ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Recruiting Class Thread

I thought we only have him a schollie to please his brother....kidding. What a friggen serendipitous get from our coaches. I'm a big fan of Sean, and never in a million years would've believed that his non QB brother could end up as a better fb player than him. Although it's yet to happen, I'm super excited to see what he brings to PSU.

During the 16 years that I coached high school, I had two instances of tibia/fibula fractures. It is just hideous. One was a young man on the opposition and the other was one of my players. Thank God, if they had to occur....that they both happened in games. I say this, because back in the 70's and 80's, we had no trainers etc. at practice. The coach was pretty much the "medical authority" and had the daily responsibility of making injury judgements and treatments.
I believe if I had the luxury of a training staff, I may have extended my career.
In any case, we had ambulances and EMT personal on site and both injuries were taken care of as professionally as possible. My player recovered and returned to play his senior year for me and 4 years at Union College in New York. The opposing player never played again. When you experience an injury such as this, it does make you question why you are engaging in football. Thankfully, they are pretty rare.

Reactions: Parkland Fan
During the 16 years that I coached high school, I had two instances of tibia/fibula fractures. It is just hideous. One was a young man on the opposition and the other was one of my players. Thank God, if they had to occur....that they both happened in games. I say this, because back in the 70's and 80's, we had no trainers etc. at practice. The coach was pretty much the "medical authority" and had the daily responsibility of making injury judgements and treatments.
I believe if I had the luxury of a training staff, I may have extended my career.
In any case, we had ambulances and EMT personal on site and both injuries were taken care of as professionally as possible. My player recovered and returned to play his senior year for me and 4 years at Union College in New York. The opposing player never played again. When you experience an injury such as this, it does make you question why you are engaging in football. Thankfully, they are pretty rare.
I snapped my femur like a pencil a couple inches above my knee in a freshman football game in '82.
Was a linebacker and sprinting to my right to make a tackle and ran straight into someone blocking me - their helmet contacted me just above the knee.
This was in very rural NW PA, no ambulance at game, but one was called and arrived within 10 minutes.
This was no fun, for sure, but I came back and started varsity my sophomore year.

I snapped my femur like a pencil a couple inches above my knee in a freshman football game in '82.
Was a linebacker and sprinting to my right to make a tackle and ran straight into someone blocking me - their helmet contacted me just above the knee.
This was in very rural NW PA, no ambulance at game, but one was called and arrived within 10 minutes.
This was no fun, for sure, but I came back and started varsity my sophomore year.
That had to be horrible. Did you receive adequate pain control meds? In our current climate I'd fear for players sustaining substantial injuries when our hospitals are reserving adequate pain control measures and relying on Tylenol and like substances too often. Glad to hear you were able and returned to play. Over the years since the injury do you experience any lingering, negative sunsations or pain? Can you tell when rain is imminent by the sensations near the injury?

Reactions: TheGLOV
There is some talk on the Ohio State side that Derrick Davis is trying to schedule a trip to Ohio State the weekend of October 24th for the “Buckeye Bash”, which is a weekend where the majority of OSUs recruits will be in town and hanging out with one another. If he does in fact visit, that does not bode well for us in his recruitment.

There is some talk on the Ohio State side that Derrick Davis is trying to schedule a trip to Ohio State the weekend of October 24th for the “Buckeye Bash”, which is a weekend where the majority of OSUs recruits will be in town and hanging out with one another. If he does in fact visit, that does not bode well for us in his recruitment.

You should not have posted this.

It isn't positive enough for @Lion8286. In the future, please only post puff pieces and ignore Franklin's assessment -- @Lion8286 obviously knows more about recruiting than he does -- that the staff "hasn't gotten it done" with 2021 class.

You should not have posted this.

It isn't positive enough for @Lion8286. In the future, please only post puff pieces and ignore Franklin's assessment -- @Lion8286 obviously knows more about recruiting than he does -- that the staff "hasn't gotten it done" with 2021 class.

You know that you're just begging to take this thread off track, right?

Reactions: OaktonDave
That's a good sign.

Yep. If a commitment is 3 weeks away, tells me he probably already knows where he's going. And if he hasn't even visited some of those other schools yet -- like UGA and LSU -- then it's less likely he'll select them in the final weeks. But who knows.

Ohio State has always been the big worry here, it seems. If he makes it to their recruit get-together next week, who knows. But I imagine we're in a good position.

Ohio State folks are saying that Derrick Davis will be at the Buckeye Bash as long as Davis’ game does not get moved to Saturday. They are also saying that Ohio State told Davis that he has a “date” that he needs to commit by or they are moving on. TIFWIW. Has Davis been to Penn State recently or does he have plans to come over the next couple of weeks?

Ohio State folks are saying that Derrick Davis will be at the Buckeye Bash as long as Davis’ game does not get moved to Saturday. They are also saying that Ohio State told Davis that he has a “date” that he needs to commit by or they are moving on. TIFWIW. Has Davis been to Penn State recently or does he have plans to come over the next couple of weeks?
You know you’re recruiting is going well when you can tell the 53rd ranked player in the class to commit by a certain date or take a hike.

OT, but remember when we "lost" out on Channing Crowder to Florida in 2002? Not sure he would've been a value-add in the locker room for our run in 2005. Here he is in the "thank" t-shirt, along with Brandon Marshall, Fred Taylor and Chad Johnson.

They need to know whether he's going to take the amount they're offering or if they can find someone else who will take that amount. I think covid-19 is hurting the Bag Man.

lol

I have a hard time believing the "commit by this date or else" ultimatum.

He's the #2 safety prospect in the nation, and as physically imposing a secondary prospect as there is in the country. While OSU hardly needs yet another uber-talented kid to secure an elite class, they're not going to turn a kid like that down just because he wants to commit a bit later. No way. They'd gladly find a way to push some 3* out of the class or arm twist somebody to go pro early to make room.

Last edited:
I have a hard time believing the "commit by this date or else" ultimatum.

He's the #2 safety prospect in the nation, and as physically imposing a secondary prospect as there is in the country. While OSU hardly needs yet another uber-talented kid to secure an elite class, they're not going to turn a kid like that down just because he wants to commit a bit later. No way. They'd gladly find a way to push some 3* out of the class or arm twist somebody to go pro early to make room.
Here's to hoping that they see the writing on the wall and pushed a NLT date as a way to save face.

That is a good sign. O$U never “loses” a recruit. They move on from him. If they are making preemptive excuses that is good news for us.

I cannot understand why Nate Bruce is not rated higher. He is a monster. Can't wait to see this kid after two years in our "Body Redevelopment Program."
I know one of his coaches well. He already surprises them with what he can do in the weight room particularly with body weight exercises like pull ups. For a big boy he seems to have strength to weight ratios and movement that is much more similar to their skill players than the linemen.

I cannot understand why Nate Bruce is not rated higher. He is a monster. Can't wait to see this kid after two years in our "Body Redevelopment Program."

Say what you want about our staff's recruiting lately. But they haven't lost their ability to spot talent.

They seem to really go after athletic 3* big men -- even if not as polished and developed as the blue-chip types. Will be interesting to see how guys like Vilbert, Darkwa, Mulbah, Mostella, Achumba, Bruce, etc. materialize.

Say what you want about our staff's recruiting lately. But they haven't lost their ability to spot talent.

They seem to really go after athletic 3* big men -- even if not as polished and developed as the blue-chip types. Will be interesting to see how guys like Vilbert, Darkwa, Mulbah, Mostella, Achumba, Bruce, etc. materialize.

Vilbert, Darkwa and Mulbah are all going to be monsters. Mostella needs to play LB. I don't see him putting on the 50 lbs he will need to play DE.

Vilbert, Darkwa and Mulbah are all going to be monsters. Mostella needs to play LB. I don't see him putting on the 50 lbs he will need to play DE.
Mostella is already 6’6” and 248 pounds right now as a true freshman. He’d be the second heaviest linebacker on the roster this year behind walk-on redshirt freshman Alex Furmanek. Mostella is going to keep putting on weight and he’ll be 6’6” and 265 pounds as a redshirt freshman this time next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT