ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Recruiting Class Thread

Anyone want to take a shot at comparisons for Deshun Murrell?

He's a really interesting RB prospect, because this staff really excels at developing the position. Hoping to get a homerun threat to go with the current styles currently on the roster. His tape reminds me a tad of Etienne in the way he sees space and hits it quickly. Seems to run really low which helps him with balance and stability.
Tarik Cohen.

Murrell may have been getting spooked by the Chip Kelly rumors. And UCLA's AD just gave him the vote of confidence last night. For another year, I guess. Can't imagine Chip is around in Westwood much longer than that.

Reactions: TheGLOV
BOOM ! Are you kidding me ? JJ McCarthy and Donovan Edwards in the same UM backfield for the next 3 years. The rest of the B1G has to be shaking. "Who has it better than us" ? Go Jim, Go Blue ! Let the 2021 Revenge Tour begin !

I'll be honest, not super impressed with Edwards' 2020 highlight film. I would not describe his running style as smooth. He looks a little careless with arms/holding football and some showboating that is undisciplined. He looks good in open space and has breakaway speed but not top end speed. I see no wiggle or north/south toughness. Could be a solid back but striking fear..no. I saw same thing with Devyn Ford when we recruited him. Temper expectations.

I'll be honest, not super impressed with Edwards' 2020 highlight film. I would not describe his running style as smooth. He looks a little careless with arms/holding football and some showboating that is undisciplined. He looks good in open space and has breakaway speed but not top end speed. I see no wiggle or north/south toughness. Could be a solid back but striking fear..no. I saw same thing with Devyn Ford when we recruited him. Temper expectations.
Yeah, saw him struggling earlier in the season.

Rb Hargrove up next.

It's going to sound like sour grapes, but Hargrove's highlight tape is much more impressive to me (caveat being I have no idea what their level of competition is between the 2). Shows the quickness and top end speed that is needed. Murrell looked a bit slow for his size

It's going to sound like sour grapes, but Hargrove's highlight tape is much more impressive to me (caveat being I have no idea what their level of competition is between the 2). Shows the quickness and top end speed that is needed. Murrell looked a bit slow for his size

He looks like the big play threat that the room might be lacking at this point. 247 also lists "pass catching" as a strength which we don't have much of right now.

Reactions: cjrugger
I'm really surprised that the staff did not get another olinemen in this class. Just 2.

Were there really no takers left that were talented enough to bring in, or could it be that the 5 in the 2020 class have really impressed during Fall and this season's practices?

I'm really surprised that the staff did not get another olinemen in this class. Just 2.

Were there really no takers left that were talented enough to bring in, or could it be that the 5 in the 2020 class have really impressed during Fall and this season's practices?

I think we got left at the altar a bunch this cycle - between last cycle's haul and the staff/Traut's perceived momentum with '22 OL prospects, they didn't get too aggressive once we got into the fall.

He looks like the big play threat that the room might be lacking at this point. 247 also lists "pass catching" as a strength which we don't have much of right now.

How did you determine that we don't have any RB's with pass catching strength? The only time I seen Clifford throw to a RB was on a designed pass (maybe 2 times per game at the most)and I dont remember any catchable passes being dropped. What I did see the entire year was our RBs standing wide open in the flat or across the middle without a defender within 10 yards of them but Clifford deciding to throw into triple coverage or run with the ball.

If I were a 4 star recruit I would not chose Penn State as my destination under our current Offensive Coordinator. After all, our QBs had thier number called more times than our RBs on designed runs.

Reactions: PSU Soupy
How did you determine that we don't have any RB's with pass catching strength? The only time I seen Clifford throw to a RB was on a designed pass (maybe 2 times per game at the most)and I dont remember any catchable passes being dropped. What I did see the entire year was our RBs standing wide open in the flat or across the middle without a defender within 10 yards of them but Clifford deciding to throw into triple coverage or run with the ball.

If I were a 4 star recruit I would not chose Penn State as my destination under our current Offensive Coordinator. After all, our QBs had thier number called more times than our RBs on designed runs.

This is a really terrible post. How did you determine that we DO have great pass catching RBs? Seems like the point of your post was to get in an unnecessary jab at KC.

Anyone watching this past season, could easily tell two things:
  1. Clifford/Levis have major limitations, leaving our OC with a lack of options. By the end of the season, the offense could not have been more simplified to make up for the struggles at QB.
  2. We have some emerging young stars despite #1
You wouldn't attend PSU as a 4* recruit? Then get off this board. What about K. Lee? Dotson/Lambert/Washington? Strange and Lambert? All young 4* talent that look like they're going to have strong careers. You would tell them they didn't have successful seasons?

And you're already jumping off the RBU bandwagon. If anything, we should all trust Franklin and Seider when developing RBs. Barkley, Sanders, Brown, Cain, and now Lee.

GTFO with that sh*t.

Reactions: bmw199

3 was the max they were taking, with the numbers with which they are working.

They like what they have signed -- would just like 1 more OT. They have the guy in TX, and they reoffered a prospect last night.

Reactions: GregInPitt
This is a really terrible post. How did you determine that we DO have great pass catching RBs? Seems like the point of your post was to get in an unnecessary jab at KC.

Anyone watching this past season, could easily tell two things:
  1. Clifford/Levis have major limitations, leaving our OC with a lack of options. By the end of the season, the offense could not have been more simplified to make up for the struggles at QB.
  2. We have some emerging young stars despite #1
You wouldn't attend PSU as a 4* recruit? Then get off this board. What about K. Lee? Dotson/Lambert/Washington? Strange and Lambert? All young 4* talent that look like they're going to have strong careers. You would tell them they didn't have successful seasons?

And you're already jumping off the RBU bandwagon. If anything, we should all trust Franklin and Seider when developing RBs. Barkley, Sanders, Brown, Cain, and now Lee.

GTFO with that sh*t.

I agree Clifford/Levis have major limitations and elite QB recruits aren't going to be knocking on our door to be utilized as RBs any time soon.

I determined they CAN catch the ball by watching them NOT drop any when it was thrown thier way.

My post was supposed to say 4* RB recruit. When your running game utilizes your QB more than your 220 pound RB there is something wrong with its design.

I really like our 4* WRs and am not jumping off of the RB bandwagon and like the way that Seider develops them. I hate the way we utilize them. I am actually sticking up for our RBs.

If you were a RB recruit would you honestly be excited to come to this offense to be utilized like we utilized our RBs this year?

If you were a top QB recruit would you be excited to come to this offense and be a glorified RB?

Last edited:
I agree Clifford/Levis have major limitations and elite QB recruits aren't going to be knocking on our door to be utilized as RBs any time soon.

I determined they CAN catch the ball by watching them NOT drop any when it was thrown thier way.

My post was supposed to say 4* RB recruit. When your running game utilizes your QB more than your 220 pound RB there is something wrong with its design.

I really like our 4* WRs and am not jumping off of the RB bandwagon and like the way that Seider develops them. I hate the way we utilize them. I am actually sticking up for our RBs.

If you were a RB recruit would you honestly be excited to come to this offense to be utilized like we utilized our RBs this year?

If you were a top QB recruit would you be excited to come to this offense and be a glorified RB?
You’re in the wrong thread

This is the kid I mentioned above. Disregard what it says in the Rivals database -- PSU likes him as an OT.

I hope you're right about our WRs. I'd like to see more separation and ability to win the 50/50 balls. I'd like to see one with a little more height.

PSU put Barkey & Sanders into the NFL so yes, I think RBs would be excited to play for PSU. Remember, this year's RBs were true freshmen. Too bad about Journey. Hopefully Cain returns but he and Lee are similar. I wouldn't mind seeing a speedster in the mix.

I think QBs look at the depth chart because only one of them gets to play. I'm not sure if they would be turned off by the play calling.

That won't be till February now. He visited last week, but still didn't pull the trigger. I'd say that doesn't play well for us, but who knows for sure.
On the 247 podcast, Fitz made it sound like Rooks wants to go to PSU but his family would rather see him at BC. So who knows how that ends up

He could announce at any point now, but cant sign until February

Didnt the first 3 RBs get hurt?

Didnt the first 3 RBs get hurt?
5* Slade transferred. He might wish he would have stayed.
Brown is done due to heart condition
Cain was injured. I hope he can come back in the fall.
Ford was injured. I assume he'll be back.
Lee looked great.
Homes looked good.

So assuming Ford & Cain return we'll have 4 quality RBs. It might be nice to have a speedster but this position is the least of our problems. If everybody come back healthy I'd like to see Ford as a slot receiver.

Ford needs to be the speed runner next year. Start going north and south instead of east and west.

PSU with not much of a finish going into the first signing day, and just a few 3/4 star players in play it seems for the late signing day.

Oh-high-ya getting CB's for J. Singletary, the #5 CB in the country, #2 player in FL, #10 player in the country, rated at .9921 . On top of the #2 class in the country, 21 players with an average player rating of .9456

Not exactly making up any ground on Oh-high-ya...... :(:(:(:(

Last edited:
Reactions: MacNit07
5* Slade transferred. He might wish he would have stayed.
Brown is done due to heart condition
Cain was injured. I hope he can come back in the fall.
Ford was injured. I assume he'll be back.
Lee looked great.
Homes looked good.

So assuming Ford & Cain return we'll have 4 quality RBs. It might be nice to have a speedster but this position is the least of our problems. If everybody come back healthy I'd like to see Ford as a slot receiver.
Yeah Lee looks the part. I'd like to see a complimentary back added and we’ll be fine. A quicker, shifty back would be great.

Reactions: MacNit07
Any insights into the recruitment of Rooks, Hargrove, or Townley? I wonder if the ship has sailed for Hargrove? Lovett will only be here for one year, but it seems hard to believe they will have six RBs on scholarship, not to mention Bruno, a quality walk-on getting an off-season under his belt.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Any insights into the recruitment of Rooks, Hargrove, or Townley? I wonder if the ship has sailed for Hargrove? Lovett will only be here for one year, but it seems hard to believe they will have six RBs on scholarship, not to mention Bruno, a quality walk-on getting an off-season under his belt.

I agree, CJF taking Lovett who has the experience and resume to be a #1 RB at PSU, all but makes the statement that they do not plan to take a RB in the class down the stretch to the late signing day. Maybe the couple of RB's they were after gave indications they weren't coming to PSU and that caused the staff to pull the trigger on Lovett when they got interest from him.

DL and possibly an OT seem to be the focus from here out for the 2021 class. There is a premium article on Rooks on one of the sites, and a not too long ago CB for PSU, but that's all I know. Who knows with Townley as well. It would not surprise me to see a DE from the portal announced before February signing day, and/or another DE name pop up as well. DT numbers on the roster, and talent, seems in much better shape than DE, so it could be Rooks or bust for a DT in the class. I did note that the participation list from Saturday had Vanover (at 279 lbs) playing some DE, whereas there were rumors he had already been switched to DT. Definitely need more DE talent added to the roster, especially if both Toney and Oweh leave as many expect.

There was a report of an additional offer going out to an OT not long ago.

Safety is another spot that needs shoring up, with Brisker and Wade moving on, although I don't believe Wade announced that as of yet. The JC kid Brown has seemed to play well in his first year and I look for him to start in 2021. But Sutherland has not shown starting talent from what I have seen of his play at Safety. I was expecting Rudolph to get more into the action in his RS Freshman season given the numbers at the position, but he saw his first snaps at Safety this past Saturday, along with the true frosh Jennings. People project Porter to move to Safety due to his size, but does it make sense to move your best CB when he matches up well with all the big WR's PSU plays against? I guess if they moved him to Safety for the base defense he could still play CB coverage in 5 and 6 DB packages....

CJF reportedly has up to 3 scholarships planned for this class. Rooks, a DE (Townley or ?), and an OT would be my guess for the remainder of the class. And if they strike out at OT maybe 2 DE's (a H.S. recruit and one from the portal).

Last edited:
Is that his weight coming out of junior college, or from the GA roster? It would seem that he would be bigger than that muscle wise after 2 seasons at GA.

Pulled it from a UGA roster. They list him as a LB. No DE distinction. UGA's starting DE is 280 (they do play 3-4). This kid was a starter on the outside according to the depth chart I just pulled.

Pulled it from a UGA roster. They list him as a LB. No DE distinction. UGA's starting DE is 280 (they do play 3-4). This kid was a starter on the outside according to the depth chart I just pulled.

Since he seems to have listed himself as a DE, maybe the position GA has him playing was one of the main issues in his entering the portal. Possibly wants to go back to DE for his last year?

Can someone identify and provide an update on the offensive tackle from western PA who got huge between his junior and senior year? His team couldn't play because of Covid, as I recall. He supposedly needed to demonstrate that with his new bulk that he could move as well as he did as a tall, lanky junior. Put on 40-50 lbs or so. I know that isn't much to go on so thanks if your memory is better than mine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT