ADVERTISEMENT

1985 Maryland game, one of my favorites.

I wish that Maryland would join the Big 10 so that we could play them every year.

Every 9th or 10 th year we had competitive games with MD.

This game started a nice run culminating in the Fiesta bowl win.

I liked the following year's game. Looked like a sure loss until Pete Curkendall intercepted a pass and ran it back about 70 yards. I thought the game was finally in hand but Henning took MD right down the field and we held on by stopping a 2 pt conversion.

Curkendall INT is at 22:28
2 pt conversion is near the end

Due to the heat, Joe didn't wear a tie. I remember it was a big deal to some people because it was supposedly the first time Joe didn't wear a tie during a game.

People forget Maryland was supposed to be pretty good that year. I believe they were ranked like 6th. Sports Illustrated even had them ranked #1 if memory serves.
I recall that as well. You have to love watching their Wide Tackle 6! on D.

Reactions: PSU87
We won the NC the following year playing the EXACT same regular season schedule. Don't think that was ever done before or since.

I liked the following year's game. Looked like a sure loss until Pete Curkendall intercepted a pass and ran it back about 70 yards. I thought the game was finally in hand but Henning took MD right down the field and we held on by stopping a 2 pt conversion.

Curkendall INT is at 22:28
2 pt conversion is near the end

Thanks for the video and memories ... I was at that 86 Maryland game which was two football seasons after I graduated. The cheerleader at the 27:33 mark was a little sister at my fraternity and my date for our Sweetheart formal. I saw her a few weeks after this game on the field in Tempe after Joe's second NC!

Last edited:
Reactions: bdgan
The loss to Oklahoma was crushing but many fellos stayed a fifth year to have another shot.

Will something like that will ever happen again? It seems like kids are jumping for the NFL long before they're ready. Barkley went early but that made sense. I'm talking about guys that don't even get drafted and just hope to pick up a free agent contract.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT