ADVERTISEMENT

2016 Pre Season Camp Reports

Maybe it's not just coach speak when CJF is saying Steven's is making ground and still doesn't know who the starter is. According to Dienhart he believes Tommy is going to win the job. After Trace's almost perfect performance in the Spring Game, who really saw this coming? As a lot of us agree on, they will both see a lot of snaps during the season.

Nyeem seems to be coming along more than fine after season ending knee surgery.

McGovern enrolling early in the winter has helped him a lot and is now challenging to win one of the OG spots. Still wasn't happy to hear this line is still a work in progress but with our new spread out fast paced offense, and our mobile QB's, they shouldn't be as much of a liability as the previous 2 years. At least in the passing game.

And the OL could transition in mid season to replace any starters that are not getting it done. There are legit 2nd team players, such as McGovern, that will keep competing and potentially take jobs away if a starter stumbles.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I'm going to get killed for this, but if these guys aren't good enough to get on the field this year, they should seriously think of putting on 25-30 pounds and lining up as tight ends. That's what they most likely will be at the next level anyway. If you're 6-5 and run a 4.4 that's one thing, but if you don't run at least sub 4.5, you're more effective as a tight end anyway.

OL guess :
LT - Mahon, Beh
LG - Bates, McGovern
C- Gaia, Laurent
RG - Menet, Dowrey
RT - Nelson, Palmer

Reactions: bmw199

Bowen's been hitting the gym....

SNL%20Bench_zps6sgfxksu.gif

I'm going to get killed for this, but if these guys aren't good enough to get on the field this year, they should seriously think of putting on 25-30 pounds and lining up as tight ends. That's what they most likely will be at the next level anyway. If you're 6-5 and run a 4.4 that's one thing, but if you don't run at least sub 4.5, you're more effective as a tight end anyway.

Irvin Charles is one of the fastest guys on the team, and Juwan Johnson ran track very successfully in HS.

We are recruiting tight ends who are tight ends. You don't want to put a wide receiver in a three point stance next to your tackle and ask them to make blocks on a defensive end when they've never done that before. No matter what they weigh.

And they are both RS Frosh. Both have been practicing well and getting mentions of doing some nice things. I'm sure they are going to be part of the rotation, no reason they wouldn't be with their talent. But even if that wasn't the case, why would that mean they should change positions? Part of getting back to being an elite program means having talented depth. As JF continues to recruit like he has, we'll see more and more of this. It's how you want things to work.

OL guess :
LT - Mahon, Beh
LG - Bates, McGovern
C- Gaia, Laurent
RG - Menet, Dowrey
RT - Nelson, Palmer

I am just thinking about the quality/longevity/leadership that Menet and Bates are going to provide over the next several years. Hopefully we have another Munchak/Farrell in the works. Add in McGovern and this team is going to be very strong up the middle for a number of years.

So who is McGovern pushing? Gaia at C or for a G spot. As I understood it out of all the Gs Bates was 1 then everything else was a battle for the other spot. So is it Menet v McGovern v Dowery? Or Menet v Dowery with Gaia v McGovern at C?

Personally by 8:00 PM on Sept 24th in Ann Arbor I think the best lineup we can put out talent wise would be:
Mahon, Bates, McGovern, Menet, Nelson

Reactions: grinagrin
QUOTE="bwifan, post: 2138276, member: 3138"]Ahhh got it... so we can ignore the tweets by media members telling us that Menet and McGovern are splitting rep's with the 1st teamers...[/QUOTE]
BWI, you know with 21 you have to consider the source.;)

Reactions: bwifan
yea but they got rules against that.
Not sure what rules you speaking about.I do know Franklin wants his student/athletes to graduate in 3 years and he has redshirted several players.What rules are you referring to that impede the placement of 5th year seniors?

Not sure what rules you speaking about.I do know Franklin wants his student/athletes to graduate in 3 years and he has redshirted several players.What rules are you referring to that impede the placement of 5th year seniors?
I don't think PP had 3 to play 2. I believe he was a 2 to play 2 guy so it can't happen. Don't worry, he'll start this year as Franklin promised his JUCO coach that according to sluggo. :rolleyes: Kidding of course as nobody really believed that anyway.

This OL news is actually quite good news in my opinion. I believe it is very clear we have four certainties.

RT - Nelson
C - Gaia
LG - Bates
LT - Mahon

So based on what I am reading RG is really the only thing up for grabs that battle is between incumbent Dowrey, Menet and Mcgovern.

So OL is all but settled and I like that group. Qb is really believe Mcsorleys to lose in a week and I don't believe that will happen.

Sounds like I have been sleeping on Charles at wr. He sure looks legit in these various clips.

I don't think PP had 3 to play 2. I believe he was a 2 to play 2 guy so it can't happen. Don't worry, he'll start this year as Franklin promised his JUCO coach that according to sluggo. :rolleyes: Kidding of course as nobody really believed that anyway.
Thanks,I learned something new.

So who is McGovern pushing? Gaia at C or for a G spot. As I understood it out of all the Gs Bates was 1 then everything else was a battle for the other spot. So is it Menet v McGovern v Dowery? Or Menet v Dowery with Gaia v McGovern at C?

Personally by 8:00 PM on Sept 24th in Ann Arbor I think the best lineup we can put out talent wise would be:
Mahon, Bates, McGovern, Menet, Nelson

McGovern has been competing at guard and center. I think their first priority is to see if McGovern or Menet can beat out Dowrey. If McGovern doesn't win the 1st string RG job, I think he backs up Gaia and presses him for the starting role. IMO. They are giving those 2 true frosh every opportunity to win a job. And even if it isn't for Kent State, could see them starting later in the year.

4722242.jpg

(Photo: Sean Fitz, 247Sports)

Offensive Guard Ryan Bates

A redshirt year did wonders for Bates, who could see his first action as a game-one starter this fall at guard. Bates arrived last summer at 279 pounds. He’s now listed at 305 and the difference is notable. The former four-star prospect is expected to be a multi-year starter and a centerpiece on the offensive line for the Nittany Lions in the coming years.

4440329.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
PP was given a more than a fair chance to become a player. At some point, you just have to cut your loses. Duda knows that, PSU knows that. Isnt it amazing that a kid that started 10 out of 12 games for you, isn't even in the conversation any longer?? Don't you find that intriguing? Don't you wonder, what happened?? Don't your ever think for yourself?

PP was given a more than a fair chance to become a player. At some point, you just have to cut your loses. Duda knows that, PSU knows that. Isnt it amazing that a kid that started 10 out of 12 games for you, isn't even in the conversation any longer?? Don't you find that intriguing? Don't you wonder, what happened?? Don't your ever think for yourself?
I do and I know it didn't happen. You made it up. It's fine you want to be a story teller, but it's pure fiction. Not even an ounce of truth to it.

Reactions: GregInPitt
McGovern has been competing at guard and center. I think their first priority is to see if McGovern or Menet can beat out Dowrey. If McGovern doesn't win the 1st string RG job, I think he backs up Gaia and presses him for the starting role. IMO. They are giving those 2 true frosh every opportunity to win a job. And even if it isn't for Kent State, could see them starting later in the year.

Thanks for the update, and I'm glad to see that the best players will play, regardless of their class.

It looks pretty certain that Menet and McGovern will not be redshirting, even if not starting early in the season.

The majority of pro and D1 WRs don't run under 4.5. Johnson and Charles aren't moving to TE in the foreseeable future. Another thing is that it is common for these tall long-striders to run not so good 40s or to be a step slow out of their cuts, but be very fast on fly patterns once they get that stride lengthened out.

The majority of pro and D1 WRs don't run under 4.5. Johnson and Charles aren't moving to TE in the foreseeable future. Another thing is that it is common for these tall long-striders to run not so good 40s or to be a step slow out of their cuts, but be very fast on fly patterns once they get that stride lengthened out.
This. good post.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT