ADVERTISEMENT

2016 Pre Season Camp Reports

Isnt McGovern lines up at LG in this vid? I have seen Gaia play since HS and have never thought of him as a good OL

Could be. I did read McGovern was looking better at the shot gun snaps than Gaia, so maybe they are moving him around.

Another view of Barkley's ridiculouslness...

Wowwy wow wow WOW...they had him dead to rights. Now, its four on four so there is less field clutter to contend with, but this kids moves are special...he sees the field so well. If the line comes together, could be a special year that exceeds expectations.

Reactions: T J
I've just seen too many plays where the guy is a turnstile. Even late in the year last year. I think it would be good news if a redshirt soph in Beh can win that job. Have an experienced left tackle for the next 3 years, when Penn State is going to make a push.

I don't understand what happened to Sorrell, Brosnan, and Wright. Sorrell and Brosnan had work to do in the weight room as well as size to add, but as with Beh they are RS sophs now. Wright looks huge in every picture, he went to prep school and is a year older than other RS sophs, and is at Guard, but must not have what it takes to be a big road grader inside.... If that OL class could have delivered 2 capable starters.......... but is seems that the younger olinemen have blown by these 3 on the depth chart.

OSU looks like they are going to start a true frosh at LG. Menet was every bit the prospect as Michael Jordan.

Reactions: bmw199
I don't understand what happened to Sorrell, Brosnan, and Wright. Sorrell and Brosnan had work to do in the weight room as well as size to add, but as with Beh they are RS sophs now. Wright looks huge in every picture, he went to prep school and is a year older than other RS sophs, and is at Guard, but must not have what it takes to be a big road grader inside.... If that OL class could have delivered 2 capable starters..........

College OL is a total crap shoot. Most of those guys came in light and are now ready from a size standpoint to contribute, but maybe they lost something along the way while getting bigger? Feet, agility? Then you have some kids who are huge and just lack the aggression to play at this level so other kids beat them out. There are only a handful of kids each year that are blessed with everything early on in college to play OL. The vast majority work their arses off to get bigger and better. It seems like most have worked to get to bigger and now the competition is sorting itself out. 17 guys on ship and the best 5 get to start.

College OL is a total crap shoot. Most of those guys came in light and are now ready from a size standpoint to contribute, but maybe they lost something along the way while getting bigger? Feet, agility? Then you have some kids who are huge and just lack the aggression to play at this level so other kids beat them out. There are only a handful of kids each year that are blessed with everything early on in college to play OL. The vast majority work their arses off to get bigger and better. It seems like most have worked to get to bigger and now the competition is sorting itself out. 17 guys on ship and the best 5 get to start.

Yep, but way back when it looked like CJF did a great job of closing out the 2013 class by bringing in 4 3-star Olinemen. It's a crap shoot, so if Beh is a 3 year starter and performs at a good level when he settles into the position we should consider that OL class somewhat of a success....

I have zero doubts that Franklin and Linegrower will start the best players. If Menet is able to push through to get one of those starting spot, would be a great sign.

I just think that when your true freshman is surrounded by great players, it's a bit easier for him to succeed and look good. I think that last year, even if we had a freshman who may have been better than what we had playing, there was no way they'd be as quick to throw him to the wolves when everybody around him is sucking.

Now, to your point, the kid is obviously very good. In OSU's situation, though, that kid is going to have some help when he needs it. Less so in our situation. If the situation is not ideal, no point in pushing things.

https://bwi.rivals.com/news/limegrover-talks-development-of-psu-s-freshman-ol

From the extent of the comments from Limegrover about McGovern, he might be the first frosh to see action.

A couple of true freshman are included in that group, one of whom is January enrollee Connor McGovern. And with a freshman like McGovern comes an exception to the cross-train rule. Recruited to Penn State from Lake Lehman (Pa.) as a center, the 6-foot-5, 310-pound McGovern offers a size and skill set combination that can be utilized at almost any position across the line.

“As was documented in the spring, we tried him at a few different spots and that was by design to get an idea of where he fit,” Limegrover said. “If he was a guy that was going to have the ability to help us early, what could he do for us? He’s a guy who brings a lot of versatility, but we're going to play him at center and have him go there. The nice thing was that, even though it was a little bit of trial by fire (in the spring), he’s a guy, who I know if we need to, he has the mental makeup and maturity, even though he’s a young guy, to be able to jump in there and do a number of different things.”

“I’ve got to give the staff credit, because it’s as good of a freshman recruiting class on the offensive line that you’ll see anywhere,” Limegrover said. “Anybody touting their 2016 offensive linemen, I’ll put that group of four up against any of them. Connor, Will Fries, obviously Michal Menet and Alex Gellerstsedt."

I think Limegrover's comments explain why Brosnan and Sorrell and Wright are having a hard time getting their collective feet in the door. Those guys needed to make an impact last year if they wanted a shot at starting this year. With this year's class and the people arriving next year, the only chance any of those three are now likely to have would be the result of injuries.
Beh is a guy who I thought should have played more last year. It's funny because back in 2014, everybody was saying he was the least likely of the younger OL's to contribute. Some writers were saying he'd be moved to DE before long. So much for the conventional wisdom.

Reactions: Judge Smails
I could watch that about a 1,000Xs. Saw just about every angle........now we just need some breakdowns on key people's faces (in slo-mo)......Franklin, Huff, Spence, Juwan, Robinson.....oh man, that would be a sweet little montage.

I know, I'm fan-boy'n out.

Reactions: LionJim
That part about that true freshman starting for Ohio State CANNOT BE RIGHT.

We all know that in the history of the sport, only Stefan Wisniewski was special enough to start as a true freshman.

Menet will be a starter before long. Just a can't miss kid. Will be interesting to see if he turns out as the best recruit in that class (have a feeling 24 and 34 will have something to say about that0.

First Day in Pads Sights & Sounds

Poor Garrett Taylor (#17), trying to tackle Sanders (#24), but first you have to be able to just touch him.... Good luck!

I'll be Sooooo disappointed if Sanders is not returning KOs... That's the kind of cut that can result in Looooooooooooooooooooong returns......

Last edited:
Anybody else notice the matchup of Simmons and Miller ?
Pretty impressive physicality from a true freshman.

Okay, now im really starting to think Barkley's run was staged. I mean it was either staged, or honestly that's the worst tackling at any level in the country.

Hoo hoo hoooooo! You see that Miles Sanders jump cut! Damn, son!

xgz9nkR.gif

Reactions: Judge Smails
Okay, now im really starting to think Barkley's run was staged. I mean it was either staged, or honestly that's the worst tackling at any level in the country.
I don't know. looks like Schwann was looking at Barkley's shoulders, Cothren fell down as we was trying to tackle him, but Sickels angle of pursuit is probably the worst thing.

I don't know. looks like Schwann was looking at Barkley's shoulders, Cothren fell down as we was trying to tackle him, but Sickels angle of pursuit is probably the worst thing.
I thought about that, I mean Cothren takes time to adjust his helmet, who does that in a tackling drill, but after watching the other kids reaction, the cheering etc, that does not look staged, but ligit. So I am going with real. That said, not happy with #72 at all.

Reactions: bmw199
I thought about that, I mean Cothren takes time to adjust his helmet, who does that in a tackling drill, but after watching the other kids reaction, the cheering etc, that does not look staged, but ligit. So I am going with real. That said, not happy with #72 at all.
Yea, plus all those people are going to keep their mouth shut that it was staged? Plus why make like 6 guys on your team look bad so that one looks good?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT