ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Recruiting Class Thread

I might be totally out of whack here, but I don't see losing a 5-star WR as so catastrophic. In fact, I'd rank the WR position below DT, DE, CB, QB, LB, OL, and S as far as "must get" players. {Note: I admit to my obvious "old school bias, here.]

James Franklin will recruit a tall, fast, agile WR who likely will be ranked lower than Fleming but who could still catch the critical 3rd-down pass to move the chains. And few WRs are "every-down" guys anyway.

I am not saying that I won't be happy should Fleming sign with PSU, but I will not be as disappointed as I would if we lost the #1 DT from our prime area. I remember how bummed I was when Rashan Gary signed with the Evil Empire ... but the Penn State DL still had more sacks even w/o him.

If we could only get 1 between Fleming and Bresee, I'd prefer the latter.
Yes, and I may be simply trying to rationalize this, but I think the fact that he is older than just about every other high school player out there may have something to do with his success. Once he’s not the oldest player out there, he may seem more ordinary.

Reactions: Judge Smails
Speaking of Farrell...

5-Star Leans
WR Julian Fleming - He’s going to take his time I’m sure but Penn State has the best comfort level with him right now.

LB Antoine Sampah - Penn State is my pick as his leader after Clemson held an early edge.

LINK for more.

Maybe your guesses from February were a little off. . .
I’ll throw out some guesses - just current 5-stars from the composite that we currently are recruiting:

Tyree - 75%
Fleming - 60%
Bresee - 10%
Washington - 10%
Lloyd - 5%
Sampah - 0%
Jarrett - 0%
Sherman - 0%

Reactions: bmw199
Maybe your guesses from February were a little off. . .

Definitely didn't expect to see Sampah considered a lean to the good guys. From the composite, if we pulled Fleming, Sampah, and Tyree I'd be ecstatic. Although the CBs have gotten a bit cloudy on Tyree lately. I guess this just shows how meaningless fan predictions in March tend to be.

It's gotta drive Franklin a little nuts that Wingo is receiving new offers on a weekly basis. Even if Wingo is a solid commit (which it certainly seems like), CJF doesn't like his players keeping their recruiting "open" after committing.

It's gotta drive Franklin a little nuts that Wingo is receiving new offers on a weekly basis. Even if Wingo is a solid commit (which it certainly seems like), CJF doesn't like his players keeping their recruiting "open" after committing.

I don’t think getting offers is keeping their recruiting “open”. It’s another story if he starts taking visits.

https://247sports.com/college/penn-...ZsAKOL3JOeJ7UZyvepfXBIF6z_RHHQKhD0PQBHBF6hK-M

iu

For the third consecutive year, a future Penn State linebacker is set to participate in the All-American Bowl. This became known last week when Derek Wingo announced plans to play in the annual showcase and, on Wednesday night, Curtis Jacobs made it a tandem endeavor.

"It’s gonna be great playing with my guy," Jacobs told Lions247 after accepting an All-American Bowl invitation.

The 6-foot-2, 220-pound McDonogh School (Owings Mills, Md.) junior is considered Penn State's top-rated commit in 247Sports 2020 composite recruit rankings. Jacobs is listed fourth among outside linebackers and 101st overall.

Wingo, who delivered his verbal pledge to the Nittany Lions last Christmas, lands at 10th among outside linebackers. The 6-2, 215-pound athlete is No. 135 overall.

Still nine months shy of the early signing period, this duo stands out as Penn State builds its 2020 recruiting class.

"We are gonna shock the world when we get together on the defensive side of the ball," Jacobs said

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
The visits are really picking up now that spring practice started. I think there was some discouragement here over Bresee seemingly leaning to Clemson and then Fleming reiterating that he isn't a lock to stay in PA. Here we are though with a 5* on campus this weekend and building an impressive list of 4 stars coming in. Even Farrell just published something having a 5* moving back toward us after Clemson was thought to be the leader in Sampah. These things can and almost always do change.

I still actually feel good about both Bresee and Fleming. Even if there is a commitment by one that isn't to PSU we know Franklin isn't going to quit. With Bresee, I'll say that his Dad's PSU gear is way more worn than any of the other colleges. I think in the end Franklin's relationship and Parson's role in his recruitment will really help pull Fleming back in.

The visits are really picking up now that spring practice started. I think there was some discouragement here over Bresee seemingly leaning to Clemson and then Fleming reiterating that he isn't a lock to stay in PA. Here we are though with a 5* on campus this weekend and building an impressive list of 4 stars coming in. Even Farrell just published something having a 5* moving back toward us after Clemson was thought to be the leader in Sampah. These things can and almost always do change.

I still actually feel good about both Bresee and Fleming. Even if there is a commitment by one that isn't to PSU we know Franklin isn't going to quit. With Bresee, I'll say that his Dad's PSU gear is way more worn than any of the other colleges. I think in the end Franklin's relationship and Parson's role in his recruitment will really help pull Fleming back in.

Agree....

Reactions: bmw199

Reactions: TheGLOV
ADVERTISEMENT