ADVERTISEMENT

2016 Pre Season Camp Reports

Know Billy Fessler's Father (and his Father's brothers very well) - he was a "Preferred Walk-on" at PSU in 2014. His younger brother Charlie (2015 class) was a National Recruit (6'4" 205lb Ath/WR) - he ended up going to Northwestern over UNL, believe it or not. Redshirted in 2015 and is being shown on the 2-Deep at WR for 2016. PSU never offered I don't believe - in some ways, I wish they would have gone after him and looked to have him play on the defensive side of the ball.

Franklin is smart. I was just thinking the other night, they should have Barkley be roommates with Sanders. Barkley has great work ethic, super team first guy. Sure enough....

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...ebrows-for-Nottany-Lions/stories/201608060057

“Every time I just watch him (Sanders), I’m just like, ‘Wow, I’m happy we’re on the same team now,’ ” Sterling Jenkins, a redshirt sophomore, said. “He was a pretty good high school player. We played him a few times. [Baldwin was] on the bad end of it. It’s cool to have him around, and I know that he’s doing well, and I know that the guys are impressed with him. So I’m proud of him in that sense.”

Barkley, who rushed for a freshman-record 1,076 yards, has taken on mentoring Sanders just as former Penn State running back Akeel Lynch did for him. He has given Sanders such advice as “take care of your body, be smart, don’t be a dumb freshman,” which means going to bed early, drinking enough water and stretching at night.

“Now we have four backs, [Sanders has a] really good chance of playing this year, whether it’s special teams or on the field as RB,” Barkley said. “And I’m roomies with him, so any questions he has with the playbook, every night before we go to sleep, I go over the playbook with him. And it’s even insurance for me, like, ‘All right, oh, I might have missed that.’ ”

Sanders has him beat in quads/butt. For a freshman, he is well built.

They both look impressive for freshmen. I believe both play this year. Sanders may be closer to the camera which would explain why he looks kinda as big as Simmons in some regards, because as well built as both are Simmons at 240 should look bigger in about every regard versus Sanders at just under 200....

Reactions: grinagrin
Barkley, who rushed for a freshman-record 1,076 yards, has taken on mentoring Sanders just as former Penn State running back Akeel Lynch did for him. He has given Sanders such advice as “take care of your body, be smart, don’t be a dumb freshman,” which means going to bed early, drinking enough water and stretching at night.

Barkley is just such an impressive young man with or without the football

Seeing the photos of Palmer he is starting to pack some guns... His arms/shoulders are so much larger/tone versus last year. Really looking like he is rounding into shape and a true OT. I think he has the athleticism to play at this level, just needed the experience and weight room training. Good to see.... For now I guess he is running with the 2's... See if that changes at all.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Seeing the photos of Palmer he is starting to pack some guns... His arms/shoulders are so much larger/tone versus last year. Really looking like he is rounding into shape and a true OT. I think he has the athleticism to play at this level, just needed the experience and weight room training. Good to see.... For now I guess he is running with the 2's... See if that changes at all.

For the first time in a very very long time, I have faith that Matt Limegrover has been given autonomy by James Franklin on personnel. If Paris is one of the two best tackles in the next 2 weeks, he'll be starting against Kent State. If not, then he will be on the 2nd unit, but he WILL be a better football player this year, and if needed, I think he might be able to be an asset. Fingers crossed.

http://www.roarlionsroar.com/penn-s...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

2016 PENN STATE SEASON PREVIEW: OFFENSIVE LINE

On the field, the most significant addition right now is Ryan Bates, a redshirt freshman who appears headed toward plowing opponents from one of the starting guard spots. And, based on Franklin's comments at the start of fall practice last week, some of the true freshmen could see time right away or as the season progresses. They're all big and getting bigger:

http://www.roarlionsroar.com/penn-s...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

2016 PENN STATE SEASON PREVIEW: OFFENSIVE LINE

On the field, the most significant addition right now is Ryan Bates, a redshirt freshman who appears headed toward plowing opponents from one of the starting guard spots. And, based on Franklin's comments at the start of fall practice last week, some of the true freshmen could see time right away or as the season progresses. They're all big and getting bigger:

The OL in 2 years will be one of the stronger units on the team. It's nice to be able to start building depth there and give the young guys a year or two to grow up so that they are physically ready to play. It's also nice to have the exception to that rule in a guy like Menet. From what I understand Fries is also turning some heads.

Reactions: Ranger Dan

Good for him, but from what I've seen, I just don't think he can play. I think we see Beh at left tackle. Would love for Palmer to prove me wrong: go out and play well.

giphy.gif

Good for him, but from what I've seen, I just don't think he can play. I think we see Beh at left tackle. Would love for Palmer to prove me wrong: go out and play well.

It's a good question Judge... Not sure myself. Hoping that the strength and another year in the system with some good coaching he can now become a solid back up and possible starter. I am not sure about him... sometimes I think ok this kid can play other times I see him and think he is always going to really struggle.

It's a good question Judge... Not sure myself. Hoping that the strength and another year in the system with some good coaching he can now become a solid back up and possible starter. I am not sure about him... sometimes I think ok this kid can play other times I see him and think he is always going to really struggle.

I've just seen too many plays where the guy is a turnstile. Even late in the year last year. I think it would be good news if a redshirt soph in Beh can win that job. Have an experienced left tackle for the next 3 years, when Penn State is going to make a push.

Reactions: bwifan
Every time I see Gaia, I think he looks small. Wonder if McGovern sees the field at all this year.

Isnt McGovern lines up at LG in this vid? I have seen Gaia play since HS and have never thought of him as a good OL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT