ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Class Thread

What Alabama has done is an anomaly in comparison to the beginning of the 85 scholarship rule. 7 straight #1 recruiting classes, all the National titles. Closest comparison would be Miami's run from the 80s to mid 90s. Ironically, sanctions followed such success.

Ohio State's run is very similar to Florida State's run from '89-'01. Always near the top, seem to drop a game that keeps them out of the title picture, but have a title under their belt.

We are currently recruiting at a very high level. Our game with OSU is going to decide the Big10 east 8 of 10 years going forward at the current clip.

10 players from Alabama's #1 rated 2015 class have transferred.

Pro Football Focus rated Gonzo as the best guard in the Big Ten. Most of Barkley's yards were behind Gonzo, and he is one of the best pass blockers in the country. Gonzo is grossly underrated by most Penn State fans.

The problem with Gonzo is, he's either really really good, or really really bad, and it varies from play to play. But your son seems like a fine young man.

The problem with Gonzo is, he's either really really good, or really really bad, and it varies from play to play. But your son seems like a fine young man.
He has way more good plays than bad. People just remember his whiffs in space, especially the one vs Iowa, but there really aren’t that many of those, they are just the ones that stick out.

I would think only Bates would go in the first four rounds next year with Gonzo and McGovern probably UFAs. Plus Olinemen rarely turn pro early unless they’re a first or second round pick. So yeah that is more than a little crazy.

McGovern is highly regarded in many circles.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Post their respective offer lists.

OK, lets get this over with and move on.....

MATHIS (oh-high-ya commit):

MJ Jr (PSU Target):

I don't know how they come up with their scoring system, but I'm admittedly a bit shocked that we're ranked so low (behind South Carolina, Old Miss, Miss. State, and Tennessee). Is it that we have fewer recruits total? Our average point rating (I assume per recruit) is better than 14 teams ranked ahead of us (behind only Alabama, OSU, Georgia, and Oklahoma).

OK, lets get this over with and move on.....

MATHIS (oh-high-ya commit):

MJ Jr (PSU Target):

Thanks GregInPitt. Appreciate your efforts.
Wasn’t questioning Smails’ comment.
He was of course correct.

Just looked up the other info and posted it FWIW. By most measures, MJ Jr is more highly ranked.

Agree that the offers list is often a very important indicator. Obviously it reflects the decisions of the highly paid professional coaching staffs, whose jobs require they optimize their evaluations and offers, so their commits will be the best possible fits with their programs. .

Nice post GregInPitt. Thanks again!

Reactions: TheGLOV and psu2016
I don't know how they come up with their scoring system, but I'm admittedly a bit shocked that we're ranked so low (behind South Carolina, Old Miss, Miss. State, and Tennessee). Is it that we have fewer recruits total? Our average point rating (I assume per recruit) is better than 14 teams ranked ahead of us (behind only Alabama, OSU, Georgia, and Oklahoma).

Yeah, not a concern. Ranking is just a total score; each recruits ranking totaled. We're in very good shape with our class. You want a high average recruit ranking much more than the total score at this point. Michigan has filled up with a ton of 3 star guys, thus the high ranking.

tumblr_p7uf9wn7T11uyg4r8o2_540.gif

They tend to rank total team points. So you can run up your total team points with more verbals, even if they are lower ranked recruits. Ie Mich this year.

Each recruiting evaluation group has their own formulas. Rivals caps their evaluations with the Top 20 players for each team, to limit higher team totals, by padding the number of verbals.

247 uses a players’ rank in their Top 250 List, on a sliding scale. Plus they have a point system with the best players getting a 6.1 rating and then it drops down, 6.0, 5.9 etc, down to about 5.2 iirc.

So, while the STAR ratings provide some info, the services have ways to try to differentiate between different 4-Stars, different 3-Stars, etc.

For example, one team could have the top ten 4-Stars, who might all be Top 100, nationally ranked just below the 5-Stars, from say #31 to #40. While another team could have ten 4-Stars who are at the bottom of the 4-Star list, just above the 3-Stars.

So Star rankings are helpful. 4-Stars are all considered very talented, desirable impact players. But getting the best 4-Stars is better, if the rankings were accurate at that level, which of course they aren’t.

This is generally why many of us, like Judge Smails, also look at the schools who offer. That’s the coaches’ bread-and-butter. They have to get it as right as they can. That’s why they are getting the big bucks, to recruit the big bucks! ;)

Not trying to bash Pickel (I think he’s fine) but in his article this morning he says Wormley is a 3 star. Both Rivals and 247 show him as a 4 star. Am I missing something?

They ended up landing him, but once again Harbaugh and Michigan f*ed up recruiting a kid. They have the most unorganized recruiting department I've ever seen. Attention Michigan bros.....the structure and organization of your football department falls under the job description of your head coach (that you like to tout over James Franklin).

“After the camp, I didn’t really hear from Michigan because their offensive coordinator (Tim Drevno) was going a different route with running backs,” Gray said, calling his early interaction with Michigan weird. “Once he left (for USC), they started coming back. I didn’t think I wanted to go to Michigan because they used to not talk to me. I almost didn’t take the official."

Reactions: TheGLOV and ELDADDY

Just looked up the other info and posted it FWIW. By most measures, MJ Jr is more highly ranked.

Agree that the offers list is often a very important indicator. Obviously it reflects the decisions of the highly paid professional coaching staffs, whose jobs require they optimize their evaluations and offers, so their commits will be the best possible fits with their programs. .

Your are welcome. But it seems to me that we here at times try and read too much into the rankings. Players, especially QB's, end up as products of the system they play in. Urban recruits (and wins with) QB's that some other programs would not recruit as QB's. And Urban does not recruit some QB's that other top programs are all over. If ever there was a QB coming out of H.S. that fit a certain type of system it was/is Trace. But back when he was being recruited CJF did not have the profile he does now, so would CJF have even recruited Trace if Trace was coming out this year? Who knows. Just too many variable to try and make statements about QB's especially being a fit for a program of programs.

Sure, a top RB can excel in any system. As can a top pass rusher. QB's, many more things to project.....

Reactions: Option Bob and T J

I don't know but Mathis committed to MSU way back in Sep. 2017. It appears that he really wanted OSU to offer. Could it be that others didn't bother to recruit him and offer him when (a) he was already committed and may have told teams he was committed and/or (b) others knew that either he was going to stay with MSU or go to OSU if offered. In other words, MJ Jr. is uncommitted and garners more offers. If you look at Robeson offer list, you can argue it is not as impressive as MJ Jr. or that impressive either aside from OSU (who may preferred Mathis). Like Mathis, Robeson has been a long-time verbal to PSU and it is possible that others backed off him.

Your are welcome. But it seems to me that we here at times try and read too much into the rankings. Players, especially QB's, end up as products of the system they play in. Urban recruits (and wins with) QB's that some other programs would not recruit as QB's. And Urban does not recruit some QB's that other top programs are all over. If ever there was a QB coming out of H.S. that fit a certain type of system it was/is Trace. But back when he was being recruited CJF did not have the profile he does now, so would CJF have even recruited Trace if Trace was coming out this year? Who knows. Just too many variable to try and make statements about QB's especially being a fit for a program of programs.

Sure, a top RB can excel in any system. As can a top pass rusher. QB's, many more things to project.....
The record for 5* QBs the last 4-5 years is dreadful. It could be systems, it could be the online evaluators are just really bad at evaluating QBs.

The record for 5* QBs the last 4-5 years is dreadful. It could be systems, it could be the online evaluators are just really bad at evaluating QBs.

I think QB and OL are the two toughest to evaluate. QB's can have strong accurate arms. But you can't tell if they can make the correct reads until you get them on campus and put them up against an actual college defense. A lot of 5 star QBs fail for this reason. OL's are usually the biggest dudes on the team and are often pushing around guys 70 pounds lighter who won't even get to play division 3 ball in college. You can go down the list of high 4 and 5 star OLs that didn't pan out at Penn State.

I think QB and OL are the two toughest to evaluate. QB's can have strong accurate arms. But you can't tell if they can make the correct reads until you get them on campus and put them up against an actual college defense. A lot of 5 star QBs fail for this reason. OL's are usually the biggest dudes on the team and are often pushing around guys 70 pounds lighter who won't even get to play division 3 ball in college. You can go down the list of high 4 and 5 star OLs that didn't pan out at Penn State.

It’s intelligence. The only two positions in football where you can’t mask a lack of intelligence with an over abundance of athleticism is OL and QB.

Lots of good points being made. No guarantees and lots of factors involved.

In addition, some rankings are based upon potential. Results vary. Some recruits don’t develop and some regress when faced with the challenges of being a student athlete at the college level.

Fortunately, it appears that CJF and staff have some good evaluation strengths, while they look for student/athletes who can thrive, when matched with the targeted and upgraded academic and athletic support systems at Penn State.

Kudos to CJF, his coaches and the entire staff, for helping to optimize facilities and an environment at Penn State for players’ academic and athletic successes!

It’s intelligence. The only two positions in football where you can’t mask a lack of intelligence with an over abundance of athleticism is OL and QB.

This is true, but just being intelligent isn't enough. There is an undefined "it" factor that seems to make a QB. OL seem to require a certain combination of brains, brawn, athleticism and aggressiveness. In both cases, I think it's difficult to project from one level to the next.

I really would not be comfortable with LBs and DBs that are limited learners.

Reactions: MJG-90
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT