbed a couple inside LBers and no one who clearly plays on the outside. We missed on a couple of prospects that seemed tailor made for Manny Diaz, Jamonta Waller, who was a longshot that seemed very interested in us and Chris Cole and Elijah Newby, both of who look like LBers in the recent PSU mold. At least one of them appeared to be a sure thing and the other sure showed a lot of interest.

The portal changes everything. Players pick a school, discover they'd be better off at PSU, so they come after spending a year training and developing at some other school's expense. Chop Robinson might be the future. If PSU ends up short of linebackers, word will get out and people will transfer in because everybody knows what playing LB at Penn State means in terms of an NFL career.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Rojas and Keys just came in the previous class. Cole would have been a great pull, but it's hard to beat UGA right now on the 'cruiting trail.

I don't think the class is finished by any means. Mike was a more important need in this class as well. We have safety prospects who could be Sam's as well.

DT is the bigger miss IMO as it would be great to get a kid who might be ready by year 2. But...I want all the good ones.

Rojas and Keys just came in the previous class. Cole would have been a great pull, but it's hard to beat UGA right now on the 'cruiting trail.

I don't think the class is finished by any means. Mike was a more important need in this class as well. We have safety prospects who could be Sam's as well.

DT is the bigger miss IMO as it would be great to get a kid who might be ready by year 2. But...I want all the good ones.
Newby can really run and Waller is just off the charts. I would have been happy with any of the three. Still hoping for a FL collapse....

Reactions: lazydave841
This class, NIL COST US Waller and probably Cole. Nothing the staff could do about that. Waller was coming here before he visited UGA and the Brinks truck pulled up.

Reactions: 19333lion
There is only so much NIL money to go around. If we would have paid for Jamonta Waller, how many 4-star recruits would we have lost? I trust the staff in balancing NIL money and finding good value for the players we were able to give NIL money to.

There is only so much NIL money to go around. If we would have paid for Jamonta Waller, how many 4-star recruits would we have lost? I trust the staff in balancing NIL money and finding good value for the players we were able to give NIL money to.
We have the largest alum group in America. I visited one of 2 suites owned by a college friend about 15 years ago. It is hard to believe that we can't find enough deep, willing pockets to out spend small alum schools like SMU, USC and Miami or anyone.

We have the largest alum group in America. I visited one of 2 suites owned by a college friend about 15 years ago. It is hard to believe that we can't find enough deep, willing pockets to out spend small alum schools like SMU, USC and Miami or anyone.
Aren't those schools behind psu in recruiting ?

Aren't those schools behind psu in recruiting ?
I read where sone alum recently kicked $70 million to SMU NIL. It could be a false flag but if true, it could make them a player. The rich oil guy who bankrolled Oklahoma State died a few years ago or they eould have no nil limit.

I read where sone alum recently kicked $70 million to SMU NIL. It could be a false flag but if true, it could make them a player. The rich oil guy who bankrolled Oklahoma State died a few years ago or they eould have no nil limit.
That's the only way the smaller, private, traditionally more academically difficult schools will compete in the new landscape.

And even with that kind of $, they still may opt for their own league b/c the genuine combo of Student+Athlete may become obselete.

They will when PSU beats O$U and or scUM. Pure and simple. The check books open when you beat big time opponents. Unfortunately, Franklion does have that history.

1. This class is not complete.

2. According to the podcasts Kari Jackson can probably play OLB.

3. There are two other players in this class that could end up at LB. Q. Martin is listed as an athlete/ S by two recruiting services. Many expected him to be a LB. Lane is 6'3 200lbs as a HS junior. Do you think he is sticking at safety?

Wife is SMU alum from the Pony Express days. SMU will be a player now that they are back in a Power 5 conference. Heck they have an alum who indicated that he would make up the lost revenue when they agreed to take no TV money yo be part of the ACC. When asked about it, “what’s a couple hundred million”!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT