ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Preseason Practice Articles/Discussion

I don't think he'll be #2 this year or the starter in the middle next year. I think a few of these early things are more just in case type of things.

We'll see. But believing that a player coming into the program such as Brooks will easily beat out a senior such as Cooper that has considerable experience including starting experience is mamy times the new shiny thing syndrome.

But I agree that the switching around early in camp is mainly about position flexibility...........

We'll see. But believing that a player coming into the program such as Brooks will easily beat out a senior such as Cooper that has considerable experience including starting experience is mamy times the new shiny thing syndrome.

But I agree that the switching around early in camp is mainly about position flexibility...........

Has nothing to do with Brooks this year. If Cabinda goes down I expect Smith to be at MLB, not Cooper. Even if he is playing on the outside right now, he will probably be the best choice at MLB.

Has nothing to do with Brooks this year. If Cabinda goes down I expect Smith to be at MLB, not Cooper. Even if he is playing on the outside right now, he will probably be the best choice at MLB.

I was talking about 2018.

i.e. if Cooper is healthy I expect him to start at MLB ahead of Brooks in 2018, when Cabinda and Smith are gone.....

I would say that is premature. You could be right there but that is a totally blind guess.

Not blind at all. Cooper and Bowen will likely be our most experienced LB's in 2018. The point is that some here are into the new shiny thing, whereas experience and maturity many times are under valued. Cooper will be an experienced MLB in 2018, if he is healthy and comes back for his 4th year, and would have a great chance to be a leader on defense. Pry had some nice things to say about Cooper coming out of ring ball....

Reactions: BeefSkull
Not blind at all. Cooper and Bowen will likely be our most experienced LB's in 2018. The point is that some here are into the new shiny thing, whereas experience and maturity many times are under valued. Cooper will be an experienced MLB in 2018, if he is healthy and comes back for his 4th year, and would have a great chance to be a leader on defense. Pry had some nice things to say about Cooper coming out of ring ball....
The best players will play regardless.

UCLA Quarterback Josh Rosen: "Raise the SAT requirement at Alabama and see what kind of team they have"

aWm83.gif

A Philadelphia Inquirer article on 2 kids from Philadelphia seeking to be DEs for PSu this year -- Miller and Toney -- at THIS LINK.

Just posted a new video of practice today in recognition of the new CTE information being released:

185721.gif

And the cool off exercising before hitting the showers:
e201d303-b0c6-4ffc-85fd-8f65835de767.gif

Reactions: bwifan
Sports Illustrated ranks PSU #8 preseason...

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/08/09/sports-illustrated-preseason-top-25-rankings-poll

8. Penn State Nittany Lions

Last year: 11–3 (8–1 Big Ten); Lost to USC in Rose Bowl

SI Top 100 players: Three (QB Trace McSorley, TE Mike Gesicki, RB Saquon Barkley)

Player you need to know: The Nittany Lions have to replace big-play wideout Chris Godwin, their leading receiver in 2016. They’re stocked with rangy targets that at field level resemble defensive ends, but the one who has generated the most buzz this offseason has been a 6' 4", 218-pound sophomore with 4.5 speed—Juwan Johnson. An Academic All-Big Ten qualifier last year, Johnson was primarily Godwin’s backup and a special-teamer. Now he’s primed to slide into one of the outside receiver spots which are big weapons in Joe Moorhead’s system. “He wasn’t consistent before,” the offensive coordinator says. “He’s brimming with confidence now. Juwan had a phenomenal spring.”

Path to the playoff: Out of conference the Nittany Lions have three home games, including one against Pitt (Sept. 9), which beat them last year. In conference a brutal three-week stretch awaits: Michigan (Oct. 21) at home, then trips to Ohio State (Oct. 28) and Michigan State (Nov. 4). That’s asking a lot.

Sports Illustrated ranks PSU #8 preseason...

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/08/09/sports-illustrated-preseason-top-25-rankings-poll

8. Penn State Nittany Lions

Last year: 11–3 (8–1 Big Ten); Lost to USC in Rose Bowl

SI Top 100 players: Three (QB Trace McSorley, TE Mike Gesicki, RB Saquon Barkley)

Player you need to know: The Nittany Lions have to replace big-play wideout Chris Godwin, their leading receiver in 2016. They’re stocked with rangy targets that at field level resemble defensive ends, but the one who has generated the most buzz this offseason has been a 6' 4", 218-pound sophomore with 4.5 speed—Juwan Johnson. An Academic All-Big Ten qualifier last year, Johnson was primarily Godwin’s backup and a special-teamer. Now he’s primed to slide into one of the outside receiver spots which are big weapons in Joe Moorhead’s system. “He wasn’t consistent before,” the offensive coordinator says. “He’s brimming with confidence now. Juwan had a phenomenal spring.”

Path to the playoff: Out of conference the Nittany Lions have three home games, including one against Pitt (Sept. 9), which beat them last year. In conference a brutal three-week stretch awaits: Michigan (Oct. 21) at home, then trips to Ohio State (Oct. 28) and Michigan State (Nov. 4). That’s asking a lot.
Does anyone know when the AP poll comes out?

Steve Jones and Jack Ham were at practice yesterday, which means Steve should have Jack on his podcast soon for their preseason predictions. Jack nailed it last year.

Reactions: grinagrin
Steve Jones and Jack Ham were at practice yesterday, which means Steve should have Jack on his podcast soon for their preseason predictions. Jack nailed it last year.

he said PSU was going to win the B10?

Anonymous coach on Penn State

No. 8 Penn State: 'Trace McSorley Is a Winner'

Saquon Barkley is the best back I’ve seen in years. He has great vision, speed and balance. He is so explosive and so great with that jump cut. He’s also not afraid to put his shoulder down and is bigger [5' 11", 223 pounds] than you think. I love the quarterback, [senior Trace McSorley]. He doesn’t look like much in warmups, but he’s a winner. He’s excellent at keeping plays alive. The tight end, [6' 6", 252-pound senior Mike Gesicki] pops on film. He’s so athletic, and you don’t have many answers for him. They’re not great on the O-line, but that back makes them look better. And they’re well-coached. Bringing Joe Moorhead on as the coordinator [before the 2016 season] is the best move James Franklin made. They don’t do a lot formationally, but they’re dangerous because they run their system so well and they can expose you on the perimeter.

They won’t wow you with their talent in the front seven, but they’re aggressive and [DC Brent] Pry will come after you. Curtis Cothran [a 6' 5", 280-pound senior defensive tackle] could play for anyone. He moves well for an inside guy. They were banged up at linebacker, and it showed, but I like [6' 1", 232-pound senior Jason] Cabinda. He jumps out. Christian Campbell [a 6' 1", 194-pound senior] has impressed us. He’s a long corner who can run and tackle.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/08/10/preseason-top-25-teams-rival-scouting-reports

STATE COLLEGE - Ricky Rahne is in the process of buying a house in State College after passing on the opportunity to do so in Nashville, Tenn., when he was an assistant coach at Vanderbilt.

The reason? Fourth year Penn State head coach, and one-time Commordores' leader James Franklin. Confused? Allow Rahne, entering his year four with the Nittany Lions as well, to explain.

"I do remember one day when we were at our last place, and I remember asking [Franklin], 'hey, are we going to be here forever,' cause I was thinking about buying a house, and he said, 'yeah,' and I said what if Penn State opens up, and he got real quiet, so I took that as I shouldn't buy a house," Rahne recalled here on Tuesday night.

"I did not buy a house there. I knew this is the only place he would have left the other place for."

STATE COLLEGE - Ricky Rahne is in the process of buying a house in State College after passing on the opportunity to do so in Nashville, Tenn., when he was an assistant coach at Vanderbilt.

The reason? Fourth year Penn State head coach, and one-time Commordores' leader James Franklin. Confused? Allow Rahne, entering his year four with the Nittany Lions as well, to explain.

"I do remember one day when we were at our last place, and I remember asking [Franklin], 'hey, are we going to be here forever,' cause I was thinking about buying a house, and he said, 'yeah,' and I said what if Penn State opens up, and he got real quiet, so I took that as I shouldn't buy a house," Rahne recalled here on Tuesday night.

"I did not buy a house there. I knew this is the only place he would have left the other place for."

The thing I find most interesting about those comments is that Rahne clearly implies that he knew Coach Franklin's "destination job" was PSU before PSU ever came calling. One would have to presume that Rahne knew this information from his personal relationship with Franklin (they coached together at KSU early in their coaching careers and were long-time friends). IOW, Coach Franklin was not bs'ing about being a lifelong PSU fan and the PSU job always being his "dream" coaching destination position.

Game by game predictions for Penn State from 5 Athlon writers. 1 @ 12-0, 3 @ 11-1, 1 @ 10-2

TraceMcSorley_2016_6.jpg

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/penn-state-football-game-game-predictions-2017

J.P. Scott (@TheJPScott)

I'm all in on the Nittany Lions in 2017. With 10 starters returning on offense – including the conference's best running back and arguably best quarterback – Penn State should have little trouble putting points on the board. Defensively, this unit is a good enough combination of veteran leadership and young talent to slow down most teams it will face. Couple that with a rather easy schedule outside of the trip to Columbus in late October to face the Buckeyes, and I can realistically see James Franklin's squad running the table. That said, road trip to Iowa and Northwestern in the first half of the season do stick out to me as trap games to keep an eye on.

Game by game predictions for Penn State from 5 Athlon writers. 1 @ 12-0, 3 @ 11-1, 1 @ 10-2

TraceMcSorley_2016_6.jpg

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/penn-state-football-game-game-predictions-2017

J.P. Scott (@TheJPScott)

I'm all in on the Nittany Lions in 2017. With 10 starters returning on offense – including the conference's best running back and arguably best quarterback – Penn State should have little trouble putting points on the board. Defensively, this unit is a good enough combination of veteran leadership and young talent to slow down most teams it will face. Couple that with a rather easy schedule outside of the trip to Columbus in late October to face the Buckeyes, and I can realistically see James Franklin's squad running the table. That said, road trip to Iowa and Northwestern in the first half of the season do stick out to me as trap games to keep an eye on.

Easy schedule? Penn State plays the 2 darlings back-to-back followed immediately by MSU and adds 3 of the top 4 from the West. Although many fans here assume a rout vs Pitt, I don't consider that game "easy." I'm guessing most people felt Pitt was easy for Clemson, too. Heck, I think Indiana can be a tough game ... certainly not "easy."

Perhaps I am just tainted by the false mantra of years gone by about Penn State having an "easy schedule" every year ... and subsequently not getting voted #1 despite 4 unbeaten, untied, bowl-winning seasons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT