ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Recruiting Class Thread

Are these quotes from the board? I haven't seen anyone say they don't want him. Everyone would love for Fleming to stay home and play for PSU. However, CJF has brought in great talent year in and year out at WR, so if Fleming doesn't come to PSU, we will still attract other very talented WRs from around the country.

The Wide receiver room will continue to be stacked year in and year out. Adding any 5 star receivers would just be icing on the cake.

Big, strong, and pretty athletic athlete that has some position flexibility between TE and DE. Would make a nice addition to this class....

https://247sports.com/college/penn-...tight-end-recruit-talks-Penn-State-130512906/

Lions target Cam Large could land on either side of ball
ByTYLER DONOHUE 19 hours ago

Two years ago, Penn State sealed the deal with one of New England's premier prospects by signing eventual Freshman All-American tight end Pat Freiermuth. A similar path could lead Cam Large to the same Nittany Lions positional group ... or perhaps to one on defense.

"I’m being recruited as an athlete (by PSU)," Large told Lions247.

The Noble and Greenough School (Dedham, Mass.) junior is listed 13th among tight end talents in 247Sports 2020 composite rankings but reports his recruitment could see him land on either side of the ball if he picks Penn State.

"They want me at tight end and defensive end — they just need to decide which one," he explained. "I’d love to play either one at the next level."

As you can see in his 2018 season highlights atop this article, Large excelled in both roles as a junior. He caught six touchdowns in the offensive attack, adding 13 tackles for loss, nine sacks and three forced fumbles on defense.

"I think my toughness and my motor, along with my versatility, make me who I am," Large said. "I create the issue of if the kid in front of me isn’t willing to go as hard as me, he isn’t going to win."

This blend of versatility and competitiveness helped draw a scholarship offer from Penn State last month. Nittany Lions defensive line coach Sean Spencer personally presented the opportunity on Feb. 25 and has worked to establish rapport.

"He’s been great," Large said. "It’s been awesome talking to him."

Large, who stands 6-foot-5, 240 pounds, has felt wanted in Happy Valley since that offer arrived. Aside from Penn State, he pointed to Duke, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Wisconsin and Vanderbilt as programs pursuing him as though he is a priority.

"I’ve been to camp at Penn State before and I loved seeing it," Large said. "I'm really excited to get down there for a visit because they run a top-notch program."

Duke hosted him on campus this past weekend, while recent trips include time spent at Notre Dame and Ohio State.

Penn State edged out Ohio State last recruiting cycle for a commitment from four-star Parkersburg (W.V.) tight end Brenton Strange. In December, he became the third blue-chip prospect at the position to sign with PSU in a 13-month span, joining Freiermuth and Zack Kuntz.

Freiermuth led Big Ten tight ends with eight touchdown receptions as a true freshman and should be the frontrunner for 2019 preseason first-team all-conference status. Prior to his emergence as a Nittany Lions star, he was considered the No. 1 overall recruit in Massachusetts.

Freiermuth attended the Brooks School, which competes in the state's Independent School League along with Noble and Greenough. That familiarity is notable for Large.

"Pat having played in my league and seeing him do this at the next level is truly a special and influential thing to me," he said.
Large carries 20 total scholarship offers. Penn State doesn't yet claim a 2020 commitment at defensive end or tight end, which could feature multiple prospects this cycle considering the offseason transfer of redshirt junior Danny Dalton and the impending departure of fifth-year seniors Nick Bowers and Jonathan Holland.

Last edited:
https://247sports.com/college/penn-...tight-end-recruit-talks-Penn-State-130512906/

Lions target Cam Large could land on either side of ball
ByTYLER DONOHUE 19 hours ago

Two years ago, Penn State sealed the deal with one of New England's premier prospects by signing eventual Freshman All-American tight end Pat Freiermuth. A similar path could lead Cam Large to the same Nittany Lions positional group ... or perhaps to one on defense.

"I’m being recruited as an athlete (by PSU)," Large told Lions247.

The Noble and Greenough School (Dedham, Mass.) junior is listed 13th among tight end talents in 247Sports 2020 composite rankings but reports his recruitment could see him land on either side of the ball if he picks Penn State.

"They want me at tight end and defensive end — they just need to decide which one," he explained. "I’d love to play either one at the next level."

As you can see in his 2018 season highlights atop this article, Large excelled in both roles as a junior. He caught six touchdowns in the offensive attack, adding 13 tackles for loss, nine sacks and three forced fumbles on defense.

"I think my toughness and my motor, along with my versatility, make me who I am," Large said. "I create the issue of if the kid in front of me isn’t willing to go as hard as me, he isn’t going to win."

This blend of versatility and competitiveness helped draw a scholarship offer from Penn State last month. Nittany Lions defensive line coach Sean Spencer personally presented the opportunity on Feb. 25 and has worked to establish rapport.

"He’s been great," Large said. "It’s been awesome talking to him."

Large, who stands 6-foot-5, 240 pounds, has felt wanted in Happy Valley since that offer arrived. Aside from Penn State, he pointed to Duke, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Wisconsin and Vanderbilt as programs pursuing him as though he is a priority.

"I’ve been to camp at Penn State before and I loved seeing it," Large said. "I'm really excited to get down there for a visit because they run a top-notch program."

Duke hosted him on campus this past weekend, while recent trips include time spent at Notre Dame and Ohio State.

Penn State edged out Ohio State last recruiting cycle for a commitment from four-star Parkersburg (W.V.) tight end Brenton Strange. In December, he became the third blue-chip prospect at the position to sign with PSU in a 13-month span, joining Freiermuth and Zack Kuntz.

Freiermuth led Big Ten tight ends with eight touchdown receptions as a true freshman and should be the frontrunner for 2019 preseason first-team all-conference status. Prior to his emergence as a Nittany Lions star, he was considered the No. 1 overall recruit in Massachusetts.

Freiermuth attended the Brooks School, which competes in the state's Independent School League along with Noble and Greenough. That familiarity is notable for Large.

"Pat having played in my league and seeing him do this at the next level is truly a special and influential thing to me," he said.
Large carries 20 total scholarship offers. Penn State doesn't yet claim a 2020 commitment at defensive end or tight end, which could feature multiple prospects this cycle considering the offseason transfer of redshirt junior Danny Dalton and the impending departure of fifth-year seniors Nick Bowers and Jonathan Holland.

Reactions: TheGLOV

Clemson picked up CBs for Bresee from Dohn, Loy, Ryan and NC State insider Clark.

As previously noted during Blue-White he'll be on official at Oklahoma. PSU might not be helped by having him at Blue-White anyway, as they are trying to set up a time for him to visit with his family where he is the only recruit up. Not in a big group recruiting weekend.

I wish Dottin would stop taking his sweet time, feels like we haven't had a commitment since January..

Clemson picked up CBs for Bresee from Dohn, Loy, Ryan and NC State insider Clark.

As previously noted during Blue-White he'll be on official at Oklahoma. PSU might not be helped by having him at Blue-White anyway, as they are trying to set up a time for him to visit with his family where he is the only recruit up. Not in a big group recruiting weekend.

That's interesting that Bresee is taking an official visit to Oklahoma, since Oklahoma was not one of his top 6 schools. When that happens, it is an example of a recruit wanting to "enjoy" and drag out the recruiting process, even though the recruit may already know where he is going to commit. I've also seen some social media speak where Bresee and Fleming may be announcing their commitments at the same time.

Reactions: bison13 and TheGLOV
Recruiting update by RLR:

https://www.roarlionsroar.com/penn-state-football-recruiting/2019/03/5419/mike-wyman-visit-joshua-moten-tony-grimes-katron-evans

FOR THE FUTURE [3.26.19]: MORE WEEKEND VISITORS, BIG-TIME WIDE RECEIVER PLANS A PENN STATE TRIP, AND MORE!
Michael Stanley on March 26, 2019 at 8:30 am @michael_stan
5419_h_0.jpg

247Sports

Email this ArticleShare on RedditShare on TwitterShare on Facebook10
0 COMMENTS
WYMAN PLANS TO VISIT
Four-star wide receiver Mike Wyman (Greensboro, NC) plans to visit Penn State on March 30th in an unofficial capacity, Roar Lions Roar has confirmed. The 6'4, 195-pound receiver is certainly a priority target and Penn State would love to pair him up with Jaden Dottin and Julian Fleming. They'd have to fight to the end for that to come to fruition, but that would undoubtedly be a star-studded trio.

He also released a top-14 of Penn State, Georgia, Purdue, ECU, Kentucky, Auburn, Louisville, Oregon, North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, West Virginia, Florida State, and Oklahoma. He stated intentions to trim that list to five sooner rather than later.

VISITORS

The headliners of this group are a couple of Virginia targets, Tony Grimes and Katron Evans. They're both top-20 nationally and rank Nos. 1 and 2, respectively, at their positions in 2021.

• Four-star Cornerback Joshua Moten (Happy Birthday, by the way!)
NEW OFFERS

Ah oh!
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...-may-have-torn-acl/ar-BBVfgxy?ocid=spartanntp

Possible Fleming enticement??

But then there is this:

Clemson has plenty of young talent at wide receiver
If Rodgers is sidelined for a long period of time, Clemson has plenty of talent with an opportunity to move up the depth chart.

Tigers head coach Dabo Swinney did not mention Rodgers’ injury when meeting with reporters Monday night, but did say freshmen early enrollees Joseph Ngata and Frank Ladson are “as ready as any freshmen we’ve had come through here.” With Clemson’s history of top-notch receivers — like first-round NFL draft choices Sammy Watkins, DeAndre Hopkins and Mike Williams — that’s a quite a statement from Swinney.

Clemson also returns Derion Kendrick (15 catches for 210 yards) and Cornell Powell (five catches for 63 yards) at receiver, though Kendrick has been seeing time on defense as well.

It has to represent a shift in where we are as a program, but I’m not too worried about where Flemming or Bresee go to school. That isn’t to say I wouldn’t take them both here in a heartbeat and be thrilled, but I feel like PSU is at a point where there are no “must have” recruits anyomore irrespective of where they live.

O$U didn’t collapse when Jackson Carman left the state for Clemson. The Liar just kept recruiting other talent. That’s where we are with Franklin. No one is a “savior.” We have talent everywhere and will relentlessly comb the nation (and sometimes Canada and Europe) to find it.

If you miss on an in-state stud and are able to fill that spot with someone just as good from, say, Florida, then great. Despite strong recruiting classes lately, we are not at a point where we can get anyone we want so getting the best within our immediate region is important.

PA athletes WANTING to represent Penn State by default is important.

Losing our stud local recruits to our immediate competition will give us problems. Look no further than Ohio State, they won a national championship in 2014 after raiding our cupboards following the 2011 shitstorm.

If you miss on an in-state stud and are able to fill that spot with someone just as good from, say, Florida, then great. Despite strong recruiting classes lately, we are not at a point where we can get anyone we want so getting the best within our immediate region is important.

PA athletes WANTING to represent Penn State by default is important.

Losing our stud local recruits to our immediate competition will give us problems. Look no further than Ohio State, they won a national championship in 2014 after raiding our cupboards following the 2011 shitstorm.

Most of the guys they raided weren't very good.

Reactions: TheGLOV and colt21
Most of the guys they raided weren't very good.

That’s true- it was frustrating and aggravating at the time, but I’m not sure any of the PSU commits they stole ended up being starters for them? Camren Williams, Reeves, Joey O’Conner, Tommy Schutt....

I guess Noah Spence started for them after he stopped considering us , but I don’t think he became a star at the college level (and at any rate he wasn’t committed to us before O$U as far as I know)

That’s true- it was frustrating and aggravating at the time, but I’m not sure any of the PSU commits they stole ended up being starters for them? Camren Williams, Reeves, Joey O’Conner, Tommy Schutt....

I guess Noah Spence started for them after he stopped considering us , but I don’t think he became a star at the college level (and at any rate he wasn’t committed to us before O$U as far as I know)

Spence was kicked out of OSU for drugs (not easy to do). He's a backup defensive lineman for the Bucs now.

https://bwi.rivals.com/news/penn-st...Ubxt0Qx3FlobJB5TDR2pDg9fQcAZ6kUTs_Eg4fbw4pNkk

Richland, N.J., defensive tackle Isaiah Raikes has three unofficial visits set for the next couple of weekends, one of which will be a return trip to Penn State.

The 6-foot-1, 310 pound interior prospect earned an offer from the Nittany Lions at the end of January, but even before that, he already had a relationship with defensive line coach Sean Spencer. That began last summer, when he attended the staff’s Whiteout Camp in June. Raikes then returned for the game against Ohio State in September.

“I’ve been talking to Coach Spencer and Coach Franklin basically everyday. We’ve been trying to set that visit up, so we’re now coming April 6th. Unfortunately, I can’t stay overnight because I have The Opening the next day, but I’m looking forward to getting back up there.”

“I’ve been up there a few times, but I haven’t been up there since I’ve been offered. So, I really just want to get a better understanding for where I stand. I want to know where I stand with them and what I can get out of a school like Penn State.”

Reactions: Delco Lion

Washington, D.C., Archbishop Carroll four-star lineman Anton Harrison, who last visited for the regular season finale against Maryland in November, will be back on campus Wednesday to see the coaches and facility while checking out the campus environment during this portion of the academic calendar.

It won’t hurt that he’ll get to see the team in action too, as the Lions have officially hit the halfway mark with the eighth installment of drills set to start later today either inside of Holuba Hall or outside on the Lasch Building practice fields.

Harrison, who stands 6-foot-5, 329 pounds and is the No. 18 tackle in the class and the No. 187 player overall, according to 247Sports’ Composite rankings, released a top-six earlier this month that featured the Lions alongside Michigan, Ohio State, Maryland, Mississippi, and Oklahoma in no particular order. He told 247Sports’ Brian Dohn late in 2018, however, that Penn State is very high on his list.

“Penn State is in the top three right now,” Harrison said. “It’s just something about them. I feel I have that connection with them, and it’s still growing as we communicate more and visit more.

"What stands out the most is that no matter how many times I go up to Penn State to visit, I always learn something new or get a new insight every single time.”

Reactions: bmw199

Washington, D.C., Archbishop Carroll four-star lineman Anton Harrison, who last visited for the regular season finale against Maryland in November, will be back on campus Wednesday to see the coaches and facility while checking out the campus environment during this portion of the academic calendar.

It won’t hurt that he’ll get to see the team in action too, as the Lions have officially hit the halfway mark with the eighth installment of drills set to start later today either inside of Holuba Hall or outside on the Lasch Building practice fields.

Harrison, who stands 6-foot-5, 329 pounds and is the No. 18 tackle in the class and the No. 187 player overall, according to 247Sports’ Composite rankings, released a top-six earlier this month that featured the Lions alongside Michigan, Ohio State, Maryland, Mississippi, and Oklahoma in no particular order. He told 247Sports’ Brian Dohn late in 2018, however, that Penn State is very high on his list.

“Penn State is in the top three right now,” Harrison said. “It’s just something about them. I feel I have that connection with them, and it’s still growing as we communicate more and visit more.

"What stands out the most is that no matter how many times I go up to Penn State to visit, I always learn something new or get a new insight every single time.”
An O-line class of Toutant, Parks, Carmody, Harrison, Zinter is a legit possibility. Would be stellar.

Ah oh!
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...-may-have-torn-acl/ar-BBVfgxy?ocid=spartanntp

Possible Fleming enticement??

But then there is this:

Clemson has plenty of young talent at wide receiver
If Rodgers is sidelined for a long period of time, Clemson has plenty of talent with an opportunity to move up the depth chart.

Tigers head coach Dabo Swinney did not mention Rodgers’ injury when meeting with reporters Monday night, but did say freshmen early enrollees Joseph Ngata and Frank Ladson are “as ready as any freshmen we’ve had come through here.” With Clemson’s history of top-notch receivers — like first-round NFL draft choices Sammy Watkins, DeAndre Hopkins and Mike Williams — that’s a quite a statement from Swinney.

Clemson also returns Derion Kendrick (15 catches for 210 yards) and Cornell Powell (five catches for 63 yards) at receiver, though Kendrick has been seeing time on defense as well.
Derion Kendrick has been CB and may play both ways. WR Rodgers suffered a ACL at Mondays practice.

That's interesting that Bresee is taking an official visit to Oklahoma, since Oklahoma was not one of his top 6 schools. When that happens, it is an example of a recruit wanting to "enjoy" and drag out the recruiting process, even though the recruit may already know where he is going to commit. I've also seen some social media speak where Bresee and Fleming may be announcing their commitments at the same time.

Smart man. He has no interest at all with OU. Going to just play the system. The top 6 were never his top 6, it was to keep his ranking high. He is only taking the visit that day because JF wanting him on a 1 v 1 instead of BW.

Reactions: bmw199 and TheGLOV
Smart man. He has no interest at all with OU. Going to just play the system. The top 6 were never his top 6, it was to keep his ranking high. He is only taking the visit that day because JF wanting him on a 1 v 1 instead of BW.
Do you know his top 6?

OSU 5* offensive line verbal visiting other schools, posting about it, mixing it up with current and former OSU players on twitter....He's going back to a 2nd visit to Georgia with his family and retweeting/liking the dozens of “pull his scholarship” messages OSU fans direct at him everyday. The adults (of any school) who tweet at high school recruits and think they are going to "set them straight" or improve the situation in any measurable way are among the dumbest people on the planet.

Last edited:
OSU 5* offensive line verbal visiting other schools, posting about it, mixing it up with current and former OSU players on twitter....He's going back to a 2nd visit to Georgia with his family and retweeting/liking the dozens of “pull his scholarship” messages OSU fans direct at him everyday. The adults (of any school) who tweet at high school recruits and think they are going to "set them straight" or improve the situation in any measurable way are among the dumbest people on the planet.

I agree Judge. I've never understood why grown adults think they need to tweet high school students. Shouldn't judge them ever...

Don’t worry Clemson was on it.

Michigan on the hand...well, someone thought it should be, but that person doesn’t play high school football

Another smart man. There is a reason it was 'top 6' and not 'top 5' or really a 'top 3'. The top 3 are who everyone already knows. Bama is 4 and OU gets the 5th official visit. OSU has dropped way off. There is a reason specific schools are getting their officials in the summer too.

Another smart man. There is a reason it was 'top 6' and not 'top 5' or really a 'top 3'. The top 3 are who everyone already knows. Bama is 4 and OU gets the 5th official visit. OSU has dropped way off. There is a reason specific schools are getting their officials in the summer too.

Just out of curiosity, based on what you have seen and heard in regards to Bresee, what does he like about Penn State as compared to Clemson and Georgia? Meaning, what would give Penn State the edge over those two schools?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT