ADVERTISEMENT

2020 B1G Tournament Session IV Thread

GS had both his legs long before he grabbed (more accurately reached out and put hands on scorer's table to brace his fall - actually keep him from going down). The takedown should have been awarded as the defensive wrestler is not permitted to use OB to avoid a TD (i.e., Offensive wrestler only needs both ankles to be awarded TD in that situation which GS clearly had long before Parris is anywhere near table and grabs it as he is taking himself OB to avoid TD). Terrible call imho - GS should have been awarded a TD as the table had zero to do with restricting Parris' ability to wrestle and Parris was voluntarily taking himself OB (i.e., into the table - reached out for it as a matter of fact AFTER GS has collected both ankles in-bounds) in a blatant attempt to use OB to avoid giving up TD. Rules clearly state GS should have been awarded 2 in that situation.
The right call was made

Love this tourney. Year after year, the best wrestling in the country. There are a few clearly dominant wrestlers, but mostly guys that are fairly evenly matched. Kids have to fight for every point.
As far as the Lions, mixed results, but now the minor tweaks are made, and the real March peaking happens. Team surely is hurting a bit, and that’s healthy. Plenty to build on.

The right call was made

No.... no it wasn't. GS clearly has collected both legs, was squarely behind Parris and was well in bounds BEFORE Parris VOLUNTARILY takes himself out of bounds and into the table (again, he very clearly reached out with both arms and grabs table AFTER GS, who is still well in-bounds, has both his legs. Very clearly a TD under rulebook as Parris intentionally took himself into table in an attempt to avoid being taken down.).

Last edited:
I missed the Young match, but it looks like he might want to stay off bottom against Seabass. That might not be a bad thing since I think Young best position is his feet.
Lee needs to finish on a couple of those singles. Ideally he gets top in 2nd and gets to grind Pletcher a little.
Joseph just missed 4 different times on scoring against Alex. 2 times on doubles, once on the throw and once he almost caught Marrinell arm on the mat. If he gets 4 chances again I think it ends up differently.
Hall is just smart and smooth. He just got caught up in the emotion of that dual. Don't get me wrong Kemmerer is real good.
Brooks is just technically so good as a Freshman. I just think he will have to be careful against someone that wants to hit a throw. I think he has skills to out wrestle most guys.

Did Steveson actually wrestle hard for once this time?

I was pretty unimpressed after he sleep walked his way through that match at Iowa.

I missed the Young match, but it looks like he might want to stay off bottom against Seabass. That might not be a bad thing since I think Young best position is his feet.
Lee needs to finish on a couple of those singles. Ideally he gets top in 2nd and gets to grind Pletcher a little.
Joseph just missed 4 different times on scoring against Alex. 2 times on doubles, once on the throw and once he almost caught Marrinell arm on the mat. If he gets 4 chances again I think it ends up differently.
Hall is just smart and smooth. He just got caught up in the emotion of that dual. Don't get me wrong Kemmerer is real good.
Brooks is just technically so good as a Freshman. I just think he will have to be careful against someone that wants to hit a throw. I think he has skills to out wrestle most guys.
Seriously, we could have 5 National Champs. Or Zero.

No sure things this year, which is a change after Ruth, Taylor, Zain, Nolf, and Bo. At the same time, none of the 5 guys we saw today should be written off as title contenders.

When did Kaleb Young wrestle Seabass ?

I kid I kid, great analysis.

I thought that the difference this time was that Pletcher got the jump every time and Nick could not ride him.

agree that was the biggest difference in the two matches ..Pletcheer was super quick with his initial move preventing N from getting any ride at all .. Nick cleans that up and it’ll be a different match

Did Steveson actually wrestle hard for once this time?

I was pretty unimpressed after he slept walked his way through that match at Iowa.
I bet Cassioppi didn’t feel like Gable slept walk as he kept driving him to the mat on those double legs.

Reactions: PASLP2
This. I don't root for Hawkeyes ever. I'll congratulate them for winning but I'm not rooting for any Hawkeye pa boy or not

I'll always cheer for Iowa against Brutus. Ohio State is the real enemy. To quote Sinead O'Connor, "Fight the real enemy."

Reactions: garw
I bet Cassioppi didn’t feel like Gable slept walk as he kept driving him to the mat on those double legs.

That's what I'm saying! My point is that Gable could have steam rolled Cass if he had wanted to! Not getting bonus was sad.

All due respect to his incredible athletic ability and skill, but I'll admit to being sour that that guy is #1 instead of the people's champ, Anthony bleeping Cassar.

Last edited:
Its been real guys. Think I'll head over to HR and listen to them bitch that Spencer isnt OW...
Some are , some aren't. I'm a Hawk and I agree with Rivera. 33 was a gauntlet. Any of these guys in the top four can beat the other on a given night.
If Spence wins the title this year and doesn't win the Hodge, then I would be pissed.

Question Ryan Deakin: So, Ryan 6th two years ago, 5th last year. Top of the podium this year. What was the difference? A: So glad that Jason Nolf graduated!
Part of the business, I'm sure many were glad to see Zain, Nolf, Taylor, Dake, etc.. graduate. Any 25' s be glad to see Spence graduate?
As the world turns.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Sat in the second row by mat 1. Had a great close up view. It was very interesting to see how each of the different refs dealt with stalling. While many called it rarely, and when they did it was in the last 30 seconds of the match, there was one who called it much more commonly and really kept the guys wrestling instead of dancing around.
Many top wrestlers seemed to do nothing the try to get a turn, and yet stalling almost always called on the bottom wrestler, even when totally tied up by legs and a two on one. I don't understand that at all.
Many fabulous matches, and not always the most highly ranked wrestlers. Overall, a great experience (first big ten tourney).
Although small, all the seats seemed to have good views.
Even the traffic was not bad.

Sat in the second row by mat 1. Had a great close up view. It was very interesting to see how each of the different refs dealt with stalling. While many called it rarely, and when they did it was in the last 30 seconds of the match, there was one who called it much more commonly and really kept the guys wrestling instead of dancing around.
Many top wrestlers seemed to do nothing the try to get a turn, and yet stalling almost always called on the bottom wrestler, even when totally tied up by legs and a two on one. I don't understand that at all.
Many fabulous matches, and not always the most highly ranked wrestlers. Overall, a great experience (first big ten tourney).
Although small, all the seats seemed to have good views.
Even the traffic was not bad.
I agree with your observation about stalling. The Spence Lee match was a good example. The kid is a fantastic wrestler but he rode parallel on top the entire match. Never once moving to the side or working for a pinning combination. Really stifles the opportunity for action from the bottom man.

"I’m all happy everyone has parents but do we really have to see every one?"

Parents that sweat and save to get their kids to this level aren't anywhere nearly as annoying as having BTN fawning over Marinelli's wife every match.

Reactions: Lyons212
Tough day for the team. 2-4 isn’t what we or the team are accustomed to. Congrats to the Mark and Aaron on their championships...well earned!

one thing that’s been a little frustrating to watch is our bottom wrestling. We seem to be gravitating to a methodical quad pod strategy, which has been allowing the top guys to hang on to us and keep us on the mat. While I understand this approach, I don’t understand why we don’t have more explosive starts off bottom, at least mix it up. For instance RBY, needs to get out against SeaBass and uses the quad pod approach repeatedly and gets ridden. Why not use his greatest assets, his speed and explosiveness. Why the repeated slow build from bottom? I just don’t understand the thought process there.

Not knocking any if the kids’ efforts, just questioning the game planning a little.

I agree with your observation about stalling. The Spence Lee match was a good example. The kid is a fantastic wrestler but he rode parallel on top the entire match. Never once moving to the side or working for a pinning combination. Really stifles the opportunity for action from the bottom man.

For most guys Id say yes, Spencer scores 95% of his backs from a parallel ride.

Speaking of that situation, my youngest got hit for stalling for riding parallel after his second sets of backs on an Easton tilt yesterday. He let go and ran it again for a first period tech. Then proceeded to stare down the ref at regionals. I had to have a talk with the young man on the way home.He's 11 and getting a little to big for his britches. I need to get him back to PA to get his ass kicked a few times to humble him a little.

Tough day for the team. 2-4 isn’t what we or the team are accustomed to. Congrats to the Mark and Aaron on their championships...well earned!

one thing that’s been a little frustrating to watch is our bottom wrestling. We seem to be gravitating to a methodical quad pod strategy, which has been allowing the top guys to hang on to us and keep us on the mat. While I understand this approach, I don’t understand why we don’t have more explosive starts off bottom, at least mix it up. For instance RBY, needs to get out against SeaBass and uses the quad pod approach repeatedly and gets ridden. Why not use his greatest assets, his speed and explosiveness. Why the repeated slow build from bottom? I just don’t understand the thought process there.

Not knocking any if the kids’ efforts, just questioning the game planning a little.
2-5

No.... no it wasn't. GS clearly has collected both legs, was squarely behind Parris and was well in bounds BEFORE Parris VOLUNTARILY takes himself out of bounds and into the table (again, he very clearly reached out with both arms and grabs table AFTER GS, who is still well in-bounds, has both his legs. Very clearly a TD under rulebook as Parris intentionally took himself into table in an attempt to avoid being taken down.).
Clearly you are wrong as the judges and refs said otherwise.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT