ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Recruiting Thread

I moved on a long time ago. Last I looked this was a forum for discussion. Go tell someone else what to do.
I hear ya man chill out. My guess as to why he keeps mentioning us is, it's pretty insulting to leave the school that discovered you and the same one you were committed to for several months off your list of finalists. Just a hunch.

I hear ya man chill out. My guess as to why he keeps mentioning us is, it's pretty insulting to leave the school that discovered you and the same one you were committed to for several months off your list of finalists. Just a hunch.

Sorry, no worries. I guess what was of most interest in the article, was that Fields's top two schools are now starting frosh QBS and things could become murky about his path to a starting role.

Reactions: grinagrin
As my buddy David M. noted, not the best atmosphere for Ohio State last night for hosting Tyreke Smith and Jayson Oweh. I'll take that.

Edit: Actually, looking at list of visitors for the OSU/OK game I don't see Tyreke Smith listed. Saw an interview, I thought, where he said he was going but I guess not.

Last edited:
Interesting that Florida RB commit Iverson Clement from NJ was at the game yesterday.

Great that CJF does not seem to "move on" from players he wants, as some here try to act like the board Mommy and direct other posters to do...............

Last edited:
Interesting that Florida RB commit Iverson Clement from NJ was at the game yesterday.

Great that CJF does not seem to "move on" from players he wants, as some here try to act like the board Mommy and direct other posters to do...............

Clement is listed by some as a 4-Star Athlete.

CJF likes to keep his recruiting options open. He also seems to like some talented recruits who are versatile, who can play multiple spots.

CJF also appears to be planting seeds with regional coaches and schools, that he treats their players with respect and treats them right. It is a solid foundation for long-term recruiting success.

4_4568119.jpg

Iverson Clement
Mount Holly, NJ (Rancocas Valley Reg H)

Athlete
4-Star
  • Ht 5-11
  • Wt 199
  • CLASS OF 18
247Sports Composite
Natl Comp 274
Pos ATH 12
St NJ 7

Last edited:
UF picked up a verbal in the past several weeks from another top RB. Maybe that caught Clement by surprise. Rancocas Valley is a powerhouse and always has great players. Its a good school for JF to have a strong relationship with.

Once again, JF not interested in Clement right now. Maybe if there is a rash of decommits will Clement come back on the radar.

I'm sure if Clement or his coach asked if he could visit, JF would say yes. Do they need a 2018 RB? No.

Unless you have interviewed CJF and got him to talk about recruiting, which he won't, I doubt you are any of us here know what CJF is thinking. For all we know CJF had Clement as his top RB target. There could be roster changes coming this off season that CJF has become aware of recently. Who knows. CJF has orchestrated surprises near to or at then end of the recruiting cycle each year. I won't discount that happening this year. When players show up at PSU games, it may not mean that much, or it might mean lots.....

As you said above, Clement's position in the FL class may have changed.

It's not over till it's over.

Unless you have interviewed CJF and got him to talk about recruiting, which he won't, I doubt you are any of us here know what CJF is thinking. For all we know CJF had Clement as his top RB target. There could be roster changes coming this off season that CJF has become aware of recently. Who knows. CJF has orchestrated surprises near to or at then end of the recruiting cycle each year. I won't discount that happening this year. When players show up at PSU games, it may not mean that much, or it might mean lots.....

As you said above, Clement's position in the FL class may have changed.

It's not over till it's over.

And sometimes it's not over then!

Kwantel Raines wanting to meet up with some PSU verbals at the game.

Come on Kwantel. Let it Raines.... at PSU!

I just don't see how they have room for Raines. I bet he is a back-up plan in case they lose a couple verbals.
Phil said yesterday morning and the radio show that Raines was likely waiting to see if there is a ship left after Walker, Parsons, Owen, and Smith make their choice and we figure out whether Anderson-Butts has to go to prep school.

Phil said yesterday morning and the radio show that Raines was likely waiting to see if there is a ship left after Walker, Parsons, Owen, and Smith make their choice and we figure out whether Anderson-Butts has to go to prep school.
Reminds me of the recruitment of Khaleke Hudson, another versatile Safety prospect from Western PA, at one time in line for PSU, and then lost to Michigan, where he is apparently playing well.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Reminds me of the recruitment of Khaleke Hudson, another versatile Safety prospect from Western PA, at one time in line for PSU, and then lost to Michigan, where he is apparently playing well.
I see a ton of WPIAL games and Raines isn't half the player Hudson is. In my opinion Hudson is the best player to come out of the WPIAL in years. He just doesn't have the prototypical height for the style he plays. That's one ship I think we will regret not giving out.

I hope that isn't the case. Didn't Franklin learn anything from Khaleke Hudson about slow rolling an in state kid waiting on bigger fish? I think Raines is a take now if he wants in and it's just a matter of waiting out other guys.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I see a ton of WPIAL games and Raines isn't half the player Hudson is. In my opinion Hudson is the best player to come out of the WPIAL in years. He just doesn't have the prototypical height for the style he plays. That's one ship I think we will regret not giving out.

I've seen neither in person, so hoping you are right. I was pissed about the Hudson thing after watching his tape

Wild Saturday at OSU. Oweh says the mood was gloomy and coaches in a bad mood after the game and Parsons entering a QB controversy.

“Things were a little off after the game,” Jayson Oweh said Sunday. “Guys we’re a little bummed out. The facilities were pretty gloomy and Urban Meyer was pretty distraught, as well.

https://www.landof10.com/ohio-state...ing-weekends-micah-parsons-tweet-weekend-news

And neither kid committed to OSU.

Me likey.

Well, to be brutally honest: one out of the two ain't bad and it's NOT Parson's.

Wild Saturday at OSU. Oweh says the mood was gloomy and coaches in a bad mood after the game and Parsons entering a QB controversy.

“Things were a little off after the game,” Jayson Oweh said Sunday. “Guys we’re a little bummed out. The facilities were pretty gloomy and Urban Meyer was pretty distraught, as well.

https://www.landof10.com/ohio-state...ing-weekends-micah-parsons-tweet-weekend-news
Hey Jayson, did you notice how the fans bugged out of the Horseshoe in a hurry, even with minutes of game time left?

I hope that isn't the case. Didn't Franklin learn anything from Khaleke Hudson about slow rolling an in state kid waiting on bigger fish? I think Raines is a take now if he wants in and it's just a matter of waiting out other guys.
In Franklin I trust... as the old saying goes, it's not the players who you don't get who hurt you, it's the players you get that can't play. Hudson certainly looks like a good player, but if CJF thought they needed someone at different position or wasn't sure about Hudson, then that is his right to make that call.

Reactions: T J and GregInPitt
In Franklin I trust... as the old saying goes, it's not the players who you don't get who hurt you, it's the players you get that can't play. Hudson certainly looks like a good player, but if CJF thought they needed someone at different position or wasn't sure about Hudson, then that is his right to make that call.

Yeah but some of the conversations on here after signing day were that Franklin then put the full court press on Hudson, but it was too late. So in Franklin you trust, but from the sounds of his actions, Franklin realized he screwed up Hudson's recruitment.

Yeah but some of the conversations on here after signing day were that Franklin then put the full court press on Hudson, but it was too late. So in Franklin you trust, but from the sounds of his actions, Franklin realized he screwed up Hudson's recruitment.

Probably not the best comparison. Hudson was ready to verbal when he didn't have any offer (if I remember that correctly). But I don't see this as slow playing Raines. Raines has had an offer for a long time and is being thorough about his decision, which is certainly his right. PSU has filled up much earlier than expected and now has to be focused on need and be selective about how these last 2 spots are filled.

So the problem with taking Raines is need based on how the class is composed. Would PSU love to have him all things being equal? Yes. But there is much bigger need for the remaining spots to address the DL....particularly at DE. As long as PSU is in on Oweh (and probably to a lesser degree Parsons), one of those scholarships is not going to a LB/Safety. Then you have to consider up side of need comparing Walker or Smith over Raines. If it's between Raines and Walker, I think we can afford to take Raines because the OT recruiting in this class is sufficient. But Raines over Smith is not a trade I'd be willing to make right now.....again, based on need.

Franklin realized he screwed up Hudson's recruitment.

Listen, you make the best decisions you can with the information you have at the time. Harbaugh would have taken Hudson's verbal and then just gone no contact for a few months and hoped the kid got the message. I think Franklin prefers a more honest approach. He didn't think he'd have room in the class and couldn't take his verbal at that point.

"That, in a nutshell, is part of the Micah Parsons recruitment conundrum. Parsons is an elite-level talent, but his excitability — and in some ways lack of maturity — make recruiting him a Catch-22. You just don’t know what you’re going to get. What happened Saturday night is just a teenager making a bad decision and according to sources in Columbus, players in the Ohio State locker room were “pissed” about them."

I think there's a lot of overreaction about every move Parsons makes. He's pretty tight with Haskins so context of the tweet makes it pretty harmless. Maturity is a problem but not really unusual for 18 yr olds getting the attention Parsons gets every time he turns on his phone.

He really needs to get into an environment where he can be mentored with this process behind him.

Reactions: djr4rebs
Hindsight is 50/50. Unless someone lied, not being the first choice is by no means a foul.

Buckeyes are sore losers. They've been spoiled with success for way too many years.

Recruiting is going to get interesting.

"That, in a nutshell, is part of the Micah Parsons recruitment conundrum. Parsons is an elite-level talent, but his excitability — and in some ways lack of maturity — make recruiting him a Catch-22. You just don’t know what you’re going to get. What happened Saturday night is just a teenager making a bad decision and according to sources in Columbus, players in the Ohio State locker room were “pissed” about them."

I think there's a lot of overreaction about every move Parsons makes. He's pretty tight with Haskins so context of the tweet makes it pretty harmless. Maturity is a problem but not really unusual for 18 yr olds getting the attention Parsons gets every time he turns on his phone.

He really needs to get into an environment where he can be mentored with this process behind him.
He's needy for attention and he makes stupid decisions. This is not new (CD incident for instance).

Tyreke Smith, please.

Reactions: ftlpsu

That almost certainly is not O$U. Ask Noah Spence or Terrell Pryor or.....

Wilfong put a CB in tonight for Parsons to Nebraska.

Given the timing of that CB (and it's Wiltfong making the call) a day after the OSU trip, it may be the most surprised I've been on a projection....

I'll still believe Parsons in Lincoln when he signs, but if it's not to work out with PSU would much rather he be there than in Columbus. I'm sure the 3-4 D that Nebraska is switching to is a factor, but there's plenty of time this year for that experiment to blow up in Bob Diaco's face.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT