ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Recruiting Class Thread

“The Buckeyes are in line for an official visit for Fleming, who says a couple of unnamed schools are standing out to him at the moment.
There are two schools that have really separated themselves,” he said. “Right now we’re setting up some official visits, trying to set them in stone. I’ll probably take an official visit to Ohio State for the Penn State game.”
Barf

“The Buckeyes are in line for an official visit for Fleming, who says a couple of unnamed schools are standing out to him at the moment.
There are two schools that have really separated themselves,” he said. “Right now we’re setting up some official visits, trying to set them in stone. I’ll probably take an official visit to Ohio State for the Penn State game.”
Let’s beat OSU on his official

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Bobby Samuels? ... Corey Jones?..... Maybe..... Maybe not. I want the players... don't care where they come from or how they are rated in HS.... I want those that are rated the best after matriculating.

Bobby Samuels? ... Corey Jones?..... Maybe..... Maybe not. I want the players... don't care where they come from or how they are rated in HS.... I want those that are rated the best after matriculating.

Not to mention that Southern Columbia isn't exactly knocking heads with the best of competition. That gives me pause when thinking about Fleming's rating and talent level.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Weekend notes:
  • 4* OT Jimmy Christ was in town
  • 3* OL Nick Dawkins from Parkland visited and was offered
  • 3* OLB Cullen Coleman from NY visited and was offered
  • 4* Ath and top 100 prospect Enzo Jennings picked up several crystal balls to PSU. Continues to tweet lots of pro psu stuff
  • 5* RB Chris Tyree visited ND this weekend
  • 4* DE Demon Clowney committed to LSU
  • 5* Antoine Sampah is wrapping up a six day visit tour with his hs that included stops at Miss St, UCF, Bama, LSU, Miami, and Clemson
  • 5* Mekhail Sherman’s twitter picture is now him in a UGA uniform

Just to be clear, we do want guys who don't want to be here. We just want them convinced they want to be here when sign and arrive. That is the job of recruiting. If it were just about getting guys that want to be here then it wouldn't be that hard and anyone could do it.

The problem is when there is something about your school that you just can't convince a prospect about it. If the prospect wants to see the "world" or just get away from home and your campus is right near their home then it's a tough sell.

I have to believe Franklin is doing everything he can. Sometimes with these big time recruits they spend too much time as freshman and sophomores at your campus and they feel like they might be missing out. Sometimes they circle back, like Micah, sometimes they don't.

Just to be clear, we do want guys who don't want to be here. We just want them convinced they want to be here when sign and arrive. That is the job of recruiting. If it were just about getting guys that want to be here then it wouldn't be that hard and anyone could do it.

The problem is when there is something about your school that you just can't convince a prospect about it. If the prospect wants to see the "world" or just get away from home and your campus is right near their home then it's a tough sell.

I have to believe Franklin is doing everything he can. Sometimes with these big time recruits they spend too much time as freshman and sophomores at your campus and they feel like they might be missing out. Sometimes they circle back, like Micah, sometimes they don't.
This is a good post. It’s also important to recognize that the job of “convincing guys with other tremendous options that Penn State is the best place for them” becomes a whole lot harder when we’re as far behind those schools as we are in terms of facilities. It is what it is until we change it.

This is a good post. It’s also important to recognize that the job of “convincing guys with other tremendous options that Penn State is the best place for them” becomes a whole lot harder when we’re as far behind those schools as we are in terms of facilities. It is what it is until we change it.
Thanks. Full disclosure that it is a rehash of something Fitz said on his podcast last year.

Weekend notes:
  • 4* OT Jimmy Christ was in town
  • 3* OL Nick Dawkins from Parkland visited and was offered
  • 3* OLB Cullen Coleman from NY visited and was offered
  • 4* Ath and top 100 prospect Enzo Jennings picked up several crystal balls to PSU. Continues to tweet lots of pro psu stuff
  • 5* RB Chris Tyree visited ND this weekend
  • 4* DE Demon Clowney committed to LSU
  • 5* Antoine Sampah is wrapping up a six day visit tour with his hs that included stops at Miss St, UCF, Bama, LSU, Miami, and Clemson
  • 5* Mekhail Sherman’s twitter picture is now him in a UGA uniform
Someone named their child Demon? Wow.

Franklin has obviously not made inroads at St. Frances. They keep sending everyone south.

Didn't take long for the:

'Best WR prospect in the country. Top kid in PA. Must get."

to turn (predictably) to:

"Not that special. Has already peaked in HS. Not a PSU guy."

Based on a kid possibly preferring other programs to PSU.

Gotta' love the recruitin' process :)

To be fair Stormin', even though the change you noted is 'drastic', it is the view of a small minority of folks on here!

Reactions: stormingnorm
https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatef...ut-a-new-offer-in-pa-more-monday-musings.html

Penn State hosting a top recruit today; Lions send out a new offer in PA, more: Monday musings
Today 10:01 AM
2CT35OI4GZBZNGJE23MVJ3ARPI.jpg

Penn State recruit Zak Zinter visits for the Maryland game on Nov. 24, 2018. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

By Greg Pickel | gpickel@pennlive.com

The Penn State football team is beginning its third week of spring practice by hosting one of its top Class of 2020 recruiting targets.

North Andover, Mass., four-star offensive tackle Zak Zinter is on campus for an unofficial visit on Monday, he said on social media. The 6-foot-6, 300-pound recruit is the nation’s No. 225 player and the No. 23 offensive tackle according to 247Sports’ Composite rankings.

Zinter has offers from the likes of Notre Dame, Auburn, Duke, and almost 25 other programs. He last visited the Lions in November for the regular season finale opposite Maryland, so he has seen the Beaver Stadium game day atmosphere before, and now he’ll have a chance to get a feel for campus life during the spring while taking in practice to see how the coaches communicate and develop players in that environment.

Penn State has five 2020 commits to this point, but only one along the offensive line, as Michigan three-star Grant Toutant was the first pledge in this cycle.

Besides Zinter, the Nittany Lions’ wish list at tackle also includes four-star Mars High talent Michael Carmody, Washington, D.C. four-star Anton Harris, and Maryland four-star Aaryn Parks, among others.

Lions send out new PA offer

Penn State has not picked up its first Pennsylvania pledge in this class yet, and further, the Lions have only offered three players from the Keystone State.

The third verbal tender was just handed out over the weekend, as the program made a move to try and land Nicholas Dawkins, who is a three-star offensive guard from Allentown, Pa. The junior plays at Parkland and stands 6-foot-3, 300 pounds. Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Indiana, Pittsburgh, and some Ivy league programs have also offered.

“It’s cool because I grew up watching Penn State,” Dawkins told Blue-White Illustrated.

“When I was younger and going through the years, a lot of people in my school and family have been Penn State fans, so it’s cool. I’m a Pennsylvania kid, so to get a Pennsylvania State [University] offer is great.”

Dawkins does not appear to have a decision timeline and will likely visit many other programs before making a call.

As for the state and region in this cycle, it’s quite strong, even if only three tenders have gone out in-state so far.

"I do think the region is really strong," Franklin said in February.

“And that’s important. It really is important, because obviously the closer they are, the better chance you have to develop the type of relationships that you need.”

More weekend recruiting news

A number of other prospects besides Dawkins came to campus over the weekend, including:
  • Maryland Class of 2021 center Ryan Linthicum
  • Ohio Class of 2020 three-star ends Brandon Taylor and Chris Mayfield
  • Maryland Class of 2021 receiver Jalil Farooq
  • New York Class of 2020 linebacker Cullen Coleman
Coleman picked up an offer, according to 247Sports.

The Lions continue to seek their first spring practice commitment. Drills continue through April 13, when the Blue-White game will take place at 3 p.m. inside of Beaver Stadium.

Are these quotes from the board? I haven't seen anyone say they don't want him. Everyone would love for Fleming to stay home and play for PSU. However, CJF has brought in great talent year in and year out at WR, so if Fleming doesn't come to PSU, we will still attract other very talented WRs from around the country.

Actually there were posts speculating that Fleming may be overrated because of his age. I would love to have him whether he is the #1 or #10 WR. He is very good and he has visited PSU constantly. It would be a tough one to lose

Who are you quoting? CAn you post a link or did you make up the quotes?

This is fine, Fleming can go wherever he wants. The receivers we have now are better than he is. Don’t care what high school he plays at either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT