ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Phillies thread

...and for all those Washington National fans who could only put 22k in the seats on a playoff clinching night, call us when you figure out how to win one lousy National League playoff series.

...and for all those Washington National fans who could only put 22k in the seats on a playoff clinching night, call us when you figure out how to win one lousy National League playoff series.

Love how salty you get. Nice work on the 2 world series titles in 136 years. Hopefully one day we an aspire to that level of accomplishment

They may need to buy a pitching staff plus other assorted holes need to be filled ..... They desperately need Brohm and Howard to be major league ready next year. And Moniak to pan out quickly as well.

and that is the problem. everybody needs pitching so you grossly overpay on the free agent market so you cannot afford to go out and buy 3 starters (Phils need at least two including a legit #2 and #4 starter and roll the dice with Arrieata as #3 and VV/Eflin vying for #5) & 2 quality bullpen arms (long reliever and set-up man/closer depending on what you want to do with Neris) on the open market, you need to develop some through your farm system and then go out and buy one starter and one bullpen arm. Then they also need to go out and get a 3rd baseman unless they plan on putting Kingery there for good, re-sign Dickerson if possible and then go get a centerfielder who can hit lead-off.

And fire Kapler and go get a real manager.

I only go by years I was alive so that's two in 53. They did win five pennants over that span so a WS appearance every 10. Meh.

It's been a weird organization historically.

To the original point, it's kinda BS to worry about finishing above .500 but it is something. It would be nice to finish with a better record than last year having added Realmuto and Harper to the roster. Seems it would be quite a letdown to not better last year by even a game.

There's something wrong with the whole approach and although the pitching is marginal at best, I lay the blame at the run production. They're in the midst of a three-game or worse losing streak for the seventh time this year. It's their second string of five or more Ls. They've been shutout seven times and scored one run eighteen times. Remember the beginning of the year where it looked like the Phils were going to put up six or seven a night? I don't care how good your staff is, you're not winning 25 games 1-0. This is the glaring weakness on this club. They make everybody's staff look like aces. Good hitters come in from other teams and struggle. Struggling hitters leave and thrive elsewhere. It's the system. Man for man this team is ten games better than they're performing. What's the answer? Gabe? The F.O.?

..... everybody needs pitching so you grossly overpay on the free agent market so you cannot afford to go out and buy 3 starters .....

Agree that buying pitching is tough. Look at Charlie Morton. This year a winner. Last year .... paid $8MM(?) by the Phillies and he did not pitch one inning. To some extent it is a crap shoot.

Love how salty you get. Nice work on the 2 world series titles in 136 years. Hopefully one day we an aspire to that level of accomplishment

That post went out to all the fans harrassing Harper in right field, he said it was pretty nasty.

I will root for the Nats against the Dodgers, or whoever plays LA.

Reactions: LionJim
That post went out to all the fans harrassing Harper in right field, he said it was pretty nasty.

I will root for the Nats against the Dodgers, or whoever plays LA.
Harper isn’t normally a complainer, so I took that seriously. Early this morning I posted and soon afterwards deleted a smartass comeback to your post for exactly those reasons.

Harper isn’t normally a complainer, so I took that seriously. Early this morning I posted and soon afterwards deleted a smartass comeback to your post for exactly those reasons.

It's all good Jim. Now about those Neshaminy Redskins, I can't remember a year when HS football was so down in this area. My Rock teams are awful, and Pennsbury is 2-3.

Reactions: LionJim
It's all good Jim. Now about those Neshaminy Redskins, I can't remember a year when HS football was so down in this area. My Rock teams are awful, and Pennsbury is 2-3.
Who are the powers this season in D-1, D-11, and D-12?

Last edited:
and that is the problem. everybody needs pitching so you grossly overpay on the free agent market so you cannot afford to go out and buy 3 starters (Phils need at least two including a legit #2 and #4 starter and roll the dice with Arrieata as #3 and VV/Eflin vying for #5) & 2 quality bullpen arms (long reliever and set-up man/closer depending on what you want to do with Neris) on the open market, you need to develop some through your farm system and then go out and buy one starter and one bullpen arm. Then they also need to go out and get a 3rd baseman unless they plan on putting Kingery there for good, re-sign Dickerson if possible and then go get a centerfielder who can hit lead-off.

And fire Kapler and go get a real manager.
When Nola was drafted, I seem to recall that he projected as a mid-rotation guy, maybe a 2 but likely a 3 or 4. I agree with your post and maybe the collapse has me thinking more negatively than I should but Nola is the “ace” by default. When they moved him up to every 4th day, it all went haywire for him.

The Phillies are desperate for a true ace and a #2. I don’t see those needs being met anytime soon.

I predicted that signing Harper would be totally worthless and it has been proven. Washington is the same team with or without him. He's an average power hitter with a big personality. That's it.

I predicted that signing Harper would be totally worthless and it has been proven. Washington is the same team with or without him. He's an average power hitter with a big personality. That's it.
They could have signed 4 decent pitchers instead of Harper (Corbin, Morton, Lynn, Ottavino)
and still have had $100M left over!
And won the Div!

Not a Nats fan but their front office has been doing a great job identifying talent and development of their minor league. I think Harper has hustled well all year, just too many deficiencies on this roster.

Not a Nats fan but their front office has been doing a great job identifying talent and development of their minor league. I think Harper has hustled well all year, just too many deficiencies on this roster.
Yeah, Soto has been a great surprise and Rendon has had a career year. Turner, too. Rendon and Turner both missed a month or so, overlapping, so that really cost the Nationals early. It’s been a nice ride.

if what his wife said was true he had every right to complain and those fans should have been called out by those around him.

Especially after he was nice enough to facilitate all that $3 pizza.

1. Big personality sells tix and jerseys. Which is part of the price.
2. He was far from worthless and having survived philly fans in year one I predict he will do some big things in the next few years

Reactions: bmw199
2. He was far from worthless and having survived philly fans in year one I predict he will do some big things in the next few years

I agree. He is far from worthless and with a full Spring training camp under his belt next season, he should have better numbers. I do like his hustle, effort and his teamates seem to really like him.

Reactions: bmw199

I agree. He is far from worthless and with a full Spring training camp under his belt next season, he should have better numbers. I do like his hustle, effort and his teamates seem to really like him.
I want to see what he can do as a recruiter this offseason. Middleton will spend, but will they want to come? I think Bryce will have a lot do with that.

Reactions: psulongago
He led the team in OPS, HRs, and RBIs. Not sure that is worthless.
I can see both sides of this argument. And although it may be a one year thing, season ticket sales for the Phils went through the roof after the Harper signing. Still think the Cutch injury had a very negative impact on their run production.

I can see both sides of this argument. And although it may be a one year thing, season ticket sales for the Phils went through the roof after the Harper signing. Still think the Cutch injury had a very negative impact on their run production.
You can make an argument that he was not worth the money he is making (what big FA is?), but I don't see how you can make any argument that he is worthless. It's either bad hyperbole or just plain wrong.

No doubt. The guy is not a winner and he costs way too much. Should be bombing 50 and driving in 130 with that money.

Well, one thing is for sure either Zack Wheeler or Noah Syndergaard will be available during this offseason. I don’t not believe Zack will be cheap and you’ll have to give up something big for Noah.

Yes I agree, teams pay through the nose for starting pitching because they’re hard to find and the number one reason in my humble opinion is that there are too many teams. Baseball is killing the game with three divisions. I get the point about keeping fan interest in the game leading up to the postseason but this is too much, especially when you factor in the wildcard teams.

Exactly. I’d wager since July , after her stopped pressing to justify the contract, he’s had about a .920 OPS.

He was great after settling in
Agree. He seemed much more relaxed after the all-star break.

Harper was a great pick up for the Phillies. In 5 years that contract will be cheap.

Final weekend for two teams going nowhere and they're in the 13th inning. It's good they have expanded rosters.

Final weekend for two teams going nowhere and they're in the 13th inning. It's good they have expanded rosters.

This is a joke. Two bad teams going on a five hour meaningless game using 18 total pitchers. Who is watching this garbage? I looked at the box score and knew the numbers would be ugly.

The Cubs and the Phillies BOTH making their moves tonight! :rolleyes:

Thanks Cubs! I made a futures bet on the Brewers to win the Central back in April. They went into COL hot as a firecracker and got trounced. Need Cubs and Brew Crew to sweep tomorrow and Sunday. As for the Phils, it's always nice to beat five infielders. That was a dog fart by Florida.

81-81. It seems like their record should be so much worse than that. :(

Many issues to deal with during the off season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT