ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Recruiting Thread

A poster on one of the pay sites' boards had a credible story with info that Penn State is no longer recruiting Micah Parsons. I believe him.

giphy.gif

Reactions: grinagrin
A poster on one of the pay sites' boards had a credible story with info that Penn State is no longer recruiting Micah Parsons. I believe him.

If you read what I did, it was more like "PSU has slowed down on him" and "PSU may be trying another tactic." Not the same as "no longer recruiting him," at least not the way I read it....

I am sure Parson's has been a visitor many times when other recruits/commits were guests as well. How well did they interact? That would be telling to me.

If you read what I did, it was more like "PSU has slowed down on him" and "PSU may be trying another tactic." Not the same as "no longer recruiting him," at least not the way I read it....

Kind of sounds like semantics to me. I think Coach James knows which way the wind is blowing here so if they are talking to others, makes me think they are not sure they get either Oweh or Smith and want to have some live bullets left in the rifle.

No, not the same info.

I am very confident we land 1 of the 3 (Oweh, Parsons, Smith)
If I had to predict the order of chances:
1. Jayson Oweh (Unless he were to surprisingly commit while on OV to Columbus this weekend)
2. Micah Parsons
3. Tyreke Smith
I have a better feeling about Tyreke to PSU. The Michigan game unofficial and the post season official give me a good vibe.

Smith visiting PSU 2x, including his last OV.

Wiltfong reports Smith will see Penn State in action during back-t0-back weeks in late October — at home against Michigan on Oct. 21 and at Ohio State the following Saturday.

Interestingly, his game day visit to Happy Valley is expected to occur in an unofficial capacity. Smith intends to return to State College on Dec. 8 for his official visit with Penn State, providing the staff with one final opportunity to impress him on home turf prior to his announcement at the Under Armour All-America Game, held Jan. 4 in Orlando, Fla.

Who's next? Step right up!!

***Recruit***________________***School***
1. DE - Micah Parson...............(_________)
2. SAF - Isheem Young............(Penn State)
3. WR - Jahan Dotson..............(_UCLA__)
4. DT - PJ Mustipher................(Penn State)
5. DE - Tyreke Smith.................(_________)
6. LB - Jack Lamb**..................(___ND___)
7. SAF - Kwantel Raines...........(_________)
8. WR - Solomon Enis..............(_________)
9. DT - Aeneas Hawkins...........(Penn State)
10. WR - Daniel George............(Penn State)
11. OT - Rasheed Walker..........(_________)
12. OG/C- Fred Scruggs...........(Penn State)
13. DE - Dorian Hardy...............(Penn State)
14. OT - Blake Zubovic..............(___Pitt___)
15. DE - Marcellus Earlington....(________)
16. DE - Jayson Oweh...............(_________)
17. DE - John Morgan................(___Pitt___)
18. WR - Aron Cruicshank.........(__WISC_)
19. OT - Tyler Bradley...............(Maryland)
20. DE - K.J. Henry....................(_________)
21. LB - Brian Asamoah.............(Oklahoma)
22. OT - Christian Armstrong.....(___FSU__)
23. DB - Jordan Miner................(Penn State)
24. OT - Chris Bleich.................(___UCLA__)
25. WR - Darryle Simmons........(____VT___)
26. DT - Judge Culpepper........(Penn State)
27. DE - Eyabi Anoma..............(__________)
28. LB - Shayne Simon............(____ND___)
29. WR -Shaquan Anderson-Butts(Penn State)
30. QB - Will Levis...................(Penn State)
31. PK - Jake Pinegar..............(Penn State)

** = Is dead to me now.

Who's next? Step right up!!

***Recruit***________________***School***
1. DE - Micah Parson...............(_________)
2. SAF - Isheem Young............(Penn State)
3. WR - Jahan Dotson..............(_UCLA__)
4. DT - PJ Mustipher................(Penn State)
5. DE - Tyreke Smith.................(_________)
6. LB - Jack Lamb**..................(___ND___)
7. SAF - Kwantel Raines...........(_________)
8. WR - Solomon Enis..............(_________)
9. DT - Aeneas Hawkins...........(Penn State)
10. WR - Daniel George............(Penn State)
11. OT - Rasheed Walker..........(_________)
12. OG/C- Fred Scruggs...........(Penn State)
13. DE - Dorian Hardy...............(Penn State)
14. OT - Blake Zubovic..............(___Pitt___)
15. DE - Marcellus Earlington....(________)
16. DE - Jayson Oweh...............(_________)
17. DE - John Morgan................(___Pitt___)
18. WR - Aron Cruicshank.........(__WISC_)
19. OT - Tyler Bradley...............(Maryland)
20. DE - K.J. Henry....................(_________)
21. LB - Brian Asamoah.............(Oklahoma)
22. OT - Christian Armstrong.....(___FSU__)
23. DB - Jordan Miner................(Penn State)
24. OT - Chris Bleich.................(___UCLA__)
25. WR - Darryle Simmons........(____VT___)
26. DT - Judge Culpepper........(Penn State)
27. DE - Eyabi Anoma..............(__________)
28. LB - Shayne Simon............(____ND___)
29. WR -Shaquan Anderson-Butts(Penn State)
30. QB - Will Levis...................(Penn State)
31. PK - Jake Pinegar..............(Penn State)

** = Is dead to me now.

I'd be happy with Oweh and Walker to fill out the class. Think Oweh is going to be a very special player.

I just don't see how they have room for Raines. I bet he is a back-up plan in case they lose a couple verbals.

I just don't see how they have room for Raines. I bet he is a back-up plan in case they lose a couple verbals.

Raines falls behind Parsons, Smith, Oweh, Walker and Enis. If PSU does not land any or only one of the first three, and with SAB most likely heading to prep school, Raines is in the mix.

Reactions: TheGLOV
The best combo of delineman yet to add would be Smith and Sandidge. It would be the best defensive line class we've ever had. Parsons has all the talent in the world (ignoring everything else at the moment), but there are legit concerns about him peaking too early. Even if he had peaked already he'll still be a very impressive college player. Oweh is very raw. All indications are he'll develop into an elite football player, but it will certainly be a few years, and with that type of player there's still risk. However, Smith and Sandidge would give you the most upside now in terms of where they are and where they could go. Plus DT looks sparse in 2019.

I believe Enis will be in this class and we'll see on Walker. Raines seems to be on the outside.

The best combo of delineman yet to add would be Smith and Sandidge. It would be the best defensive line class we've ever had. Parsons has all the talent in the world (ignoring everything else at the moment), but there are legit concerns about him peaking too early. Even if he had peaked already he'll still be a very impressive college player. Oweh is very raw. All indications are he'll develop into an elite football player, but it will certainly be a few years, and with that type of player there's still risk. However, Smith and Sandidge would give you the most upside now in terms of where they are and where they could go. Plus DT looks sparse in 2019.

I believe Enis will be in this class and we'll see on Walker. Raines seems to be on the outside.
I'm not gonna do a whole new thread until around Michigan when 2019 is taking more shape. But here's my list:

Commit Watch (if it ended today):
4* WR Enis

Very Good Chance:
4* DL Smith, 4* OT Walker

In The Battle:
4* DE Anoma, 4* DT Sandidge, 4* DE Oweh, 4* S Raines, 3* DE Earlington

Work Left To Do:
5* DE Parsons, 5* DE Henry, 4* CB Griffith, 4* DT Friday

Have To Get Really Lucky:
5* QB Fields, 4* LB Hollifield, 4* CB Tutt, 4* WR Scates, 4* ATH Booker, 4* DT McNeill, 3* CB Hawkins, 3* Eskridge, 3* LB Artis, 3* LB Bastida

DE Dorian Hardy
DL Judge Culpepper
DL Aeneas Hawkins
DT PJ Mustipher
DE Tyreke Smith
DT Rick Sandidge

Wonder how that DL haul would compare to others in the history of Rivals rankings. Might eclipse 2006 as PSU's best DL class.

The more I think about it, I really think Tyreke Smith might end up as the best defensive end out of him, Oweh and Parsons at the college level. Oweh has the biggest pure athletic potential out of all of them, but a player with his kind of rawness is always going to be a little more of a gamble. And Parsons, I think, fits much more into that "edge" role where he bounces around between being a hand-in-the-dirt DE and playing more of a stand-up DE/OLB role a la Von Miller. But Smith seems like he's most suited to just be a pure defensive end like Gross-Matos is.

The more I think about it, I really think Tyreke Smith might end up as the best defensive end out of him, Oweh and Parsons at the college level. Oweh has the biggest pure athletic potential out of all of them, but a player with his kind of rawness is always going to be a little more of a gamble. And Parsons, I think, fits much more into that "edge" role where he bounces around between being a hand-in-the-dirt DE and playing more of a stand-up DE/OLB role a la Von Miller. But Smith seems like he's most suited to just be a pure defensive end like Gross-Matos is.

Whenever there are discussions about Oweh, it reminds me somewhat of Jack Crawford. For that reason I would take Parsons and Smith over him if given the choice.

Parsons could even end up at lb. Could be a faster version of Brandon Short(Who started out at de before moving to lb) than a de.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Not a Parsons apologist, but i'm not sure why that makes him a tool. From an objective standpoint, if you're considering both schools the OU-OSU game should be the better game.
I think it's Parsons fatigue more than anything else. He wanted to commit as a freshman, and did commit as a soph. We've been hearing this and that about him for nearly four years. And, frankly, Parsons may have PSU fatigue. I'm not concerned. PSU will get at least two more excellent signees. We just don't know their names yet.

Interesting article on Fields and again, he has listed Penn State in the mix. Obviously, its a long, long shot, but I'm "vexed" to understand why he mentions the Lions. This is now the third article in the past month where for some reason he includes PSU in the mix. Anyone else hear Field's name in chatter?

Injuries leave No. 1 Justin Fields with questions about finalists Florida State and Georgia
Sep 6, 2017

KENNESAW, Ga. – The nation’s No. 1 recruit is paying even more attention to his finalists.

Quarterback Justin Fields is the rare quarterback to be still uncommitted this late in the recruiting process. After injuries to Florida State QB Deondre Francois and Georgia QB Jacob Eason, Fields hasn’t yet changed anything in decision process.

“I’m considering Florida State, Georgia, Auburn, a little bit of Alabama, Penn State and Florida still too,” said Fields Wednesday after being presented with his Under Armour All-America Game jersey.

But Florida State and Georgia, in particular, have more to prove to Fields. With Francois being lost for the season due to a patella tendon injury and Eason being out indefinitely with a knee injury, both suffered in their team’s first games, the Seminoles and Bulldogs have both turned to true freshmen.

“I’m not really worried about things I can’t control,” the five-star Fields said. “I want to see how Coach Jimbo [Fisher] develops the offense because of a freshman being in there. It’s not really going to change my decision because you have to compete wherever you go, so it’s really seeing how the coaches deal with having a freshman quarterback in there.”

With true freshman James Blackman now starting for FSU and Bailey Hockman, another true freshman QB on the roster, the depth chart in Tallahassee is suddenly very crowded. At Georgia, Fromm is also a true freshman, while Eason is a sophomore. Kirby Smart and the Bulldogs have put added emphasis on landing Fields, not wanting to see the top-ranked player in the state leave.

(Georgia is) the thing as Florida State,” the 6-foot-3, 221-pound Fields said. “No player is ever going to veer me away from a school because if I want to go to a school, I’m going to that school. Just seeing what the coaches do with the freshman quarterback and football players is a focus of my recruitment.”

As far as Auburn is concerned, Fields will be watching to see how the passing game develops this season.

“I just want to see them incorporate more passing into their game because I know they ran the ball a lot because they could on teams,” Fields said. “I want to see more passing,”

The top-ranked prospect in the ultra-talented Peach State doesn’t have any official visits scheduled yet, and having already made a number of unofficial visits to those in serious contention, taking official visits prior to a decision is not paramount.

“I have taken a lot of visits to Florida, Auburn, Georgia and Florida State, so I think I would be able to make a decision,” Fields said. “It will be based on this season goes, and what I see on the offensive side of the ball and just the situation I will be in when I get there. I don’t think I need to take officials to make my mind up.”

Fields, who says LSU is also pursuing him, is looking forward to getting the decision behind him, but doesn’t want to rush into a commitment again after previously being committed to Penn State and knowing all eyes are on him with his decision being impactful for a number of programs.

“It’s really just when I know what school I want to go to it when I’m going to commit,” he said. “I want to get this all over with to be honest with you. … I don’t really feel any pressure because I have already committed to a school before. I just want to make the right decision because I don’t feel like decommitting again. Once I commit to this next school, I’m done.”

Fields will take part in the Under Armour All-America Game January 4 in Orlando, Florida. Fields will join Leonard Fournette, Jadeveon Clowney and Robert Nkemdiche as No. 1 recruits to participate in the game.

Interesting article on Fields and again, he has listed Penn State in the mix. Obviously, its a long, long shot, but I'm "vexed" to understand why he mentions the Lions. This is now the third article in the past month where for some reason he includes PSU in the mix. Anyone else hear Field's name in chatter?

Injuries leave No. 1 Justin Fields with questions about finalists Florida State and Georgia
Sep 6, 2017

KENNESAW, Ga. – The nation’s No. 1 recruit is paying even more attention to his finalists.

Quarterback Justin Fields is the rare quarterback to be still uncommitted this late in the recruiting process. After injuries to Florida State QB Deondre Francois and Georgia QB Jacob Eason, Fields hasn’t yet changed anything in decision process.

“I’m considering Florida State, Georgia, Auburn, a little bit of Alabama, Penn State and Florida still too,” said Fields Wednesday after being presented with his Under Armour All-America Game jersey.

But Florida State and Georgia, in particular, have more to prove to Fields. With Francois being lost for the season due to a patella tendon injury and Eason being out indefinitely with a knee injury, both suffered in their team’s first games, the Seminoles and Bulldogs have both turned to true freshmen.

“I’m not really worried about things I can’t control,” the five-star Fields said. “I want to see how Coach Jimbo [Fisher] develops the offense because of a freshman being in there. It’s not really going to change my decision because you have to compete wherever you go, so it’s really seeing how the coaches deal with having a freshman quarterback in there.”

With true freshman James Blackman now starting for FSU and Bailey Hockman, another true freshman QB on the roster, the depth chart in Tallahassee is suddenly very crowded. At Georgia, Fromm is also a true freshman, while Eason is a sophomore. Kirby Smart and the Bulldogs have put added emphasis on landing Fields, not wanting to see the top-ranked player in the state leave.

(Georgia is) the thing as Florida State,” the 6-foot-3, 221-pound Fields said. “No player is ever going to veer me away from a school because if I want to go to a school, I’m going to that school. Just seeing what the coaches do with the freshman quarterback and football players is a focus of my recruitment.”

As far as Auburn is concerned, Fields will be watching to see how the passing game develops this season.

“I just want to see them incorporate more passing into their game because I know they ran the ball a lot because they could on teams,” Fields said. “I want to see more passing,”

The top-ranked prospect in the ultra-talented Peach State doesn’t have any official visits scheduled yet, and having already made a number of unofficial visits to those in serious contention, taking official visits prior to a decision is not paramount.

“I have taken a lot of visits to Florida, Auburn, Georgia and Florida State, so I think I would be able to make a decision,” Fields said. “It will be based on this season goes, and what I see on the offensive side of the ball and just the situation I will be in when I get there. I don’t think I need to take officials to make my mind up.”

Fields, who says LSU is also pursuing him, is looking forward to getting the decision behind him, but doesn’t want to rush into a commitment again after previously being committed to Penn State and knowing all eyes are on him with his decision being impactful for a number of programs.

“It’s really just when I know what school I want to go to it when I’m going to commit,” he said. “I want to get this all over with to be honest with you. … I don’t really feel any pressure because I have already committed to a school before. I just want to make the right decision because I don’t feel like decommitting again. Once I commit to this next school, I’m done.”

Fields will take part in the Under Armour All-America Game January 4 in Orlando, Florida. Fields will join Leonard Fournette, Jadeveon Clowney and Robert Nkemdiche as No. 1 recruits to participate in the game.
Move on. He's not coming here.

ADVERTISEMENT