ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Recruiting Class Thread

Future 5* Julian Fleming:

2020 offer Julian Fleming a longtime follower of Penn State football
It’s easy to sense the excitement in Julian Fleming’s voice when he discusses his latest scholarship offer. The standout 2020 Pennsylvania receiver added Penn State to his list Saturday, making plenty of family members happy.

“Pretty much everyone in my family is a Penn State fan,” he said.

Fleming, a 6-foot-3, 180-pound rising sophomore at Southern Columbia High School, typically attends multiple Nittany Lions games each season. His next trip to Beaver Stadium should feel a bit different, as he is officially now a recruiting target of the team.

Fleming picked up a Penn State offer shortly before the start of an expansive 7-on-7 tournament in State College. He completed combine drills for the Nittany Lions staff, finishing the 40-yard dash in 4.58 seconds and logging a 32-inch vertical leap.

Coach James Franklin revealed the team’s intentions afterward. Then, in a move that impressed the coveted underclassman, Franklin called Fleming’s mother to personally share his decision.

“I was so excited, and my mom was even more excited,” Fleming said. “It’s definitely special to get an offer in person from the head coach like that.”

His list of collegiate opportunities continues to grow. Michigan was the first program to extend an offer on March 13 and Connecticut, Michigan State, Rutgers, Syracuse and West Virginia have since entered the mix.

Fleming admits it’s all been a pleasant surprise.

“I didn’t expect to have any offers, honestly,” he said. “I didn’t think my freshman season was that amazing, and I feel like I can do a lot better.”

Fleming had 36 receptions for 956 yards and 13 touchdowns in 2016, according to MaxPreps. He averaged 26.6 yards per reception, displaying a rare bend of size, speed and coordination at his age.

Penn State became the fourth Big Ten program to recognize him as an early priority in the 2020 recruiting cycle. He carries 5-star potential and is the most impressive freshman prospect I’ve seen in person this year.

“I’m pretty physical as a receiver,” Fleming said. “I’ll block for my running back and quarterback downfield, and I like to fight for extra yards. I’m not going to try to juke everyone out. I’ll put my head down if I have to.”

His athletic success extends beyond the football field, as he quickly became a name to know at Southern Columbia.

Fleming qualified in four events at the Pennsylvania spring track and field championships. Earlier in the school year, he led the basketball team in scoring and rebounding.

“Jumping up for rebounds and changing directions on the court contributes to what I do in football, and it’s the same with track since I’m developing explosiveness and a quick start,” Fleming said.

He explained that his experience Saturday puts Penn State very high on his list of universities moving forward.

“It really stands out, especially with the coaches,” Fleming said. “They went way out of their way Saturday just to spend time with my family, bring players over for pictures, and drive me to games on their golf cart. It was a great experience. Penn State is one the top schools right now and I can’t thank them enough for what they did for me.”

He met Nittany Lions receivers coach Josh Gattis for the first time Saturday, though they previously spoke on the phone.

“He’s someone that I need to get to know,” Fleming said. “He would make me a lot better as a person and as a player.”

Gattis, Franklin and other Penn State assistants spent a portion of the day observing him in action. He helped lead Southern Columbia to the quarterfinals in a tournament that featured 55 teams.

“That made me want to make an immediate impact on the field,” Fleming said. “I wanted to show them I have more than all the combine testing numbers. It was important to catch all the balls my quarterback put up there for me, be a leader and help my team in any way possible.”

Fleming will return to State College before the next recruiting “dead period” begins June 26. Connecticut and Syracuse are also possible destinations in the coming week.

Fleming has plans to visit three FBS games this season. He will accept game-day invitations to Penn State, Pittsburgh and West Virginia.

Reactions: TheGLOV and LionJim
Future 5* Mekhail Sherman:

DE Mekhail Sherman
Through just one high school football season, the verdict is already out regarding Sherman. This is an athletic specimen with an incredibly high ceiling.

“He is such a freakishly good athlete that when he steps on the field he is going to make a huge impact,” Johnson said.

Robinson echoed the adulation.

“He’s 6-3, 225 pounds, and runs a 4.6, maybe a high 4.5 [40-yard dash] as a freshman,” Robinson said. “He has all the athletic tools that college coaches love. He’s so young and has so much potential. That’s why all these schools are already recruiting him.”

Sherman primarily played outside linebacker as a freshman, though he also occasionally lined up at running back. Penn State linebackers coach Brent Pry kept a close eye on him Friday, and Sherman said that position is his probable landing spot in Happy Valley.

Sherman enjoyed his time with Franklin.

“He’s a really chill, cool coach,” Sherman said. “In the meeting, it was mostly jokes that helped ease me. When I first stepped in the office, I was quite nervous to be in the same room with him.”

After breaking the ice, focus shifted to his size and ability.

“If he had the chance, Coach Franklin said he would have me play [for Penn State] this year,” Sherman said.

The Nittany Lions already have welcomed him to campus multiple times. He attended the team’s Oct. 8 victory over Maryland last year, and returned earlier this year for a junior day event.

Sherman grows more fond of the program with each trip.

“The environment is amazing and I would love to play in [Beaver Stadium],” he said. “Fans keep the team encouraged even when it’s down. They never let up, and just keep on yelling ‘We Are. We Are.’ It’s a wonderful environment.”

Sherman, who hopes to return for a game this season, also pointed to an eye-opening experience with Pry as cause for increased excitement about Penn State.

“We only spent a short 45-minute practice together but I learned so much from Coach Pry,” he said. “I picked up so many tips. It was amazing.”

Sherman arrived on campus Friday already carrying offers from Maryland and North Carolina. He added another offer during the weekend while visiting Syracuse.

It wouldn’t surprise to see him suit up for his first game as a sophomore with a double-digit offer list. Sherman should be a blue-chip linebacker when recruiting rankings are revealed for the 2020 class.

“I can close down space in a hurry between the running back and me,” he said. “I would rate my pass coverage against tight ends or running backs as a 7 or 8 [out of 10]. Even though I’m getting these offers as a freshman, I need to stay humble and keep working.”

Robinson, who will spend the next two years working against Sherman throughout each practice, praised the immeasurable aspects of the young defender’s approach.

“He’s also a very smart player,” Robinson said. “He makes the right reads and attacks the football. He’s also relentless in his pursuit to the ball. He’ll be a great player for us this year. Once he fully understands everything 100 percent, he’ll be a beast on the field.”

Barkley... that name sounds familiar:

Expectations are immense for Penn State running back Saquon Barkley entering his junior season. Heisman Trophy contention and potential top-10 NFL draft status are swirling around the Nittany Lions standout, so needless to say there are large shoes to fill for his younger brother on the football field.

Ali Barkley, who attends the same school (Whitehall High in Pennsylvania) where Saquon starred, displayed athletic promise Saturday. Just midway through his prep career, this 2020 prospect is attempting to break through as an impact varsity player this autumn.

Standing 5-11 as a rising sophomore, Ali looks to be approaching the 170-pound range right now. He’s pretty well-built for his age and carries potential at running back and linebacker.

Saquon didn’t start to shine as a top-tier prospect until his junior season, and Ali may also need some time to develop. For now, it was interesting to see him compete with a backdrop of Beaver Stadium, where his brother aims to leave a legendary mark in 2017.

Reactions: JoeFi and TheGLOV
Again, Wiltfong from his podcast...

Penn State is hosting 3 of the 247 Top 5 overall 2020 recruits on Saturday. Brian Bresee is the #1 overall recruit right now, strong side defensive end.

Embed
4_7501464.jpg

Bryan Bresee

Damascus, MD (Damascus)

Strong-Side Defensive End

• Ht 6-4
  • Wt 260
  • CLASS OF 20

Chris Tyree, PSU had at camp, Wiltfong loves where we sit with him.

And Julian Fleming, the #1 WR in the country, at this early date.

DCkNmJVXgAEahSt.jpg

Again, Wiltfong from his podcast...

Penn State is hosting 3 of the 247 Top 5 overall 2020 recruits on Saturday. Brian Bresee is the #1 overall recruit right now, strong side defensive end.

Embed
4_7501464.jpg

Bryan Bresee

Damascus, MD (Damascus)

Strong-Side Defensive End

• Ht 6-4
  • Wt 260
  • CLASS OF 20

Chris Tyree, PSU had at camp, Wiltfong loves where we sit with him.

And Julian Fleming, the #1 WR in the country, at this early date.

DCkNmJVXgAEahSt.jpg
They have a legit shot at 1(Bresee),4(Tyree),5(Fleming),30(Mullings),51(Sherman),52(Williams),74(Pyne),94(Berger) and you could throw in 2(Pyne),7(Cowan),8(Flowe) with less confidence too.
Could be an unbelievable class.

Last edited:
This, ladies and gentlemen, is why you hope to have a night game on the schedule early in the season - these elite kids weren't here last week for what was objectively a bigger football game, but the night game puts them over the edge and gets them to State College this weekend and not anywhere else.

Reactions: GregInPitt
https://www.landof10.com/penn-state...julian-fleming-devyn-ford-will-visit-saturday

Penn State set to host two top-5 prospects in 2020 class Saturday

The game Saturday against Georgia State may not be the marquee matchup of Penn State’s 2017 schedule, but it’s shaping up to be a major recruiting event. There are several developments to discuss in our notebook, but let’s begin with news regarding the youngest Nittany Lions targets.

Penn State is set to host receiver Julian Fleming and running back Chris Tyree — two of the top-5 overall recruits in 247Sports 2020 rankings — this weekend. Both players shared their travel plans this week during discussions with Land of 10.

Fleming, an in-state standout at Southern Columbia (Catawissa, Pa.), will attend his first game as an official Nittany Lions target. However, he’s been to Beaver Stadium several times in the past.

“Pretty much everyone in my family is a Penn State fan,” said Fleming, who will make the trip with his mother and maybe an aunt.

The 6-foot-2, 180-pound prospect earned a scholarship offer from Penn State coach James Franklin while on campus June 17 for a 7-on-7 tournament. He returned to State College on July 15 for Lasch Bash festivities, and projects as one of the most impressive players to develop in Pennsylvania this decade.

Fleming, who qualified for four events in the state track and field championships as a freshman, quickly burst onto the college football recruiting scene with 956 receiving yards and 15 total touchdowns in his debut season, according to MaxPreps. Now through three games as a sophomore, he has 13 receptions for 292 yards and 6 touchdowns.

“I want to top every game from last year, improve on each of those performances,” Fleming said.

A few weeks ago, Fleming told me he hoped to visit Penn State for the team’s Oct. 21 matchup with Michigan. This is no longer the case, as Fleming explained he is “almost 100 percent” certain he will attend the Notre Dame-USC game in South Bend, Ind., that day.

Penn State prioritized Fleming early and he would become a monumental building block for the 2020 class if he opts to commit early.

“I’ve built a pretty strong relationship with Coach Franklin,” he said. “He’s a really nice guy and you can tell he really cares about all his players and winning big games.”

Tyree, listed one spot ahead of Fleming at No. 4 overall in 247Sports rankings, will travel from Virginia alongside his parents. Considered the nation’s premier running back prospect among high school sophomores, he landed more than a dozen scholarship offers by the end of his freshman year.

The 5-10, 172-pound playmaker posted 40-yard dash times of 4.44 and 4.46 seconds during a June 11 camp at Penn State, where he secured a Nittany Lions offer.

“[Franklin] told me it’s going to be hard to say ‘no’ because of how much interest they’ll be showing me,” Tyree said.

He’ll likely pay close attention to star Penn State running back Saquon Barkley on special teams. Tyree views his kick return abilities as a major asset, and it seems to be something he wants to do in college.

Tyree and Penn State running backs coach/special teams coordinator Charles Huff have already established a solid rapport.

“I’ve been talking to Coach Huff probably more than anybody else,” he said. “I feel like he’s a really cool, down-to-earth person, but when it’s time to work he’ll push you. I saw that when I went to camp for just one day, and I think that’s why the running backs there are so successful.”

Tyree started his sophomore season with a 197-yard, 2-touchdown performance on 7 carries, according to MaxPreps

Reactions: TheGLOV and bmw199
See above link. Bryce Young's sophomore highlights are off the hook! Elusive. Accurate. Throwing pinpoint strikes for forty yard TDs while sprinting! Says he has relatives in PA. Hope CJF is all over this kid.

I believe Fleming, WR from Southern Columbia, is having hip surgery, and is done for B ball season

that's correct. From a Press Enterprise article:

Southern Columbia's Julian Fleming won football player of the year in his class, despite playing on only one good leg. A surgery will keep him out of basketball and track, he says. But he hopes to be back for next football season. "I’m certainly anxious to see how he plays without the hip injury," his coach said.

Unfortunately, the rest of the article, which was published in Dec. 2017, is behind the Press Enterprise's paywall.

Reactions: bmw199 and TheGLOV
Julian Fleming -- saw he played b ball Friday night, had 19 points. Thought he was having hip surgery?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT