ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Recruiting Class Thread

This is great stuff:

Stxbuck 24 HOURS AGO

IMO, some top recruits are turned off by tOSU’s growing by academic reputation. We don’t play bagmen games and recruits realize they are expected to go to class and not just get dragged through eligibility kicking and screaming by tutors-ie-we don’t do things the SEC way. tOSU competes a lot more w/ Stanford and ND for top recruits(the decision coming down to tOSU and those schools) than they do w/ Georgia and LSU. A lot of top recruits just want to ball for the NFL in the South and “play school” in the words of 12 Gauge-and are aware of which top programs are more amenable to that way of thinking.

How insane do you have to be to write that? It makes me think it might be one of the Internet guys O$U pays to influence perception and recruiting.

The list is getting longer.

This kid is blowing up.

Even though Johnson/Grimes are still on the board, this might be that shutdown CB we've been looking to land.

Dohn said on the 247 podcast that there is mutual interest between Warren and the staff and there's a vibe that he wants to stay close to home so his parents can see him play.

This is great stuff:

Stxbuck 24 HOURS AGO

IMO, some top recruits are turned off by tOSU’s growing by academic reputation. We don’t play bagmen games and recruits realize they are expected to go to class and not just get dragged through eligibility kicking and screaming by tutors-ie-we don’t do things the SEC way. tOSU competes a lot more w/ Stanford and ND for top recruits(the decision coming down to tOSU and those schools) than they do w/ Georgia and LSU. A lot of top recruits just want to ball for the NFL in the South and “play school” in the words of 12 Gauge-and are aware of which top programs are more amenable to that way of thinking.
That has got to be wolve72's real alias.

This is great stuff:

Stxbuck 24 HOURS AGO

Agreed. From Terelle Pryor to Cardale Jones to Maurice Clarett, Ohio State exudes academic excellence in all that they do. When recruits see that Mount Rushmore of academia, of course they're deterred from committing. That's a lofty standard to achieve, and I don't blame them for wanting to go someplace where they can just focus on football.

Alternatively, this post is a wonderful illustration of what happens when people trade in critical thinking to achieve elite fanboy status.

Clearly increasing southern presence which is awesome! Have to join’em to beat’em. Southeast corner is just so fertile. It’s unbelievable the talent coming out of Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, and the Carolinas. Need to grab 5-7 players a year out of that region.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Some other notes from the 247 podcast:

Top100 LB/DE Demeioun Robinson really likes Pry. Pitching the Parsons OLB mold while other schools have pegged him a DE. Probably the leader here.

Dohn thinks we lead for 4*s DT Malone and DE Gilliam but the competition from other schools will heat up after the dead period.

Predicting one of Williams/Veilleux as the QB, more likely the latter.

In a really good spot with a number of DBs. Ortiz from AZ might not be a take right now.

Offers out and interest from the TEs in Iowa and CA. Might get a visit from both. Elksnis has been taking visits but we may have weathered that storm, the TE coach from UF left for a new job days after the visit.

WR situation might take a bit to sort itself out, the DMV kids are going to take their time this spring/summer.

Still the perceived leader for Rucci and Tengwall.

Top100 LB/DE Demeioun Robinson really likes Pry. Pitching the Parsons OLB mold while other schools have pegged him a DE. Probably the leader here.

Dohn thinks we lead for 4*s DT Malone and DE Gilliam but the competition from other schools will heat up after the dead period.

In a really good spot with a number of DBs. Ortiz from AZ might not be a take right now.

Offers out and interest from the TEs in Iowa and CA. Might get a visit from both. Elksnis has been taking visits but we may have weathered that storm, the TE coach from UF left for a new job days after the visit.

WR situation might take a bit to sort itself out, the DMV kids are going to take their time this spring/summer.

Word on Tristen Leigh?

Leigh seems enamored with LSU/Clemson.

I’ve seen it talked about elsewhere but haven’t been able to confirm - is Davis Terry Smith’s nephew?

I wouldn’t write us off yet with Davis, he was just on campus last month and we’ve made him a priority since he was a freshman. OSU has slow played him to this point.

She is a PSU grad. Lettered in a sport too I believe, not sure which though.
Our kids swam on the same team in elementary school, so she talks to my wife from time to time. Big time All-American (for multiple years , IIRC) in field hockey. She is a real nice lady. Husband is introverted. Their oldest son just finished his first year as a TE at Whisky. PSU never really chased him. She said the nicest bunch of fans at UW, until they lose a game. Mom and dad aren't pressuring him to go to PSU, it is his call.

4* Top100 TE Brock Bowers to visit 3/5.

3. Penn State will finish in the top 10 in recruiting in 2021.
Farrell’s take: FACT. Wait what? Penn State is currently No 30 in the country in 2021 with three commits and all of them three-stars. But so many prospects seem to be mentioning Penn State on their short and early lists that I think the Nittany Lions will get on a roll and push into the top 10. It’s rare for a Big Ten program to finish in the top 10 these days beyond Ohio State, but I have a good feeling about James Franklin and this 2021 class.

Gorney’s take: FICTION. Going back to the 2010 recruiting class, Penn State has had only one top-10 finish and that was in 2018 when the Nittany Lions signed two five-stars. Plus, in-state recruiting has not been dominated by Penn State in the 2021 cycle as Ohio State has come in and landed two of the top players there. Franklin is one of the best recruiters in the country and he’s going to put together a top-20 class like every cycle, but top 10? That’s a little too high for me.

Farrell’s take: FACT. Wait what? Penn State is currently No 30 in the country in 2021 with three commits and all of them three-stars. But so many prospects seem to be mentioning Penn State on their short and early lists that I think the Nittany Lions will get on a roll and push into the top 10. It’s rare for a Big Ten program to finish in the top 10 these days beyond Ohio State, but I have a good feeling about James Franklin and this 2021 class.

Gorney’s take: FICTION. Going back to the 2010 recruiting class, Penn State has had only one top-10 finish and that was in 2018 when the Nittany Lions signed two five-stars. Plus, in-state recruiting has not been dominated by Penn State in the 2021 cycle as Ohio State has come in and landed two of the top players there. Franklin is one of the best recruiters in the country and he’s going to put together a top-20 class like every cycle, but top 10? That’s a little too high for me.

CJF gets the attention of a lot of top recruits but in the end most end up elsewhere. I don’t see that changing unfortunately.

Seems like the general consensus among a lot of analysts. Boom or bust. The staff turnover probably plays a part in the (somewhat) slow start.

Might be worth its own thread but thought it pertained to some current recruits.

Deion Barnes (yes, former player) has been brought on as GA. Barnes is from Philly and most recently has been coaching high school football and managing a training facility. Two priority recruits were being coached by Barnes in high school:

2021 DE 4* Elijah Jeudy
2022 DE/OLB Ken Talley

Might be worth its own thread but thought it pertained to some current recruits.

Deion Barnes (yes, former player) has been brought on as GA. Barnes is from Philly and most recently has been coaching high school football and managing a training facility. Two priority recruits were being coached by Barnes in high school:

2021 DE 4* Elijah Jeudy
2022 DE/OLB Ken Talley
Huge get if he delivers these guys.

Seems like the general consensus among a lot of analysts. Boom or bust. The staff turnover probably plays a part in the (somewhat) slow start.
I don't think we've lost a single target since the end of the season. Much more likely that everyone is taking their time in deciding. Expect a lot of dominoes to fall in the spring.

Reactions: Judge Smails
CJF gets the attention of a lot of top recruits but in the end most end up elsewhere. I don’t see that changing unfortunately.
If PSU hits on half of:
Grimes, Williams, Rucci, Henderson, Tengwall, Davis Jr., Robinson, Thornton, Leigh, Milum, Pryor, Malone, Johnson, Farooq, Gilliam, Jeudy, Sutton, Brown, Penn III, Armitage

It would be the best class in school history. If they hit on 25% of them guaranteed top 10 class. We are currently the presumed leader or tie for the lead on 13 of them.

Why are these guys listed? Top 200 composite. Not even including 4 stars in the 200-350 range.

Success with Honor was BS. Funny how the 2nd tier fans now only care about success regardless of honor.

Facilities are an excuse. No playoff appearances and not the strongest record of putting kids into the NFL.

No playoff appearance and second tier facilities are two biggest reasons imo

Not going to argue with either one of you. However, I truly feel until - as was stated in this thread above - Penn State starts knocking down the door in columbASS and when ohowIhate is in Beaver, Penn State will continue to struggle to get all the top tier kids they seek. Holding serve on the home and away with the suckeyes would be a huge start. Winning at UM would go along way as well IMHO.

Edit - this has to be a solid post as I just realized I hit the 4500 mark!

OL

Not going to argue with either one of you. However, I truly feel until - as was stated in this thread above - Penn State starts knocking down the door in columbASS and when ohowIhate is in Beaver, Penn State will continue to struggle to get all the top tier kids they seek. Holding serve on the home and away with the suckeyes would be a huge start. Winning at UM would go along way as well IMHO.

Edit - this has to be a solid post as I just realized I hit the 4500 mark!

OL

Agree.

ADVERTISEMENT