ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Preseason Practice Articles/Discussion

I haven't seen this posted. Brandon Smith has moved to OLB, the Will. Cooper is backing up Cabinda.
I see this as a vote of confidence for Cooper - and, more specifically, his health. Important year for Cooper to be able to show that he can be effective on the field with all the talent we'll have coming in. Did he receive a medical shirt for 2016?

Edit: looks like Cooper played in six games, so no medical shirt. In any case, it's good to have an experienced guy like Smith who can play a few positions if need be.

Pitt fans are the best. Can't wait to welcome them to State College.

Revenge Of The NoiseFreshman

I root for a terrorist bomb to go off there [Penn State] and end their program like the NCAA or Congress should have. No shtick either...It truly deserves to be wiped off the face of earth.

So as of the moment Smith is a starter? 4 weeks away so I would imagine Pry is getting a look at everyone. Good news in terms of competition for the spots, hope everyone is healthy.

1st string right now is Will: Smith; Mike: Cabinda; Sam: Farmer

Surprising if true
  1. Smith doesn't seem fast enough to play on the outside.
  2. Bowen was was well ahead of Farmer last year.
Could Bowen still be in the dog house?

So as of the moment Smith is a starter? 4 weeks away so I would imagine Pry is getting a look at everyone. Good news in terms of competition for the spots, hope everyone is healthy.
In the same article at 247 about Smith moving to Will, it also said he's taking reps on both the 1st and 2nd strings. Also, apparently Will was Smith's original position and he moved to Mike because of need.

I root for a terrorist bomb to go off there [Penn State] and end their program like the NCAA or Congress should have. No shtick either...It truly deserves to be wiped off the face of earth.

What the pitt athletic supporters are really saying whining:

Why can't we be good like them?!

I suspect that no more than 5-6 of them will show their faces in State College. And, they won't be man enough to wear Pitt apparel.

I liked Smith as a back up Mike last year and thought that he did a great job filling in for Cabinda.

Was very disappointed in his flagrant targeting play that he made at U of M........someone could have really gotten hurt.

Just kidding Smith makes a perfect play on the ball almost intercepts the ball and gets tossed forcing us to play Jan Johnson our 8th or 9th linebacker out of camp, who proceeds to get hurt knocking him out for the season, and forcing us to make up linebacker combinations for 3 quarters versus U of M.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I see this as a vote of confidence for Cooper - and, more specifically, his health. Important year for Cooper to be able to show that he can be effective on the field with all the talent we'll have coming in. Did he receive a medical shirt for 2016?

Edit: looks like Cooper played in six games, so no medical shirt. In any case, it's good to have an experienced guy like Smith who can play a few positions if need be.

Agree. Cooper is a true Junior, and if he stays healthy will back up Cabinda this year and be in a position to be our starting MLB in 2018.

I just wonder what this says about Bowen. I saw him as ahead of Farmer at OLB coming out of 2016 and Spring practice as he got the call early last year and seemed to play pretty well. But Smith must have continued to progress athletically in the S & C program to have the quickness needed to play outside. Nice depth at the position, and there will be nice competition going forward. And there will be 3 talented seniors battling to start in 2018, Farmer, Bowen, and Cooper.....

But it's early in camp and Smith practicing at OLB just gives the LB group more position flexibility. We'll see who really starts and plays where in September.....

Reactions: TheGLOV
I think it really is about flexibility (and perhaps indicates that smith is capable of playing both outside and inside, and cooper isn't)

Not sure this means Bowen is 2nd string - I'd say he was an established started at OLB by end of the season.

Reactions: artsandletters
I think we have five starting linebackers in Bowen, Cam, Farmer, Jason, and Smith. You can only put three of them on the field at the same time, and sometimes only two. Ideally, you want to keep these five guys healthy and out of trouble.

I think we have five starting linebackers in Bowen, Cam, Farmer, Jason, and Smith. You can only put three of them on the field at the same time, and sometimes only two. Ideally, you want to keep these five guys healthy and out of trouble.
Will Pry and Franklin rotate guys at this position regularly? They certainly do with the DL.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
A thought just popped in, if in fact Smith starts, Penn State will have 8 out of 11 starters on defense, as seniors. Even if not, 7 of 11. All of them will have worked with Pry for their entire careers in some capacity, and for everyone this is the second year in the same defensive system with the same coordinators and coaches. This is never a bad thing. If you infuse that with some of the younger players who can help you on a situational basis, that optimizes your defense. I'm starting to believe that with a little good fortune and a lot of elbow grease, this defense has a chance to be very good.

Smith is much better than people give him credit for, but Bowen will be the starter. This is the first week of practice.

Crazy to think these kids will be SENIORS next year.

Yep, but if not for the lack of depth and significant injuries, both Bowen and Cooper would likely have redshirted and then would have only been redshirt Juniors in 2018...... I doubt either would have played as true freshmen under normal scholarship distribution scenarios.

Last edited:
Yep, but if not for the lack of depth and significant injuries, both Bowen and Farmer would likely have redshirted and then would have only been redshirt Juniors in 2018...... I doubt either would have played as true freshmen under normal scholarship distribution scenarios.

Correct as to Bowen. But pretty sure Farmer is a red shirt junior this year. He and Bowen are a class apart.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Smith is much better than people give him credit for, but Bowen will be the starter. This is the first week of practice.

I think it's a "win-win" either way, but I hope everyone stays healthy. Week two is here, I'll feel much better at the end of week 2 if everyone stays healthy.

Agree. Cooper is a true Junior, and if he stays healthy will back up Cabinda this year and be in a position to be our starting MLB in 2018.

I just wonder what this says about Bowen. I saw him as ahead of Farmer at OLB coming out of 2016 and Spring practice as he got the call early last year and seemed to play pretty well. But Smith must have continued to progress athletically in the S & C program to have the quickness needed to play outside. Nice depth at the position, and there will be nice competition going forward. And there will be 3 talented seniors battling to start in 2018, Farmer, Bowen, and Cooper.....

But it's early in camp and Smith practicing at OLB just gives the LB group more position flexibility. We'll see who really starts and plays where in September.....
I don't think he'll be #2 this year or the starter in the middle next year. I think a few of these early things are more just in case type of things.

Reactions: Nittanylion930
just read that TE Nick Bowers is up to 270. Jeeze Louise. Article says he still runs close to a 4.6 40. Perhaps that will help with short yardage? Take out MG and put in NB at TE.

Reactions: T J
just read that TE Nick Bowers is up to 270. Jeeze Louise. Article says he still runs close to a 4.6 40. Perhaps that will help with short yardage? Take out MG and put in NB at TE.

Maybe a better blocking TE.

One area where PSU has struggled is in the red zone. WRs have difficulty taking advantage of their speed when they're close to the end zone. That's why a lot of teams throw to their big TEs in that situation. Another option would be to throw to the tallest WRs (Johnson & Charles).

just read that TE Nick Bowers is up to 270. Jeeze Louise. Article says he still runs close to a 4.6 40. Perhaps that will help with short yardage?
Take out MG and put in NB at TE.

At TE or line him up in short yardage at RB or FB. He could carry the rock or lead block at 270, with a 4.6 40.

Back of the envelope defensive line depth chart?

DE: Miller, Buchholz, Toney, Joseph
DT: Cothran, Givens, Jordan, Shelton, Bolds
DT: Cothren, Windsor, Chavis, Hansard, Monk
DE: Brown, Simmons, YGM, Castagna

I don't think they will have any problems rotating three lines easy for most of the schedule.

Obvious pass rush situations:

DE: Miller
DT: Buchholz
DT: Givens
DE: Toney/YGM/Simmons

Pickel

• The safety battle is no where close to decided. That much is clear. Franklin shouted out Troy Apke early in his media conference and he does seem like the logical contender for the job but Ayron Monroe and Nick Scott will make a push. Long way to go there.

• Defensive end is somewhat similar. Shareef Miller and Torrence Brown are the lead dogs, yes, but Shane Simmons, Shaka Toney, and some others will be heard from. Simmons in particular looks dominant.

• Caught just a little bit of practice, but it's clear that the RB room has three clear leaders in Saquon Barkley, Andre Robinson, and Mark Allen. They act the part, walk the walk, and talk the talk.

• A fun recruiting fact: Penn State is tight on space, as those following recruiting closely know, in the Class of 2018. We'll have more later this week, but the banter from the coaches fighting to get their guys the final spot is pretty clear: We want out guys, but know it's a numbers game and that whatever is best for the program must be done.

• Franklin had mentioned some concerns about snapper and holder both having new starters this year. Small sample size, but thinks looked A-OK on Saturday. Long way from doing it in a game, I know, but shouldn't be an issue.

• The redshirt freshman offensive linemen -- Michal Menet, Alex Gellerstedt, and Will Fries -- look outstanding. The battle is going to be very fascinating there. Think you'll end up seeing a good mixture of youth and veterans all year.

Yep, but if not for the lack of depth and significant injuries, both Bowen and Farmer would likely have redshirted and then would have only been redshirt Juniors in 2018...... I doubt either would have played as true freshmen under normal scholarship distribution scenarios.
Farmer did redshirt in 2014

Reading between the lines it's obvious Bowen and Blacknall are still in the doghouse. Coach is probably making them earn it the hard way and I certainly expect them to do it

Miles Sanders -- breakout or forgotten man?

Not seeing much about Miles, other than he has gained weight and strength. Recently saw info that Barkley, Robinson, and Allen appears to be the rotation at Running Back. Isn't Miles too talented not to have a major role? Or maybe not developing as expected?

Reactions: 7-Pointer

Not seeing much about Miles, other than he has gained weight and strength. Recently saw info that Barkley, Robinson, and Allen appears to be the rotation at Running Back. Isn't Miles too talented not to have a major role? Or maybe not developing as expected?

I think Miles will be 2nd string. Allen will probably be the punt returner. Pickel called the 3 you listed above "the leaders of the group." I'd bet Sanders gets the 2nd most carries and is the leader in the clubhouse to be the starter next year.

The blurb I saw was that those three (Barkley, Robinson, and Allen) were the three leaders... that doesn't mean they are 1st, 2nd, and 3rd team.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Pickel

• A fun recruiting fact: Penn State is tight on space, as those following recruiting closely know, in the Class of 2018. We'll have more later this week, but the banter from the coaches fighting to get their guys the final spot is pretty clear: We want out guys, but know it's a numbers game and that whatever is best for the program must be done.

I wonder what this means

I wonder what this means

typo, IMHO> He said "we want our guys" not "out guys". In other words, the position coaches want "their guys" to fill out the few 'ships left. So the D-line coach doesn't want to see another WR taken.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT