ADVERTISEMENT

2016 Pre Season Camp Reports

In this case, the battle with Trace and Tommy is a GOOD thing: Because of our system and the fact that NOW our quarterback is a weapon to be used to both run the football more often, and to move the pocket and avoid negative plays, I have a good feeling we're going to need both of them this year, without any drop-off. It's good news that they are both improving and will both be assets on the field of play.

Reactions: Blueblood4eva
I'm surprised that Franklin's statement last night that Tommy Stevens has closed the gap against McSorley has gone mostly without comment. They are even right now.

Stevens could very well be our starter opening day.

Interesting. When I watched the video, I heard Franklin acknowledge that Tommy has made up some ground but I don't recall hearing him say they were even. Did he talk with reporters outside the press conference?

Interesting. When I watched the video, I heard Franklin acknowledge that Tommy has made up some ground but I don't recall hearing him say they were even. Did he talk with reporters outside the press conference?

I can't listen to it now...but what I remember is:

Reporter: After spring ball, you talked about there being a gap between Trance and Tommy. Has that gap been erased?
JF: Yes.

Edit: Just listened again. You were mostly right.

"Has he made up ground?"
"Yes"

Last edited:
Reactions: LionJim
I can't listen to it now...but what I remember is:

Reporter: After spring ball, you talked about there being a gap between Trance and Tommy. Has that gap been erased?
JF: Yes.

Oh ok. The question I heard was "has he made up ground?" I would be surprised to have heard Franklin answer anything besides yes. As a practical matter, if no ground was made up in the first week, then it would be tougher for Franklin to say the competition would be ongoing. Regardless of how it plays out, I don't think we were ever going to hear any announcements one way or the other before the week of the first game.

Oh ok. The question I heard was "has he made up ground?" I would be surprised to have heard Franklin answer anything besides yes. As a practical matter, if no ground was made up in the first week, then it would be tougher for Franklin to say the competition would be ongoing. Regardless of how it plays out, I don't think we were ever going to hear any announcements one way or the other before the week of the first game.

I think the job is truly up in the air, and if I had to handicap it today I would go 51/49 Stevens. I think the 4 to 5 inch height advantage and Tommy being a little more of a vocal leader works to his advantage.

Have no rooting interest, like them both.

Good point. McSorley looked great in the spring game but it is hard to get a feel for how good of a runner he is when there is no contact on the QB. McSorley is a little on the small side. Aside from that, its my only concern. Stevens passes the looks test.

I took it that CJF was sending a message though, to try and keep both QB's focused and working hard. I suspect both will see a decent amount of time in this offense.
Did he not do some nice stuff in the bowl game?

I think the job is truly up in the air, and if I had to handicap it today I would go 51/49 Stevens. I think the 4 to 5 inch height advantage and Tommy being a little more of a vocal leader works to his advantage.

Lack of height means batted balls if the OL doesn't provide lanes to pass through. Tough to run a quick release, timing offense that way. Physical advantage to Stevens.

Lack of height means batted balls if the OL doesn't provide lanes to pass through. Tough to run a quick release, timing offense that way. Physical advantage to Stevens.

Height is certainly an advantage but doesn't impact batted balls as much as one might think. A 6'4" QB's release point is not higher than a defensive linemans' raised hands. So tall QBs must still find throwing lanes. Height primary helps with seeing the field.

Reactions: Blueblood4eva
Guys,

Few things. Saying there is a QB battle imho is lip service by the staff. We have heard for months on end Trace has the buy in and respect of the team and as leader of the team/offense this matters greatly. I do believe Stevens can be very good, but i believe it will be McSorley. I think he has a bit more poise from being there longer.

No one should care about current OL depth chart. It is fun to speculate but Franklin said it will be tweaked until they get the best 5. We know the only jobs really up for battle are:

LT - Beh or Mahon
RG - sounds like any one of Mahon, McGovern, Menet, Dowrey.

The other line spots are locked up. This group still greatly concerns me as i didn't like the play of some of the OL in spring game. Dowrey was bad against a walk on, he whiffs a lot because he lacks athleticism. McGovern was at tackle and was poor but that was an experiment and i believe he was a bit out of place, Gaia was actually decent and snapped it really well even though the one practice video showed other wise. I still do not see a mauling OL and perhaps that isn't totally necessary for success in this type of offense although i do not know? Moorhead certainly ran it a lot at Fordham. It appeared to me the center in a Moorhead spread offense blocks down a lot, has double team help, and moves a bit so perhaps this helps a kid like Gaia from head to head match ups.

The skill positions on this team are really loaded and i am far far from a homer. When you consider a mix of Godwin, Hamilton, Blacknall, Barkley, Allen, Sanders, Polk, Thompkins, Charles and Johnson on the field! I am trying to recall a time in the last 20 yrs where PSU had that much firepower. I honestly do not believe PSU ever had that much skill. That really should make life easier on an OC and on installing a new system.

Defense: Only position up for grabs is really the one DT spot. We know P. Cothran is a lock and either Givens, Cothren or White at the other. This means very little because we know we will sub in a bunch of guys here. This is one area i wish recruiting could pick up.

Safety is not up for grabs it will be Golden along side Allen. Not sure i love Golden there but assuming Tim Banks knows the kid can cover. Barring injuries (sigh) this defense could be pretty good. Does it have to be as good as last yr? I do not think so it is about time a PSU offense bails out the defense right? Seems every y defense does it part and offense fails us.

Special teams: KR - assuming a mix of Farmer, Sanders, Barkley & Polk. I do not like Saquan there simply because Moorhead pounds the ball and we need this kid.

PR - i hope Allen gets a strong look as well as Sanders.

Kicker - Davis bank on it.

Punter - I hope Gilken !

Anyhow, lets chat it up what do you guys think?

Reactions: Option Bob and T J
Agreed, and that is a good thing. I really hope Limegrover gets the best 5 OL settled soon. We all know if the OL is bad enter 6 win season.

Maybe it's just a mind game to push McSorley a bit more, or to reward Stevens for working hard. Nothing more, nothing less.

On the "more" side, it is very important for PSU to have at least 2 QBs fully ready to go this season, imo.

Liking everything we've heard about the JoMo offense. Glad we will get to see it this season, with this deep pool of talent.

However, a dual-threat QB who takes off and runs on occasion, is more vulnerable to dings and possibly the need for a break, after a long run, for example. Believe Moorehead likely wants a strong two-deep at QB, so that he can rely on either leader to step in and "Keep the show on the road."

So getting both ready physically as well as mentally to be "the guy" at any moment, is likely part of the overall plan.

Reactions: Option Bob
That part about that true freshman starting for Ohio State CANNOT BE RIGHT.

We all know that in the history of the sport, only Stefan Wisniewski was special enough to start as a true freshman.

Kind of like your comments that JF does not start underclassmen on the OL even though he started Mahon, Nelson as RS freshman, Gaia and Dowrey as RS sophomores which was their FIRST year on the OL.

Who was the Stefan Wisniewski sitting on the bench the in 2014 and 2015?

Guys,

Few things. Saying there is a QB battle imho is lip service by the staff. We have heard for months on end Trace has the buy in and respect of the team and as leader of the team/offense this matters greatly. I do believe Stevens can be very good, but i believe it will be McSorley. I think he has a bit more poise from being there longer.

No one should care about current OL depth chart. It is fun to speculate but Franklin said it will be tweaked until they get the best 5. We know the only jobs really up for battle are:

LT - Beh or Mahon

The other line spots are locked up. This group still greatly concerns me as i didn't like the play of some of the OL in spring game. Dowrey was bad against a walk on, he whiffs a lot because he lacks athleticism. McGovern was at tackle and was poor but that was an experiment and i believe he was a bit out of place, Gaia was actually decent and snapped it really well even though the one practice video showed other wise. I still do not see a mauling OL and perhaps that isn't totally necessary for success in this type of offense although i do not know? Moorhead certainly ran it a lot at Fordham. It appeared to me the center in a Moorhead spread offense blocks down a lot, has double team help, and moves a bit so perhaps this helps a kid like Gaia from head to head match ups.

The skill positions on this team are really loaded and i am far far from a homer. When you consider a mix of Godwin, Hamilton, Blacknall, Barkley, Allen, Sanders, Polk, Thompkins, Charles and Johnson on the field! I am trying to recall a time in the last 20 yrs where PSU had that much firepower. I honestly do not believe PSU ever had that much skill. That really should make life easier on an OC and on installing a new system.

Defense: Only position up for grabs is really the one DT spot. We know P. Cothran is a lock and either Givens, Cothren or White at the other. This means very little because we know we will sub in a bunch of guys here. This is one area i wish recruiting could pick up.

Safety is not up for grabs it will be Golden along side Allen. Not sure i love Golden there but assuming Tim Banks knows the kid can cover. Barring injuries (sigh) this defense could be pretty good. Does it have to be as good as last yr? I do not think so it is about time a PSU offense bails out the defense right? Seems every y defense does it part and offense fails us.

Special teams: KR - assuming a mix of Farmer, Sanders, Barkley & Polk. I do not like Saquan there simply because Moorhead pounds the ball and we need this kid.

Punter - I hope Gilken !

You seem to discount Robinson at RB who is a better prospect than the guy that started at ND last year. (The 3rd best PA RB in the 2015 class). His contribution will allow Sanders to take KO's.

Reactions: T J
You seem to discount Robinson at RB who is a better prospect than the guy that started at ND last year. His contribution will allow Sanders to take KO's.

Hope you are right about Robinson's contributions. That would be great to see, along with our other potent talent.

LT - Beh or Mahon

There is a real qb battle. Stevens has been running with the ones.

RG has been Bates, who you didnt name.

What is the Mike Tyson line? Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. I am comfortable with either guy. I think Trace has more maturity and experience but I like the size of Stevens. When you run the QB a lot, he's going to take a lot of hits. Both guys will play substantial minutes this year.

Did he not do some nice stuff in the bowl game?
Yes he did. But it was after GA had a lead and was tuned to stop a totally different offense with a totally different QB. Nothing against Trace, just that it will be different for him this year when teams game plan against him and study his tendencies.

I am comfortable with either guy and bet they both play a lot of minutes. Our QB, in this hurry up offense with a running QB, is going to take a lot of hits this year. They'll be time for both of them.

Judge,

I believe Tommy should get reps with the ones and see how he does, but i do not believe some of the intangible stuff is up to par yet with him as opposed to McSorley. I also believe because he is getting first team reps doesn't mean he isn't still second sting.

Not sure what i missed, so far we know it is definitely Nelson, Bates and Gaia. That leaves the left tackle spot and whichever guard spot.

The tackle battle is clearly Beh and Mahon. The other guard will go to either Mahon, McGovern, Menet or Dowrey. Where do we disagree?

First i ever heard of Tommy being more vocal than Trace. News to me?

Guys,

LT - Beh or Mahon

Punter - I hope Gilken !

What are the OL spots are locked up except for Gaia at center and Nelson at RT? Bates at RG? Where does Palmer fit in, LT along with Mahon & Beh?

The problem with all of those skill players is that there is only 1 football, Allen, Sanders, Polk, Thompkins, Charles and Johnson are going to struggle for PT if not on ST. Do you think Thompkins days as PR are over?

I'll be interested to see if Taylor can crack the 2 deep. He as highly recruited. It will also be interesting if Farmer gets much action at safety (and if he'll take another crack at LB next year).

Davis might kick FGs but who is going to kick off? We need a big leg.

Punter will also be interesting. I don't expect Gillikin to start vs. Kent State but I do expect the incumbents to be on a short leash.

Judge,

I believe Tommy should get reps with the ones and see how he does, but i do not believe some of the intangible stuff is up to par yet with him as opposed to McSorley. I also believe because he is getting first team reps doesn't mean he isn't still second sting.

Not sure what i missed, so far we know it is definitely Nelson, Bates and Gaia. That leaves the left tackle spot and whichever guard spot.

The tackle battle is clearly Beh and Mahon. The other guard will go to either Mahon, McGovern, Menet or Dowrey. Where do we disagree?

First i ever heard of Tommy being more vocal than Trace. News to me?

So why dont you use the multi colored font like you do on the Pitt board, Cap?

Reactions: joestheman

Being a onsistent winner at the highest kevel in an excellent HS football state proves that he has overcone any size disadvantage. Coaches really like kids who are champions and three times is amazing.

Reactions: joestheman
https://bwi.rivals.com/news/godwin-updates-offense-s-progress

The concept of Joe Moorhead’s new offense at Penn State is basic enough.

Streamlined teaching, building one concept on the next, and a limited menu of plays that are presented in a variety of ways; all of it done very, very quickly.

“There’s not any lengthy calls, everything’s a one- or two-word call at the line of scrimmage. For the most part the only people that are hearing words are the offensive linemen and that’s because the quarterback’s communicating to them. Everyone else it’s from a signal,” said Moorhead.

“I just think it's our understanding of the offense and the tempo that we want to go at,” said Godwin. “Every day, we're constantly trying to push the tempo faster and faster so when the games come, they're a little bit easier than practice so that we're dictating the tempo and we're going as fast as we want to go. I think that's our constant growth, just executing plays perfectly at a really fast tempo.”

On one impressive player this preseason: “I think a young guy that I've been really impressed with this camp has been Garrett Taylor. He's gotten a little bit bigger this offseason and he's really worked on his techniques, so I think he's doing a great job against all of our receivers, honestly.”

Saying center is "locked up", is absurd: 72 has played like a D2 lineman his entire career.
Then, what's it say about Wendy Laurent, who was the heir apparent at center, when they move Gaia from guard and he is instantly the uncontested starter. Maybe, the staff knows more than you do.

Nice to hear that about Garrett Taylor. Would also like to hear some about the development of Ayron Monroe and Jarvis Miller.

I'll put it here as well. This is huge. If Pitt run defense is similar this year, it's lights out. LIGHTS OUT on 9/10.

Then, what's it say about Wendy Laurent, who was the heir apparent at center, when they move Gaia from guard and he is instantly the uncontested starter. Maybe, the staff knows more than you do.

They don't have anyone else ready to play the position. Laurent is a career backup with his best offer from a low tier MAC school. They were so bad at center last year that even Laurent had to come in and play. You can't defend 72 by comparing him to a kid who is ALSO at the same level.

As soon as Gonzales, or Fries, or McGovern, or just about anybody outside of the walk ons is ready, they'll be on the field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT