ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Recruiting Class Thread

Fair enough, I appreciate your candor. No doubt, 5 star QB's are awesome...they DO lead to greater expectations and high level recruiting. They can change the trajectory of a team. I think I just struggle with the concept that a 5 star QB is not on this roster is preventative to us achieving our goals. I happen to think Clifford is DAMN good and can be developed to be ELITE. Suggesting that an elite QB could get us over the hump right now with the talent and coaching in place is sort of an indictment on CLifford no? Maybe I am reading too much into it or putting words in someone's mouth, but does'nt that suggest we dont have an elite QB on our team currently?
I think many have confidence that there are already high-level QB's on the roster, including Clifford, but like anything there is some uncertainty until it clearly manifests on the field...so aiming high in recruiting, albeit not a guarantee (and regardless of the impact on the decisions of other recruits in the same cycle), certainly increases the likelihood that one of the roster QB's will develop to be elite, whether it be the current starter, one of the others currently on the roster, or the one from the next class.

That said, it seems that unfortunately "elite QB" has now become synonymous with "start as a freshman"...Trevor Lawrence is one such example, but there doesn't seem to be any reason that "start as a freshman" has to be considered as the most important factor to eventually performing at an elite level, especially if the roster already consists of other highly rated players at the position.

Reactions: PSUALREADYKNOW
I think many have confidence that there are already high-level QB's on the roster, including Clifford, but like anything there is some uncertainty until it clearly manifests on the field...so aiming high in recruiting, albeit not a guarantee (and regardless of the impact on the decisions of other recruits in the same cycle), certainly increases the likelihood that one of the roster QB's will develop to be elite, whether it be the current starter, one of the others currently on the roster, or the one from the next class.

That said, it seems that unfortunately "elite QB" has now become synonymous with "start as a freshman"...Trevor Lawrence is one such example, but there doesn't seem to be any reason that "start as a freshman" has to be considered as the most important factor to eventually performing at an elite level, especially if the roster already consists of other highly rated players at the position.

Yeah, I think "aiming high in recruiting" is an aligned goal of the coaches and fans. I just don't think a 5 star qb wins more games than clifford last year, so suggesting that a 5 star, simply if nothing else were to change, produces a different outcome last year or into the future is a leap I'm unwilling to take. Our secondary was a mess, our O-Line gave up a lot of sacks, and our Coordinator was more concerned in having a FB as a QB than developing full field passing attack. I just don't think that a 5 star QB changes any of that, I guess thats all I disagree with. Now a 2 star QB, sure, we lose more games.

Reactions: PSUALREADYKNOW
Yeah, I think "aiming high in recruiting" is an aligned goal of the coaches and fans. I just don't think a 5 star qb wins more games than clifford last year, so suggesting that a 5 star, simply if nothing else were to change, produces a different outcome last year or into the future is a leap I'm unwilling to take. Our secondary was a mess, our O-Line gave up a lot of sacks, and our Coordinator was more concerned in having a FB as a QB than developing full field passing attack. I just don't think that a 5 star QB changes any of that, I guess thats all I disagree with. Now a 2 star QB, sure, we lose more games.
There are five star QBs and then there are true difference makers. I disagree that a Watkins or Lawrence would not have won more games. That’s what Clemson has had to take a very good team and make them national champions.

Burrows was not a 5 star recruit, but he is now a top two draft pick. If Clifford can make that jump we will be in the playoffs. It’s currently difficult to imagine him being a top draft pick but I’m hoping It’s possible

There are five star QBs and then there are true difference makers. I disagree that a Watkins or Lawrence would not have won more games. That’s what Clemson has had to take a very good team and make them national champions.

Fair enough, I disagree. I think their teams played better defense, had stronger lines on both slides of the ball, more talent at receiver and better coaching. Justin Shorter is still justin shorter if Watkins is throwing him the ball. Trevor Lawerence is injured, like clifford, if the OC runs him up the middle 11 times a game on 3rd down. Somebody explain to me how a 5 star QB fixes our pass defense?

Reactions: ftlpsu
If that 5 star QB convinced (3) 5 star WR to commit like Fields did this year then?

Reactions: ST8FAN
If that 5 star QB convinced (3) 5 star WR to commit like Fields did this year then?

Sure, but now again, we are talking about something extraneous to the point. If NOTHING else CHANGED on the team, simply inserting a 5 star QB gets us OVER THE HUMP. That was the posters claim that I disagree with. Now we are moving the goalposts. IF 5 star QB recruit attracts better recruits in the secondary, our defense improves...sure, okay??

Look, again, just ask yourself....is clifford good enough to get to the playoffs? If the answer is NO, then yes, we need to recruit better players at his position. Nobody disagrees with that, I just happen to think clifford can be elite and that a 5 star QB is not the missing elixir, but rather an adequate(?) pass blocking O-Line, receivers that catch, and an offensive philosophy that utilizes the entire field and allows for easy throws.

Hang on, I need to understand this further. So, we do not have an elite QB on our roster currently? How do you know this? We have 4 star QBs on our roster and our starting QB was a sophomore last year and played moderately well in a sh*tty passing offense? Actually, let me start with this question as it's foundational to your point:

Is Sean Clifford capable of getting us to the playoffs ie is he capable of being "elite?" I guess that would be a big fat NO from you based on his sophomore campaign where he had receivers dropping the ball everywhere, the offensive line giving up a ton of sacks and a coordinator committed to injuring him by giving him multiple rushing attempts up the middle. In fact, he has proven how "non-elite" he is to you so much so that a player, who has never played a college game, is a MUST get for us if we are ever going to get to the promise land? Basically, Williams is better than Clifford presently?

Oh okay, maybe you are suggesting that you must be a 5 star QB to get your team to the playoffs, I see. Fromm/Mayfield/DeSean Watson say Hi just to name a few.

Clifford and really any other 4 star(we are talking about BIG TIME QB's here) are more than capable of getting their respective teams to the playoffs assuming the are developed, the coaches put a good plan together to exacerbate their strengths and limit any weaknesses, the o-line blocks, and the receivers catch. You seem to think that if you don't have those things in place, simply inputting a 5 STAR!!!!OMG QB will do the trick. No way, no how.

You are way overreacting. I said "an elite QB could get PSU over the hump. He'd help recruiting. I love the kids we have. And I'd expect true competition."

So, Clifford, Levis, etc. could all be the elite QB we need. But you never stop trying to recruit above what you currently have.

@Shadow99 did a good job defending my position, so I'll leave it at that and not pollute the 2021 recruiting thread any further.

Art, you know that is a totally foolish argument. No one knows exactly which 3 star QB will be the next Mahomes either. But that doesn't mean that the rankings are totally meaningless either. In aggregate they tell us more than single player rankings. Heck, the #1 recruit in the nation might have some probability of a career ending injury his freshman year but of course we still would like to land them.

I wasn't making an argument.

Reactions: TheGLOV

Uhhhh, he was literally one play away -- whether that's the Daesean Hamilton drop against Pitt, or one of the plays that eeked out Washington's OT win against Arizona, or one of the plays that eeked out Ohio State's OT win against Wisconsin -- from being in the CFP in 2016.

Yes, having an elite blue chip QB will give teams a better chance of making the CFP than not having an elite blue chip QB. But Trace McSorley was "good enough" to get PSU to the CFP. Don't be silly.

https://voiceofwv.com/mountaineers-...JGE0IR8GLAxRDWuXxPauav9Yh1J3bBJithx_RL7qwFhg0

C1CE27A9-AF6D-441B-A7D4-1B2FBFDFAEE7.jpeg

Your first post in 14 years? Hope the next one in 2034 is better.
The views on our class seems incredibly divergent based on who you read. Dohn says we lead with Rucci, Tengwall, Malone, and Gilliam but elsewhere you have people saying Jeudy, Rucci, Thornton, and Robinson looking like they are not gonna pick PSU. Loy says we have a shot with Spindler, and other hacks at Rivals don't think we'll be top ten.

We need these visits to happen and something good to get the mojo going.

Last edited:
The staff turnover is playing a major role in the slow start, whether or not people are willing to admit it. When you lose close to 50% of your staff, including some of your best recruiters, there's going to be some challenges on the recruiting trail. We're playing from behind on a lot of these prospects. Especially on the offensive side of the ball.

I was never fan of Limegrover and think we upgraded, but he was the one with a years long relationship with Milum, Rucci, Tengwall, etc. You don't just pick up where you left off when you replace the guy.

Parker is the one who had the relationships with the WRs in the DMV, and all of those guys now seem trending elsewhere. The recent flurry of WR offers in FL recently is not a coincidence.

I'd imagine we'll see similar effects along the DL. A lot of these regional kids have been talking to Spencer for the past 3 years and now we're sliding in a guy that spent most of his time developing relationships in the south.

The staff turnover is playing a major role in the slow start, whether or not people are willing to admit it. When you lose close to 50% of your staff, including some of your best recruiters, there's going to be some challenges on the recruiting trail. We're playing from behind on a lot of these prospects. Especially on the offensive side of the ball.

I was never fan of Limegrover and think we upgraded, but he was the one with a years long relationship with Milum, Rucci, Tengwall, etc. You don't just pick up where you left off when you replace the guy.

Parker is the one who had the relationships with the WRs in the DMV, and all of those guys now seem trending elsewhere. The recent flurry of WR offers in FL recently is not a coincidence.

I'd imagine we'll see similar effects along the DL. A lot of these regional kids have been talking to Spencer for the past 3 years and now we're sliding in a guy that spent most of his time developing relationships in the south.
It's early and things will pick up. I'm not very concerned as I also think PSU will be in at least another NYD 6 bowl again....4th time in 5 years. Maybe they catch some breaks and make that next step, but CJF will recruit well in the end.

Should we have kept all the coaches even though you did not think they were good coaches?

Your first post in 14 years? Hope the next one in 2034 is better.
Hey, give the guy a break he’s obviously a deep thinker who studies all aspects of an issue before posting. It was clear, concise and to the point. Whatever in the hell the point was. I bet that 2034 post is going to be something worth waiting for.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT