ADVERTISEMENT

Yianni all time ranking

Yianni pointed out on Twitter today that of his 20 victories at the NCAA tournament, 15 were over AAs (previous, current or future). More than every other 4x champion. I didn't look it up, but someone said "Looked old brackets I think Dake beat 12, Sanderson beat 13, and Stieber and Smith both beat 14."

And Arrington (NC State) is likely to AA in the future, bringing his total to 16 out of 20. That might go a little ways toward his low point total. How many points was he expected to get against Eierman (2x), McKenna, Meredith, Heil, Murin (2x), Demas (2x) and Sasso (2x)?

Just curious about how often that set above had been bonused in their careers prior to Yianni facing them in the tournament. Answer: not often!

Demas: once
Sasso: once
Murin: three
Heil: six (he got pinned *a ton*!)
Meredith: four
McKenna: three
Eierman: three (in the space of a month his soph year)

No idea how that compares to the opponents of bonus machines we've seen.
Yianni is an amazing wrestler but he wrestled in the EIWA and ended with a career bonus percentage of 59%. That’s fine the name of the game is to win but he wasn’t on same level as any of the PSU big 5 in terms of bonus. They all ended up above 75% for there career.

Just to compare one of our guys

Jason Nolf 117-3 Only two on the Mat losses to 2x champ and 4x finalist Issiah Martinez 4-3 TB and 6-5 for National Title both as a freshman 86.6 career bonus

Yianni 115-2 losses to Jayden Eireman 9-6 and Austin Gomez 9-3 career bonus 59%

Yianni has the 4 Titles and Nolf was way more dominant. You can make an argument for either wrestler both amazing. I’ll take Nolf

Yianni pointed out on Twitter today that of his 20 victories at the NCAA tournament, 15 were over AAs (previous, current or future). More than every other 4x champion. I didn't look it up, but someone said "Looked old brackets I think Dake beat 12, Sanderson beat 13, and Stieber and Smith both beat 14."

And Arrington (NC State) is likely to AA in the future, bringing his total to 16 out of 20. That might go a little ways toward his low point total. How many points was he expected to get against Eierman (2x), McKenna, Meredith, Heil, Murin (2x), Demas (2x) and Sasso (2x)?

Just curious about how often that set above had been bonused in their careers prior to Yianni facing them in the tournament. Answer: not often!

Demas: once
Sasso: once
Murin: three
Heil: six (he got pinned *a ton*!)
Meredith: four
McKenna: three
Eierman: three (in the space of a month his soph year)

No idea how that compares to the opponents of bonus machines we've seen.

You should be a Van Ness fan because winning the next 3 NCs will help Yianni's legacy.

I dug a little deeper because "strength of schedule" is an interesting subject. I looked at Dake because 12 seemed really low unless it was counting just matches. As you know, Dake had a unique opportunity to face a larger # of AAs due to being in four different weight classes. He wrestled 9 matches against AAs with the following total AAs:
R.Humphrey (aOSU) 2
M.Marion (Iowa) 3
J.Parks (OSU) 1
G.Sanjaa (Amer) 2
F.Molinaro (PSU) 4
D.St. John (Iowa) 4
N.Sulzer (UVA) 3
T.Caldwell (OSU) 4
D.Taylor (PSU) 4

27 AAs amongst the group.

Edit: Yianni wrestled 13 matches against AAs and is currently at 23 total AAs with a possibility of up to 29 with eligibility left for Van Ness, Sasso and Lovett.

Last edited:
You should be a Van Ness fan because winning the next 3 NCs will help Yianni's legacy.

I dug a little deeper because "strength of schedule" is an interesting subject. I looked at Dake because 12 seemed really low. As you know, Dake had a unique opportunity to face a larger # of AAs due to being in four different weight classes. Here's the count:
R.Humphrey (aOSU) 2
M.Marion (Iowa) 3
J.Parks (OSU) 1
G.Sanjaa (Amer) 2
F.Molinaro (PSU) 4
D.St. John (Iowa) 4
N.Sulzer (UVA) 3
T.Caldwell (OSU) 4
D.Taylor (PSU) 4

27 AAs amongst the group.
The "15 out of 20" was the number of guys who were AAs, not the total number of AAs held by the guys he beat, so Dake's "9 out of 20" isn't close (albeit with some seriously top-notch members!). By your counting method, Yianni has 33 AAs among the guys he beat. Add a couple more for expected AAs by Sasso, and Van Ness and Arrington (only freshmen), and he might finish near or at 40.

Spencer Lee had 22, as another comparison. RBY had 18 (but multiple losses keeps that number low).

The "15 out of 20" was the number of guys who were AAs, not the total number of AAs held by the guys he beat, so Dake's "9 out of 20" isn't close (albeit with some seriously top-notch members!). By your counting method, Yianni has 33 AAs among the guys he beat. Add a couple more for expected AAs by Sasso, and Van Ness and Arrington (only freshmen), and he might finish near or at 40.

Spencer Lee had 22, as another comparison. RBY had 18 (but multiple losses keeps that number low).

23 AAs unless I missed several wrestlers (I didn't count the Covid cancelled year):
Van Ness 1
Lovett 1
Sasso 3
Murin 1
Meredith 3
Heil 3
Red 3
Demas 1
Eierman 4
McKenna 3

Now lets compare with Bo Nickal. Both Nickal and Yianni had 13 matches against AAs (past/present/future - so far). All 13 of Yianni's were decisions. For Bo, 6 decisions, 1 MD, 6 pins. This does not take away from Yianni's accomplishments. It's just yet another metric to compare wrestlers.

Now lets compare with Bo Nickal. Both Nickal and Yianni had 13 matches against AAs (past/present/future - so far). All 13 of Yianni's were decisions. For Bo, 6 decisions, 1 MD, 6 pins. This does not take away from Yianni's accomplishments. It's just yet another metric to compare wrestlers.
Bo beat 3 NCAA champs (both Deans + Martin) at nationals, and likely would've been 4 (Moore) if the tourney weren't canceled.

23 AAs unless I missed several wrestlers (I didn't count the Covid cancelled year):
Van Ness 1
Lovett 1
Sasso 3
Murin 1
Meredith 3
Heil 3
Red 3
Demas 1
Eierman 4
McKenna 3
Since this is sort of a made up category, I counted each victory separately. So beating Eierman twice counted eight (8!) AAs toward Yianni's total, as an example. Dake may never have faced anyone twice in the tournament. One way of counting would favor Dake, the other would favor Yianni. Reductio ab absurdum argument: what if Yianni faced the same five guys each year, and each of them were 4xAA? That'd give him a count of only 20 AAs, but clearly the quality of his opponents would be superior.

It's all in fun, in any case.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT