ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Phillies thread

So, what do people think?
Would you can Gabe for Maddon?
Keep in mind, Maddon is also an analytics guy who started the trend (I think) of batting the pitcher 8th.
I think Kapler gets way too much blame for the Phils failures, but after giving him 2 years, I also don't think he did anything special. I would do it.

Keep in mind, Maddon is also an analytics guy who started the trend (I think) of batting the pitcher 8th.
I think Kapler gets way too much blame for the Phils failures, but after giving him 2 years, I also don't think he did anything special. I would do it.
Kapler got me from the very 1st game he managed! Last year, in the opener at Atlanta, he pulls Nola who was cruising. RIGHT OFF THE BAT, that irked not only me, but many of my diehard Phillies friends! Then, this year, when he started messing with the batting order, and had Harper and Hoskins batting 1st and 2nd! BULLSHIT! Give me Maddon. He won at Tampa Bay and won at Chicago!

Kapler got me from the very 1st game he managed! Last year, in the opener at Atlanta, he pulls Nola who was cruising. RIGHT OFF THE BAT, that irked not only me, but many of my diehard Phillies friends! Then, this year, when he started messing with the batting order, and had Harper and Hoskins batting 1st and 2nd! BULLSHIT! Give me Maddon. He won at Tampa Bay and won at Chicago!

Hopefully this will mark the end of the "Metrics trumps all other aspects of the game" era in Philly.

Reactions: royboy and BrianS

You might want to take a look at who hit 1st and 2nd for the Cubs this year

You might want to take a look at who hit 1st and 2nd for the Cubs this year
I'll take my chances with Maddon. Like I said, he's experienced, and won at both Tampa Bay and Chicago. This team needs experienced leadership!!!
I really wouldn't mind seeing another "experienced" winning manager in here. Just get rid of Kapler.

I don't know, I thought Kapler made some strange moves in various games. I think the manager can only do so much, you have to have good ballplayers.
I'm a lifetime, long-suffering Phillies fan. The only observation to be made is that as an organization, the Phillies are a complete failure. 2 WS titles in, what? 140 years?!? I was born in 1950, the only pitchers that they have produced out of the organization in that time are Chris Short, Ferguson Jenkins, Cole Hamels, Nola, Ryan Madson was a very good 8th inning reliever, and then a bunch of guys like Ruthven, Christiansen, Walk, Myers... guys who were in the big leagues but were mostly just guys. And I know that list is incomplete but it's a rarity for the Phillies to produce an All-Star caliber pitcher.
They simply do not consistently produce good, young players that could be trade bait, and star players seem to come along every 25 years.
Nola and Eflin are the only pitchers that can make up a starting rotation, they need help at CF, LF, 3B, you have to wonder about Hoskins, they need a backup Catcher, several relief pitchers... there's little coming out of the minors so that forces them to spend for older free agents.

I don't know, looks like a messy situation to me. I don't think changing managers is going to make up the 16 games they finished behind the Braves.

I don't know, I thought Kapler made some strange moves in various games. I think the manager can only do so much, you have to have good ballplayers.
I'm a lifetime, long-suffering Phillies fan. The only observation to be made is that as an organization, the Phillies are a complete failure. 2 WS titles in, what? 140 years?!? I was born in 1950, the only pitchers that they have produced out of the organization in that time are Chris Short, Ferguson Jenkins, Cole Hamels, Nola, Ryan Madson was a very good 8th inning reliever, and then a bunch of guys like Ruthven, Christiansen, Walk, Myers... guys who were in the big leagues but were mostly just guys. And I know that list is incomplete but it's a rarity for the Phillies to produce an All-Star caliber pitcher.
They simply do not consistently produce good, young players that could be trade bait, and star players seem to come along every 25 years.
Nola and Eflin are the only pitchers that can make up a starting rotation, they need help at CF, LF, 3B, you have to wonder about Hoskins, they need a backup Catcher, several relief pitchers... there's little coming out of the minors so that forces them to spend for older free agents.

I don't know, looks like a messy situation to me. I don't think changing managers is going to make up the 16 games they finished behind the Braves.
Definitely a talent gap with the Braves. I agree about Rhys. Big question. Signing Rendon might help answer some of that. I highly doubt they move Bohm in any move. So he may be the new 1B in 2021 (or sooner).

So what do you guys think of Buck Showalter? Multiple reports say he and Middleton are having talks.
I don't know enough about his philosophy, but my eyeball test tells me that his strength is in-game tactics. That, of course, is only one relevant factor for choosing a manager.

So what do you guys think of Buck Showalter? Multiple reports say he and Middleton are having talks.
Being more of an NL guy, I don't have that much of an opinion, but my friend who is a huge Yankees fan holds him in high regard.

The one article said in 2017 the crew under Middleton drove the bus and pushed for Kaplar, while Middleton wanted Showalter. Now Middleton is handling the talks on his own.

Not if almost all the coaching staff is staying on
They may not be staying on their same roles as I would assume the new manager would want some say in his staff. The 2 big positions are open and will need to be filled Hitting Coach and Pitching Coach. Hopefully they move Wathan off 3rd base, Paco did a good job with the running game IMO and should stay at 1b.

They may not be staying on their same roles as I would assume the new manager would want some say in his staff. The 2 big positions are open and will need to be filled Hitting Coach and Pitching Coach. Hopefully they move Wathan off 3rd base, Paco did a good job with the running game IMO and should stay at 1b.

Bench coach is right up there. Its strange the way they said 'invited back.' Does that mean its up to the new manager or the new manager has to keep them?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT