ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Recruiting Thread

Penn State has extended a preferred walk-on offer to Cleveland (Ohio) Heights defensive back Zaire Webb. He is the teammate of top defensive line target Tyreke Smith, who has the Nittany Lions among his top choices.
Source: 247 Sean Fitz.

Webb has visited Penn State several times with Smith, including for the Nittany Lions’ win over Ohio State last fall and for the Lasch Bash in July.

The 5-foot-10, 175-pound prospect has scholarship offers from Air Force, Army, and Navy. Ohio State has also offered a preferred walk-on slot.
Based upon his scholarship offers, he must be a solid young man academically and athletically. If he doesn't end up serving his country at one of the academies, then hopefully he walks on to Penn State.

Not PSU related (although PSU did offer), but seldom do you see a 4 star player with a top 5 like this. . .

Reactions: bmw199
Reactions: T J
Reminds me of the recruitment of Khaleke Hudson, another versatile Safety prospect from Western PA, at one time in line for PSU, and then lost to Michigan, where he is apparently playing well.
Except we weren't 2-0 at the time and coming off a big ten championship with Hudson . This is nothing like other situation . Raines just waited too long. That is on him and not Franklin

Reactions: TheGLOV
Interesting, given the report that indicated tOSU had moved into his top spot.

Jason's a guy we'd really like to have
in the Nittany Lion Family.
Jayson says in the article that OSU probably has a slight lead because he's fresh off a visit to OSU.

Jayson says in the article that OSU probably has a slight lead because he's fresh off a visit to OSU.
Agreed. Oweh all but admitted that the only reason tOSU was in the lead (a slight lead at that) was because he was fresh off of the visit. I took the tone of the article as favorable for us.

Walker is O$U backup to Carman who also called out Barrett. Oweh and Smith have moved ahead of Parsons who called out Barrett. In fact, I believe that's why Parsons has all of a sudden decided to visit PSU this weekend trying to get back on PSU's good side. Interesting how it all spins.

Right now, I'm thinking last four are
Raines over Enis
Oweh or Smith
Parsons
Walker

And don't think for a minute they won't take Fields over Levis. Just saying.

SAB and Pinegar are greyshirts.

Hahah, herbstreit was giving it to Carmen in Twitter because that is what Herbie has time to do mid week. Give crap to OSU recruits that say anything negative about the school or godly football program. Kid gave it right back to him.....called him a sheep. He is a sheep, perfect name for herbie.

Reactions: Option Bob
Except we weren't 2-0 at the time and coming off a big ten championship with Hudson . This is nothing like other situation . Raines just waited too long. That is on him and not Franklin
In my perfect world, PSU would make room for Raines just to ignite the dumpster fire next door.

Another 5 star Jackson Carman not happy with OSU right now. . .

Pretty sure both coaches would have a problem with a kid saying that.
Yea, and I doubt they are going to like him tweeting that either.
OSU insiders seem to think Carman has always wanted to leave State and after this, he is focused on Clemson and USC. No way UM tolerates yesterdays tweet. All the more reason to think OSU is after Walker.
It's Urban Meyer, he thinks he can recruit anyone he wants. ZERO chance he puts up with that. He'll move on to the next 5 star. These kids are out of control if they think crap like that is acceptable and their talent lets them get away with that crap. Stuff like this will flip the recruiting game on its head.
Hahah, herbstreit was giving it to Carmen in Twitter because that is what Herbie has time to do mid week. Give crap to OSU recruits that say anything negative about the school or godly football program. Kid gave it right back to him.....called him a sheep. He is a sheep, perfect name for herbie.
Good. I've always been a proponent of these are kids, and you have to understand that, BUT at some point someone needs to put them in their place. If their parents won't do it then a letterman from the team they want to play for is fine by me. You're a recruit you've proved nothing yet. Once you sign that dotted line you are the bottom rung and you deserve nothing but an education that was promised to you.
That seems to be the feeling on several OSU msg boards. They say UM was furious.
Good. Again, coaches can't take this crap. It took a while but I am officially on the don't offer this kid train. However, Franklin knows best and I trust him to do the right thing.

I understand Parsons is on an unofficial visit. With the chatter from some saying he no longer holds a PSU offer, why would he visit and what interaction does staff have with unofficial visitors? Does Parsons get a free meal with his buddy or does he have to wait outside and buy a dog inside the stadium?

If PSU pulled the offer and has moved on, seems like this could really be uncomfortable up there on Sat.

A lot will probably open this and complain that it is too early for a 2018 recruiting thread, but I could care less.

2018 committments:
Micah Parsons - Defensive End - 5star recruit
Chris Bliech - Offensive Tackle - Plymouth, PA but attending IMG Academy in Florida (huge for recruiting help)

Other 2018 Penn State targets that already have a Penn State offer and PSU is currently probably in their top 3.
Depending on what happens in 2017 on the field, this 2018 could be the best class Penn State has brought in.

Matthew Bauer - 4star LB from Erie, PA - Crystal Ball 100% PSU
Phil Jurkovec - 5star QB from Gibsonia, PA - Will be making another visit to HV this weekend for BlueWhite
Ricky Slade - 5star RB from Woodbridge, VA - 2 visits to Penn State in last 2 months, more than any other school he visited
Jahan Dotson - 4star WR from Nazareth, PA - One of 3 BIG time WR targets in PA
Darryle Simmons - 4star WR from Philaelphia, PA - One of 3 BIG time WR targets in PA
Shaquon Anderson-Butts - 4star WR from Harrisburg, PA - One of 3 BIG time WR targets in PA (Believe he would be the closest to committing of the 3)
Zack Kuntz - 5star TE from Camp Hill, PA - Both older brothers (Christian and Brandon) played at PSU
Ademilola Twins - Both 4stars from Jersey City, NJ - Jayson is a DT, Justin is a LB - Both visited last weekend
Isheem Young - 4star S from Philaelphia, PA - Believe this one will come down to PSU or FSU
Kwantel Raines - 4star S from Aliquippa, PA - Still hasn't received many offers, but being a PA guy, we have a shot
Isaiah Humphries - 4star S from Sachse, TX - Dad played at Penn State and then the NFL

Walker is O$U backup to Carman who also called out Barrett. Oweh and Smith have moved ahead of Parsons who called out Barrett. In fact, I believe that's why Parsons has all of a sudden decided to visit PSU this weekend trying to get back on PSU's good side. Interesting how it all spins.

Right now, I'm thinking last four are
Raines over Enis
Oweh or Smith
Parsons
Walker

And don't think for a minute they won't take Fields over Levis. Just saying.

SAB and Pinegar are greyshirts.
Fields has between no interest or darned close to no interest in PSU.

I understand Parsons is on an unofficial visit. With the chatter from some saying he no longer holds a PSU offer, why would he visit and what interaction does staff have with unofficial visitors? Does Parsons get a free meal with his buddy or does he have to wait outside and buy a dog inside the stadium?

If PSU pulled the offer and has moved on, seems like this could really be uncomfortable up there on Sat.
Where was it documented that PSU pulled the offer? Link?

Wowzers.

Ohio State center Billy Price was among the handful of players to meet with the media following Tuesday afternoon's practice, and — naturally — he was asked several questions about starting quarterback J.T. Barrett.

He was also asked to share his thoughts on safety commit Jaiden Woodbey and five-star targets Micah Parsons and Jackson Carman publicly advocating for a change at the position.

"Everybody’s kind of got an opinion and entitled to their opinion," Price said. "[You've] just got to understand that again, you’re being recruited, you’re a high school athlete, you’re not a part of the program right now. You’re an extension of this program and you represent this program.

"The opinions and things, leave that to the coaches and the team players," he continued. "Until you are a part of this program and you put the work in just as much as these other guys have, your opinion and sometimes some of your voices don’t need to be heard."

Players were reportedly "pissed" about Parsons' tweet, which came just moments after No. 5 Oklahoma knocked off the second-ranked Buckeyes, 31-16, on Saturday night.

Loads of kids without offers or "commitable" offers take visits. He'll get the free meal and he'll be treated very well. Won't be uncomfortable, especially if folks are right that he's likely to show up hat-in-hand. We all agree Parsons messed up. May be a huge win for PSU if Parsons learns a lesson in humility from this.
Remember how many visits AJ Alexander and Shady McCoy took? I'd be surprised if AJ missed a home game before he committed to FSU.

..Of course, they're examples of kids who signed elsewhere, but that wasn't your question.

Reactions: Judge Smails
Ohio State fans are in a civil war over all this stuff...too much to hope they drive Meyer to the Notre Dame job next year? Haha, I know.

The biggest problem I see here is that you have to tread carefully whenever 1) you're dealing with a teenager; and 2) you're trying to criticize someone who is right and knows they're right and everybody but a willfully blind person (i.e., Meyer, Barrett, Price) knows they're right.

This isn't just the wrong reaction--it's not practical. When you have a problem, you need to address the problem rather than the ancillary stuff, or else you'll just create a bigger problem. That's what we're seeing here with the recruiting problem, which is a tangential result of the deeper problem.

The crux of the problem is this--circling the wagons isn't pixie dust and it won't magically change Barrett's arm strength, inaccuracy, inability to read coverage, etc. THAT'S the problem. Address it (i.e., bench Barrett) and you just might make the other problems go away.

But, alas, Meyer's doubling and tripling down on a horrendous poker hand, and so we see, people are calling his bluff, which means all he can achieve now is losing more... and more... and still more. Just like in Florida, where it only took about one year for his house of cards to implode on him.

Eating-Popcorn-Soda.gif

Reactions: TheGLOV and ram2020
ADVERTISEMENT